Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Hyundai Tucson 107 34.29%
Honda CR-V 27 8.65%
Jeep Compass 106 33.97%
Volkswagen T-Roc 29 9.29%
Mahindra Alturas G4 20 6.41%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 7.37%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 08:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others

Others for me. Will prefer a 2 years old used Fortuner or a Brand New Tata Harrier Automatic.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
I ended up buying a Superb, so at least one missed opportunity gone for the SUV camp
i live in north bangalore and i have craters on the road.

superb was my first choice but ended up buying Tucson

how did you gather the courage to buy Superb in bangalore?
Old 11th November 2020, 19:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv View Post
i live in north bangalore and i have craters on the road.

superb was my first choice but ended up buying Tucson

how did you gather the courage to buy Superb in bangalore?
I test drove it literally everywhere across East Blr (HSR, Sarjapur, Marathahalli) on some really bad roads, narrow roads and tight spots and the 163 mm GC never scraped anywhere. Now when I drive, I am careful, but don't do the sideways speed bump shuffle that I see all the Merc's and BMW's (and Honda City's) do.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th November 2020 at 07:49. Reason: Typo.
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:10   #34
BHPian

Tucson for its space, powerful yet frugal engine, smooth 8 Speed automatic, all bells and whistles, good safety and comfortable suspension...
Old 18th May 2021, 18:24   #35
BHPian

Exactly the thread which is running in my mind these days(and nights). Even my 8 years old son have taken prints of the features/specifications of Tuscon/Compass/Safari and keeps comparing it all the time.
Own a 2016 Crysta 2.8 G AT and a 2013 Swift Dzire. Both cars will be kept and new one will primarily be used for city driving and occasional highway drives when all family members won't be travelling. Crysta will primarily remain as highway car. Wife wants something smaller than Crysta and hence outright rejection of another Crysta (I was contemplating Crysta Z petrol). Since Crysta is almost barebone with even the head unit from aftermarket, this time I want fully loaded car with no aftermarket accessories requirement initially. No manual transmission. Diesel/Petrol both can be considered. Budget is around 25 lacs.
Sadly, the current situation and lockdown means no test rides. On paper seems tempted for Tuscon or Jeep. However, Jeep AT isn't inspiring as per many experts, including GTO, so getting cold feet about it.

Any other options should I consider?

PS..Tuscon was trailing by 1 vote in the survey, voted for it and now it's at par with Compass
Old 21st May 2021, 10:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail.atyagi View Post
Own a 2016 Crysta 2.8 G AT and a 2013 Swift Dzire. Both cars will be kept and new one will primarily be used for city driving and occasional highway drives when all family members won't be travelling. Crysta will primarily remain as highway car.
Both Compass and Tucson are great highway cruisers. If either of these are being considered for majorly city drives only, IMO, you would be underutilizing their potential by a huge margin.

Might I suggest something smaller like a Compact SUV, considering you would be using it majorly for City drives? I would go for something like a Nexon/Ecosport (majorly Nexon, considering higher city usage). Only suspect is the general Tata experience.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 11:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Both Compass and Tucson are great highway cruisers. If either of these are being considered for majorly city drives only, IMO, you would be underutilizing their potential by a huge margin.

Might I suggest something smaller like a Compact SUV, considering you would be using it majorly for City drives? I would go for something like a Nexon/Ecosport (majorly Nexon, considering higher city usage). Only suspect is the general Tata experience.
Thanks but problem is that after driving Crysta, it seems difficult to go to Nexon/Ecosport. Plus most of us in family are tall, hence need to consider that too. And biggest reason is that I will mostly drive Crysta and wife won't settle for a segment lower for her primary drive
Old 21st May 2021, 12:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but problem is that after driving Crysta, it seems difficult to go to Nexon/Ecosport. Plus most of us in family are tall, hence need to consider that too. And biggest reason is that I will mostly drive Crysta and wife won't settle for a segment lower for her primary drive
In that case, how about the Creta/Seltos? The build quality is a bit susceptible for the Korean twins, and I don't think Headroom could be an issue as well.

If you want the solid build quality, the Kushaq/Taigun twins and upcoming MG Astor could be good bets too. IMO, these would be perfect for city usage, with good build quality, easy to drive city dimensions, and spacious enough for 5.

If size is not an issue, even MG hector can be a good alternative, considering the excellent low speed ride and a light steering for city usage.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 19:09   #39

New 30-lakh car

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a new 30-lakh rupee car for a family of 4. There weren't any threads with updates answers/choices so I started a new one.

Background - We currently own a Hyundai Verna(7 years old) and a Tata Nexon EV(about 8 months old now).

We had a Vitara Brezza earlier but sold it in August 2020 to make for the EV. Nexon is now the car which we primarily use for our daily business. It is the best car one could ask for in that budget for city use. Strictly city use though because of the range.

Used the brezza earlier for long trips but since its gone, have been using the verna. We have done 4 trips to Surat and 1 trip to Udaipur in the Verna in the past 7 months and are quite surprised by how comfortable it is on the highway. Unfortunately it is showing its age and we need a new car that does well in the city and on the highway.

Verna is for my mom and it will mostly be used for city duties. Not getting rid of it anytime soon. The manual is still very smooth and very fun to drive.

Nexon EV is used by me and my dad. It is primarily chauffer-driven since we travel 80kms daily within city limits throughout the day my dad and is on the phone for most of the time.

The new car will be used by me. It will see about 1000-1200km monthly usage mostly in the city. It will be the only car used on the highways so it needs to be spacious and comfortable.

Didn't consider the Tata twins since we already have a tata product.

Toyota Innova hasn't been considered yet although probably not gonna do it since for 30 lakhs it doesn't seem a value proposition. Also seems too large for the city.

Test Drove the T-Roc and father was thoroughly underwhelmed by it. Seemed very barebones and cramped in the rear seats. Also who needs HEATED SEATS. Especially here in Ahmedabad where temperatures reach 45 degress on a good day.

Ventilated seats was a feature we were actively looking for but gave up on it since noone in this price point seemed to offer it.

We are confused between the Tucson and Compass. The scales are tipping towards the Tucson. We are not in a hurry to make a decision so any upcoming launches in 3-4 months are also welcome. I turn to the wisdom of TEAM-BHP members who can help me make the choice.
agrawalyash11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 20:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: New 30-lakh car

Requirements are not clear - Fuel type (open for petrol), SUV / Sedan or either, manual or automatic

Of your shortlist - Compass is not spacious and the automatic drive was underwhelming. However new compass have really moved higher on interior quality and has a great ride. Tucson is good on space and engine but doesnt drive well as Compass and the interiors doesnt justify the price.

If open for petrol, I would suggest wait for new Octavia and VW Tiguan. These might be between 30 to 35 lakhs OTR.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 21:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Upcoming launches that could be worth considering:

1) Skoda Octavia : A great driver's car, perfect size for the city & highway. If the dealer support in your town is good, could be worth considering with extended warranty ticked.

2) Hyundai Alcazar : A 7 seater Creta / A 5 seater with great cargo room. However, I am not too convinced on highway safety looking at how sibling Kia Seltos fared.

3) Kushaq / Taigun : A segment lower than the Tucson, though fresh design which should be paired with mature ride / handling, good engines, good safety, etc. Legroom should be similar / slightly better than T-Roc.

Currently available options that you can consider are:

1) Tucson : a new model is expected shortly, but the current model is very well priced, has good interiors, fairly reliable & safe (volumes don't justify cost cutting), good engine, and a suspension tuned more towards ride comfort. If the Octavia doesn't work out, this would be my pick too.

2) Compass : I find it overpriced & cramped, but ride & handling is brilliant! You would enjoy it daily but would find the Tucson to be more practical on highway trips with family.

3) Citroen AirCross : Overpriced and cramped judging by reports, but supposedly very comfortable and easy to drive. Between this & the Compass choice would be whichever is more appealing to you.

4) Innova : It's a great workhorse. I would give this to the driver and enjoy the comfort in town; using the Nexon for self driving.

At this price, you can even consider some pre-owned options such as a fairly late model BMW X1 (2019-2020), W212 E Class, F10 5 series. If this appeals, do look around for well maintained low run examples & keep some money aside to help with repairs. Look for facelifted models towards the end of production cycle (2016-2017).

Last edited by lamborghini : 26th May 2021 at 21:02.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 00:14   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Requirements are not clear - Fuel type (open for petrol), SUV / Sedan or either, manual or automatic

Of your shortlist - Compass is not spacious and the automatic drive was underwhelming. However new compass have really moved higher on interior quality and has a great ride. Tucson is good on space and engine but doesnt drive well as Compass and the interiors doesnt justify the price.

If open for petrol, I would suggest wait for new Octavia and VW Tiguan. These might be between 30 to 35 lakhs OTR.
Thanks for taking the time to reply @sunikkat.

Open to petrol provided it doesn't compromise on performance.
Eg - Considering the diesel for Tucson because the 2.0L Petrol compared to 2.0L Diesel makes HALF the torque and and 30 ps less power.

Either Sedan or SUV both work.

Have been eagerly waiting for both of them for quite a while. Went to vw showroom today and the manager indicated increased delay in the Tiguan launch as opposed to the news we've been hearing about the June launch. Octavia is on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Upcoming launches that could be worth considering:

1) Skoda Octavia : A great driver's car, perfect size for the city & highway. If the dealer support in your town is good, could be worth considering with extended warranty ticked.

2) Hyundai Alcazar : A 7 seater Creta / A 5 seater with great cargo room. However, I am not too convinced on highway safety looking at how sibling Kia Seltos fared.

3) Kushaq / Taigun : A segment lower than the Tucson, though fresh design which should be paired with mature ride / handling, good engines, good safety, etc. Legroom should be similar / slightly better than T-Roc.

Currently available options that you can consider are:

1) Tucson : a new model is expected shortly, but the current model is very well priced, has good interiors, fairly reliable & safe (volumes don't justify cost cutting), good engine, and a suspension tuned more towards ride comfort. If the Octavia doesn't work out, this would be my pick too.

2) Compass : I find it overpriced & cramped, but ride & handling is brilliant! You would enjoy it daily but would find the Tucson to be more practical on highway trips with family.

3) Citroen AirCross : Overpriced and cramped judging by reports, but supposedly very comfortable and easy to drive. Between this & the Compass choice would be whichever is more appealing to you.

4) Innova : It's a great workhorse. I would give this to the driver and enjoy the comfort in town; using the Nexon for self driving.

At this price, you can even consider some pre-owned options such as a fairly late model BMW X1 (2019-2020), W212 E Class, F10 5 series. If this appeals, do look around for well maintained low run examples & keep some money aside to help with repairs. Look for facelifted models towards the end of production cycle (2016-2017).
Thanks for taking the time to reply @lamborghini

Agree with you on the Alcazar. Isn't even in consideration.

Aren't looking for something compact so Kushaq/Taigun isn't in consideration.

Waiting for the Octavia launch.

Tucson is in consideration and a test-drive is scheduled for later.

Aircross seems VERY overpriced but heard great things about its ride so probably gonna test it out soon.

What you describe for the innova situation would be ideal but not possible in our arrangement. Father has to move around a lot while being on the phone so it has to be the chauffer driving the EV. Drove the EV about 14000 km in 8 months amid the pandemic. Would easily cross 20000 km in a year if situation was normal. If we use an innova in the city for this, the fuel bills would be insane.

Pre-owned options not considered since the car has to be financed and my father doesn't like the idea of pre-owned machines. But will run this by him and see what happens.

JEEP COMPASS test drive update -

The car looked really good and is surprisingly more feature packed than the Tucson. Loved the handling and ride. The interior was cramped and I mean C-R-A-M-P-E-D. Lack of space coupled with all black interior made us feel hemmed inside the interior. The legroom wasn't enough at all. The rear seat backrest angle is very upright and wouldn't be comfortable for long trips. So with me in the drivers seat, salesman in the passenger seat and father and brother in the rear seat, our experiences of the compass differ to say the least.

The Tucson has all black interiors as well but the space is aplenty inside and we didn't feel hemmed in at all even though the rear windows are puny. The rear seats recline and it is something I didn't know I needed until I saw. Only saw the car in the showroom. Test drive wasn't available immediately so it has been scheduled for later.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th May 2021 at 05:28. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please. Thank you!
agrawalyash11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 00:31   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrawalyash11 View Post
The Tucson has all black interiors as well but the space is aplenty inside and we didn't feel hemmed in at all even though the rear windows are puny.
Hyundai Tucson is what I'll go for given a chance.

The 2.0L Diesel engine + 8-speed TC combination is great for both city and Highway usage. Feature-wise has everything one is going to need. A little negotiations and discounts should be available I feel since it is not a high seller for Hyundai.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th May 2021 at 00:34.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 00:35   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

The tucson diesel is definitely the superior choice between the two powerplants.

The Tiguan will come with the 2.0TSi motor, and I don't expect it to be priced below 30L ex-showroom (even more if they take the CBU route) : if you're open to spending that much, do check out the petrol X1 SportX as well (after discounts).

As a Tiguan owner, I picked the Tiguan over the X1 due to better pricing (7-10L difference between equally Tiguan HL and X1 X-Line), better seat comfort, AWD, etc.
But the X1 was superior to drive, has the brand value, and I expect it to be equal in terms of maintenance (maybe even lower). With the GLA launch, there could be good deals to be had on the X1 soon which could make it a tempting proposition for many.

Quote:
t And biggest reason is that I will mostly drive Crysta and wife won't settle for a segment lower for her primary drive
T-Roc, although tighter on legroom, could be a good option (with extended warranty of course, I don't trust the 7 speed DQ200 DSG).
Its compact, safe, stylish, and due to limited imports : it's fairly rare as well.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th May 2021 at 22:26. Reason: merging posts.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 01:58   #45
BHPian

I was exactly in your spot a couple of months back! Was shopping around the 30-35 range and had shortlisted Compass and Tucson!
Here’s my views about the two cars:
Compass:
I had model S 4x4 in mind.
Looks good plus the interiors feel amazing. But once you get past the initial awe, the interior quality let’s down badly and also the boot size! The door handles creak and the central console shakes and the plastics don’t make you feel like you are in a premium car! When you pay 35 odd lacs you demand a certain premiumness and exclusivity. The compass loses on both. Latter because the range stretches across almost 17 lacs!
Now about driving! The gear box doesn’t make you smile at all! However good the handling and straight line stability be, it might make you remember the feeling you get while overtaking using your brezza diesel! Since you have a brezza too, so I think you can empathise!

But all in all, the car has the capability to take your heart! Somehow the car comes with this sense of go anywhere feel that brings you a sense of peace and confidence while driving in the most difficult terrain. Your leh trips, if at all, could be done easily in this car!

Tucson
2.0 diesel 4x4
The moment you step into Tucson after compass. The interior is a let down! The linear BSVI power delivery isn’t great to talk about either! The car sure is quick but the power delivery takes the fun out! Plus the steering! I never got to take it to the twisties but high speed lane changes were not very confidence inspiring! Also, it just feels old! Spending 32 lacs didn’t make sense to me then!

Somehow post both the test drives, I landed up at a Skoda showroom and just for the heck of it test drove the superb. Never wanted a sedan. But boy I was wrong! The drive brought a grin to my face which didn’t happen in both the previous cars. The interior thought seems dated makes you feel like you are in a class above when you enter the cabin. Plus the little stuff like hydraulic struts for the hood, headlight washers, electric boot, the solid door closes reassure on the premiumness! Did I mention how good the engine is? Damn! Luckily they are bringing it to the new line up! Apart from the GC, the car is super practical in all regards!

The only downside I feel is that I just can’t take this car “anywhere”! The thought of “how’s the terrain going to be like” always bugs me while going for a long drive!

So my suggestion to you would be to strictly wait for the Tiguan and if you can stretch your budget, the kodiaq!

Let us know how it goes for you then! :
Jash2709 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks