Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 05:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Please suggest as Im really confused. All three cars fall within a budget of 17 lakhs.
With what you’re looking to spend, and the cars you’re looking at, you also have the choice of looking at used last gen CRVs -

https://droom.in/cars/used?page=1&ta...condition=used

If you decide to buy the Koreans, please read this thread first, before you finalise the purchase -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Good luck & choose wisely.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:36   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No way would I recommend anyone buying someone else's 100,000 km car. Now, don't get me wrong = if it is my own car, I would own it beyond 200,000 km (as I have my Jeep). But here, I know its full history & have kept her well. Buying someone else's 100,000 km car poses too much risk. It's a lot of running for Indian roads; my personal cap when buying a used car is 40,000 - 50,000 km.

The 1st-gen Fortuner is also bumpy, with an outdated cabin, poor handling & mediocre brakes.

Buy a new Seltos / Creta and be happy. These are superbly engineered machines.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly don't go for a 1L km run car even if it's a Toyota, I was searching for used Fortuners in Bangalore on CarWale and I was shocked to see almost all 13-14 vintage cars have covered more than 1.25L kms and are still demanding 16-17L. I am not even getting quotes of 13L here in Mumbai for my 14' 85K kms run Fortuner!

Go for a new Seltos, it will give you proper peace of mind, has comfort, 10 times the features of the Fortuner, performance is good and mainly it doesn't have a single drawback! Usually no car is perfect but the Seltos is one car that I found that does everything right without faltering on any aspect.

Look at the Fortuner only if you have a specific demand of high ground clearance, more space, strong diesel engine with almost zero turbo-lag, want to tower above others and want extremely low service costs with minimum electronics, easy availability of spare parts.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Was in a similar predicament few years back. Owning a Fortuner was the dream and wanted to get a pre-worshipped car. Shopped exclusively through ToyotaUTrust

The heart said Fortuner, but few reasons, we choose a new car, reasons below.

1) In Bangalore the used car prices do not scream value for money. At 15L Budget, was barely getting 2012/2013 models (MT) with atleast 85k on Odo.

2) Checked multiple Fortuners from ToyotaUTrust. One was obviously flood damaged and the dealer was still trying to palm it off. Was thinking will remove the guess work of used cars by paying a premium, but this incident took away the "trust" from ToyotaUTrust.

3) Final Nail in coffin, took a back to back test drive with my Dad : a used Innova and Used Fortuner. Though the Fortuner made me smile, his vote went for the Innova.

Would recommend getting a new car.
kaushikr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:32   #20
BHPian

I wouldn't suggest even a newer/lesser run 1st gen (and the facelift) Fortuner unless you're really considering some serious off roading along with your highway runs. The ride is uncomfortable at best. In comparison to the Seltos, NVH will be higher and equipment levels are sparse. It might end up being one of those cases of 'Don't meet your heroes'.

We've had our time with large body-on-frame SUVs with a 2009 Endeavour 4x4 AT and while road presence was incredible and you got the feeling you could drive though anything, it was lacking in most other areas.

For highway trips and kuccha roads, I'd suggest an Innova Crysta. It's significantly more comfortable and considering it is a newer generation vehicle, you get a better feature distribution and improved refinement. Resale value for these vehicles in KA are absurd though so you'll have a tough time finding one that fits in your budget. So unless you can find a good one (run around 50-60k in 3 years perhaps?), I'd suggest you purchase the Seltos, which would serve your purpose quite well with the added peace of mind that you were the first.

Took a good while to find this : https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-innov...iid-1591801394. Since it's a Toyota U-Trust vehicle, it's definitely more trustworthy and you'll manage yourself some extra warranty. Don't forget to check service and accident history. (Considering BHPian kaushikr's post above, also check for flood damage )

Last edited by saur95 : 24th September 2020 at 10:39. Reason: Added reaction to kaushikr's post
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:53   #21
BHPian

Hi

As others have metioned, your requirement is not too clear on whether you plan on a 4X4 expedition or a city/ highway run-about at the moment except for the budget you have mentioned.

My recommendation as many other TBHPians is that you not look at the 1L + run Fortuner or any other used car that has run so much for that matter. I am not completely aware about the prices of the pre-owned cars in Bangalore, there was a recent thread about the pre-owned car sales dealers(being referred to a mafia and that they keep the costs high for prospective buyers like us).

My last three cars have been bought used, thanks to TBHP, and I've had a very successful pick and absolutely no issues thus far. So, the way I see it, basis your analysis of the use of this car:

1. You could pick a new Seltos/ Creta. It looks like you've already booked one. The long new warranty and the ability to extend will help you with the peace of mind immensely. There are a lot of top-end Seltos that were picked up in 2019 up for re-sale in Hyderabad. Do check on OLX. You can spend the money saved on accessorizing or protecting (PPF/ Coating/ Underbody coat/ Sound proofing).

2. If you were looking for a used car, if I were in your place I would definitely be giving it my best try before signing up for a new car, there are the things to keep in mind:

a. As GTO said, try looking for a car which has run less than 30k - 40k. And probably not more than 4 years old.

b. See if you can find a car that still has the company warranty running. I bought a used Creta which was a year old run just about 9k kms for 18-20% less than the new car price. And I paid 12k to extend its warranty by 2 further years to give me 4 years of cover post I bought it. I spent the money I saved on protecting the car by going in for PPF, under-body coat, Sound-proofing by 3M, etc.

c. "More car per car" for the money you have. If 4X4 or even a trail run was your fantasy, I would probably be looking for a used Jeep Compass 4X4. Diesel Manual is torquey and has the right driving dynamics. I've seen many 2018-19 models up for sale lately in Hyderabad.

d. To the extent possible, I try and scout a used car directly from an owner. Nothing against good dealers, if you know some and have had experiences but somehow, when you meet with the car owner and see how they have maintained the car, it gives a lot of first hand info. I have always sold my cars privately (except for this one time due to the pandemic as I did not want to have many visitors at home). And I spend a good hour with a prospective buyer, let him test-drive the car extensively, show and tell them all about how the car was kept-up, etc.

--Kalyan
Old 24th September 2020, 12:08   #22
BHPian

My 2 cents on your problem and if i may add to it

I just bought a used toyota innova crysta z AT 2017 model with 34500 km ODO for Rs 16.50 lakhs. It was in pristine condition but insurance was expired. So add another 60000 to the price.
I had looked at new Ford Endeavour, Fortuner, Tata Harrier before i finally decided to take the plunge for crysta.
And i must say, i am very satisfied at the decision and also i saved a cool RS 20 lakhs (if i had bought the Endy: which i had almost finalised). I used the saved money to upgrade the speakers, amp ,woofer, tail lights and few other minor upgrades). The comfort and ride of it is unparalelled.

So you may have a look at this option if you can get a hand on it or i will suggest that you buy a new seltos/creta.

All the best for the decision
manasmadaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:42   #23

How about a new Hexa? I am pretty sure Tata would have good deals for it to fall within your budget.
unknowntrainer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:10   #24
BHPian

Just read the thread on Innova crossing 10 lakh Kms, it does speak volumes about Toyota's bullet proof reliability, a Fortuner around 1+ lakh kms if maintained well is also expected to perform on similar lines. However your requirement does not warrant the need for a 7 year old big bare bones SUV which ain't a very comfortable ride and neither a efficient one. Needless to say any day a new ride in your budget which ticks all the right boxes for you is better than a used one. I would go for the Seltos since Creta's styling seems unappealing in my personal opinion. Check out @Karan561's thread on his Seltos GTX+DCT, him being the owner of a 1st Gen Fortuner, 2nd Gen Fortuner and the Seltos will give you a first hand owners perspective on the same.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...l-gtx-dct.html (Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT))
Shanky_1002 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:43   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I'd suggest going in for a new Hexa as it is extremely comfortable with decent grunt vs efficient. ICE will not require an upgrade. Only downside is a bit inconsistency in Tata service and poor headlights (LED them up at little cost and effort. Huge difference). Or maybe wait for a bit and get a used 2.2 AT Endeavour, an incredible machine. I'd suggest against Seltos because quite a number of complaints and part failures in a new car and my personal dislike for this category of vehicles (FWD only electronics and no driving dynamics types, no offense to owners but that's just my two cents).
Old 24th September 2020, 16:15   #26
BHPian

What a timing of this thread! My current ride is Duster (Manual) which I got it from showroom back in 2016. Vehicle is about to complete 4 years and I am looking to upgrade to an Automatic SUV. I have personally liked Seltos but not convinced with the size and road presence. I am a fan of big and bulky SUV's.

My budget is around 15L-18L. So planning to take pre-owned route. Have shortlisted 2 vehicles. XUV 500 AT & Previous generation Fortuner AT. There are plenty of options in OLX, Bangalore but most of them are posted by dealers. Hard to find it from owners directly. Dealer prices are realistic compare to individual owners who's expectations are really high!

Most of the pre-owned Fortuner 4x2 AT's (Previous gen) are driven well above 1 lakh KM. Around 5 years old with single owner. They are available in the range of 16L-18L. Mostly from dealers. Top end XUV W10 AT's are available in the range of 13L-15L. Less than 4 years old with single owner. Driven less than 80K KM.

Heart says Fortuner AT but mind says XUV AT. Heart/Mind battle is still ON!

Question: Which dealer are you talking about? How is the reputation of the dealer? Did you check in Toyota U-Trust?
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

A 7 year old Fortuner with just 1.22 lakh km on the odo? Well, my friend, I don't buy the dealer's story here.

You know how easy it is to tamper the odometer? And moreover you are buying it from a dealer and not from the owner himself. There is 99% probability that the odo is tampered.

When you are spending 17 lakhs on a car, buy something modern like the Korean twins. A 2013 fortuner is very basic, in all ways, be it ride quality or interior quality or features or driving pleasure or dynamics. I would rather buy a new hot Seltos than buy the 7 year old Toyota.

Not that I am against big figures on the odo, I myself own cars with bigger mileage in them. But I seldom trust another man to have cared for his car like I do. It's just me.

A fortuner can take a lot of abuse and will last 3+ lakh km easily. But then, you have to evaluate the trade-off between what you lose out in a 7 year old Fortuner for the road presence and may be, bragging rights.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:51   #28
BHPian

How about a used Hexa 4X4 or XTA? You should find mildly used examples around 15L. It will be a great highway companion and the ride quality is supremely comfortable.

You can also look for unsold BS4 examples registered to the dealer. 2nd owner on paper, but 1st owner otherwise - That's a great bet. Slightly off topic- a Hyderabad Tata dealer told me that they have over 30 such vehicles, spread across various models - among which there was a nice JTP Tiago for sale.

Another option is to look for a used Compass 4X4, if you don't mind the slightly smaller cabin. It has stellar dynamics and is something that you'd want to keep driving on and on.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 21:56   #29
BHPian

I think it is a straight forward choice. Please look at the Korean twins or if you need a big vehicle, Tata Hexa. However reliable the Fortuner is, it is a bumpy ride and you will feel the age of it every time you sit in it.
Old 24th September 2020, 23:11   #30
BHPian

I would have opted for a used Toyota Fortuner over those Korean toys any given day.

I also wouldn't be worried about the high mileage of the used Toyota and neither should you, but if you are still skeptical then I reccomend that you go through another thread on this forum on a Toyota Innova successfully completing 10 lac kilometers.

The only thing which would have held me back is the new scrappage policy which can be implemented any day now. A 2013 diesel vehicle does not have a lot many years to serve you till it becomes a piece of garbage.

My suggestion- wait it out, at least till early next year, the existing models might get good discounts during the festive season or, even better, Honda/Toyota could surprise the market with a mid segment SUV (to counter the Thar, maybe).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks