Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 30th November 2020, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Default Fortuner or XL6 as a reliable family car?

Ok, So I know the two cars are in entirely different segments and aren't exactly comparable however, hear me out.
So we need a larger car for our family. We currently only have Sedans(An S-500 and an accord) and a Hatchback(A honda Brio).

The requirements:
- HAS to be Automatic transmission
- HAS to be 3 row (Not looking for a 5 seater, definitely needs to be atleast a 6 seater)
- HAS to be extremely reliable
(Having driven a Mercedes S-500 for the last 7 years as my daily driver, I'm pretty tired of all the love, care and pampering that car demands. Now, in my 30s and as a father of a 1 year old, I'm looking for something that can happily take some abuse.)

Reasons I am leaning towards the XL6 currently:
- The backrow is surprisingly comfortable with enough leg room.
- Seemingly good fuel efficiency
- Low price (Thinking of going for the Zeta version and just adding the rear Camera)
- This is basically an Ertiga in a different package, and the fact that so many taxis are Ertigas, I believe that this would be an extremely reliable car.
- Pretty affordable, 13L on-road for an Automatic 6 seater that looks pretty good.

Cons:
- Just 2 airbags
- Tiny wheels

Reasons I am considering the Fortuner:
- Huge, Solid Road presence - has always been a car I've wanted.
- A couple of my friends have fortuners and I just love how they're always willing for long drives. Those cars literally never break down.
- While it is more expensive, a fortuner will easily last 15 years in my family. Heck, my Honda Brio is 8 years old and drives like almost brand new even today.

While the Fortuner is a lot more expensive, I could stretch my budget for it, but then again, I want to get a car in the next month or so and the fortuner is coming out with a facelift, so might not be the best time to get a fortuner.
Secondly, if I do go with an XL6 right now, we'll just get a fortuner when it's time to get rid of one of our other cars.

Reasons other cars were considered and rejected:
- The Endeavour's BS6 engine comes only in 2.0 litre displacement so it completely turned my younger brother off. I did argue that it puts out just 10-15% less power than the older3.2 L variant but well, he eventually convinced me that the fortuner was anyways more preferable than the Endeavour.
- MG Hector Plus doesn't have the history of reliability like the Fortuner and Endeavour
- Innova Crysta would be somewhere mid-way budget wise between the fortuner and XL6 but the XL6 is almost an Innova in terms of reliability and feel of the car.

Ofcourse, as you might have realized, I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to cars as most of the members here. So correct me where my reasoning may be wrong and PLEASE PLEASE give me your opinion and recommendations and help me make a solid informed decision.
dumdum is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:51   #2
BHPian

Default re: Fortuner or XL6 as a reliable family car?

HI, Since your budget can be stretched and you also mention you would anyways go for Fortuner, I would say it is Fortuner.
However, you say you want a car next month and anyways when you replace one other in your stable later, you could then go for Fortuner, then yes you may choose an alternative. But for this alternative, I would recommend Innova Crysta and not XL6. I own Crysta and I simply love its ride and traditional design & it is extremely reliable.
cs_rajesh is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If I were you, I would close my eyes and pick the Crysta over XL6 for the kind of requirements you have.

This is purely because you already have a budget for Fortuner and hence Innova Crysta certainly will be affordable.

The XL6 is definitely a good product but within its own segment. In fact, as you mentioned the 3rd row or even the captain seats in the XL6 are well laid and comfortable but still I will pick the Innova Crysta.
paragsachania is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 15:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
- Pretty affordable, 13L on-road for an Automatic 6 seater that looks pretty good.

Cons:
- Just 2 airbags
- Tiny wheels

- Innova Crysta would be somewhere mid-way budget wise between the fortuner and XL6 but the XL6 is almost an Innova in terms of reliability and feel of the car.
Since you are looking for an Automatic in specific, the one on the XL6 is not my liking since its an age old 4 speed box. Not that the Crysta has a futuristic AT(when you compare it with a Mercedes Benz) but at least offers a good selection of ratios and good power on tap all the time irrespective of the speed. The only grouse with the Crysta is that the lower end variants are stripped of many features and if you buy it would be the Z AT. Hence like Parag said, if you really have the budget for a Fortuner and also have a bigger family where multiple people drive the car, then someone will always find the Crysta useful and if and when you plan to sell it, you will hardly lose money

If the XL6 is introduced with a diesel AT, or a higher powered Petrol AT with better ratios, then nothing like it. It has good potential to eat up a big chunk of the Innova Crysta sales. But as it is now, these two products have good differentiation and you can easily align your needs with it.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2020 at 05:19. Reason: T-Fort - Fortuner
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

What is your requirement? Comfort or 4x4 capabilities+ Road presence? Fortuner for latter and Crysta for comfort. I see you are unhappy with lack of power in Endeavour, you will feel this even more in XL6.
PrideRed is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortuner is an SUV and it pains me to see people consider it and buy it to ferry people around. The seat comfort is horrible, you sit with your legs raised up, ride is extremely bouncy to name a few.

My suggestion would be the XL6 or the Innova depending upon your liking. Alternatively, you can try the Kia Carnival. It is more feature loaded with the whole design and intent towards passenger comfort. At the same time, it would be exclusive. And Kia should be as reliable as others.
drmohitg is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 17:17   #7
BHPian

I might suggest going with either the Ertiga petrol automatic or the XL6 petrol automatic.
It might not give you any driving pleasure (dated four speed automatic), but, it sure would be good enough for a daily driver.

Reasons to choose the Ertiga:
If you are looking for flexibility, the Ertiga's seats would fold out fully and provide you a lot more room in case you need to pack a lot of luggage.
The seats also fold up in 60:40 configuration, giving you more flexibility with regard to moving people or carrying luggage.

Reasons to choose the XL6:
The XL6's second row seats won't fold out fully, but, if you expect to be chauffeur driven, the captain seats in the second row might offer you/your family some additional comfort.
You get cruise control.
You get LED head-lights (improved reliability over the halogen head lights of the Ertiga).

As you have already mentioned, you can get the Fortuner later when you replace one of your other cars.
Hope this helps.
FlashMustang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 19:35   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Fortuner or XL6 as a reliable family car?

Going by your post, the Fortuner is clearly pulling the strings to your heart. IMHO, one must listen to the heart as well as the head when buying a car - both are equally important (although I'm more of a heart over head guy). If you love it, go for the Fortuner.

Personally though, if I was in your shoes, I would get the Kia Carnival (top choice - unbelievable luxury) or an Innova AT. An Innova will happily sit besides an S-Class in the same garage, but not an XL6. You guys will get bored of it pretty soon.

Take the Carnival for a long drive. I had it for 3 months during the lockdown. Whoever saw it / drove it fell in love with it...kids, senior citizens and everyone in between.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 19:43   #9
BHPian

Go for the Crysta eyes closed. You want reliability and nothing beats a Toyota in that, sometimes even Maruti. You also get the added benefit of a car which is more luxurious and offers much more in terms of features and safety than the XL6. It's a half-way point between the XL6 & Fortuner and should be a solid choice for the 15 years you intend to keep your car.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:12   #10
BHPian

My suggestions in order of preference:

1. Carnival: Better ride quality and overall premium experience than fortuner, innova and xl6. This should be perfect car to share the garage with S class. Its reliable also.

2. Innova Crysta Z AT: second best ride quality next to carnival, should be reliable for 15 years of intended usage and will take abuse easily.

3. Fortuner: I wont recommend this for your intended usage but since you like it, it can serve the purpose; but wont be comfortable enough for its asking price.

4. XL6: the cheapest option here but since you have the budget and since you are used to luxury cars then its a misfit for your garage i believe.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 30th November 2020 at 20:14.
46TheDoctor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 21:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

XL6 vs Fortuner.
Easy.
Go for the middle ground.

Innova Crysta. Best of both the worlds.

But then, you have your eyes pretty much fixed on the Fortuner.

Don't know which of your cars is going to be sold off.
If it is the Brio, buy the XL6.
5+ seats and could be used as a beater too, when the Fortuner is bought.

But if it is one of the sedans, then pretty tough scenario.
The XL6 may seem underwhelming as a family car, going by the rest of the garage.
And the Innova would be the best choice, but that would mean the planned Fortuner purchase would make less sense.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 22:08   #12
BHPian

XL6 and Fortuner are 2 extreme choices. Keeping in mind your current garage, the XL6 is a misfit and you could get bored with it too soon, specially when you also have Brio as a city/beater car. I recommend either Fortuner or Innova Crysta AT as a single car that fulfills your current need + future replacement whenever you sell one of your existing cars. If I were you, I would go with Crysta ZX AT.
Old 1st December 2020, 10:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why are you not considering the Marazzo. Its an Ertiga with with much better safety and engine!
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 11:15   #14
BHPian

I would’ve suggested the Innova Crysta over the XL6 and Marazzo to anyone else, but post realising that you’ve got the S500 as its garage-mate, I have to tell you that the Kia Carnival should be your choice. It’s a perfect car if you are used to the S Class level luxury.

BTW, you need a 6 Seater only right? It would help if you specify your requirements further.
EightSix is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 11:23   #15
BHPian

I would recommend the Innova or the Fortuner.

If you are looking for some butch-looking armor protected vehicle, then Fortuner is the right choice for you. If you are majorly looking for a comfortable car for highway journeys, then Innova would do just great. XL6 has a prehistoric 4 speed AT gearbox and since your major requirement is an automatic gearbox, I would suggest you to avoid the XL6.
As you mentioned that the new Endeavour doesn't have that much power as the older one, do see the power figures of the XL6 (103HP).
After reading your thread, I think your heart is inclined towards getting a Fortuner. If you can wait for a few months, do try out the Facelift as it is said to have more features and looks better IMO.
Verdict:
1) Efficient highway cruiser - Innova
2) Immense road presence - Fortuner.
Thanks and Happy hunting.
Tachyonites is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed