Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Renault Duster 42 12.32%
Nissan Kicks 35 10.26%
Hyundai Creta 65 19.06%
Kia Seltos 152 44.57%
MG Hector 7 2.05%
Maruti S-Cross 23 6.74%
Other (please specify in your post) 17 4.99%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster Turbo-Petrol vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

I own Nissan Kicks XV Diesel and I love it Obviously I have voted for Kicks. It is such an underrated crossover, with the new CVT and Turbo it should be a superb vehicle to own. Nissan has been making some good changes in user experience as well, they have updated the Nissan app which now feels slick. I am confident they are still in the game with the new Magnite launch.

I understand why Seltos is a top pick for many. Also, kindly note all reviews/comparisons of Seltos talks about the top end. If you compare variants in the same price bracket you might be surprised at the value of Kicks. Even minor things like padding on doors Nissan is better. Only thing I would recommend to is to check the ratings and do your due diligence of Nissan service near you. In my city they are good.

Seltos does have its negatives such as no ESP on diesel variants and critical braking issues reported by many.

I would recommend you guys to test drive the Kicks back to back with Seltos before taking a decision. One more suggestion Please go for a vehicle in your budget which has ESP, it is a life saver.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster Turbo-Petrol vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others-c0d5a41a9f2745a7bd8fdcc368e0cd14.jpeg  

Last edited by Godzilla : 20th October 2020 at 11:13.
Godzilla is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

You may call it a segment above, but none of the options is able to make a cut. I would much rather prefer a new or pre-worshiped JEEP Compass or a VW T-ROC.

Reasons:
- Quality of white body and issues with brakes with Hyundai & Kia duo; I have had Verna in past and am somehow not happy with service experiance of Hyundai barring company owned and operated service centres (HMPIL); which no longer exist

- Nissan is pathatic when it comes to dealing with post sales experiance

- S-cross is Maruti at the end of the day and the automatic is a 4 speed TC, which is outdated

I tried MG Hector, but the car is not tight enough to give driving pleasure, its too bulky for what it offers

I have had a good experiance with both Kashyap Fiat and Landmark in terms to service and spares, compass is a cut above and has been fairly reliable (first hand experiance in extended family); another alternative would be 1.5 TSI T-ROC from VW, which again clicks all expectations.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:29   #18
BHPian

Surprised to see how to Hector is doing in this poll. I loved the hype around the car pre-launch but wasn't a fan after seeing it in flesh.

That said, I feel it's the most bang-for-buck SUV/crossover in this segment. Allow me to elaborate:
  • Comfort: as important as driving dynamics are, when I'm buying a cushy SUV, I'm more concerned with comfort and plush ride quality than anything else.
  • Space: it's larger than many other SUVs here. Perfect for road trips and getaways.
  • Features: everything from the tablet-style display to the sunroof and more, it's perfect for a car at this price. To be very honest, I'm surprised how little you can get after 15-20L with some other cars.
  • Safety: while I couldn't find much on crash test data, the MG EZS seems to have done fairly well. So while they're two completely different cars, it seems that despite its Chinese background, MG hasn't ignored crash test performance entirely.
I liked the Seltos when it first came out, but seeing the well-written pros & cons section for the cars in this thread, it seems that the Hector is the most VFM pick here. One of my friends has one and he loves it. Says the steering and overall plushness reminds him of his A6. After the Audi, it's his fav car for a more relaxed drive.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the Hector!

Last edited by AnInternetUser : 20th October 2020 at 11:31.
AnInternetUser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:51   #19
BHPian

Voted for Duster Turbo after test driving Seltos, Creta and Kicks along with Duster recently. Both Seltos and Creta attracted me with loaded gadgets and a car worth their price in todays date. For Creta, turbo without a manual felt like uncontrolled power which keeps you safe but you can't enjoy. Paddle shifter was getting overridden by the computer which was bit irritating. Kicks, having the same engine and plush interiors without sunroof in top model gave a nice feel. But steering was on heavier side. Many buyers might be scared seeing the only car offered by Nissan wondering if they might wind up soon when Duster with same engine is coming for ~3-4 lakhs less. Duster gave me the smile in my face with its power and nice suspension. But the missing features for a car at 15Lakhs are too painful to live with. Still if someone wants to enjoy a car with a don't care attitude to the underlying potholes and get sheer power, Duster should be the choice. Seltos definitely also has almost same characteristics, but comes with a premium for sure.
livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:54   #20
BHPian

For an outflow of a million+ Rupees my vote goes for the S-Cross.

