Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Harrier 315 56.55%
Hyundai Creta 45 8.08%
Kia Seltos 107 19.21%
MG Hector 5 0.90%
Mahindra XUV500 10 1.80%
Jeep Compass 67 12.03%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.44%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 10:43   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Absolutely agree... all suitable replacements cost >40L and I didnt want to pay the EMI thru the nose. The Safari is probably the best compromise - VFM package at 27L. I wanted a car that can seat 5+2, higher CG (to reach my farm) and an automatic for that convenience. The Ford Endeavour Titanium at 37L, Toyota Innova Crysta at 31L were the nearest competitors (all cost OTR BLR).

I've done two solo runs BLR <> CJB and have come out quite comfortably, perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I have similar cars to yours. A Jetta TDI and a Laura 1.8TSI, along with a few others. Problem is nothing comes close to any of our cars right now, unless we jump to the 40+ Lakh price bracket, which I am not interested in doing.

I agree the Safari with Bench seats for the second row is the most comfortable. The pilot seats aren't wide enough or supportive enough to make sense and those silly armrests are just ridiculous. This is one of the few cars where I feel the Bench is better than the Pilot. Sadly, the steering and gearbox are dealbreakers for us. I did drive it extensively and I can sense fatigue setting in over long drives due to the repeated steering inputs.

I need get out and look at all the cars again.

Last edited by AirWind : 6th July 2021 at 10:45.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 13:15   #137
BHPian

Hello,

I am late to the discussion, but still posting this.
I was in the market for a car for almost 1.5 years now. I wanted to buy a car and not necessarily an SUV in the 18 - 24 lacs bracket (on-road). This is the maximum I can spend in terms of the budget. Now coming to the cars:

1. Verna diesel automatic (SXO)- Deep inside, I am very old fashioned. I still think a sedan looks better than a tall SUV and the ride/ handling will be better. Took a TD and found that the Verna felt "meh" to me. It did not impress me with anything. Drive, handling, interior look and feel - nothing. I felt it was not worth 18 lacs on road Kochi. Ruled out.

2. Creta diesel automatic - I understand that many have now started to put up with the Creta's looks. I still think it looks ugly. The interiors too did not impress me. Ruled out.

3. Seltos diesel automatic (GT) - The car looks fine to my eyes. It was overdone when it was launched, but now with more overdone cars, it looks great. The interior quality was good and gave me a "feel good" feeling using the car. The wiper stalks, switchgear etc. were well put together. Attention to detail was also great and so are the feature list. Took a TD and noted that the engine is refined and smooth (unlike my Figo diesel) and shift quality was good. I felt that the car is only adequately powered for its size - the engine gets stressed when you put the foot down for an overtake, and gearbox keeps it on the boil when you need power. Nothing worrying, but felt as if the engine is at its near limits of performance. The worrying part is the ride quality - it felt stiff and road imperfections are felt inside the cabin. I had to slow down on patchy roads, which I did not enjoy. Safety rating bothers me - How can you bottom out front airbags in a crash! That coupled with unstable body shows poor engineering.
Handling was good for an SUV. The size of the car was also perfect. It was not bulky, but had adequate space. Shortlisted.

4. Tata Harrier (XZA) - The beast of the lot here. The car is in line with full size SUVs. Noted nothing wrong with the interiors - it was good and pleasant. One thing which grabbed my attention of the TD car was that the engine start stop button and the driver side door handle (inside) had its paint wiped out due to usage (not scratch). This meant poor quality. Switches, stalks etc. felt okay and not as good as Seltos. Also, a lot of features were lacking compared to the Seltos. The infotainment and instrument cluster displays looked and seemed okay to me, but for some reason, the graphics felt as if it was from a previous generation car. The quality of the screen (regardless of the fact that you won't look at it while driving) looks kind of boring in this age.
Drive was good. Car was powerful and felt that the car had a lot of power in reserve (unlike the Seltos). Harrier never had to rev the engine too much to get going in daily use. It was calm and composed. However, the cabin gets a lot nosier when revved and the engine refinement/ insulation is not as good or close to Seltos. Handing was also as expected, but the suspension tuning was out of this world! It was perfect for our roads - not too soft (like Hector) nor too firm (like Seltos). The size bothers me a bit - our locality has narrow roads. But road presence helps - other smaller cars/ autos gets intimidated by the Harrier and gives way! It is not crash tested, but I feel it will fare much better than the Seltos, considering the D8 platform (This is not a plus for Harrier at the moment, unless it is tested and proven - I am an auditor by profession. So I won't/ can't go by hypothesis).
I've been reading about so many niggles and troubles with Harrier ownership - small issues with infotainment to larger issues with engine start/ stop. I just don't have the time or patience to deal with ownership issues. The nature of my work is such that I can't spend time on these things. I need the car when I need it, in the perfect condition for a weekend drive. This is the biggest let down with the Harrier. Shortlisted

5. Kushaq - out of the picture. I'm not buying a DQ200 gearbox car. We have one at home and every time I take it out for a long drive, I get a question in my mind - "would I get stranded?" The 1L torque converter variant is not for me.

The battle is between Harrier and Seltos as far as I am concerned. I request your valuable inputs here.

Waiting for things (COVID) to settle down actually reduces the sale value of my existing car. It also increased the cost of these options as car manufacturers are steadily increasing prices (due to steel price surge?). So, the cost of ownership of a new car is on the rise day by day. According to me, the combined price increase (due to depreciation of my existing car and price increase of new car) goes above 1.25L in the last 1.5 years.
NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 13:47   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Hello,

I am late to the discussion, but still posting this.
I was in the market for a car for almost 1.5 years now. I wanted to buy a car and not necessarily an SUV in the 18 - 24 lacs bracket (on-road). This is the maximum I can spend in terms of the budget. Now coming to the cars:
Since you're open to sedans, have a look at the Elantra as well. Looks aside, I quite liked the interiors, ride & handling of the car. Also from what I understand there have been minimal changes in the structure compared to the global version so safety shouldn't be as questionable as the Seltos.
The 1.6L Diesel wouldn't have great performance however but would be acceptable.

In petrols there is only the Honda City which seems like a viable option.

Unfortunately the other options don't seem great unless you're able to go the pre-owned route / decide to go the Manual Compass mid-variant way.
Effectively boils down to Seltos peace of mind (expectedly better service v/s Harrier peace on road (safety, ride & handling, performance, looks).
Honda has a very good opportunity for a well priced HRV Hybrid + Diesel, but they just aren't acting on it.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 14:30   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Since you're open to sedans, have a look at the Elantra as well. Looks aside, I quite liked the interiors, ride & handling of the car. Also from what I understand there have been minimal changes in the structure compared to the global version so safety shouldn't be as questionable as the Seltos.
The 1.6L Diesel wouldn't have great performance however but would be acceptable.

In petrols there is only the Honda City which seems like a viable option.

Unfortunately the other options don't seem great unless you're able to go the pre-owned route / decide to go the Manual Compass mid-variant way.
Effectively boils down to Seltos peace of mind (expectedly better service v/s Harrier peace on road (safety, ride & handling, performance, looks).
Honda has a very good opportunity for a well priced HRV Hybrid + Diesel, but they just aren't acting on it.
Thank you for your inputs. I had left out Elantra since it is a bit old now - thanks for reminding me. Let me check the pricing from the Hyundai dealer and do a TD (hope there are discounts on it). Websites states that diesel is out of budget.
I had driven the CVT City, and honestly, did not like it.
NotanF1driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 14:59   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Hello,

I am late to the discussion, but still posting [b]The battle is between Harrier and Seltos
I am an owner of Tata Harrier XZA+. After an initial hiccup there are no niggles so far (Touch wood ). Driven almost 15k kms within 8 months with 2 -3000kms road trips and we enjoy the drive, ride and dynamics

The paint chipping as per the TASS is due to sanitiser. In my car I have no problem so far. I think Kia QC and after sales is far better than Tata and will suggest to go with Seltos. Try to increase the budget for Tucson or Innova

Last edited by greyhound82 : 7th July 2021 at 15:01.
greyhound82 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:03   #141

Harrier/Safari Vs. Hector Vs. Seltos

Mod note: Similar thread exists, please use search and post in relevant thread / subforum. Thanks.

I'm in a huge dilemma as the time has come to replace our 16 year old super reliable Ford Ikon. The new steed would be housing four adults and a child in the future. We do not have any particular preference towards any form factor. Me and Dad are 6'3'' and that immediately eliminated Honda City and Skoda Kushaq moments after sitting in them due to lack of head space.

The options that we are now left with are Harrier/Safari, Hector and Seltos. We have test driven each of these and we are still as confused as earlier.

Harrier/Safari XZA+ Diesel AT (25/26 L on road)
  • Dad immediately fell in love with the Harrier for its looks and space.
  • I enjoyed driving the Safari and like its engine-gear combo.
  • These two cars are the most expensive of the lot and I am very worried on the niggles and ASS that Tata is infamous for. Dad is apprehensive too now after going through these.
  • It really bothers me why Tata have not crash tested these two in spite of doing it for rest of their new line up. Is it because they are unsure of getting 5 stars? One can only wonder. There was a post by a forum member who had info from his sources that the placement of an oil apparatus near the firewall might be the culprit.
Hector Sharp Diesel Manual (22L on road)
  • The family loves this car too due to its apparent sturdiness and comfort.
  • The suspension is brilliant for absorbing impact on bad roads in low speed.
  • The major compromise when it comes to this is the lack of AT in diesel. Petrol CVT is out of question as I would have to buy a fuel station to maintain it. The manual seemed smooth enough though.
  • The other big worry is the sturdiness/safety of the car since there is no crash testing done and also the brand reliability in India in the long term.
  • Unlike the other options, this is a passengers car and not drivers car. Since it is mostly for family use, I guess it is ok.
Seltos GTX+ Diesel AT (21L on road)
  • My personal favorite purely due to it being an allrounder when it comes to the driving, premium feel of the interiors, features, ASS and higher fuel efficiency due to having a lower specced engine compared to the other options.
  • The major downside obviously being the safety overhang. I am trying to convince myself saying this variant might fare better due to having ESC, additional air bags, etc but family is a bit wary.
I would have preferred to wait for the XUV 700 but Dad feels it might not be worth the risk to get the first gen car.

Kindly help me get out of this dilemma by giving your perspective/input/suggestion so that I can finally get a peaceful sleep.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th July 2021 at 13:30. Reason: Similar thread exists, please use search and post in relevent thread / subforum. Thanks.
Old 8th July 2021, 13:57   #142
BHPian

Re: Harrier/Safari Vs. Hector Vs. Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardshock View Post
[b]
Kindly help me get out of this dilemma by giving your perspective/input/suggestion so that I can finally get a peaceful sleep.
Hello hardshock,

I am in the same dilemma as you are . I am only looking for AT variants and you can see my post in this thread in similar lines (please go through my thoughts there - it is a very recent post). It is Harrier vs. Seltos for me.

I still have not made my mind up. However, I am leaning towards Seltos GT line diesel AT. The reason is that I need a fuss free experience. I am not okay and can't be okay with niggles and small issues. You may go through other threads on Harrier niggles and some of them are really bothersome. They actually worry me quite a lot. I think Seltos would be the better buy for peace of mind. I still have not booked the car, but the representative said that there is a wait period of average 5 months! If I book it now, by the time I get the delivery, XUV 700 would be also released. Even I don't intend to buy a V1 product from Mahindra but would give me an opportunity to evaluate.
NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:34   #143
BHPian

Voted for Seltos although I loved to vote for the Harrier due to its looks, but, its reliability issues and incompetent service centers are the reasons, which is making me stay away from Tata!

The Seltos is an absolute all-rounder, which has everything like features like 360-degree camera (which is very important in city traffic), a decently tuned Diesel engine and I simply love its Diesel+6AT combo, looks, premium interiors, and decent rear space! The only drawback is its suspension, which isn't plush as its sibling, the Creta, and Harrier!

Despite scoring 3 stars in GNCAP, which is not a deal-breaker for me as I find the Seltos decently built but not in the leagues of VW/Skoda, still, I feel Seltos has the best package among this segment!

For 80% city+20%highway driving along with better A.S.S and reliability, Seltos/Creta will be the best bet while Harrier will be good for the people, who don't care much about the reliability and does highway driving most of the time!
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 10:33   #144
BHPian

I'm kind of there in a similar fix. Here's the situation.
  • Looking for a purchase in the next 6 months - 12 months timeframe.
  • Would probably be my last BIG ICE purchase and so I'm looking to buy a keeper vehicle that is going to be around for a long time.
  • Has to be a diesel automatic - Diesel because its going to be for the highways ; Automatic to make my better half feel motivated to drive the car.
  • Budget is strictly around ~18 Lakhs Ex-Showroom. ( I would be picking up the car via a Company lease policy and there is a cut off that I cannot cross )

The models in consideration are
  • Harrier XMA ( I could stretch only till XMA due to budget ; do understand it lacks basic features like reverse camera ) ;
  • The KIA Seltos Diesel Automatic ( I would be happy with something from Tech Line - I feel GT Line is a bit overpriced).

Heart says go for the Harrier ; Literally the big car out there , turns my head for sure everytime I see one on the road. What are the Cons? - What if I get a lemon? How can I use something for a highway tourer if it breaks down every now and then? May be I should stay optimistic; listen to the heart and go ahead with one.

Mind Says Seltos - Reliable , feature filled over Harrier XMA. I might as well be happy with the purchase and undoubtedly have a fuss free ownership, but I will continue to have a feeling of VOID whenever I see a Harrier on the road.

This is going to be a tough one to decide. Anyone here could help ease my decision making process? Would be greatful with any inputs!

Last edited by r24x7 : 25th April 2022 at 10:35. Reason: Typos
Old 13th September 2022, 23:42   #145
BHPian

Well, I recently bought Kia Seltos GTX Plus DCT. Here are my thoughts on buying Seltos over Harrier

1. Premium cabin experience, fit and finish is considerably better than harrier
2. Turbo petrol option - Definitely enjoy initial pickup, low speed driving in hilly areas and not miss out on meaty mid-range turbo engines offer. Diesels are not comfortable in low speeds and hilly terrains.
3. NVH is better in Seltos
4. Latest Technology - turbo gdi engine with DCT transmission almost equal to Germans, Bose sound system with amplifier and subwoofer, 360 camera with Hawkeye and blind spot monitor, fast and responsive touch screen with pleasing user interface, cool and futuristic heads-up display
5. Convenient size - not too bulky, yet SUV like presence
6. Delightful after sales service - comparable to premium brands
7. Not painful to maintain - reasonable spare parts cost and service costs

Most Viewed