Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2020, 10:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: One Do-It-All SUV to replace Honda City & VW Polo

The two cars you have are arguably the nicest cars in the market in their respective segments. I agree with your assessment of what is missing in these cars but you will probably end up with a lesser "overall score" with your new car, not to mention the money lost in the process.

Polo TSI is a legend, keep it

For the Honda City, just explore options to improve the suspension and tires. And more importantly, don't drive it at high speeds on highways - it is not it's DNA.

If you do decide to go a for a new car and to realistically meet most of your requirements, you will have to to buy one from Tucson segment or above. When it comes to highway long drives, higher segment cars would be in a different league. Tucson with pano roof would be a lovely car though - I am surprised why I don't see many on the streets.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:58   #17
BHPian

Damn! The city is just about 2 years old. If you sell it now, you will be losing a lot of money. Better to save for 3-4 years more and get a full-bred SUV like a Fortuner or an Endeavour as the City has already depreciated quite a lot.

But then it is your money and if you seriously wish to sell both the cars and get a new SUV, it's your wish!
Now let's get to the cars,
Seltos is a good option but the top variants don't make too much sense given you have better and bigger cars at little more unless parking space is an issue. Also, one thing that people very conveniently overlook when considering the Seltos is the firm suspension and the poor ride as they are too blinded by all those fancy DRLs and the overload of features. So until and unless you are only going to be driving on super smooth tarmacs, do make sure you are satisfied with the ride quality, since, it is something that doesn't attract our attention when it is good, but becomes so extremely annoying when it is bad that no amount of features/looks will rekindle your interest in the car.

Coming to the Harrier, none of the cons you mentioned seem to be a deal-breaker. Power seat buttons won't be missing in your new car, the chocolate colour upholstery will grow on you or you can get the Dark Edition with all black interiors. It is a phenomenal car and you will love it. Do remember, after some months of owning a car, all we want is something that rides well and works as intended. Sure, when the car is new we all want tight fitting even panel gaps etc. but after a few months down the line, does it even matter?
Regarding the size, see the Harrier is only a few mm longer than the City (I have both the City and the Harrier, and in the garage which as tailor made for the City, the Harrier just manages to get inside). It is the height and the bulk which creates a placebo effect and also the added width.
The Tucson is from a segment above and definitely the superior SUV here but that monster of an engine that you experienced it the diesel which will be over your budget. The petrol will be a guzzler and not as exciting.

Now the Compass. I just love the compass. I think the top-end Limited Plus 4x2 will be just a shade above your budget, try to bargain for some discounts. When I was in the market in Feb, I wanted to get the Compass top-end but couldn't as my budget wasn't that much. Not saying that I don't love the Harrier, but the compass was love-at-first drive :P
Also, do get a car with a panoramic sunroof when you spending 25 big ones. You might not feel it now, but nothing, absolutely nothing, enhances the interiors of a car like a panoramic sunroof does. You parents will love the back seat with the panoramic sunroof, especially at night. Do get one!
Candy$Cars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 14:00   #18
BHPian

Given your requirements and the negatives you've mentioned about the Harrier, I would suggest you to seriously consider Harrier XZA + Black Edition. The black edition certainly looks way more imposing, has no chrome, comes with black interior (which I too prefer over chocolate brown). It also comes with a grey finish on the dashboard instead of faux wood. It fits well in your budget too and with the new TATA warranty plans the car would be a hassle-free ownership for atleast 5 years.

If you're averse to the TATA brand, you can go for Jeep Compass and if you're open to pre-owned, I suggest you should try to find a Ford Endeavour.
Old 1st September 2020, 15:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your inputs and wise counsel. Like I said, buying the City was probably not a well-anticipated call. It has its obvious merits in terms of space, refinement , but we seem to have some genuine ingress-egress issues especially in the rear, to add to the ride discomfort on long trips. Before my parents get too old to enjoy road trips, I would do something about it. In my many years of owning cars, there has never been a situation where my parents were as/more keen on doing something about buying the car than I have.So to balance out all interests, this quest is being contemplated. I will keep you all updated on the next steps.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 18:12   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
but we seem to have some genuine ingress-egress issues especially in the rear, to add to the ride discomfort on long trips. Before my parents get too old to enjoy road trips, I would do something about it.
Just a suggestion = you could rent a Crossover / MPV / SUV from Myles, Revv etc for the road-trips. A couple of companies still offer good quality rentals.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 06:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

As an update- I test drove the Seltos Diesel Auto- they had an HT(?) Plus variant. The first and most lasting impression I got was that the suspension of this car was definitely better than the DCT Seltos I drove a couple of weeks earlier. Maybe that car was new/this car had 20000km, but there was a distinct difference. The Salesperson attributed it to the additional weight of the diesel car, but it couldnt have been just that. Is it the case that the suspension settles over time, and becomes less sharp? I dont know. The tyre pressures were 34/35 all round, so not much softness there too.
Other than that, the drive confirmed the official review experience of smoothness of transmission, and the linearity of the power/torque, added to the high (for a diesel) refinement. There were the odd rattles or two, couldnt make out whether it was the windows rattling (as I had them partially down), or the sun-blinds attached to them.

Again, quite a positive experience, and pleasantly surprised by the suspension.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
As an update- I test drove the Seltos Diesel Auto- they had an HT(?) Plus variant. The first and most lasting impression I got was that the suspension of this car was definitely better than the DCT Seltos I drove a couple of weeks earlier. Maybe that car was new/this car had 20000km, but there was a distinct difference. The Salesperson attributed it to the additional weight of the diesel car, but it couldnt have been just that. Is it the case that the suspension settles over time, and becomes less sharp? I dont know. The tyre pressures were 34/35 all round, so not much softness there too.
Other than that, the drive confirmed the official review experience of smoothness of transmission, and the linearity of the power/torque.

Again, quite a positive experience, and pleasantly surprised by the suspension.
I'd go for the GTX AT (Diesel) eyes shut. The TC is extremely reliable and the engine is frugal. I found it to be a better option over the DCT unit.
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since my budget was inching past the 25L mark, I had a thought- why not look at the decidedly better option in the Hyundai/Kia stable, i.e. the Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
For the Honda City, just explore options to improve the suspension and tires. And more importantly, don't drive it at high speeds on highways - it is not it's DNA.

If you do decide to go a for a new car and to realistically meet most of your requirements, you will have to to buy one from Tucson segment or above. When it comes to highway long drives, higher segment cars would be in a different league. Tucson with pano roof would be a lovely car though - I am surprised why I don't see many on the streets.
If I were in your shoes and if I were replacing a 2 year old Honda City for the reasons you have mentioned, I would not even look at the C2 segment [Honda City and Seltos are in the same segment], I will jump to the D1 segment.

Appears you are sold on the Tucson...I have experienced one [as my best buddy got the AWD variant] and it is a bang for buck SUV. You can not go wrong with it.

Another strong contender would be the Skoda Karoq. I will not even look at others if I am replacing one of the best C2 sedans.

If you have to change, choose wisely so not to undergo a depreciation hit again, wait if you have to, but take extensive test-drives of contenders, possibly with parents and then conclude.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
You may check the Volkswagen T-Roc since you liked Polo and will be within your budget.

Otherwise I will also ask you to check MG ZS EV if you want to give electrics a try. If you did not like the Creta then wait for the next Seltos to arrive to complete your comparison.

Also if you have not ruled out Mahindra then upcoming XUV 500 may be worth the wait.
T-Roc is a very good alternative but it is small in size and rear seat comfort in terms of legroom isn't that great. May not be ideal for long trips in which elders like to stretch out a bit from time to time.

Quote:
Thanks all for your inputs and wise counsel. Like I said, buying the City was probably not a well-anticipated call. It has its obvious merits in terms of space, refinement , but we seem to have some genuine ingress-egress issues especially in the rear, to add to the ride discomfort on long trips. Before my parents get too old to enjoy road trips, I would do something about it. In my many years of owning cars, there has never been a situation where my parents were as/more keen on doing something about buying the car than I have.So to balance out all interests, this quest is being contemplated. I will keep you all updated on the next steps.
As you have mentioned that road trips are also a priority, I would like to suggest one of the best mile munchers out there - the Innova Crysta. This is a tested and proven car and is the go to MPV of India for a reason. Ride comfort is excellent, reliability is not going to be an issue and the service network is pretty wide as well. If you go for the top of the line 2.4 Z trim (manual and diesel), you'll get all the safety features you require and still it'll fit your budget just fine. In the Z trim, the Innova gets captain seats which are now wider and provide good comfort levels and space is not a problem so can stretch out easily as well. Since your family is about 4-5 people, one of the rear seats can be folded down and then boot space will also be adequate. As far as the enthusiastic driving goes, it will not satisfy your driving needs to a great extent but it is still enjoyable as in power mode it pulls quite strongly.

You can also go for the 2.7 Z which is the petrol variant and that will cost you just under 25L. I have had Innovas for a long time now and I can tell you, it'll soon become your and your family's favorite vehicle.