The Creta is appealing but too much bling, its the right size and the exteriors for me are palatable, but the new steering design is no-no for me. Plus, Creta is a new whole new generation, I believe Hyundai will need one more iteration to soften the edges.

Service issues with Seltos/Creta, product recall reluctance on the braking issue from Hyundai/Kia is unacceptable. Kia needs more time in our market, the product blitzkrieg needs to settle down. Not pouring my million on something so nascent. Same is true for MG Motors as well.

No offence to Renault/Nissan owners is India. These brands have failed in India, a green shoot in 2-3 years timespan is not convincing enough. Lack of product roadmap or any assurance on longevity of Company's existence is worrisome. Not ploughing my million rupees on such laggards.

I am now only left with making do with the S-Cross, yes it boring but it is consistent, service wise relatively lesser hassle. If only MS would have been upfront on updating the Engine options on S-Cross (replacing the 1.3 MJD with the 1.5 Petrol, they took their own sweet time in transitioning which was inevitable, but I did run out of patience), I would have chosen S-Cross over Jazz VX CVT.

I don't know when the Subaru, Honda and Toyota will launch their crossovers from the first world here, wonder what are they waiting for?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st October 2020 at 23:13. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Old 20th October 2020, 12:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
If you were to build your own car from these cars, what part would you pick from each of these. My answers -
1. Renault's petrol engine/MG's diesel engine
2. Kia's body styling and interiors
3. Creta's panaromic sunroof
4. MG's ICE/touchscreen
5. S-Cross's service network and price :-)
I will also add "TATA's brilliant active and passive safety systems" to the above 5 points and Harrier actually meets almost all the points.

So, if I am in the lookout for a car around 20L, my pick would be the option others i.e., a Harrier.
Safety - check
Killer butch looks - check
Spacious and upmarket interiors - check
Android auto & apple car play - check (I don't expect anything else from my infotainment honestly)
Excellent Harman sound system - check
Panaromic sunroof - check
Strong diesel with AT - check
Excellent ride & handling - check

As all brands have their fair share of niggles and some have serious safety issues, will definitely take the plunge with TATA as I feel if we maintain any mechanical machine well, it will reciprocate in the same way back and TATA generally has very strong mechanical package. After sales service is not up there with the best, but they are improving. They will definitely add the features like connected car tech, wireless charging and other creature comforts missing in v3.0.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 20th October 2020 at 12:48.
klgiridhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Voted for other. If i want to spend 15+ lakhs, I will go for Tata Harrier only. Dark edition looks really awesome and way bigger than likes of Seltos, Creta, Duster. Hector, no chance, strictly no Chinese car for me. Harrier looks also segment above than others. 2.0 is really improved as confirmed by many.

Already started saving to buy Harrier in near future
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Voted for Seltos.

Also, the Seltos enters the Harrier pricing range. Would have picked Harrier had it been on the list.

But amongst the given SUVs here, any day Seltos. KIA has given it everything keeping the feature lovers with loads of gizmos happy as well as the satisfying the driving enthusiasts with a *good suspension setup ticking all the boxes in the dynamics department.
tanaysn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:37   #24
BHPian

I have voted for the Seltos for the sake of this poll , but to be honest, on this side of 20 Lacs whatever it may be, the Harrier is my first and foremost choice. A strong diesel, excellent build and design, and a true SUV indeed. The crossovers are way inferior when it comes to the comparison between the Harrier and crossovers. And the never ending, zero response by Kia/Hyundai on the Brake failure would seriously resist me to sign the cheque for whopping 2 million bucks.

Moreover, the Harrier is now well accepted by the audience. Guess what, yesterday I spotted 3 Harriers in quick succession of what, 20 meters?.

It's really good to see such response for a very deserving and VFM product by the people. Good news for Tata as well.

Last edited by chiefpk : 20th October 2020 at 12:39.
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:08   #25
BHPian

Nice thread.
Voted for Kia Seltos.

I currently own Duster 85 PS.
If I am in market today for hunting diesel car, my top pick will be Seltos just for that extra power and torque converter. I will wait for Seltos to arrive in used car market and will certainly pick diesel AMT version.

I must say that Duster 85 PS diesel is good enough, although it lacks mid and top punch. By today market standards, Duster lacks lots of features but scores really high on handling department. The car is keeping me happy in city and long drives.
Old 20th October 2020, 13:11   #26
BHPian

I voted for others because all the cars in this price band are expensive and crossing above 19L for the top spec versions (except Duster & S-cross) and not to mention the BRAKE issue of the Korean twins after paying so much doesn't do justice

I would have picked either duster or S cross if AWD and better interiors were retained in the former and 1.6L DDiS in the latter. The rest of the names in the list have the features but seeing the prices of C-segment and D-segment cars over the years, it's a lot less car for more money(features aside which we'll eventually be bored with some features after a couple of years).

Plus the maintenance of the gizmos (if there's an issue) in the cars as well as the car makers give us these connected car features such as car stats, SOS button and the likes (AA and Carplay with existing touchscreen systems do the job well. I'm not a fan for connected car tech though it's the future)

Last edited by jithin23 : 20th October 2020 at 13:13.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Popular opinion matching sales chart figures too this time. I will go with the S-Cross. Yes it is old but I would vouch for a Suzuki pertol engine over any Korean/Chinese/European any day. The Build quality is much better than any light Suzuki car they have made and will be at par with the expectations of the "thud" sound wanting crowd.

All wheel disc brakes, cruise control etc is all I need. If one wants the bling and a window on the roof which might leak in the future due to the harsh Indian weather can always look for the fancy and well dressed competitors. The S-Cross is old but simple but it would last the long run for sure. For everything else, anything else mentioned above would do.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:46   #28
BHPian

Voted for Others (Harrier). I really like what Tata are doing with their cars. And Harrier with a few offers shaves of 1 lakh of the top variant landing it @23L vs Hyundai twins' 21L and Hectors 21L as well. That's comparable to me. For that money, there's a well built car with outstanding looks and presence, a significantly superior engine vs Hyundai twins, well packaged AT, features list to my liking and a car manufacturer making an honest attempt. Add to it, Hyundai's ASS aren't what they used to be and cost isn't an advantage either anymore.

Harrier if I had to choose from the lot here.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:58   #29
BHPian

Voted for Others. If I'm considering vehicles at this price point (i.e., 17+ lacs area for the top variants of these cars like the Creta/Seltos), I would rather put my money in the Harrier. Barring the bells and whistles aspects (where the Harrier doesn't score too bad either), the Harrier clearly feels a segment above - big in size, more power, the plush ride quality and the superbly mated torque converter to the 2.0 engine.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:21   #30
BHPian

Voted for Nissan Kicks. For me it was an elimination process than a selection process. Maruti S Cross is being the strong built among all other Marutis, but still the build quality has come down from the first generation. The Diesel one was more fun to drive compared to this 1.5 , because of these two reasons I eliminated S-Cross. Both Hyundai and Kia are from the same stable and share the same mechanics, so elimination was easy. I luckily escaped from an accident one time from an understeer of a Hyundai and the current quality issues of Hyundai and Kia, made me to eliminate them. MG, being a new entrant and it is a pure Chinese company, I have my own reservation on durability and reliability. So, that also didn't make the cut. Even though Duster and Kicks share the same engine and transmission, the Kicks have a better interiors and more practical design, hence I picked up Kicks 1.3 Turbo petrol. That's an awesome machine.
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks