Old 5th May 2019, 20:02   #46
r.K
BHPian

Re: Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4

I'm in the same dilemma. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- Must be an SUV
- 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (new or used. I will take a loan)

And on the other hand I'm also thinking why not go for a used bmw/audi/volvo (don't think suv would fit in budget)

I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
What is the avg cost of maintenance for a used volvo and the German cars?
Would I be able to purchase warranty on the used car?
Old 8th May 2019, 15:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
I'm in the same dilemma. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- Must be an SUV
- 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (new or used. I will take a loan)

And on the other hand I'm also thinking why not go for a used bmw/audi/volvo (don't think suv would fit in budget)

I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
What is the avg cost of maintenance for a used volvo and the German cars?
Would I be able to purchase warranty on the used car?

I had a similar dilemma about the same time last year, and needed a car to push on where there aren't roads (not hardcore off-road trails), seat 5 in comfort, house a dog and enough luggage for 4 odd days.

A 7 seater was deemed feasible, and with a similar budget, booked a pre-worshipped Fortuner: 6 years old, 40k km on the odo, 4X4. Drove and rejected an Endy of similar vintage, primarily for the iffy suspension on the rear wheels.

A few days post the Fortuner, happened to drive the Hexa, and was genuinely blown away. Booked the 4X4, and have been a happy bunny for the last 7 months. Clocked 17k km till now, with several sojourns off the paved surface.

It is an AWD, but with enough grunt and GC to clear most of what I generally have to face. Packs ESP, roll-over mitigation, HDC, curtain air-bags, side air-bags and most of all, fantastic suspension. Munches miles happily (admittedly, the most I have driven in her over a day is around 650km), and in absolute comfort.

The sound set up is an added bonus.

Last edited by thedragonreborn : 8th May 2019 at 15:52. Reason: Added details
thedragonreborn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 18:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents...
  • If hardcore off-road trails/destinations are out of bounds, then let's drop the "proper" 4WD vehicles (read low range) from the discussion. With this, you also eliminate all body-on-frame SUVs which, by the way, can NEVER provide you the levels of comfort that a monocoque crossover can
  • With that out of the way, if you need a 5-seater AWD, do not look any further than the Duster AWD - known for its unmatched ride quality and surprisingly capable AWD prowess. Jeep Compass 4WD could be another contender but IMHO, it is not worth the extra money that you'd pay over the Duster.
  • If it is a 7-seater that you are looking for, Tata Hexa AWD is a very strong contender. The ride quality, plush interiors, ICE, are all top notch. It is an amazing tourer.
  • If AWD is not a must-have then the Ford Ecosport petrol AT is an amazing car. A close friend has it and he swears by the driving pleasure.

Hope this helps!
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:15   #49
BHPian

if Fast , comfortable, frugal, stable, reliable and capable are the qualities you are looking for, in your tourer, then Duster AWD all the way
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:56   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Touring involves a lot of driving, my priority list for a vehicle that I would take.

Good Engine - Larger the better , Good throttle response & Effortless in-gear acceleration.
Tall seating - Chair like tall seats (and armrest) makes sure you reach destination with less fatigue.
Comfy ride - Big tires matter, the pitch , roll, dive etc of tall SUVs do not matter if you know how to drive well within their limits, they isolate the roads pretty well, you can make quick progress on patchy roads \ no roads as well.
Visibility - Tall seating ensures good overall visibility, your body is upright and free to move around, usually you are looking down at others , wide big mirrors.
Night driving - Tall overall driving position (the high beams from the other side is less bothersome ) and great headlights that shine far and wide.
Loud horn - Its a safety device, use it for safety. It even stops animals from getting onto your way. Truck cabins are loud, they may not even hear you with a mini sweetie horn (some cars have this cute one).
Road Presence - Some have it, some do not, makes it just that bit easier to clear the road ahead and for others to spot you.

Thats the short one, I think you can zero down on a few vehicles with this list and of course add 4X4 to your filter as well.
Old 29th May 2020, 21:39   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Upgrade to an AWD AT sub 15L SUV

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread here. Mods, please move the thread if in the wrong section.

As of now, I drive a 2010 Skoda Superb 2.0TDI DSG (bought in May 2018). The car has been really fun to drive but also a nightmare when it comes to service and repairs. No matter what I do, something or the other keeps breaking. I think it's time that I let go off the 'Leviathan'.

Mods done:
-Bi-xenons upgraded to Bi-LED (high beam and fog halogens converted as well)
-Outdated RCD510 head unit replaced with VW RCD 330G
-LED interior lights

Now, back to addressing the elephant in the room. So I am changing jobs and have a bit of savings with me (plus a bit of help from parents) coming to about 15L but wouldn't mind saving a bit for mods and other things (say DSLR body upgrade or another 7 string guitar)

The requirements:

- AWD or 4x4 preferred (except one exceptional vehicle)
- AT (has to be, my leg hurts in traffic with an MT)
- Reliable (yes, Skoda. Once bitten, twice shy )
- Reasonable service and repair costs (a bit lower than the Superb's, provided the vehicle is reliable)
- Parts availability

Options considered so far (with assumptions):

- New Thar (will it launch with AT+4x4? Somewhat of a unicorn combination in India)
- New Jimny AT (Hope Maruti Suzuki doesn't snuff the 4x4 capabilities)
- Used Hexa XTA 2017 (only RWD exception in the list)
- Used CR-V 2.4AT 2013-16 (bad mileage? Just 5 cogs?)
- Used Fortuner 4x4 AT 2015 (don't see prices coming down anytime soon)
- Used 3.2L Endeavour 2016 (same issue as above)
- Used X3 30d 2012 (service might be murder)
- Used XUV500 AWD AT (those are rare, aren't they?)

Compass 4x4 AT and Trailhawk are way too new to be in my budget.

Compared to me, the members here have seen the world and they know their way around it. Hence, I would sincerely request advice on this purchase. It will be done anytime between August - December 2020

P.S. Some pictures of my Leviathan:

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-rsz_dsc_8908.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20191122_010311.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20190819_190937_hdr.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20190829_191211_hdr.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20190831_084449_hdr.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20191022_083524_hdr.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20180722_172043.jpg

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-20200522_133749.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2020 at 08:45. Reason: Typos corrected, punctuation marks. Please proof-read your posts before submitting. Thanks.
vredesbyrd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 01:12   #52
BHPian

Re: Upgrade to an AWD AT sub 15L SUV

If you are fine with manual gear box, look for Duster AWD, it's a very capable vehicle. Wait for New Thar & Jimny only if you are looking for a vehicle for off roading purpose as well.
karan0009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 02:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jimny situation unfortunately remains very hypothetical and speculative. Thar is never going to come with an automatic, it is going to be MT only. And it is not practical for daily use. Hexa XTA, well, I own one. It is not a simple RWD, has a limited slip rear differential. It obviously can’t match the off road abilities of the Endy 3.2 and Co. but will go everywhere a CRV or X3 will go and in comfort which Fortuner people can only dream of. It is surprisingly capable.

The best fit for your requirement though, it the Isuzu V Cross. It is a proper 4x4 and comes with a very decent 6 speed automatic. The vehicle itself is very capable. And is loaded enough and practical enough to be used as a daily drive. Plus, it is a lifestyle choice which you can upgrade and build over time as per your fancies. Most importantly, you’ll buy it brand new. Isuzus are super reliable. This is slightly over budget, but is the best option.

An alternative option, as you are open to buying per loved, can be Isuzu MUX. V Cross is a pick up, this is the SUV version. But you won’t get the new 6 speed AT, this runs an older 5 speed torque converter.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 30th May 2020 at 02:48.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 13:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

The 2020 Thar looks very interesting even for people not looking to go off the beaten trail. It’s going to be offered in Petrol and Diesel with AT boxes being offered in both versions. It may also be offered with a soft and hard top version with normal creature comforts being thrown in.

It may turn out to be a winning strategy by Mahindra with this 2020 model and worth your while in waiting for it.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ever-25574.htm

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 30th May 2020 at 13:07. Reason: Adding text.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 14:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

My only gripe with the Thar is the lack of luggage space. In my opinion you can go on a tour on this vehicle since the is no space except for sitting.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 14:29   #56
BHPian

I think a used Santa Fe AWD AT is a good option. Is a hoot to drive too.

Last edited by AnandB : 30th May 2020 at 14:30.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 14:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
If you are fine with manual gear box, look for Duster AWD, it's a very capable vehicle. Wait for New Thar & Jimny only if you are looking for a vehicle for off roading purpose as well.
Oh I absolutely adore the Duster. Drove the 110PS RXZ a year back. But then again, has to be an automatic. My left foot hurts really bad after driving an MT in traffic. I wish they had the unicorn 4x4 AT combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hexa XTA, well, I own one. It is not a simple RWD, has a limited slip rear differential. It obviously can’t match the off road abilities of the Endy 3.2 and Co. but will go everywhere a CRV or X3 will go and in comfort which Fortuner people can only dream of. It is surprisingly capable.
My heart is set on Hexa pretty strongly. Seen vids of people doing mild off road stuff. Plus, the stereo is something on another level. Yes, I will have a look at Isuzu. But is the 6AT available on older releases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
It may turn out to be a winning strategy by Mahindra with this 2020 model and worth your while in waiting for it.
They say launch is when lockdown is lifted. Fingers crossed. Hope the combo is there and not cut out like Tata dows things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
My only gripe with the Thar is the lack of luggage space. In my opinion you can go on a tour on this vehicle since the is no space except for sitting.
With regard to that, will put luggage on the rear seats and throw people out

Luggage space was never a real concern for me. If I had a 7 seater, I'd fold the 3rd row permanently. I prefer humans occupy only 50% or less of the seating capacity. On the flipside, Thar has much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I think a used Santa Fe AWD AT is a good option. Is a hoot to drive too.
Yes, on paper and the review here, seems nearly perfect. That, plus Hyundai's fuss-free ownership. However, I've heard that the gearbox is a bit of a junk actually.

Mod Note: Please avoid back to back posts. Use the multi-quote feature

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2020 at 15:36. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 30th May 2020, 15:25   #58
BHPian

Can't comment on auto box as mine was manual and yeah auto might have taken some kick of that 195hp engine but still think you should test-drive one.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 15:28   #59
BHPian

Absolutely. Wilco, as soon as situation settles down a bit. Parents too prefer Santa Fe and Hexa above everything else in the list.
Old 1st June 2020, 01:03   #60
BHPian

I've also considered the Q3 and the Evoque. Will be sticking to FNGs for the entirety of my possession of the vehicle. Q3 seems okay with reliability. What about the Evoque? They are so small that one could park them in Bangalore with 50% success rate. Especially Evoque because I want to do Leh in 2021 and will stop at nothing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks