Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Harrier 315 56.55%
Hyundai Creta 45 8.08%
Kia Seltos 107 19.21%
MG Hector 5 0.90%
Mahindra XUV500 10 1.80%
Jeep Compass 67 12.03%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.44%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 13:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Voted the Harrier,

1) A full size SUV for 5 . 170 PS and 350 NM is a hell lot more than what the Korean Twins have on offer. They are much smaller as well. After having driven the Storme for over 5 years, my family has got used to the extra space.

2) The Harrier has the best suspension.

3) Nothing comes close to the Harrier in terms of styling and looks.

4) Its an Indian car, made for Indians by Indians.

5) Widespread dealer network. I have had a very good service experience with my TASS.

I would never like to buy a Chinese car. Luckily unlike in case of mobile phones, we have a good amount of choice.
rajneeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 01:47   #122
BHPian

Voted for Harrier. If I were in the market today to buy a car with that budget, my first choice would be Harrier. This would be followed by Compass & XUV. Only the XUV facelift will decide which is second and which is 3rd. No to Hector, while I do not have a personal experience, a friend of mine is using and is not praising it at all. Then adding to it the Chinese factor.

The only reason why Compass is not considered ahead of Harrier or XUV is due to the bleak future FCA has in India. It is not confidence inspiring, else, that is the best one among the herd.
Old 26th November 2020, 18:32   #123
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier earlier this year. Had booked the XZ+ Manual just before the pandemic hit.
Had to cancel the booking.
Then test drove the Automatic version. Loved it to bits! The feeling was just like my Hexa XTA which I adored but had to sell this March.
Now decided to get the Harrier XZA+
Waiting till the first week of next month, hoping for some December discounts (It was One lakh last December, doesn't look like that, this time)
Here's hoping!
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 22:14   #124
BHPian

Need advice on buying a new SUV/CSUV

Dear members,

I am in a big dilemma regarding the purchase of a new car. Presently I am driving a Scorpio 2016 S4+ 4wd model and a 2016 Polo GT TSI.

I want to get a new car by exchanging the Scorpio. It has done 60000km till date. My budget is max 20 lacs INR. I am flexible about petrol or diesel option. My preference will be an automatic but a manual will also do. My monthly running will be around 500-600 km. One of the major requirement of mine is that the bonnet should be visible from the driver's seat. Also, niggle free experience and relatively cheap maintenance cost is another requirement. While researching about the cars available in the market, I got into a big dilemma due to sheer number of choices available. I am mentioning a list of the cars I considered and what I think about them.

1. Mahindra Thar Diesel LX Hardtop MT/AT : This is what the heart says to go for. But what bothers me the most is the reliability of the fibre hard top and other frequently reported niggles. Also, my son being only 18 months old, there is an apprehension about practicality.

2. Mahindra Bolero B6(O): I know bolero is a very basic and crude car. I can live without the bells and whistles of any other modern car. But, I am not sure about the comfort it will provide over long distance. I test drove this car and found the 210 Nm torque to be adequate, but not sure how it will perform when I will take it to the hills. Also, I want to know about the capabilities of the bolero in comparison to the Thar in 4X2 mode. But, I like the 'Dabang'ness of Bolero and the road presence it enjoys.

3. Hyundai Creta SX 1.4 TGDI turbo petrol: This thing impressed me out rightly as soon as I saw it. The interiors are damn nice and with all the gizmos it is hard to resist it. I am confused whether to invest 20 lacs on this Pseudo-SUV or not. Also, I am not sure how will be the transformation from a Scorpio to a Creta because while driving the Scorpio I really feel like the king of the road with its sheer road presence.

4. Mahindra XUV 3OO: Punchy diesel engine. Safety ratings are great and interiors also are a much needed change from bare bone Mahindra we are used to. The w8(o) comes with all the bells and whistles. What bothers me is again the transition from a Scorpio to XUV 3OO. Also, the reviews about AMT is not so great. I could not take a test drive of the AMT version because it was not available in my area.

5. Tata Harrier Manual: I drove the manual version of the car of my friend. I did not feel comfortable with the clutch operation at all. I was frequently stalling the car. I don't know whether this discomfort will go away with time or not. The automatic options are out of my budget.

6. Maruti Suzuki XL6: I was impressed with the captain seats and the comfort they offer. But the sore point is the 1.5 litre petrol engine which I think is not powerful enough.

I am not considering KIA or MG products as dealership/service centre of these brands are not available in the vicinity of where I live.

Future cars I am ready to wait for: New Scorpio and Hexa BS6 (if launched)

Kindly guide me in the buying process by providing your valuable inputs.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 22:22   #125
BHPian

Re: Need advice on buying a new SUV/CSUV

Interesting options.

Coming from Scorpio, something hardcore is what seems to appeal to your heart. If you can wait, considering the updated Scorpio or XUV500 may make for an ideal upgrade, considering you are already happy with the M&M stable.

Only problem is M&M keeps pushing the launch, and earlier production models from Tata and M&M are prone to niggles.
hridaygandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 23:40   #126
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
1. Mahindra Thar Diesel LX Hardtop MT/AT

2. Mahindra Bolero B6(O): I know bolero is a very basic and crude car.

The bolero and the Thar are both downgrades from a 2016 scorpio 4x4, that too one which has run only 60 thousand KM. (okay, maybe the Thar's not a downgrade, as it is a niche vehicle, but practicality wise, its a massive downgrade.)

60 thousand KM for a Scorpio is barely breaking the engine in. Why're you selling it?
S15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 23:45   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
The bolero and the Thar are both downgrades from a 2016 scorpio 4x4, that too one which has run only 60 thousand KM. (okay, maybe the Thar's not a downgrade, as it is a niche vehicle, but practicality wise, its a massive downgrade.)

60 thousand KM for a Scorpio is barely breaking the engine in. Why're you selling it?
Yes you are right. It is barely the engine break-in for a Scorpio. It's just an urge to get a new car. I will consider your suggestion seriously. Maybe I should wait for few more days and buy something above one or two segments of Scorpio.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 00:55   #128
BHPian

If I were you, I'd stick with the Scorpio for the time being, considering there aren't many 4x4 options available within the budget you've quoted at the moment, apart from Thar. And as already pointed out, it is a massive downgrade from Scorpio in terms of practicality, and add to that the long waiting period.

However, if you want to sell your car and get a new one, I have 2 options apart from the ones you've quoted:

1. Renault Duster 1.3 Turbo Petrol CVT: You can read the review of this, in this forum by GTO. You stated you're okay without the bells and whistles, so this should suffice. Plus you might get lucky with 2020 stock in CVT (INR 1 lakh discount straight up) and you'll have enough spare change from your budget of INR 20 Lakhs. However, this is not a 4x4 and if you're into hardcore off-roading, this won't make the cut.

Which brings me to

2. Jeep Compass: If you can extend your budget to 25 Lakhs, you can go for this. You'll get the 4x4 variant and it'll literally be an upgrade from your Scorpio.

Choice is yours!

Safe travels.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 11:43   #129

Alright. I’m a bit late to the party here. Not really here to vote, rather to get some suggestions.

I’m in the market primarily looking for an automatic crossover. Sedan is off the charts since I’ve tried city & verna and somehow I manage to brush my head against the roof(rear seat). May be because I’m rather tall at 6’1.

My commute would primarily be 5 days within ncr(office), and weekend drive to my hometown(100km from Delhi). I’m expecting a monthly run of around 1500-2000kms. Automatic is something I really wish for, given the traffic conditions here.

Given my budget of 25 lacs, I’m caught in a dilemma. Problem is, being an engineer I’m really picky about small details. Besides, I’m a sucker for good looks. Moreover, at least for me 25 lacs isn’t a small amount and I’m expecting perfection

Overall, my requirement would be:
1. Driving dynamics(I would be driving most of time)
2. Fit and finish, long term reliability
3. Decent performance, with a scope for boost whenever required (highway and hilly terrains)
4. Looks/road presence
5. Space isn’t a concern as of now, but possibly in the future it could be important

I’ve shortlisted Seltos, Harrier, Compass and Kushaq to be the prime contenders. Infact, I’ve already booked Seltos 2 months back, taking into consideration the long waiting period. Couldn’t test drive other cars due to Covid situation. Today, I test drove the Harrier and came back all confused(more on that later). Jeep and Kushaq test drives are lined up next.

Anyway, I just wanted to know which car would make more sense as per my needs.
Old 30th June 2021, 17:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I could never live with a car that looks like the new Creta (styling is important to me), the current-gen XUV500 is due for replacement, while the Compass Diesel AT is overpriced & outclassed by the others here. FCA's dual-clutch is imperfect. The Hector Petrol AT is quite a poor combination - with the MG, the Diesel MT is the pick, but we are focusing on the ATs here.
Would you still say the Creta looks obnoxious? I would said the same thing when the pictures were released (quite clearly remember, was at a Jeep showroom checking out the Compass). I just saw "whaat..eww".

But now.. it has grown on me. Somehow it looks good on the road and I can wrap my head around it. I look at the pictures again and it still looks bleh. In person, looks good. How, I have no idea.

What are your thoughts on the Creta now?
Old 30th June 2021, 19:34   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

What are your thoughts on the Creta now?
That’s a sentiment most people carry. May be cars are photogenic too . It must be the angles though. The perceived body lines in pictures may not look as good as the real deal.
Old 5th July 2021, 14:34   #132
BHPian

I really wanted to like the Harrier and Safari. Heck, I actually love them, sadly, I don't love the gearbox, which refuses to shift down, the lack of thigh support in the front seats and total lack of feedback from the steering wheel.

I am now in a position where I need to change one of my cars, but, I am in a major dilemma. The Thar is what I would like to buy, but the family needs something comfortable for easy ingress and egress. The Kushaq is a very well balanced car and would be perfect, but, lack of airbags on the automatics and a dated cabin have me concerned. All my current cars are dated and I don't want to get something that feels previous generation.

I need to take a look at the Seltos and Creta, but, I am not holding out hope, In general I prefer European cars to Korean or most Japanese vehicles.

Strange space to be shopping in if you are an Indian Enthusiast.
Old 5th July 2021, 16:07   #133
BHPian

I'd recommend the Safari over the others -> I moved from a Jetta TDi and Octavia vRS before that - drive the Safari in sports mode to access that full 170 BHP + 350 Nm which is more than sufficient, drive for a while and you will get used to the steering feedback. The family would love that massive panoramic sunroof. The bonus over the Harrier for a little premium being the 4/5+2 usable seats, rear discs and electric parking brake. I bought the 7 seater XZA+ Adventure persona as I hated the pure white interiors, wanted a lighter exterior shade that wasn't white, loved that practical bench seating of the 7 seater which is a proper 5+2 seater over the 4+2 pax captain seater with those puny arm rests and that pathetic 3rd row access while it tumbles down one touch on my 7 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I really wanted to like the Harrier and Safari. Heck, I actually love them, sadly, I don't love the gearbox, which refuses to shift down, the lack of thigh support in the front seats and total lack of feedback from the steering wheel.

I am now in a position where I need to change one of my cars, but, I am in a major dilemma. The Thar is what I would like to buy, but the family needs something comfortable for easy ingress and egress. The Kushaq is a very well balanced car and would be perfect, but, lack of airbags on the automatics and a dated cabin have me concerned. All my current cars are dated and I don't want to get something that feels previous generation.

I need to take a look at the Seltos and Creta, but, I am not holding out hope, In general I prefer European cars to Korean or most Japanese vehicles.

Strange space to be shopping in if you are an Indian Enthusiast.
Old 5th July 2021, 16:26   #134
AZT
BHPian

I think it's time we added the Kushaq to this list. Like it or not it is competing on price with these and is our newest contender.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:16   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I'd recommend the Safari over the others -> I moved from a Jetta TDi and Octavia vRS before that - drive the Safari in sports mode to access that full 170 BHP + 350 Nm which is more than sufficient, drive for a while and you will get used to the steering feedback. The family would love that massive panoramic sunroof. The bonus over the Harrier for a little premium being the 4/5+2 usable seats, rear discs and electric parking brake. I bought the 7 seater XZA+ Adventure persona as I hated the pure white interiors, wanted a lighter exterior shade that wasn't white, loved that practical bench seating of the 7 seater which is a proper 5+2 seater over the 4+2 pax captain seater with those puny arm rests and that pathetic 3rd row access while it tumbles down one touch on my 7 seater.
I have similar cars to yours. A Jetta TDI and a Laura 1.8TSI, along with a few others. Problem is nothing comes close to any of our cars right now, unless we jump to the 40+ Lakh price bracket, which I am not interested in doing.

I agree the Safari with Bench seats for the second row is the most comfortable. The pilot seats aren't wide enough or supportive enough to make sense and those silly armrests are just ridiculous. This is one of the few cars where I feel the Bench is better than the Pilot. Sadly, the steering and gearbox are dealbreakers for us. I did drive it extensively and I can sense fatigue setting in over long drives due to the repeated steering inputs.

I need get out and look at all the cars again.

Most Viewed