I have attached the OTR prices for the trims mentioned. Don't trust this fully but still gives you an idea about the price.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
One Do-It-All SUV to replace Honda City & VW Polo-screenshot_20200902095940_samsung-internet.jpg  

One Do-It-All SUV to replace Honda City & VW Polo-screenshot_20200902095308_samsung-internet.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd September 2020 at 10:38. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:

My budget is about 25-27L
Why not try used new generation Ford Endeavour? There are pretty well maintained cars out there for your budget. It is a true Do-It-All SUV. Your parents will be extremely comfortable in long journeys.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...r-2nd-gen.html (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen))
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first and most lasting impression I got was that the suspension of this car was definitely better than the DCT Seltos I drove a couple of weeks earlier. Maybe that car was new/this car had 20000km, but there was a distinct difference. The Salesperson attributed it to the additional weight of the diesel car, but it couldnt have been just that. Is it the case that the suspension settles over time, and becomes less sharp?
This is in fact the case. I've mentioned this in almost all threads whenever there's a mention about stiff suspension of Seltos. From my personal experience, I can tell you that it's not as hard as it's made out to be, my AT D seltos is at 16k on the clock. The ride comfort during the first 3k-4k kms of a new Seltos is distinctly different where you feel the stiffness a lot. It's a totally different suspension, especially at low speeds, once the car has clocked the aforesaid kms under it's belt. It's suspension settles in for the good but at the same time the high speed manners stays intact. The difference in the odo of both test cars is the primary reason why you felt the car with 20K fared better on ride comfort. The diesel AT variant is only heavier by 40 kg as against DCT.

Besides, more than any other car, I feel Seltos' suspension is very sensitive to higher tyre pressure. 32-33 psi(cold condition) is the sweet spot, considering a 2-3 psi jump is expected once the tyres heat up on the run.

Seltos is not Harrier or Compass when it comes to tackling bad roads. One has to smartly maneuver it as it's more car-like than an SUV/crossover. In case you end up buying it, go for the AT Diesel. The shifts are brilliant, so is the power distribution minus the thrill of a DCT. It's almost close though. DCT in city traffic would struggle to give you a 2 fight FE besides the city drivability isn't great either.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd September 2020 at 11:59. Reason: as requested
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:36   #27
BHPian

Absolutely agree with hserus and GTO! Instead of selling both and going for a new one, keep one of your current rides, sell the other and invest the money to get a swanky new SUV in future. I had been in the same boat in pre-covid times and took the plunge to get another car with some plans in mind but it didn't turn out the way I intended it to be. Investing in a depreciating asset during such times is not really advisable, especially when there is no real need for it. It's always better to spruce up your current ride to your taste and enjoy it for the next few years before swapping it for a new one. Needless to say both your rides have huge mod potential and with some tasteful additions like new stickier rubber, aftermarket alloys, ICE upgrade, a nice detailing session/sexy new wrap job or maybe a Pete's tuneup, the list is quite endless and your current spruced up ride will make any new car run for their money.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Since my budget was inching past the 25L mark, I had a thought- why not look at the decidedly better option in the Hyundai/Kia stable, i.e. the Tucson ? So I enquired with a couple of dealers. My observation is that most of these dealer salespersons did not have a good idea of their own product features and specifications. Whats worse, they didn’t have the Tucson on display. I asked one dealer how he expected people to buy it-the salesperson said, that only those who know the product especially people who have stayed abroad and used it, straight away purchase the car without test driving it. I wasn’t convinced at all by the reply. One dealer said that it could be available in 20 days or so.
After persisting , I finally got the opportunity to test drive the highest variant, the GLS AWD, that too on a rainy day. Here are my impressions of the Tucson (GLS AWD):
Excellent! This was the part I was looking for :-) I had been visiting Hyundai dealers in Pune for getting test drive for Tuscon, but the vehicle was not available. And they had no clue when its going to be available. Where did you get test drive of it? Garve Hyundai on highway?

In all the options which you have mentioned, Tuscon is still a unique one with much better performance as well as premium feel quotient. If you ask me, I would definitely go for it (by stretching budget a little bit)

Last edited by prajakt_23 : 2nd September 2020 at 12:56.
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:04   #29
BHPian

Do check out the Skoda Karoq. It seems to check all the requirement boxes that you have listed, and some. The Karoq is a good package overall.
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Where did you get test drive of it? Garve Hyundai on highway?

In all the options which you have mentioned, Tuscon is still a unique one with much better performance as well as premium feel quotient. If you ask me, I would definitely go for it (by stretching budget a little bit)
Hi, I got to TD the car at Kothari Hyundai, Aundh.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed