Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Hyundai Tucson 107 34.29%
Honda CR-V 27 8.65%
Jeep Compass 106 33.97%
Volkswagen T-Roc 29 9.29%
Mahindra Alturas G4 20 6.41%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 7.37%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others

Voted for the compass

We picked one up almost 2 years ago in the Diesel MT BS4 guise after deliberating between the Compass, Tucson and the Octavia.

Absolutely no regrets and still loving the experience. I find the compass to be a car with a lot of character with that imposing looks, powerful engine, the golf ball stick shift and the stability and handling at high speeds. And its perfectly sized for the city, comfortable for a family of 4 for long runs and the lovely white interior feels put together as well as it was on the day we brought it home.
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:51   #17
BHPian

Voted Other.

I was in the market for precisely this combination recently and after endless TD's, I am of the opinion that this is a gap and no one SUV fits the bill for a "luxury" SUV that seats 5, looks good, has a 2.0L+ engine and is in the 30-35L range OTR. Basically for someone who is looking for a step up from Creta/Seltos/City/Verna etc into the D1 segment, but wants some value for money too.

The ideal combination would be the size of a Tucson with the interior quality of a Karoq/Kodiaq. Karoq's too small for the money and Kodiaq's too big(and too expensive). Tucson is right sized, but the interiors are a generation old.

On paper, the Harrier fits these requirements perfectly and is priced very well too. In fact, I believe it is too well priced - there is a certain expectation of exclusivity that folks in this market seem to expect. The 5 seater Tiguan will be a good sweet spot too (depending on the pricing .. 45L OTR and that wont fly either)

CR-V is great actually, but Honda doesn't put any muscle behind selling it.
Compass diesel is amazing in its ride, but the size doesn't do it any favours. for 32L OTR in Bangalore, it feels the same size as the Creta.
manku is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 00:52   #18

I just bought a used 2017 Tucson (AT, Diesel, GLS) that had done only 21000 kms. The other contender was Jeep Compass, but couldn't find any auto variant in used car market. In the 100 km or so that I've driven so far, it seems that I made the right decision by going with theTucson. I currently drive the Honda Civic (2019 petrol) and earlier had the Creta. The Tucson is in a different class altogether, especially if power and safety are what you're looking at.
varsin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 09:35   #19
BHPian

This is a tough one. The updated Tucson really does look good on the outside, and has the after sales of Hyundai to back it up, but the interiors do not match with the price tag, Creta has a much better looking interior and some more features as well.

Especially with the launch of updated Harrier with the brilliant 170ps engine plus TC combo, it's harder for me to recommend the Tucson strongly.

The Compass, well it really is a driver's car, a bit like the Polo GT, if I'm being honest. A complete blast to drive but for someone whose first priority might not be driving dynamics, it's a bit hard to recommend considering the price and features on offer.

If I had to recommend one of these cars, after checking the local Tata dealership, whether they're okay and responsive, it'd be the Harrier auto. It's too good to not consider.

Last edited by SaiSW : 5th November 2020 at 09:37.
Old 5th November 2020, 10:05   #20
BHPian

Frankly in the list - it would be Troc. I find it the most VFM in the list. If I look seriously for Tuscon, I would stretch a bit more and get the Endeavour.
Old 5th November 2020, 10:28   #21
BHPian

I voted Tuscon because after a lot of test-rides & research, I purchased a BS4 petrol GLS last year with a good discount. So far I have enjoyed the car with zero misgivings as it loaded on features, good ride quality, solid interior & smooth service experience (no service cost for 3 years which is part of package). Of course its a looker & I give a second glimpse even after 1 year.

My choice then was between Kia Seltos Vs Tuscon, where I found the 4 lakh difference good enough to get into next segment. Compass was too cramped & lack of automatic was again a challenge (Petrol engine was dismal).

However if I were to buy now, I would definitely check out the Harrier Automatic (was not available last year) & Skoda Karoq before making a decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others-t7-2.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 5th November 2020 at 12:49. Reason: Typos.
urajkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 10:36   #22
BHPian

I voted for other. Would take the Karoq or wait for the Kodiaq to make a final decision.

I was in the exact same dilemma last year at this time because I had to sell my Endeavour 3.2 after I moved to Bangalore. My choices were the Tuscon or the Tiguan. I test drove both extensively and even though the Tuscon was more powerful I felt the Tiguan put its power down better, and overall had a much more engaging drive. It didn't hurt, that I got the Tiguan for a good amount less after discounts than the GLS AWD. Also, even though I don't drive for fuel economy the Tiguan is prob 40% better in the same driving conditions. I recently did a Bangalore - Chennai drive with about 500kg of granite stones in the car and still got around 19kmpl driving at a good speed.

I'm sure the facelift Tuscon with the 8 speed is better than the previous model but my concern is also that an actual new model Tuscon launched globally and I'd constantly be upset seeing articles and reviews of that while driving my "new" model here. At least the Karoq and Kodiaq are current generation and won't look drastically different over the next 4 years or so.
showboat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for the Tucson. It is well kitted out (OK doesn't have ventilated seats that a Creta also gets!) & looks excellent. Stylish, proportionate as well as subtle. Specifications are good & so is the power-plant.

I'm a bit confused as to how the Alturas G4 found it's way in this shoot out? Doesn't it actually belong in the segment with Fortuner, Endeavor, Gloster? Or this shootout is for cars with low sales numbers MoM and thats why the Alturas is here ?
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Honestly, none of these cars make sense. All of them are either highly overpriced and/or come with some major compromises like Honda’s choice of powertrain or Jeep’s poorly calibrated AT OR TRoc’s tiny cabin. All of them are certified market duds. Which means all of them are MASSIVE depreciation disasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Voted Other.

I was in the market for precisely this combination recently and after endless TD's, I am of the opinion that this is a gap and no one SUV fits the bill for a "luxury" SUV that seats 5, looks good, has a 2.0L+ engine and is in the 30-35L range OTR. Basically for someone who is looking for a step up from Creta/Seltos/City/Verna etc into the D1 segment, but wants some value for money too.
This seems to be the general trend here. Quite surprising as SUVs are on fire in every other segment but nobody bothered with a truly competitive offering here. The 20-30 lakh bracket is quite lifeless right now.
chieftain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Jeep Compass for me, the Trailhawk version which I picked up recently with a good discount.

How much did you pay on road after discount?
Old 5th November 2020, 14:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
This seems to be the general trend here. Quite surprising as SUVs are on fire in every other segment but nobody bothered with a truly competitive offering here. The 20-30 lakh bracket is quite lifeless right now.
I ended up buying a Superb, so at least one missed opportunity gone for the SUV camp
manku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
This will be a segment to watch out for in the coming 5 years I feel…

With how SUVs are flying off the shelves, there is definitely space for a Octavia/Corolla/Elantra equivalent — a premium SUV that is parkable and maneuverable in the city (ie. not 3 row size). Is this a big enough use case to carve out a niche between the Creta and Fortuner segments? I feel so, but we'll have to wait and see.
Isn't that where the Hector/Harrier play? Even the upcoming XUV500 can be in that space(current one is too spartan).
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:03   #28
BHPian

Voted Other.

Ideally older 5 seater VW AWD Tiguan with a more premium interior and slightly plush suspension like Kodiaq. VW suspension is good on highways but there is always a hint of sharpness in jolts on indian roads which is not appreciated by passengers.. VW Tiguan Allspace is bigger, not as proportionate and petrol. So NO.

Second option Jeep compass with an AT performing closer to DSG. This is not available

Third Tucson. The present one looks mild like a bigger Hyundai hatchback, does not have AWD, and the ground clearance is less IMO. The previous Santa Fe had good ground clearance.

Ideally we need a premium D1 segment sedan rivalling SUV with AWD, good AT, reasonable power, adequate ground clearance and reasonable arrival and departure angles. No intent of serious offroading but with Indian cities and roads being what they are, this is the most sensible option.

Presently there is nothing like that. And lastly it should be BS6 Diesel. Petrol SUVs at this price point don't cut it with the torque and FE they provide.

PS: Higher ground clearance also affords you slightly more margin in case of frequent flooding which our cities are prone to now.

Last edited by MADMAX111 : 5th November 2020 at 19:05. Reason: Addition to post
Old 5th November 2020, 19:50   #29
BHPian

Four years back when I was shopping in the very same segment I chose the CRV. And I don’t regret it at all.
I chose other in the poll as I think the karoq although over priced is the best all rounder.
Old 5th November 2020, 20:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Jeep Compass
Thanks for the comparisons. The Jeep variants have been changed since the 2017 launch.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 5th November 2020 at 21:53. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks