Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 14:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Bolero or Thar for Mom?

Wow, I wish I had that clarity of thought when I was deciding which car to buy. Hats off to your mom.

Will look forward to her ownership review with pics of the Thar in the stunning hills.
Old 19th November 2020, 15:10   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
As an update to the Original Post : Me and mom had a long animated discussion on the Car, and we are going to book the Thar 6 seater AX ( Soft Top Diesel MT).

I have called a friend whose brother in law works in Mahindra, to see how quickly we can get it into our garage, will keep you all posted with further details as and when the process moves forward.
Awesome and good luck. Mahindra will do well to get her a vehicle asap. 60 year young lady doing public service for kids in a village in the hills - heck you dont get better brand equity and PR than that.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 18:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
5. She wants a soft top because the air is much cleaner in the hills and she wants to keep the roof off, also as per her that's what the Jeep experience is all about anyway.
Such a clear set of requirements. Just one thing - be doubly sure of the soft top. In the hills, the elements are in full force (snow, rain, cold) and it may be better to have a hard top. The windows can still open for the fresh air to come in.
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 18:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just when I thought it’s such an interesting title and when I read through the posts today , it just got better with a super clear requirement of an AX and manual ( what a way to feel connected to a car ).

Wishing the OP’s mom the very best. Clearly a fan already.
Old 20th November 2020, 08:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
we are going to book the Thar 6 seater AX ( Soft Top Diesel MT).
I guess you would have realized this if already spoke to your friend or a dealer, but AX soft top is only available in red or black colors and top is not easily removable. Also, the variant not in manufacturing currently but maybe your situation is different that your friend is within mahindra.

If you want brown color and easily removable convertible top, consider upgrading to AX(O). It comes without all the gizmos in LX. You can swap the rear forward seats with side bench seats in aftermarket. I am sure you will find an AX owner willing to take your rear bucket seats for their side bench seats.

Good luck!!
Old 20th November 2020, 09:37   #36
BHPian

Your Mom should be part of team-bhp. Bhpians would love to know her experience with Thar. Happy birthday in advance to your Mom and hopefully the Thar gets delivered as early as possible. If she likes to drive manual, did you suggest Harrier , may be she will like it
rahulskumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... she hates automatics and doesn't feel connected to the car at all.
...She wants a soft top because the air is much cleaner in the hills and she wants to keep the roof off, also as per her that's what the Jeep experience is all about anyway.
My humble birthday wishes to a true Team BHPian mother, and for a couple of lakh KMs on her new Thar!

I hope I'll get seek her blessings someday, when we meet up for a Thar drive. You sir, are one lucky bloke!

Great choice and good reasoning. All the best!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:45   #38
BHPian

Try Isuzu S Cab, check whether it could be registered as a Private vehicle. RTO have started to register it as a private vehicle (white board) here at Tamil Nadu. At my apartment, a gentleman who works with media has bought that and registered it for own use. You could do some simple mods, will look decent. Now after BS6 the exshowroom works to be 10.xx laks.
https://www.isuzu.in/product/isuzu-d-max-s-cab/
Check it out.
architect_santo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Mom wants another Mahindra Car, but not a Scorpio again, she has also rejected the idea of owning either of the XUV brothers or their little cousin the KUV.
Your Mom is pretty cool!

If the XUVs are out of question, and IMHO the KUV100 was a bad execution, then your Mom should choose the new Thar 2020 over the Bolero BS6.

I agree the Bolero BS6 is by far the best Bolero yet with practical decent seating for 4+1 (considering the 2 rear jump seats as 1 ), the ergonomics are a slight miss and depends on the driver, and the Bolero now doesn't have a 4x4 on sale (don't know if one is available for Govt. agencies). That said, test drive a Thar 2020 and if your Mom loves it over the Bolero you should get her one with a hardtop.

I would have suggested a look at the TUV300, but the BS6 is not expected until Feb 2021.

EDIT: Your Mom loves the fresh air in the hills?! There is no better reason to get a soft-top than that! Wishing her kilometers and kilometers of fun with the Thar!

Last edited by Miel : 20th November 2020 at 10:53. Reason: Did not see the latest post from the thread starter
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:06   #40
BANNED

Quote:
This time I have a rather interesting topic on which I need your advice.

My mom is turning 60 next month, and that's a milestone indeed and I've thought of gifting her something special.
Put aside the Thar or Bolero, first tell me that where you guys get the moms like that from?

That said, Thar any day over Bolero. Since it's Dharamshala she has to visit, the 1.5 of the Bolero will feel underpowered for the long route. The road presence and more powerful motor of the Thar will be a blessing any day for her.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:12   #41
BHPian

OP has mentioned his budget approx 11.5L OTR (Thar AX variant soft top).

The Bolero B6 optional which retails around 10.5L OTR has a better feature list, more frugal, more space for People/Medical Equipment and isn't a soft top. And since is a older product its fairly free from niggles which newer Mahindra's tend to have.

If the OP can stretch to Thar LX AT Hard Top variants then its a no brainer, but for the budget of Approx 10Lakhs Bolero B6 Optional has a strong case for itself.
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:11   #42
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect_santo View Post
Try Isuzu S Cab, check whether it could be registered as a Private vehicle. RTO have started to register it as a private vehicle (white board) here at Tamil Nadu. At my apartment, a gentleman who works with media has bought that and registered it for own use. You could do some simple mods, will look decent. Now after BS6 the exshowroom works to be 10.xx laks.
https://www.isuzu.in/product/isuzu-d-max-s-cab/
Check it out.
That is a news for me! Can you share more details on registering it as a private vehicle here in TN?
Old 20th November 2020, 12:20   #43
BHPian

First of all advances wishes to you Mom . I would recommend you do a comparo between the two models or much better take her for a back to back test drives of both cars at same time so she can make which is more suitable for her needs.
As you have mentioned it will be used on village roads, I would recommend the Thar as this is a totally new product and meets all the safety norms(Maybe 3+ stars if Mahindra plans to send this to any NCAP) over bolero which has just got cosmetic upgrades till now.
Old 20th November 2020, 13:01   #44
BHPian

I would suggest the Thar any day. I think the Thar is an excellent choice over the Bolero. The Bolero would have felt even more utilitarian as she is already using a Scorpio. Kudos to your mom for being a real driving enthusiast! Reminds me of my dad (Also a doctor). He not only regularly drives his cars (A Laura TDI and an Ertiga) but also washes and polishes them himself.
BTW he is 78!
urban legend is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:21   #45
BHPian

Go for Bolero. I am guessing majority have never driven a Bolero before and that is why Thar is the number one recommendation. Bolero is a delight to drive on bad roads and on highways. Seating is very good. The parts are cheap and easily available even in interiors of the country. For her work in mountainous regions it will be better due to it being easily repairable. A good city drive also. I have extensively used Bolero in Delhi a decade back and it was my first choice while going to Haridwar, rishikesh. One of the best thing about Bolero is its torque ratio. Plus a hard top is a must for security.
Sran is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed