Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 08:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: One Do-It-All SUV to replace Honda City & VW Polo

I have a question, especially for those who own/have reviewed the Tucson 2.0 Petrol. Here is a video from Russia (about 8 months ago) showcasing the Tucson 2.0 (petrol it appears), its a 150 bhp 6 speed AT unit. Seems to be similar to the 2020 India Tucson in terms of cabin features as well.

Would you say that the Indian petrol Tucson would have similar driving characteristics ?

This input will help.
Old 7th September 2020, 15:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Well, the CRV is quite pricey. If I could go for CRV, I might as well look at the more capable Tucson AWD. I am keen on understanding the Tucson 2.0 petrol version though. I am not big on outright acceleration ,0-100 timings, as long as it is able to overtake slow moving traffic while loaded with 4 pax and luggage or able to climb the ghats without huffing and puffing, I am ok. It needs to be a decent highway cruiser in the 80-120 kph regime without causing bumps and jolts over undulations or bad surfaces. In that sense, my Polo is good because of its short wheel base, it rides over undulations like a roller coaster ! I dont have a big issue, but my wife hates it.
There is a pre worshipped Tucson on sale in Model Colony and it looks like its worth a look . If you're considering the pre worshipped route you should look at that . Its a petrol Auto and at 17 is a good bargain .
Old 7th September 2020, 20:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I got to TD the car at Kothari Hyundai, Aundh.
Got and opportunity to see it in person on weekend in Garve Hyundai. But to be honest, its dashboard looks dated compared to new creta, especially steering wheel and plain black seats. They dont have vehicle for test drive. But I am sure that the diesel automatic will be far superior than the petrol one.
Old 12th September 2020, 21:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I am getting into the market for a Do-It-All solution for my transportation and automotive enthusiast needs. I never thought that this point would be reached in the middle of the Covid outbreak, but given that there are lean times all around, (as of current), I might as well try to get a deal before prices go north.
Hi

If you must upgrade, I understand the reasons too well. I've been in a similar position and have had to experiment around a bit lately to find that one perfect car for me and my quest is ongoing.

As many others have suggested, my recommendation is that you test-drive the Skoda Karoq. You own a GT TSI and you know the build quality/ drive-ability of the VW/ Skoda cars. Infact, a couple of TBHPians have mentioned on the Karoq Ownership thread about it's interiors being better than that of their Octavia's. If you have any second thoughts, believe me the test-drive will change that perspective.

Yes, Karoq is not as fun to drive as the TRoc but it is still way ahead of other cars in this range. And it is big on space and comfort. The on-road price of Karoq touches 30L but one TBHPian has managed to score a sweet 1.4L discount on the ex-showroom price which would roughly convert to 1.75L on road from Pune.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 12th September 2020 at 21:41. Reason: Spell check
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

I recently took a test drive of the diesel Seltos. It really seems to be a well rounded product in terms of price/performance. I was able to extract a decent mileage of approx 16-17 kmpl on a mixed city/highway run of about 8-10 km. Its suspension also seems to be a bit softer than the DCT Seltos, but that could be because the car is a bit older at 20000km+.

I was told by the salesperson that the BS6 diesel is not available across the country as yet, even some pumps in Pune for example dont have it. This seems very strange to me, given that its 5 months since the transition happened. I also didn't receive any satisfactory response regarding any DPF/LNT issues, since the Hyundai/Kia 1.5 diesels dont use urea.
Any inputs on this would be useful.

By the way, I also had a test drive of the Compass 1.4 DDCT some days earlier. I liked the car for its robust build and general comfort, but oh, boy, the engine/transmission combination made the car behave like a big stubborn German Shepherd, whining, dragging at the leash, just refusing to come for a walk/run. It certainly had the potential but overall, just didn't show up. And it was thirsty too !

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th September 2020 at 17:15.
Old 16th September 2020, 21:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I recently took a test drive of the diesel Seltos. Its suspension also seems to be a bit softer than the DCT Seltos, but that could be because the car is a bit older at 20000km+.

I was told by the salesperson that the BS6 diesel is not available across the country as yet, even some pumps in Pune for example dont have it.

By the way, I also had a test drive of the Compass 1.4 DDCT some days earlier. It certainly had the potential but overall, just didn't show up. And it was thirsty too !
Hi

1. Seltos is a good overall package. Personally, I would prefer the Diesel AT as its a Torque Converter and price-wise the on-road price almost matches the Petrol DCT variant's price.

Regarding the suspension, I had read up earlier on TBHP as-well as based on user experience in my circle that the suspension tunes out to be a bit softer than the initial 'new' car delivery time as the mileage gets added to the car.

2. The information about the availability of BS6 fuel (both Petrol and Diesel) seems unreliable. I did a net search and this is what I see:

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...price/1905894/

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...4.cms?from=mdr

3. Good that you did the TD on Compass, while at it, you should have tried the Diesel 4X4 AT as-well.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 21:39   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm going to go against the grain and advise you to get the Harrier AT.

Reasons:
- You are the sole driver in your household. I'm shopping in a similar segment as you right now, but the reason why the Harrier is not in my serious consideration set is that the missus is apprehensive about handling anything this big (the Seltos/Creta are about the same length as a mid-segment sedan)
- The rear seat space in the Harrier cannot be beat. You've said you don't much dig the brown leather feel so splurge a little and get the Dark Edition. All black interiors topped off with some stylish exterior cues may just change your mind!
- Sheer presence-wise, it's the only vehicle in your shortlist that makes the grade. None of the others can be called an SUV in the true sense.
- Within your budget. The top-end (non-Dark edition) Harrier lands on road in Pune at under 24L.

I share GTO and others' concerns about selling a car barely 2 years old but won't relitigate their case here. Hope this helps!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 07:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I'm going to go against the grain and advise you to get the Harrier AT.

Reasons:
- You are the sole driver in your household. I'm shopping in a similar segment as you right now, but the reason why the Harrier is not in my serious consideration set is that the missus is apprehensive about handling anything this big (the Seltos/Creta are about the same length as a mid-segment sedan)

- Sheer presence-wise, it's the only vehicle in your shortlist that makes the grade. None of the others can be called an SUV in the true sense.
- Within your budget. The top-end (non-Dark edition) Harrier lands on road in Pune at under 24L.
Thanks for your inputs. Long story short, it is the Creta that is now finalised after a lot of analysis and dilly-dallying. Took a review of the Seltos and Creta along with the missus (which I had been avoiding so far because of the pandemic), and we both felt that the back seat experience of the Creta was a tad better than the Seltos.In almost everything else, they are equal, the Creta feeling slightly more SUV like to drive and perhaps has slightly better approach angle with a bit of a nose-up or neutral stance, while the Seltos feels a wee bit nose down. But that is marginal.
We gave a serious thought to the Harrier, Compass and Tucson, but the Tucson fell out of favour because of the economics. The Harrier fell out of favour because it would be a bit too big a solution for a city+long trips requirement where 60% driving would be in the city/suburban areas. Plus, our society's internal roads have some tight turns round the buildings, and to get the Harrier into the parking and out of the gates would be a bit of a chore.

The Compass DCT , while being capable on highway, didn't impress in the city run, and the fuel efficiency just made me wince (it was showing around 5-6 kmpl). The diesel 4WD AT version seemed to be too much to pay for hardware which may not be used all the time. Add to that Jeeps wafer thin service network, where even in Pune, their workshop is over 20 km from my house.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st October 2020 at 07:52.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks