Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 22:09   #1
BHPian

Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?

• I got my first car in 2006, a maroon-red Santro called ‘Chubby’. It was liberating to be able to travel wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted in a new city- Mumbai. I loved it, spent many miles together and finally bid adieu to my first car in 2013.

• It was time to upgrade in 2013. My wife and I started the search for a sedan. This was when I got introduced to Team-bhp. Honestly, I spent more hours on reading on the forum than doing test drives. While we were still searching for the perfect sedan, my wife suggested why don’t we try an SUV. So, more reading on Team BHP lead to a test drive of XUV500 and our next car called ‘Wiper’ came home. We loved the high stance, muscular looks, oodles of rear seat space and the road presence. File photo below:
Name:  XUV500.png
Views: 11444
Size:  702.8 KB

• My wife and I had our offices in the same area and so, one car was enough for our daily commute. In 2014, my wife’s office shifted to a new location and the XUV500 along with chauffeur were now dedicated for her commute. So, the need for a new car me. I wanted an easy to drive hatchback for ~5 lakh for easy driving in Mumbai traffic. I took test drives for i10, i20, Polo, Swift and some more. Now this time again, the Team-BHP forum made me chance upon some raving reviews of Polo GT-TSI (I remember some strong feedback from GTO). One test drive and the a white colour ‘Chopper’ came home. Thanks Team-BHP for putting a smile on my face whenever I drive this car. File pic below:
Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?-polo-gt-tsi.png

• 2020: While the XUV500 has served us well, it’s time to move on and so, am back in the hunt for a replacement.
• The ask:
o Primarily a chauffeur-driven car for city commutes and occasional out of city drives around Mumbai
o
Rear seat comfort and leg room is a must
o We love the high stance of XUV- so, no sedan
o A good suspension to manage the potholes in Mumbai
o Easy maneuverability at low speeds in Mumbai traffic
o Reliability, as we usually keep our cars for 7+years
o A full family outing would include 4 adults, 1 kid and 2 dogs
o Budget: Haven’t given it a serious thought. Maybe 50 lakh, can stretch more if needed though we usually believe in ‘value-for-money’ rather than a strict budget.
o
A sunroof is not a must, but would be a delight for my daughter

• Options shortlisted so far, based on secondary research are given below. I just started test-drives from today and will update on that as we go along. Also, you will see that the list is across different segments but then, we want the best car for our purpose rather than go restrict to a small list right now.
o
MPVs: Innova Crysta, Carnival
o SUVs: Endeavour, Fortuner, Kodiaq, TIguan
o
Badges: X3, Discovery Sport, GLC

• Test drive updates:
o Discover Sport: Rejected. Jumpy ride with a poor suspension (though the SE did say that its because the car had just returned from an off-roading exercise, I just didn’t believe that its so much worse than my old XUV), plain interiors for an expensive car and even my dogs would be uncomfortable in the third row seats.
o Tiguan: Rejected. Didn’t even do the test drive. Low space, it’s a 4 seater.

• Key questions:
o Any views on whats the best car to replace XUV?
o Have I missed out on any car?
o Do badges make sense or no? And what about used ones?
o Should I even try MPVs or no?
o Any way to whittle down the list and narrow the decision lens?
• While to some of you, the list may seem to be a wide range right now but it’s worked for me earlier. Both the XUV500 and Polo GT TSI were not even in the consideration set when I started my earlier purchase journeys. Your views are welcome please.

• Finally, thank you Team-BHP for all your help so far!
KAY24 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?

I replaced my XUV which i had for four plus years, with a Harrier AT. been 6 months and 8k kms so far- I feel I made the right decision each time i drive it. Do check out the harrier- it really is a lovely upgrade from the XUV without breaking the bank
himanshugoswami is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY24 View Post

o
Rear seat comfort and leg room is a must
o We love the high stance of XUV- so, no sedan
o A good suspension to manage the potholes in Mumbai
o Easy maneuverability at low speeds in Mumbai traffic
o Reliability, as we usually keep our cars for 7+years
o A full family outing would include 4 adults, 1 kid and 2 dogs
o Budget: Haven’t given it a serious thought. Maybe 50 lakh, can stretch more if needed though we usually believe in ‘value-for-money’ rather than a strict budget.
o
A sunroof is not a must, but would be a delight for my daughter
I would get the new Honda CR-V, if I were you. It fulfils all your requirements along with the added bonus of your service bills being probably cheaper than your Polo.

Plus, the dogs can relax in the cavernous boot.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:51   #4
BHPian

The Honda CRV is a great upgrade so is the X3. Just curious as to why you haven't considered the Innova Crysta / Endeavor/ Fortuner. Any particular reason?
Check out the Tiguan Allspace as well, it's a 7 seater.

Do let us know!
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

With a handsome 50 lakh budget, Ford Endeavour shall be a logical upgrade from the XUV500. It rides slightly better than the Fortuner and Alturas and the amount of features will keep passengers entertained during long journeys.

If you have no qualms with Mahindra service and quality, it would be prudent to wait for the new XUV500.

PS. Although test drive is a must, go through this Alturas G4 drive experience (The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30) of fellow moderator SDP. He also happens to be an XUV500 owner.

You'll find detailed official reviews of the other two (Fortuner and Endeavour 2.0) on the forum.

Last edited by self_driven : 14th November 2020 at 13:14.
self_driven is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 18:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I replaced my XUV which i had for four plus years, with a Harrier AT. been 6 months and 8k kms so far- I feel I made the right decision each time i drive it. Do check out the harrier- it really is a lovely upgrade from the XUV without breaking the bank
Thanks Himanshu for the suggestion, will check it out though am wary of Tata cars on reliability and service.

Thanks ChoosetoCruz, will test drive the CRV as well.
Thanks Sreesh1009, I am considering all the 3 cars you mentioned. Also, I checked out the Tiguan Allspace-didn't like it at all and didn't even bother with a test drive.

Thanks Self_driven. I plan to do test drives of Fortuner and Endeavour. Family doesn't want another Mahindra now, so Alturas and new XUV are not on the list.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th November 2020 at 19:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
KAY24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:24   #7
BANNED

Innova Crysta ZX without a doubt!!

The Crysta is a fantastic car with oodles of room for a large family and pets. Toyota being Toyota are super reliable and reliability should be the last of your worries. Its very feature loaded with 7 airbags, auto-climate control, etc.
The ZX comes comfortably under 30 lakhs and its a very VFM product overall. You might save a few bucks rather than going for a luxury badge on your new car's nose.
If you don't minding spending that healthy 50 lakh budget, then my pick would be the Endeavour or X1. Endeavour has tremendous amounts of space at the back and a voluminous boot with the last row flipped down.
X1, though not as spacious as the Endeavour, is bigger than most rivals and one of the best cars to drive on road.

To sum it up, go for the Innova if you want to save bucks (getting an Endeavour or X1 makes total sense too).

Hope this helps,
Happy hunting.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2020 at 22:46. Reason: Kindly avoid use of acronyms such as Endy
Tachyonites is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 08:03   #8
BHPian

Thanks Tachyonites for the suggestions, it is very helpful.

I like the space in Innova though haven't ever driven one. Will do a test drive in the coming week. Also, am not sure if it makes sense to wait for the facelift version.

On Endeavour: While the enthusiasts on the forum don't like the 2L engine, it guess it may still work for my requirement. I have set up a test drive next weekend. Also, am not sure about the service aspects of Ford.

X1: I didn't find the rear seat comfortable in a friend's car but that was a 2016 version. I will try out the latest version.

Further, there is a lateral upgrade thread which is interesting and makes me wonder if a used car is a better purchase.

I am still trying to wrap my head around what should be my budget. For a salaried person like me, the key consideration would be the EMI to monthly income ratio. Not sure if this is covered in any thread but would be happy to hear views on this.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th November 2020 at 09:26. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. Please type in full without any acronyms / short-forms. Thank You.
Old 15th November 2020, 18:19   #9
BHPian

I went for a test drive of X1 and X3 today.

X1: It felt surprisingly more spacious than the earlier version that my friend has. Easy to drive, minimal turbo lag, reasonable rear seat leg room, nice sunroof and suspension is more comfortable than what I remember. It seems BMW has improved this car significantly from the earlier version.

X3: Wow!! It felt amazing to drive, minimal lag, S mode revs nicely (Polo TSI is still more peppy though this one was diesel and yet felt smooth), steering seems spot on, good stance, rear seat leg room seems comparable to XUV, suspension is much better than X1 (or at least felt better), under thigh support is a bit weak though. In fact, this car left me with a grin after the drive. Of course, it's in a different budget. Did some initial discussions on price and there are discounts available.

Will go slow right now to avoid any impulsive decision and take time to test drive the other cars in my list.
KAY24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:21   #10
BANNED

Quote:
X3: Wow!! It felt amazing to drive, minimal lag, S mode revs nicely (Polo TSI is still more peppy though this one was diesel and yet felt smooth), steering seems spot on, good stance, rear seat leg room seems comparable to XUV, suspension is much better than X1
There is no doubt that X3 is a fantastic car with very few negatives. If you are considering cars in this segment, do consider the new Discovery Sport. The new one is said to be a lot more spacious and practical than the old one and it's rivals. The last row can be flipped down to accommodate large amounts of luggage. As always with JLR, the suspension is terrific and very well suited to our Indian roads. From behind the wheel it feels like driving a huge SUV. Ease of driving and the high seating position makes this as good as the X3 to drive.
Thanks.
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:40   #11
BHPian

The New Crysta might be a much better upgrade. You won't end up spending exorbitant amounts on its servicing or its resale value. The only downside would be the fuel tank size. Other than that, Toyotas reliability and excellent servicing will keep you happy for miles together.

The X's are great SUVs as well but now that you've mentioned the salary perspective and the uncertain times to add to that, the Innova seems like a much better option.

All the best with your decision.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
There is no doubt that X3 is a fantastic car with very few negatives. If you are considering cars in this segment, do consider the new Discovery Sport. The new one is said to be a lot more spacious and practical than the old one and it's rivals. The last row can be flipped down to accommodate large amounts of luggage. As always with JLR, the suspension is terrific and very well suited to our Indian roads. From behind the wheel it feels like driving a huge SUV. Ease of driving and the high seating position makes this as good as the X3 to drive.
Thanks.
Thanks Tachyonites. I did do a test drive of the Discovery Sport last week and found the suspension really poor.The SE insisted it was due to that particular car having some problem, which I thought was strange given that the dealers should ensure that the test drive cars in this segment are well taken care of. Now based on your feedback, will try it again next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
The New Crysta might be a much better upgrade. You won't end up spending exorbitant amounts on its servicing or its resale value. The only downside would be the fuel tank size. Other than that, Toyotas reliability and excellent servicing will keep you happy for miles together.

The X's are great SUVs as well but now that you've mentioned the salary perspective and the uncertain times to add to that, the Innova seems like a much better option.

All the best with your decision.
Thanks Sreesh1009 for your suggestion. I will do a test drive of the new Crysta and revert on this, though am not sure if the facelift version is available with the dealers.

The question on affordability is a broader one and honestly, I havent found the right thread on this. In fact, even googling the topic hasnt resulted in any useful insights. While there are many experts who cover EMIs with respect to home loans or total EMIs, havent found any detailed coverage on car EMIs so far.
Old 16th November 2020, 12:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The question on affordability is a broader one and honestly, I havent found the right thread on this.
Hi KAY24! Sharing some useful links related to this topic:

Vitamin M - What percent of your annual income do you spend on your car?

How much do you spend on your car each month?

What Car @ What Salary ?

Financial thumb rules to follow when buying a car

How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

Hope these will help you make a decision.
self_driven is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 16:00   #14
BHPian

Thanks Self_driven, I went through these threads and they were really helpful. I really like the fact that Team-bhp forums have a wide range of unbiased views and a set of folks who are forthcoming to help others. Appreciate your efforts to share these links. Its made me decide that I would seriously consider any 50L plus car only after doing a financial planning exercise. For cars in the 20-30L bracket, would just go ahead with the purchase if the car fits my needs. Plan to update on this later.

Also, yesterday I was speaking to a friend who owns a Merc, Audi and BMW; and he quipped - "A car to fulfil your needs would be available in ~20-25L and if you spend anything more, do understand its because you want to, rather than you need to".

I just spoke to the Toyota salesperson. Key updates below:
Fortuner: He mentioned that they dont have any automatic options available in stock. The new facelift version is expected in Feb/Mar21 and the key upgrade would be the music system. So, this car is in the list only if I delay the purchase decision to next year.
Innova: The facelift version would be available for TD from early Dec though he did mention the new car delivery was expected to start from 20th Nov. He suggested that I can to a TD on the current version this weekend as according to him the driving experience would remain the same in the new version.
KAY24 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 18:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I just spoke to the Toyota salesperson. Key updates below:
Fortuner: He mentioned that they dont have any automatic options available in stock. The new facelift version is expected in Feb/Mar21 and the key upgrade would be the music system. So, this car is in the list only if I delay the purchase decision to next year.
Innova: The facelift version would be available for TD from early Dec though he did mention the new car delivery was expected to start from 20th Nov. He suggested that I can to a TD on the current version this weekend as according to him the driving experience would remain the same in the new version.
I guess both the cars are up for a face-lift. Why don't you TD both nonetheless. Also, the Fortuner might be a better upgrade if you want the same FE and range as your XUV as it has a 80l fuel tank as compared to the 55l fuel tank of the Innova. If that doesn't seem to be an issue then you can save yourself some money and get the New Crysta.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks