Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 00:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing Our Breezy Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_rojo View Post
Please provide your valuable suggestions!
Regards
My suggestions after going through your requirements are:

New - S-Cross
Used - Tata Hexa
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 03:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing Our Breezy Brezza

A used white B-Class if ingress egress is important, or a used Camry/Teana if absolute backbench comfort is required.

If you must get a new car then I suppose the Honda City fits the bill too.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th August 2021 at 03:39.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 21:28   #63
BHPian

Re: Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?

Hi Everyone,

While it’s been some time since my previous post, have continued to actively read various threads on Team BHP and learn from folks here.

We have spent an year with the X3 and apart from some minor niggles, have had a great time in both the driving seat and rear seat. In addition, the GT TSI continues to put a big smile on my face whenever I drive it.

Now, with the Covid waves hopefully receding and life getting back to normal, the cars are being used daily. During weekdays, the family usually travels in the X3 while I drive the GT TSI to work.

We have also shifted our residence and the commute time for me is 45 mins in the morning and an hour plus in the evening, subject to the whims of traffic and road diggers of Mumbai. The evening commute has been particularly energy sapping for the past 3 months, and after much deliberation, I experimented with keeping a chauffeur (have had one for the family but never one for myself) for the last couple of weeks. As I reflect this weekend, it’s been liberating to be driven around when one is pre-occupied with work. However, it’s also the first time in 9 years that I have spent time in the rear seat of GT TSI and that’s been a horrible experience – no leg room, no under thigh support, uncomfortable seats, poor visibility, cramped space and uncomfortable ride.

So, here’s my dilemma – either I go back to driving and live with energy draining weekdays, or keep the chauffeur and look for a new ride with much better rear seat comfort. I am marginally leaning towards the latter and so, have some queries:

1) I really don’t want to spend too much, given the steep EMIs of X3 and chauffeur salaries – am thinking ~10 lakh. So, what’s the best car for rear seat comfort in Mumbai city traffic and it must score high on safety.
2) Do I still hold on to the GT TSI or sell it ? Keeping it gives the optionality of driving pleasure whenever I do get the time, though I know its usage would be minimal. Selling it would increase my budget by ~5 lakh for the new car.
3) Would a new car be ideal or a good pre-owned car make more sense?
4) Body type: Have always used a hatchback or SUV – never a sedan. I don’t have a strong preference, though have been used to the high rear seats in SUVs in the past decade.
5) The frugal voice in my head says – get back to driving or at best, spend either on the chauffeur or a car EMI but not on both. May be, wait for a few months as the new normal evolves?

Well, these are just some initial thoughts- would love to hear your views please.
KAY24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 17:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY24 View Post
So, here’s my dilemma – either I go back to driving and live with energy draining weekdays, or keep the chauffeur and look for a new ride with much better rear seat comfort. I am marginally leaning towards the latter and so, have some queries:
If ultimate backseat comfort is what you require, a used Nissan Teana will suit you perfectly. I know you have expressed preference toward hatchbacks and higher seating but do try out the Nissan Teana if you get an opportunity before dismissing it. if you still want an SUV kind of vehicle (which simply will not have better interiors than a comparable sedan), a used B-Class or CRV/Outlander should do fine.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 18:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If ultimate backseat comfort is what you require, a used Nissan Teana will suit you perfectly. , a used B-Class or CRV/Outlander should do fine.
Thanks Ishaan for your suggestions. I will try to figure out if the Nissan car is available. Will also check on CRV.

I did TD an Altis today through an online dealer- their guys were good but the car didn’t seem to be well maintained. I guess pre-owned car evaluation requires a lot of effort and patience, will see how it goes.
Old 14th May 2022, 18:44   #66
BHPian

Hi All,

After some weeks of arm-chair deliberations, decided to take some test drives – all automatic top-end variants. Views below:

1.Honda City: Outstanding rear seat comfort with oodles of space, decent under-thigh support, comfortable seats, good circle-of-vision visibility and plush interiors. Initially, the ride was bumpy till we checked the tyre pressure- it was 50psi, and once we reduced it to 32psi, the ride was comfortable. Driving dynamics were reasonably good in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The real surprise was when I used paddle shifters in S mode on an open stretch, it gave me the same smile as my POLO GT TSI. The only negative was the noise of tyres grinding on the road was a few decibels more than what I would’ve liked – not sure if there is a way to dampen the sound level.

2.Skoda Kushaq: Didn’t like the driving dynamics and bumpy ride. But the shocking experience was the poor quality of air-conditioning in the car. I understand that the car was parked in the open in Mumbai summers but even after a 20 min drive, the AC was ineffective and the heat unbearable.

3.Skoda Slavia 1.5TSI: The driving dynamics were similar to my Polo GT TSI- it was fun. However, the ineffective AC and poor quality interiors don’t seem to justify the price, in my opinion. Also, when sitting on the rear seat, a key irritant was the drab look/quality of the back of the front seats.

4.Skoda Slavia 1.0 TSI: I was pleasantly surprised by the driving dynamics of this car. I actually found it better than the 1.5 in the stop-start traffic conditions. The low end seemed to be smoother and maybe, more peppy. Of course, am sure that the 1.5 would be better on highways, but for city commuting, I thought the 1.0 would be reasonably good. I thought this was the best option from Skoda, though if I would compare to the City- it is marginally inferior on rear space and suspension; and significantly inferior on plushness of interiors and reliability (possibly).

5.VW Virtus: I saw both 1.0 and 1.5 in the showroom. TDs would start on 10th June as per the SA. The exterior design is very appealing - a refined classic look and I quite liked the front interior layout. Now, it does have a higher ground clearance than Slavia and I don’t know if it would make things better or worse.

So, here’s where I stand – am not sure if I am ready to sell the Polo. However, if I were to go ahead then City seems to be the best option. A key dilemma is that does it make sense to wait for Virtus TD or it wouldn’t matter – as the cons of Slavia would reflect in Virtus as well.

Any views are welcome please.
Old 29th May 2022, 00:02   #67
BHPian

I did some TDs today:
1) Taigun 1.0: The power is adequate for city driving, a wee bit slow on pick up when compared to Polo GT but when it picks up speed- it’s sweet. The rear seat has ample space and support though the ride is a bit stiff. The TD car tyres were set to 38 psi initially but when reduced to 32psi, the ride quality was acceptable. I am almost ready to go ahead but am concerned about the AC issue. The TD car AC behaved in 3 different phases: completely ineffective, poor but acceptable, super-cool air directly in front of the blower but the cabin still not chilled. This is the only deal breaker for me. Any suggestions are welcome.
2) pre-owner Octavia: space seemed similar to Honda city, drawn in to driving harder due to the powerful engine, plush interiors. Had a minor incident with the car- as it went very slowly over a speed breaker, the bottom scraped and fuel pipe started leaking. Had to leave the vehicle on the road with the sales person. Don’t think a pre-owned car makes sense for me- just too much effort to figure out the quality. Also, if I was to go for a new Octavia, the incremental value over a Honda city doesn’t justify the additional cost.
3) VW Virtus 1.0: The SE mentioned I was the first customer to TD the vehicle. The blue colour looks superb, exterior is a classic, like the dashboard layout, driving experience was outstanding- the car handled better than Slavia, fit and finish also seem a notch above Slavia, rear seats are decent, the additional GC leads to a unique sitting height- you are a head length above other sedan occupants on the road while being a head length below other CSUV occupants, rear space is reasonable but Taigun has ~2 inches more and with a better seating position. I loved the Virtus and it’s probably the best sedan in its segment for self driving. However, am still not sure about the AC though in the evening TD it worked fine. For many buyers, this car would provide more value than Honda City. In fact, I almost fell in love with it during the TD and only later, had to think very clearly to decide with some reluctance that this one is not for me.
So, current status:
Honda City remains a contender. Taigun ticks most boxes but an ineffective AC is a deal breaker.
Any views are welcome pls.

Last edited by KAY24 : 29th May 2022 at 00:05.
Old 29th May 2022, 20:52   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a look at the S Cross too.

We've been using one as a beater in the city for the last few years and it's been a great car to be driven around in with good underthigh support and legroom.

The city otherwise seems like a good bet too for the city, provided you're satisfied with the ground clearance and lower seating.

The Taigun's best attributes are the engine and handling on offer. Though the ride quality too is good, it's a little on the stiffer side making it not that great for the potholes.

Have you experimented with EV options like Tigor or Nexon?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 23:13   #69
BHPian

Thanks lamborghini.
I haven’t tried Scross, Tigor or Nexon as I assumed that rear seat space would be limited in these cars. Will surely do a TD if that not the case.

Most Viewed