Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 30 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 2.0 173 40.33%
Toyota Fortuner 118 27.51%
Mahindra Alturas G4 15 3.50%
Skoda Kodiaq 106 24.71%
Honda CR-V 4 0.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 13 3.03%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-endy-2.0.png

Ford Endeavour 2.0

What you'll like:

• A big all-rounded SUV with no real deal breaker. Fair pricing too
• Macho styling packs appeal. Solid build quality matches the butch presence
• Cabin is a nice place to be in. Likeable design, comfy seats & lots of storage
• The 2.0L diesel engine has “adequate” power and improved refinement levels
• New 10-speed AT is fantastic! And very smooth too
• Good balance between ride & handling for a body-on-frame SUV. Sweet steering as well
• Offroad ready - Terrain Management System, rear diff lock, 225 mm GC & 800 mm of water wading
• 5 star safety: ESP & TC, 7 airbags, roll stability control, hill launch assist etc.
• Loaded to the gill with features! Panoramic sunroof, 10 speaker ICE, powered tailgate & more
• Owners of the current-gen Endeavour have reported good reliability with their steeds

What you won't:

• 2.0L diesel simply doesn’t have the muscle, punch & soundtrack of the old 3.2L motor
• India doesn’t get the twin-turbo 210 BHP / 500 Nm version. Period
• Fortuner's cabin is roomier, offering more headroom & overall space
• Annoying feature deletions (e.g. headlamp washers) over the years
• Missing essentials (steering reach adjustment, tumbling 2nd row seat, paddle shifters)
• Ingress is difficult for the elderly / short folk. 3rd row access is terrible!
• Urban fuel economy is ordinary due to the fat 2410 kg kerb weight & AT
• No manual gearbox anymore. The Fortuner 2.8L 4x4 is available with an MT
• Weirdly, it’s now gotten heavier (despite a smaller engine) & has just 3 colour options!
• A bit uncertain of how the long-term after-sales will be, with the Mahindra-Ford JV

Review Link

Toyota Fortuner

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling & imposing street presence
• Tough build. Toyota body-on-frame UVs are known to have very long lives
• Powerful diesel and smooth petrol, with user-selectable driving modes too
• Interiors are much improved. Cabin is practical & user-friendly
• Loaded with features like Bi-beam LED headlamps, powered tailgate, paddle shifters & more
• Impressive offroad capability (by big SUV standards)
• Top-notch safety kit. 7 airbags, ABS, ESP, TC, hill assist, ISOFIX & 3-point seatbelts for all
• Toyota's excellent after-sales quality, fuss-free ownership experiences, low service costs & up to 7 years of extended warranty coverage

What you won't:

• Pricey! More expensive than the better-equipped & equally-competitive Ford Endeavour
• Missing sunroof, auto-dimming IRVM, lumbar adjustment, front parking sensors, auto-wipers etc.
• Ride quality – although improved – is still far from plush. You’ll feel the bumps
• Cost-cutting in a couple of areas; some interior plastics, ICE audio quality, camera display…
• Diesel’s short service interval of merely 5,000 km! Inconvenient for those with high usage
• Petrol variant is a guzzler. We saw merely 6 – 7 kmpl on the AT
• No longer a full-time 4x4. Also, 4x4 carries a Rs. 2.5 lakh premium on the MT (3 lakhs on the road)

Review Link

Mahindra Alturas G4
Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-dsc_0994.jpg

Initial impressions by SDP and Aditya

Skoda Kodiaq

What you'll like:

• An all-rounded luxury SUV! Classy styling, solid build & superb quality
• Cabin offers space, practicality and lots of intelligent features
• 3rd-row of seats is a crucial advantage over its many 5-seater competitors
• Impressive equipment list (panoramic sunroof, handsfree boot opener, auto parking...)
• 2.0L diesel is mated to a smooth 7-speed DSG automatic
• Car-like handling & road manners. Also, the AWD will get you out of tricky situations
• 5-star safety rating & equipment (9 airbags + a host of electronic aids)

What you won't:

• Power is 'adequate', but nothing 'special'. Should have gotten the 188 BHP & 400 Nm tune
• Overpriced by Rs. 5 lakhs. Priced at a serious premium over the Tiguan & Fortuner
• Cramped 3rd row of seats is strictly for children. A 5+2 SUV, not a 7-seater
• Styling is very understated. Doesn't have much street cred or presence
• Just one variant; no cheaper FWD or MT options either
• Should've gotten the Superb's ventilated seats & 12-speaker ICE
• Skoda’s ill-famed dealers & long-term reliability issues remain matters of concern

Review Link

Honda CR-V

What you'll like:

• New, sharper design has a wider appeal vs the previous-gen car
• Interior quality has taken a huge leap forward and is at par with European competitors
• Spacious cabin for 5. 7-seats available for added practicality
• The CR-V finally gets a diesel engine, that too with a 9-speed ZF AT!
• Sorted dynamics & car-like mannerisms
• Features such as the lane change camera, digital cockpit, push-button gear selector, panoramic sunroof & more

What you won't:

• Simply overpriced for what it offers!
• Small 1.6L diesel in a 30-lakh car. 9-speed AT deserves a more powerful motor
• 3rd row is best suited to kids only
• Some omissions such as front parking sensors, electronic tailgate operation etc.
• 7-seater variant only offered with the diesel
• Just 150 liters of boot space if 3rd-row seat is being used

Review Link

Last edited by blackwasp : 6th April 2020 at 13:34.
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the SUVs Section. Thanks for sharing!

I'm not one to usually vote for "other", but that's what I just did. My first choice will be a lightly used Endeavour 3.2 which IMHO is way superior to the 2.0 (better AT notwithstanding). Second choice would be the Kodiaq or Fortuner, depending on whether I need a car-like crossover or a tough body-on-frame 4x4.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:51   #3
BHPian

Voted for Endeavour 2.0, simply because it is best compromise among all others mentioned as 3.2 is discontinued, I suppose. Would love to see bi-turbo version in list.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th April 2020 at 18:21. Reason: Punctuation & typos. Please proof read before submitting your post.
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Endeavour, which to me is the best all rounder out there. Road presence, ride quality, features, reliability, technology, good resale and reasonably priced. The rear seat on the Fortuner is simply awful and I will not be able to convince my family. 150HP on a 45 lac car, Sorry Kodiaq, my humble Van makes as much power. Alturas to me is a serious contender, however 40 lac on Mahindra?I am not ready yet.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th April 2020 at 18:22. Reason: Spaces post punctuation.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 20:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Voted for Endeavour, which to me is the best all rounder out there. Road presence, ride quality, features, reliability, technology, good resale and reasonably priced. The rear seat on the Fortuner is simply awful and I will not be able to convince my family. 150HP on a 45 lac car, Sorry Kodiaq, my humble Van makes as much power. Alturas to me is a serious contender, however 40 lac on Mahindra?I am not ready yet.
True but real world speaking, the lower kerb weight and far superior DSG means the Kodiaq is the quickest in this comparo by a pretty significant margin.

It's the only one with 0-100Kmph as 10secs.

However the 190BHP tune would have doen wonders for the Kodiaq.

The comparo for me is between the Endeavour and the Kodiaq. Both cars cater to different type of buyer with one offering luxury and car like feel with a bit of soft off roading. The Endeavour is on the other spectrum with a somewhat utilitarian feel but rugged and brute like none of the others.

If I wanted brute offroad with proper butch looks it would be Endeavour.

If I was more inclined to city, highway and a bit of go anywhere capability once in a while it would be the Kodiaq.

Hence I got the Kodiaq recently.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:11   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I am more of a car(sedan) guy. So if I had to choose a car in this segment, I would rather go for the Superb or the Passat. A discounted Audi A4 or the 3 series would also do fine.

However, if I have to decide only among the SUVs in the segment, it has to be the Kodiaq as it is the most car like to drive and has the most opulent interior as well.

However, if Ford would have brought the 2.0 Bi-Turbo to our shores, I may have voted for the Endeavour as then, the power difference between the Kodiaq and the Endy would have been too wide to ignore.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:12   #7

The Fortuner any day. Endeavour 3.2 owned the fortuner in every aspect except the resale and maintenance areas. Then came the gearbox issue. We already have a thread on it.

The 2L engine is only adequate and the gearbox is a masterpiece. But overall the endeavour has lost the grunt and punch of the 3.2. So buying an endeavour just to get more features than the fortuner doesn't seem worthy anymore. The fortuner is a much relaxing vehicle to own and now beats the endeavour in the engine department too.

Can't afford to spend 40+ lakhs and deal with all the drama of Skoda A.S.S. So no Kodiaq for me. Anyways the Kodiaq's road manners are unmatched by any of these. Would love to drive one. But never owning one

The CR-V belongs with the compass and the Harrier.

The Alturas is a nice vehicle. But it feels too early to trust Mahindra with that kind of money.
BLUEK12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I actually voted for the CRV as it suits my needs best - I need a spacious 5 seater which is supremely car-like to drive and also less intimidating on the road (just like my duster). Although I would think Duster would beat the CRV in ride quality (especially my AWD Duster which has an all-wheel-independent suspension).
Kodiak would come second but I dont really need that big an SUV. Same for Endeavour - it would be 3rd on my list. I simply dont like the interiors of the Fortuner.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th April 2020 at 12:18. Reason: No acronyms please. Thank You.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Ford Endeavour 2.0 simply because I own the Endeavour 3.2L 4x4.
The Endeavour is a mean machine and gives an all round answer to all your needs be it off roading, highway cruising, seating, luggage space, build quality etc. My vote is for the Endeavour anyday.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 22:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I've voted for the Kodiaq .

Would've chosen Endeavour had it been a 3.2 L + 10 speed Auto. After having owned a Ford (fiesta) before and currently a Laura TDI which is still going strong at 185K + on the odo and 9 years with it , I guess i've a fair idea what a Skoda and a Ford brings to the table.

I've had the best of times behind the wheel with the Fiesta for 5 years and a lakh plus kms. I know for sure Ford's handling dynamics and steering inputs are the best in business. The leech like grip its chassis offers is unmatched. Any day I would prefer to be behind a wheel with a blue oval on it. Endy too lives up to those Ford's DNA undoubtedly.

Having said that, Kodiaq is more car like and has a future proof design compared to Endeavour. Endeavour despite having gone through few face lifts, it's rear still looks a bit dated for my liking. Skoda's build quality is unmatched and it's gonna be eviternal. Not to mean Ford is any slouch in that respect. Ford is one of the few manufacturers who has never compromised on the high strength steel element and has strong build too. Hence it's even stevens there.

In short, if one is looking for a tough suv and a true off roader which can handle most terrains with ease it's the Endeavour and if one needs a luxury car that's going to run predominantly on highways and wants more plush interiors it's Kodiaq. It's not so exciting 150 bhp is a downer though.

Recently I participated in an Endeavour's off road event in Bangalore as part of their 2.0 L launch. Driven through the staged off road tracks they had set up and boy I came out impressed with the off road hardwares and electronics in it , not to forget the strong mechanicals. All the obstacles they've set was indeed a cakewalk for the Endeavour and it amazed me how mechatronics loaded onto the car make such light work of the challenges thrown at the car. Few pics from the event.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220024_gallery.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220438_video-player.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220130_video-player.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220109_gallery.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220531_gallery.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220515_gallery.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition-screenshot_20200406220148_gallery.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 7th April 2020 at 12:23. Reason: Mod note attached.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 23:11   #11
BHPian

Fortuner gets my vote.

I believe the additional amount paid today will be recovered over the years in maintenance and resale.

Not gone for others option with second hand cars because that opens a plethora of options!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 04:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

For a big butch SUV to impress others, the Fortuner or Endeavour work well. Fortuner will be vastly superior when 4x4 is a key requirement as there is no replacement for displacement.

The last thing I want when spending 40 lakh rupees on an SUV is a hit or miss after sales (Skoda, Mahindra) or low power(Honda CR-V.) Is the Santa Fe discountinued?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 7th April 2020 at 04:59.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I would’ve voted for the Endeavor anyday, but - When you think of a proper SUV, the only thing that comes in 2 Liters is milk. If it had come with the Ranger Raptor tune, maybe... same goes with CRV.

That said, my vote goes to Kodiaq for its sheer class and practicality, and also the Fortuner for it’s no nonsense ability.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:11   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
150HP on a 45 lac car, Sorry Kodiaq, my humble Van makes as much power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
True but real world speaking, the lower kerb weight and far superior DSG means the Kodiaq is the quickest in this comparo by a pretty significant margin.

It's the only one with 0-100Kmph as 10secs.
And that's not even bringing in its road manners. On any mountain road, the Kodiaq will run rings around its body-on-frame competitors. @ PrideRed: If you want speed, the Kodiaq with a simple remap is the one for you.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer the Toyota.

Here are the reasons:
  • Proper Large Displacement Engine with "Effortless" Power & Torque compared to the constipated power trains of it's rivals.
  • Un-flinching Reliability
  • Excellent Re-sale Value
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed