Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Harrier 315 56.55%
Hyundai Creta 45 8.08%
Kia Seltos 107 19.21%
MG Hector 5 0.90%
Mahindra XUV500 10 1.80%
Jeep Compass 67 12.03%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.44%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 18:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Well the only SUV here in the true sense is the Jeep Compass rest are all crossovers. If budget is not the constraint it is the Jeep Compass for me. This is the car which i can take to any part of this country confidently. Yes it is overpriced but then other allrounder SUVs like fortuner and endeavor are way more expensive. For me its either an all wheel drive SUV or a sedan. These crossovers neither give you the dynamics of a sedan nor the capability of a true SUV.
Old 20th August 2020, 19:26   #32
BHPian

One more vote to Harrier for the sheer styling.

Imagine a car pops up on your rear view mirror. If I ask which one from the list will not just grab attention but also demands gluing on to rear view mirror, undoubtedly to me it's the Harrier.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:35   #33
BHPian

Voted for the harrier based on current positive feedback on the 2020 facelift. Will be giving it a try in the post covid era.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:57   #34
BHPian

My vote goes to Tata Harrier. It has the same 2L engine as the Jeep Compass and looks better than it (IMHO), great road presence, class leading ICE and is based on the land rover derived Omega Arc architecture. For me it is the poor man's Land Rover and I look forward to owning it in the future.
Old 20th August 2020, 20:07   #35
BHPian

What I would choose is clearly the Harrier and also voted for the same.

However this cannot be my next car, simply because I need a 7 seater which only the XUV is. If I had to vote for what I would buy only the XUV fits that criteria.

Would have been an easy choice if the Gravitas had been launched and the third row can seat at least one kid + luggage comfortably.
Old 20th August 2020, 21:08   #36
BHPian

For me it is the Harrier all the way.

My second favourite is the Hector and I am shocked that it has zero votes as I'm typing this!.
Old 20th August 2020, 21:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Tata can learn one thing from Mahindra that 'imitation is the best form of flattery'. What Mahindra did with Thar, Tata could have easily done with Harrier taking some frontal design cues from Land Rover without getting into any legal issues.
Why would you say that? Harrier arguably has the best original design Indians have seen in the last couple of years.

I feel when people say Tata has poor after sales service, it is mostly hearsay at this point. I have owned Nexon since last year and have a great experience with service. Again, it can be called a one-off case but I am part of a large Nexon owner's group and most people there are satisfied. They just have a service center of choice.

Road presence, space and most stuff -- Harrier
Features -- Seltos

I like Compass too much to ignore it. It just got expensive with time. IIRC it was launched at a good price-point.
zaphodb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 22:40   #38
BHPian

Going against the trend, I will pick a Crysta over all of these. It's reliability, space & ladder frame chassis make it a perfect highway car. It's a mini Fortuner in every way. My second choice will be Compass. It's size is perfect for city usage and it's great to drive as well.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2020 at 07:11. Reason: typo
Old 21st August 2020, 00:03   #39
BHPian

Voted for the Seltos.

1. Hyundai / Kia Diesel engine & TC mating is simply fantastic! Plus I love the Seltos’s design. Having owned the 1st gen Creta, this size is just perfect for the C-SUV’s. Very practical, be it highway or the city use.

2. Harrier for me, is more like a highway cruiser. Take the car, hit the expressway & cruise! And that would be my second choice.

3. Having already owned the Creta, not really leaning towards it. I know that it’s a whole new car; but Seltos & Creta are nearly the same.

4. Jeep Compass is pretty darn expensive! The top-spec diesel closes at around 30+ !!

5. I love the XUV500, or I used to rather. But it’s getting damn old now & is already on its way out. Seems lagging behind with respect to this competition.

6. I don’t like the MG Hector.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 21st August 2020 at 00:04.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 00:31   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am unable to vote as the 2 choices are too difficult. The Seltos and the Harrier.

The Seltos feels like the refined suave option and the Harrier is the rough and tough butch SUV.

Both have nice engines, gearboxes and good styling.

I will have to think over this for a while before voting.
It was a tough choice but in the end I voted for the Seltos. The Harrier was good but at 25L for a Tata living with the fear of long term reliability is just not my risk appetite.

On top of that when I had driven the Harrier one gripe I had was that it felt wide and huge in town. Not chuckable and nimble. You are always wary of the size.

I would get a Seltos for that finesse and car like driving experience plus long term reassurance to a much bigger extent.

I know the Creta has the extra features like panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters and electronic parking brake but all 3 I can live without vs having those features bu having to look at the front and rear design of that Creta. It is something I cannot come to like and won't mind losing features over the Kia's conventional and clean design.

Also, the Creta without reach adjust steering is a bigger miss than paddle shifts and electronic parking brake IMO.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st August 2020 at 07:58. Reason: wary, not weary!
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 00:35   #41
Team-BHP Support

It was an easy pick for me. I am all sold on for the top end Creta CVT Petrol. Yes, the rear end is problem but the +ves far outweigh the negatives.

Tata is a no-no for me personally given the niggles and how badly their cars age. Seltos remains a good buy, but loses out to the Creta IMO.
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 03:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Voted other. I'd rather buy an Innova Crysta 2.7 GX AT. But if I had to choose, it'd be a Seltos diesel AT or the petrol IVT. I don't trust DCTs and don't like Hyundai's design.

Must be mentioned that Hector and Harrier (~4.6m long) should be a different segment* compared to the Seltos(~4.3 m long), Creta(~4.3 m long), and Compass(~4.4 m long).Shows the crazy pricing overlap of these SUVs in the Indian market.

*The Ecosport, Venue, Nexon, Brezza, XUV 300 all belong to a different segment considering they are only 0.3 m shorter than the Creta/Seltos.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st August 2020 at 03:10.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 06:46   #43
BHPian

The new Harrier for me because of the additional power, smooth and reliable AT, slightly better off-road manners with the multi terrain modes, the amazing stereo, the panoramic sunroof and of course the looks and the sheer road presence which no other car in the list can match up to.
My second choice would be the Seltos. Hate the looks of the new Creta. The Compass is stiffly overpriced while the Hector is completely ruled out; just did not connect with the car when I test drove it.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Kia with AT. Diesel power with AT is great to drive for city and highway. For a 5 seater, it has adequate space.

The Harrier doesnt appeal design wise to me. The red one earlier in the page here doesnt look like a new design. The rounded panels somehow lack the sophistication and well formed perception. The rear is confused. Same with the interior, looks like it came off from service centre with oil smeared over the plastics. Tata wasted a great opportunity by not giving the full options the first time.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:46   #45
BHPian

Voted for Seltos AT D. Given a 25 L budget, I would definitely play it safe.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed