View Poll Results: Which car for me?
Kia Seltos 203 69.76%
Hyundai Creta 88 30.24%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 22:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs Hyundai Creta

Since more or less the Creta 1.4 and Seltos 1.4 are the same mechanically (the most part)

If you are looking for a comfortable ride and comfortable and well cushioned backseat with more light inside the cabin feeling, the Creta will be the better option.

But, if you are someone who enjoys driving hard and fast with more responsive steering response and can do with little firm suspension and little hard backseat then its the Seltos for you.

And along with these you will have to decide if you want a 360 camera(seltos) or a panoramic sunroof with paddle shifters(creta).
Old 31st July 2020, 23:34   #32

Well then, as a perspective buyer, the same conundrum exists for me as well. I too have gone through virtually all reviews and comparison videos on youtube and read relevant articles/forums without a miss. But, if you are there not to just comment but to buy, its a never ending debate between Creta and Seltos, un-identical but twins none the less. Expect the dilemma to be there even when get one in your garage.

Being in the same boat my recommendation is that since they are mechanically similar with bells n whistles galore eventually resulting in a tie. It boils down to only two factors Exterior Looks and Back End Support Structure (ASS, Resale etc), to make matters worse, they are diametrically opposite on these fronts.

So, buying decision would be as under:-
(a) Priority to Looks, Gamble With Support. Go with Seltos.
(b) Priority to Support and Accepting the Looks. Its Creta.

For me Support cannot be compromised and guess its Creta for me.

Having said that wish it was that easy to commit. As I said it earlier, its gonna continue till one reaches your garage.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2020 at 06:47. Reason: Extra smiley deleted. Only 2 smileys permitted per post.
judgejassi@gmai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 00:20   #33
BHPian

Hey msnarain, I'm in the exact same boat as you are. It's a straight shootout between the Seltos and Creta at my place. With a few issues that need to be sorted at my house with parking and possibly (with a heavy heart) letting go father's old SX4, either car is sure to end up in my stable.

And when I say same boat, there are chances of my family expanding in the next couple of years. So let me list out a couple of things that I've noticed after taking test drives, poring over threads here and all those YouTube videos. It's a tough choice not made easier by the offerings by both siblings.

The Seltos should be your pick if:

1) You wake up wishing to drive the car around the world. And the Seltos is a driver's car with the way the ride and the steering has been tuned. It begs to be driven

2) You are someone who wants to "stand out" from a gathering. Believe you me, a GTX+ in blue shade turns a lot of heads in the market and neighborhood. Even if it has those test drive stickers plastered over the side

3) You want to get features that are from a segment higher without it costing a bomb. Be it that delicious steering or the 1.4 TGDI in manual. It's also the smaller bits like the blindspot camera and other useful features that make this car an attractive buy

The Creta should be your pick if:

1) You wake up saying "Okay, what's the most fuss free way in which I can tackle traffic today". And believe you me, traffic in Bangalore will get insane when that smooth autobox in the Creta will start to make that much more sense. While it is almost on par with the Seltos, this one feels a little more easy on your nerves in stop go traffic

2) You want to make the drive more comfortable for the rear seat passengers, at a marginal dent to your driving experience.The ride, for those in the rear, does feel that much more plush and premium than the Seltos. Thanks to the way the suspensions are setup.

3) You can live with the "extremely polarizing" looks. Because the Creta's looks, much like Amul's single origin dark chocolates, is an acquired taste in comparison to the Seltos' looks that are like the Choco Cracker from Amul. Both amazing in their own right but the former will feel bitter in the beginning

Oh and if you're wondering what my vote was for, it was the Creta. The fact that 5 year/50k kms warranty even exists and a sense of familiarity with the SA's at my Hyundai will want me to not look elsewhere. Still a while to go for me to get this but I wish you arrive at a decision and post your experience soon.

I'd honestly like to know why Hyundai, in their infinite wisdom, chose to go with UX Royale's on a car that's upward of 18L on road in Bangalore. I'm sure there's a story there.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 08:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Seltos.

I have driven both the cars. Both 1.5 diesel manuals

It is more fun to drive and looks much better than the creta.

I felt the hard plastics in the interiors of creta was much more felt than in the seltos. I would prefer to be in Seltos anyday. I like the dash layout of the seltos better too.

But creta seats seemed more accommodating (I am a big guy) than the seltos. Seltos front seats felt a bit cramped even when compared to our Rapid's.

Kia Seltos vs Hyundai Creta-img_20190822_154642_656.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st August 2020 at 08:36.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 11:24   #35
BHPian

I would go for the Venue based on the info you have given. It has enough goodies to feel like an upgrade over the Brio, will be cheaper and does come with 6 airbags for protection.

If you don't need the extra space it doesn't make sense to go for the Seltos or the Creta. Especially in congested cities like Mumbai or Bangaluru. You will thank the decision to go for a smaller car when stuck in traffic.

If you are bent on a choice between the Seltos and the Creta, my vote is for the Seltos. They are identical in most aspects as everyone has mentioned apart from a few things here and there. The Seltos just has more of the stuff you will actually use than the Creta. In a hot country where we do all to keep the sun out, a panoramic sunroom defies logic especially in hot places like Mumbai. You will hardly use it. Same goes for paddle shifters. Ask anybody who has them on their cars, how many times they have used them and you will get your answer. 360 degree camera on the other hand on the Seltos, you will use everyday when reversing. The variants on these baffle me but I think you only get 6 airbags on the top variants in the Seltos
Old 1st August 2020, 21:42   #36
BHPian

I had voted for the Creta. The looks are subjective and I feel the exterior is not going to age well. Apart from that, I think the Creta is better than Seltos. I like the interior better. The ICE integration is much better on the Hyundai. It does not stick out like on the Seltos. The Creta SX variant will save you some money and giving you ESP, Traction Control and Hill Hold assist at a lower price point than the Seltos. As for a manual car, I would prefer the Ecosport Diesel Sports. Since this was ruled out already, I would pick the SX D AT variant of the 2020 Creta.

However, I have my reservations about Hyundai. I have never owned a Hyundai. So, whatever opinion I have gathered through this forum or my little interactions with Hyundai support.

As far as I understand, Creta is a solid vehicle with very few niggles. However, if there is an issue, users are mostly at the mercy of the dealerships. There is very little support for the users from the Hyundai India company. The customer care redirects to the very dealership, social media is mostly unresponsive.
I do not have any better experience with Hyundai's sister concern, Kia. I had booked an HTK+ D AT Seltos and then decided to cancel due to a lack of any safety features beyond the absolute basic. As soon as I dropped an email to the dealership to cancel my booking, they were unresponsive. I didn't even get an acknowledgment of the cancellation e-mail. I had to reach out to Kia Care on Twitter to move the cancellation. This is frustrating, to say the least.

I am not sure if that is the norm with Hyundai/Kia India or if this is just due to the COVID situation.

On the other hand, I see Mr. Zac Hollis of Skoda Auto personally responding to most if not all queries and complaints on Twitter. Knowing that in the case are of a severe issue, the top boss of the company will want to listen and help gives me a little more peace of mind. I do not own a Skoda so this is just my thought process, not an endorsement!
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:37   #37
BHPian

I also have a 2012 Brio which is doing pretty well even now but have been looking for an upgrade over the last year for three reasons:
- Looking for an automatic due to the daily driving hassles
- Something more spacious and comfortable as the family has grown
- More convenient to go on long trips.

I was pretty much sold on Seltos towards the end of last year post the test drive but various issues keep getting reported, which kept me waiting as Kia was a new brand in India. Also the top end at 22l+ was stretching my budget.

I have travelled a fair bit in the previous gen Creta and like it quite a bit. However, I am quite picky about looks, more so when spending 20l and keeping it for the next 8-10 years. So the current gen doesn't work for me at all. It's a no without even considering anything else.

Strangely, Honda has given quite a surprise with the 5th Gen City.
- Looks premium
- Super comfortable/spacious,
- Very ergonomically done
- Excellent, improved and reliable engine (including the CVT)
- Loaded with features
- Reasonable after sales service
- Great resale value
- For the top models, costs 4l less than the other 2! This gets amplified in the current economic situation.
- If it matters, more exclusivity as it will not sell as many as Creta/Seltos

For the kind of use you mention, it may be suited much better in my opinion, if you may want to consider it!

All the best with making the decision!
Aditya Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 22:46   #38
BANNED

Are you confused yet? If not, wait for another 20 opinions.

Best way forward? Take the missus to see and sit in both cars. Then buy the one that she likes. That’s a decision that you will simply not regret. Also, you will have some collateral that will go a long way in the relationship.

Be advised that all this talk about one car being more fun to drive over the other is all making too much of slight differences. Truth is that these are all just standard issue cars that are average in every sense.

Sure, you can engage in a debate till the end of time as to which car has better highway manners and which one is more fun and all that. But unless you are one of those truly blessed souls with a ton of time to drive and drive and drive towards the horizon, a debate is just not worth it. And if you are one of those souls, you sure won’t be shopping in this class of cars.

I mean, if you really wanted chuckable fun, you should buy the original Mini Cooper or the Fiat 500 and drive those in Europe. If you wanted real ride quality and an upscale experience, you should buy one of the big SUVs with a 3 liter V6 engine in the US and drive it there.

Here, you buy the car that gives you decent space and that won’t break the bank. And if the missus likes it, you have a winner. Period. Don’t spend an inordinate amount of time agonising over this decision. It is a giant waste of time.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:06   #39

I was on the same boat for about a couple of months, kept finalizing my upgrade in the order.
Skoda Rapid --> VW Vento --> Honda City --> Kia Seltos --> Tata Harrier --> Kia Seltos. (I know it's a wierd order, but each had their own usp and reasons)

I don't think it's fair to compare the Venue with other 2, as clearly the dimensions are not the same.

Revv/ZoomCar/Drivezy has never convinced for more than a weekend deal for an extended family as most of the cars I have seen or heard of have been broken by careless drivers and does not give you the sense of happiness inside.

It would pretty much come down to the Seltos vs Creta discussion, yet again.
And once it gets there, it's a very tough call to pick from them. Give it 2 more days and you will be double confused on this.
I don't think you'd be getting a single answer here as well as this is by far, the closest battle I have seen in most forums.

Also, I strongly recommend you try out the automatic variants, one of the very few variants to make you smile in cities. In case you want more control, you can have the manual override at any point of time.

Though most people are not convinced by the looks of the Creta, it's something that will grow on you slowly and steadily.
But weighing options, I can easily say that having more practical and usable features made me go for the Seltos.

The panormaic sunroof (it does makes the car look awesome) the paddle shifters (which I dont think is a very useful feature on a DCT) and the very very useful electric parking brake with auto-hold (nothing short of a blessing in cities) would not be as useful as the front parking sensors (much much needed as clearly you are upgrading to a new segment/size), 360 degree camera (required daily, at least twice) and the heads-up display (just show-off )
Also, to me, the car has to feel safe than premium and clearly, the seltos feels more grounded and under your control.

Some very small basic advantages that I felt also added confidence for me in the Seltos over the Creta.
  • The window line in Seltos provides you more visibility than the Creta for passengers in the rear.
  • The position of the wireless charger ensures you are not looking at the mobile while driving and keeps it cool.
  • The door in Seltos will always close in full with a gentle push (like the German cars) and would not be stuck-mid way.
  • Straight positioning of the Infotainment works better and avoids glare in sunny situation.
  • The fifth head-rest, which makes the middle passenger also feel included; people overlook this safety feature often.
  • The soft-touch material and plastic quality in Seltos works better, especially with kids.
  • The crystal cut alloy wheels in Seltos are toooo good, no competition here.
  • The added feature of perfume dispenser with the air purifier is a fine touch indeed.

All these after looking from a Seltos angle, now maybe from a Creta angle, there might be other winners, but to me, the weight is clearly on the Seltos side of the balance.

PS: One strange thing that I noticed is that Hyundai was desperate to sell me Creta, offered me the same for about 48,000/- less than the quoted ex-showroom price and kept calling me and offering additional test drives a week after I booked the Seltos, this added my confidence as I don't see another reason for clearly the segment leader to be afraid if it was not for Seltos making them get out of their comfort zones and fight.
jkmmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post

Help a brother out!
I would have really gone with the Kia Seltos any time since its more appealing than the Creta in terms of design and looks(though the creta design has me going now) still i would suggest you to try out both and go for what your heart says.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd August 2020 at 17:35. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post. Only quote relevant sections you'd like to refer to.
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Help a brother out!
Help's on the way, brother.

Here the important points that I've captured:
  1. Don't need this car to commute
  2. Both enjoy driving
  3. Both have fallen in love with the Compass
  4. Going to use it for weekend drives
  5. A proper upgrade over the Brio
  6. Kid in the back has to be safe
  7. Won't stay in Mumbai permanently

If you just "need" a car for a few years, buy a cheap used beater (Polo, Figo) for a couple of lakhs.

But if you want to buy a car you'll love, then buy the car you've fallen in love with. You can get 2 year old Diesel Compasses in Mumbai for as much money as a new Creta/Seltos.

Let's compare it to your requirements one by one:
  1. Commute - ATs are required for commutes. Since you don't need to commute in it, you don't need an AT.
  2. Enjoy Driving - Compass is a through and through driver's car. It's the only crossover listed in Team Bhp's fun to drive cars list.
  3. Love the Compass - Since you've fallen in love with the Compass, if you buy a Seltos/Creta, you'll always pine when you see a Compass go by
  4. Weekend drives - Compass is great for the beautiful ghats around Mumbai
  5. Proper Upgrade - Any C/D segment car is a proper upgrade over the Brio. Compass, being a D segment car is a bigger upgrade than the C segment Seltos and Creta.
  6. Rear Safety - If I had to choose between putting my kid in the back seat of a 2 airbag Compass vs a 6 airbag Seltos/Creta, I'd put him in the Compass. Airbags aren't the last word on safety. The build quality of the car matters just as much. Airbags don't prevent crumpled steel from crushing you.
  7. Short term ownership - Used cars depreciate way less than new ones.

The Creta and Seltos loose out to the Compass in all the above points. Remember, don't be half assed in your vices.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:49   #42
BHPian

I have chosen Creta.

I was in market for a City Driving (occasional highway runs also) AT car for my wife. The selected cars were Creta, Seltos and similar (you know all of them).
After striking out all other then these two, my wife selected Creta for its panoramic sunroof. My choice would also be the same but for its soft ride and better dealer network. Creta's looks dont bother me either. Somehow, I find Creta IVT a bit silent too.
noopster1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:10   #43
BHPian

Creta

- New creta has panoramic sunroof, wins hands down as its tried and tested.
- Loaded with features. Similar to Kia and then more.
- ASS is without doubt awesome.
- Looks are subjective but I say go check out the creta in person and the look will grow on you.
- Feels much more premium than seltos.
- FE is a notch better than seltos.
- I own one
Teqhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 00:26   #44
BHPian

Thanks to each one of you for the amazing analysis and reply. Really helped!

TL;DR: I booked the Kia Seltos GTX+ P MT today Test drove it over the weekend and the 1.4 turbo petrol is a joy to drive! The sunroof in the Creta is beautiful, agreed. But I don't see a lot of practical value in that (hat tip torquecraver, powertrain and sidhnik). If Hyundai had offered a manual on the turbopetrol in the top variant, it would have been a different story though. Hoping Kia replicates the Hyundai playbook once again for A.S.S.

The booking experience was straight forward. I was talking to 3 different showrooms. Not much difference except for the insurance. Kia's insurance is around 60k. When I pushed back, the sales person brought up the non-Kia insurance from Tata AIG.

Here's what Kia's insurance offers over the Tata AIG policy (as per the sales person)
  1. Unlimited NCB claims (TAIG covers 2)
  2. Rat bites
  3. 50k coverage for lost keys. TAIG covers only 25k. (The entire cost for this is ~60k as claimed by the sales person)

There are Tbhpians replying to these queries of mine here (Kia Seltos : Official Review) in case you are interested.

On a side note, it looks like banks are aggressively discounting interest rates for car loans. HDFC initially did not budge and offered to decrease rates if I paid advance EMI. It makes no sense and I wonder if people actually buy it. My RM then offered to reduce the % a little bit, apart from a discount on stamp duty and processing fee. My Kotak RM on the other hand was very aggressive, even offering to set me up with a Kia showroom he has worked with before and decreasing the ROI to match SBI's! I did the math and there seems to be nothing scammy going on here.

There was some debate in the house - wife wanted manual while I wanted the auto. She won this round. She wanted the black, grey or the silver and absolutely hates white cars. Because she won the previous transmission round, I won this round. We are getting a white Seltos.

Thanks, GTO for adding the poll and for pointing me to the thread. Was helpful. And thanks to all those who voted.

Thanks, evil_grin for that breakdown. Screams MBA to me. And thanks mohanrides for that solid advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmmenon View Post

PS: One strange thing that I noticed is that Hyundai was desperate to sell me Creta, offered me the same for about 48,000/- less than the quoted ex-showroom price and kept calling me and offering additional test drives a week after I booked the Seltos, this added my confidence as I don't see another reason for clearly the segment leader to be afraid if it was not for Seltos making them get out of their comfort zones and fight.
Congrats! Do you already have it in your garage or waiting for delivery? The only thing I am worried about right now is Kia's service. Happy to hear your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya Gupta View Post
Strangely, Honda has given quite a surprise with the 5th Gen City.

For the kind of use you mention, it may be suited much better in my opinion, if you may want to consider it!

All the best with making the decision!
We did consider the City. We were just bored of the Honda. We had test driven the Jazz and City back in Chennai and they just felt like a bigger Brio - interiors, steering, knobs and stalks. Once we get back to Chennai, we will anyway have the iVTEC back in our garage for the grocery runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Voted for Seltos.

I have driven both the cars. Both 1.5 diesel manuals

It is more fun to drive and looks much better than the creta.

I felt the hard plastics in the interiors of creta was much more felt than in the seltos. I would prefer to be in Seltos anyday. I like the dash layout of the seltos better too.

But creta seats seemed more accommodating (I am a big guy) than the seltos. Seltos front seats felt a bit cramped even when compared to our Rapid's.

Attachment 2036916
Congrats! Looks beautiful! Can't wait to get to drive mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post

Although, I would love the Seltos to have the electronic handbrake & paddle shifters from the Creta.

P.S - I have a Seltos GTX+ D AT.
Happy Hunting!
YES! That really made the Creta tempting. But then as Amsdoc pointed out (thanks, Doc!) I knew I could live without the paddle shifters. How's Kia's service so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijith View Post
I got the attached email from Jeep today. I believe they have 2 strong points for you to get the Compass back in consideration

1) Special loan scheme for females
2) 7.35% for a car loan

I do understand the above 2 are with the usual * marks of car adverts, but nothing to check and find out the sweetest deal possible from them in the current scenario. Like GTO mentioned, you never know what you might get surprised with!
Jeep did come up in a couple of conversations over the weekend. We decided it's just not meant to be. At least not for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
I own a Seltos GTX+ Manual, and all I can say is that it's incredibly fun to drive. If you have no problems using a stick shifter, you should definitely go for the Seltos! It's a brilliant all-rounder.

Do go through the Seltos ownership reviews, they're comprehensive and very helpful.

Karan 561's GTX+ DCT: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...l-gtx-dct.html (Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT))

Here's mine: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ol-mt-gtx.html (My Kia Seltos 1.4L Petrol MT GTX+)

Wishing you all the very best.
Thanks BZ25, you have no idea how many times I have read your review (and the other threads you had kindly linked). Well played, and thanks for that detailed thread.
msnarain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to each one of you for the amazing analysis and reply. Really helped!

TL;DR: I booked the Kia Seltos GTX+ P MT today Test drove it over the weekend and the 1.4 turbo petrol is a joy to drive! The sunroof in the Creta is beautiful, agreed. But I don't see a lot of practical value in that (hat tip torquecraver, powertrain and sidhnik). I:
Just curious, did you consider the Harrier AT which would have been a D-segment car for a not-so-D segment price ?
I am currently in the same boat - Seltos/Creta/Harrier AT-> Compass. I feel that the Compass makes sense only in its 4wd avatar. Otherwise the 2wd options are better VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks