Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
MG Gloster 20 5.33%
Toyota Fortuner 130 34.67%
Ford Endeavour 204 54.40%
Mahindra Alturas G4 15 4.00%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 1.60%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Gloster vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour vs others

I have voted for the Ford Endeavour.

In terms of reliability and resale, the Toyota Fortuner is the winner because of obvious reasons.

The Gloster is new breed, but MG is relatively unknown in the Indian market. A company doing well abroad may not necessarily do well in India. Besides long term reliability is still a question mark.

The Alturas is out of the equation for me.

For me the overall package is the Ford Endeavour which has everything in it, although there are negative points.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Fortuner. There is no doubt that Endeavour is a better car. But, since I have already been burned by Chevrolet leaving India, I am not trusting an American multinational again. And all the talks about Ford's re-strategizing and partnerships with M&M does not inspire confidence.

Since the partnership between M&M and Ssangyong is also not going well, it will be a big risk to put money on Alturas now. I foresee M&M discontinuing Alturas and placing the next-gen Scorpio in 20-30 lakh space.

About the Gloster, I don't like MG. I have nothing against chinese companies and use chinese products if they provide a better alternative. But I find MG a bit extreme with their rebranding and social media bullying tactics. No multinational company can be ethical, but I have found MG to be a bit more extreme compared to other companies.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 3rd December 2020 at 09:42.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:32   #18
BHPian

Voted for Other.

Fortuner is too expensive for what it offers in terms of performance and power. Both Toyota and Ford lose out on my vote since they haven't really put their best foot forward here in India.
The Endeavour with its 3.2 L beast was my favorite but not this 2.0 L which at best qualifies it as overweight, underpowered (for me..no offence meant to friends that have one)
Gloster is a terrific package marred by manufacturer's perceived image and horrible driving dynamics (engine and box tuning)
Alturas? What's that?
Tiguan All Space and the anticipated Kodiaq are petrol engines and not really torque monsters but in terms of package, they seem ok. What's not ok is the after sales experience and spares

So then, what should I buy? No options really then and I'm not sure how many of my kind are on the market..
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:23   #19
BHPian

At this price point, my first preference would be D2 segment sedans Or a luxurious people mover like the kia carnival. However, if I am forced to buy an suv of this segment, it will be either the kodiaq Or the tiguan all space, both in the 2.0 tsi. I would have loved these cars with 2.0 tdi with 190/400 state of tune but even the 2.0 tsi is impressive. Next in line would be the fortuner. If however Toyota launches the facelift with proposed 200/500 state, of tune, that would be an irresistible package. But can't expect sane pricing from toyota.
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
Voted for Other.

Fortuner is too expensive for what it offers in terms of performance and power. Both Toyota and Ford lose out on my vote since they haven't really put their best foot forward here in India.
The Endeavour with its 3.2 L beast was my favorite but not this 2.0 L which at best qualifies it as overweight, underpowered (for me..no offence meant to friends that have one)
Gloster is a terrific package marred by manufacturer's perceived image and horrible driving dynamics (engine and box tuning)
Alturas? What's that?
Tiguan All Space and the anticipated Kodiaq are petrol engines and not really torque monsters but in terms of package, they seem ok. What's not ok is the after sales experience and spares

So then, what should I buy? No options really then and I'm not sure how many of my kind are on the market..
+1 on this. Both the Ford and Toyota offerings are expensive and the with the top ends on both approaching >40L it will be tough to justify especially to my better half

Gloster and Alturas are a blip on the radar and I doubt if either of them will be on the scene 5 to 10 years from now.

Tiguan and Kodiaq don't have the ruggedness or appeal that a true SUV should.

Now, if Tata pulls a rabbit out of the hat and gives us a Hexa 4x4 AT at ~ 25L then I am sold.

Or then maybe, I'll just get a Thar. Have it remapped, new shoes and off we go.
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Don't have the wallet for any of the said vehicles as they priced at the higher end of market. The one to go would definitely be the Toyota, a no brainer for me. Very few things come close to the reliability of the Toyota. Never sat in one so don't really know about ride quality etc but the interior all seems good and the Fortuner itself has become a mini-brand name for Toyota and an aspiring vehicle among the more common people. That being said all these vehicles are totally impractible for crowded cities like Mumbai and would be at best the second long hauler/weekender car for most people rather than a daily driver.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd December 2020 at 11:14.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I had the money I would go for the Fortuner OR as a dark-horse, the Isuzu MUX whenever it comes in BS6 avatar. True blue SUV, they are, not glorified iPads as others have put it.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:54   #23
BHPian

Voted for the Ford Endeavour, my pick would be the entry level Titanium variant that I consider to be the most VFM offering and almost 10% cheaper than the equivalent Toyota. Better overall quality, feels built to last and worth the price. I don't fancy the panaromic sun roof but will retrofit the front parking sensors, replace manual IRVM to auto and then all set! Concerns: after sales when it moves to Mahindra. Will the car become cheaper when Mahindra takes over the factory ops and / or will the 200 BHP / 500 NM version coming fairly soon?

Fortuner - fit & finish, look & feel leaves a lot to be desired for a 4 million rupee car. Will pick it if the last two seats, after sales service and resale were priority

Alturas - is a 5 seater and the looks are a bit odd, but otherwise brilliant value, service is either a hit or a miss depending on your local dealer

Gloster - Too much of bling for my taste, not sure it is built to last, concerned about the geo political tensions and future support after spending 4 million rupees
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:23   #24
BHPian

My pick from this lot would be the Ford Endeavour. Although, on specs, the 2.0 engine is underwhelming vs. the Fortuner and Gloster, it does seem adequate. Really miss the earlier 3.2. Apart from that, it feels like the most well rounded car. I so wish Ford brings the 2.0 twin turbo to India soon.

My second choice would be the Alturas G4. Had test driven the car and came back mighty impressed.

Meanwhile, at this price point I think the Fortuner is just not worth the money. It feels crude, terribly lacks features and cars costing half the money (Creta, Seltos etc) have more sorted road manners.

As far as the Gloster is concerned, I have not driven it yet. But reading from the reviews, I would not put my money on it given just this - "Engine and gearbox tuning are shockingly terrible inside town. Turbo lag and the gearbox's reluctance to downshift make things awful in city traffic". The engine and gear box are the heart of the matter in any car. I am okay if the manufacturer skimps on a few features, but just cannot compromise on this aspect.
anshu1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:36   #25
BHPian

Voted for Endeavour. For me, Endeavour > Fortuner >>>>> MG.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:44   #26
BANNED

Voted for the Fortuner!

Why? Had this poll been created in the BS4 era, my pick would definitely have been the Endeavour cause of its 3.2 litre engine. Even if Ford offers a twenty speed gearbox, I would still not buy the Endeavour until the re-introduce the 3.2 litre mil or even the bi-turbo engine would do. Right now, The Fortuner feels the best in this comparison and for me, both MG and Alturas G4 would not be considered at all if I have to spend 40 Lakhs on a car.
So yes, the Fortuner it is then.
Thanks.
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:45   #27

My vote is for the Endeavour. Only wish that they still had the 3.2 L. Or bring in the Twin Turbo version.
Old 4th December 2020, 09:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Voted Fortuner. While the Toyota Fanboy in me appreciciates and admits that the Endeavour beats the Fortuner in some areas, the difference is not night & day. Mechanical simplicity, reliability, access to service, and great resale value means it is the Fortuner over the Endy for me.

I think all enthusiasts miss the old 3.2 5 cylinder diesel that was offered by Ford.

I maybe a Toyota fanboy, but I'd recommend the Honda City over the Yaris 9/10 times.
Old 4th December 2020, 12:17   #29
BHPian

My Vote would be for the Endeavour, I find myself drooling whenever I see one on the road. If I had 40 Lakhs to spare today, this would be the car in my garage.
Old 4th December 2020, 14:59   #30
BHPian

Even after the engine reduction from 3.2 to 2.0, i voted for the Endeavour. Gloster is just big, the Engine+tranny combo seems disappointing (also not a fan of the gizmos). TFort is a bit too long in the tooth now. Am waiting for the facelift (and recommend having the poll post the facelift launch). Endeavour balances heart & mind. Looks suttle, is big, and for 40 + big ones, I would buy one in black rather than any other cars here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks