Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
MG Gloster 20 5.33%
Toyota Fortuner 130 34.67%
Ford Endeavour 204 54.40%
Mahindra Alturas G4 15 4.00%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 1.60%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 17:03   #31
BHPian

Re: MG Gloster vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour vs others

I voted for others, The Tiguan is my pick in this segment. I agree that it doesn't have a torquey diesel powertrain like the others here, but the 2.0 TSI + DSG combination seems absolutely brilliant, coupled with VW's timeless design and build quality. It may not be capable off-road either, but I don't think the majority of buyers in this segment would take their SUV. Being a monocoque amongst body on frame SUVs can be seen as a advantage or disadvantage based on consumer requirement.
Old 4th December 2020, 18:31   #32
BHPian

Ford Endeavour would ideally have been my pick of choice if not for its 2L engine which is just about adequate and a far cry from previous 3.2L engine. I own that car and there's a popular saying that Endeavour 3.2L drives like a 1 Crore SUV, and its not too far from the truth, that is how good the previous Endeavour was with its timeless macho looks, features, cabin quality, high speed manners, decent handling in comparison to other SUVs of same segment etc.

Fortuner to me now looks and feel dated, MG Gloster and Alturas have love or hate designs, I still absolutely love the way the current Endeavour looks especially in "All Black Edition" and the way it rides and still feel like a million bucks. I still have hesitantly voted for Ford Endeavour as my current pick out of the lot!
ashish22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:47   #33
BHPian

I for some reason can't vote on this poll. But my pick would be the Endeavour or the Kodiaq. I have driven both the SUVs, Kodiaq is simply awesome. Hope the BS6 Kodiaq is introduced soon. Only issue is that it will be a fuel guzzler in it's petrol avatar.
Old 4th December 2020, 21:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Endeavour for me. The Gloster and Alturas, although great products were never in contention for me. I've always loved the Fortuner, but in it's current Avatar, it feels very utilitarian (no offense to Fortuner owners) when compared to the Endy.

The Endeavour beats the Fortuner in every aspect except reliability I feel.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see that Endeavour leads the poll despite a smaller engine! Goes on to show that a well-rounded product is what the market wants - some takeaways for Toyota there, for sure.

By the way, the Gloster has taken the premium full-size SUV market by storm - refer to these sales numbers from November (source: Rushlane):

MG Gloster vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour vs others-suv-sales.jpg

While the dip in Fortuner numbers can be attributed to the upcoming facelift launch, Endeavour numbers are quite stable and Gloster is breathing down the necks of both! Good for us as customers, I'd say
Old 5th December 2020, 23:38   #36
BHPian

Voted for the Fortuner! Indestructible reliability of the Toyota all the way. As most of us agree here, had it been the 3.2 Endeavour I would have voted for it over the Fortuner.
Old 7th December 2020, 00:38   #37
BHPian

Fortuner would be my choice followed by Endeavour, would never opt Gloster or Aluturas when shelling out big money. Never heard anything good about Ssangyong Rexton (which was sold and serviced by Mahindra), recently seen it in the used car market for very low prices; the Alturas is nothing but the new Rexton, but this time in the Mahindra's badge.

Guess the upcoming Mahindra XUV 500 would further reduce the non existent sale of Alturas. Regarding MG Gloster, as its relatively unknown brand, don't know their commitment towards India and the potential niggles.
Old 7th December 2020, 08:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

The downsized engine notwithstanding, the Endeavour would be my pick of the lot, followed by the Fortuner in 2nd place. The Ford can do most things the Thar does, in much better comfort. The various terrain modes on the Ford actually work. There is no real need to engage 4L for mild offroading. The water wading capacity and the stability of the Ford when one wheel is airborne is right up there.
Old 7th December 2020, 12:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quick comparison between the Endeavour and the Gloster.

MG Gloster vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour vs others-700.jpeg

Source: https://images.maxabout.com/misc/inf...mg-gloster-4x4
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
By the way, the Gloster has taken the premium full-size SUV market by storm - refer to these sales numbers from November (source: Rushlane):

Attachment 2089607
Endeavour numbers are quite stable and Gloster is breathing down the necks of both! Good for us as customers, I'd say
This does not surprise me actually. A forum like ours which has a higher concentration of outright enthusiasts is likely to be less tolerant of aspects like a poor engine/ gearbox combination. But for the vast majority of urban SUV owners who are chauffeur driven, don't plan to offroad, might to long distance touring occassionally perhaps, the Gloster makes a lot of sense. Uber luxurious interiors otherwise only available in sedans at that price, uber comfortable back seat and captains chairs which are only otherwise available in a Carnival and the space to actually travel with the full family AND luggage too.

On pricing too, I feel the top of line Gloster should not be compared to the Fortuner / Endeavour as it prices in the ADAC features which neither of the other two have. If you take the second from top MG variant, it has everything and more that the other two offer, at a marginally lower price point. (For instance, Toyota gives paddle shifters while Endeavour gives pano sunroof. The MG gives both). It has a few big misses specifically in the driver / driving department (protruding lower back in driver seat and bad engine / tranny combination). But for the vast number of predominantly chauffeur driven urban customers, those are easy to overlook.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This does not surprise me actually. A forum like ours which has a higher concentration of outright enthusiasts is likely to be less tolerant of aspects like a poor engine/ gearbox combination. But for the vast majority of urban SUV owners who are chauffeur driven, don't plan to offroad, might to long distance touring occassionally perhaps, the Gloster makes a lot of sense.
Completely agree with that. And I do hope that this brings about a much-needed cost rationalization in this segment!
Old 7th December 2020, 12:58   #42
BHPian

It’s Ford Endeavour without a doubt ! Toyota should give Fortuner a thorough update for its interiors to make it much more desirable also the feature list.
Going for Gloster is like pissing on pants , it’s sure the car will soon join the leagues of Rexton,Trailblazer and MUX .

Few hardcore off-roading skills shown by Endeavour which went viral in Kerala along with the Gloster controversy.

TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 17:58   #43
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
And I do hope that this brings about a much-needed cost rationalization in this segment!
This is wishful thinking, the Innova and Fortuner are content with demanding that extra 'Toyota' premium. The endeavour is better but they cut down their engine. Any cost rationalization will be at the cost of engine/features which just affects the quality of the product.
Old 29th December 2020, 20:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Quick comparison between the Endeavour and the Gloster.
Judging purely by the specifications, I'd give the Gloster the advantage over the Endeavour, but a test ride of both these vehicles over the last weekend proved me wrong.

Not only does the Gloster look and feel like a boat, it drives like one too. Its steering is light, but the Endeavour's steering has oodles of feedback. The Endeavour is much quicker to respond and I now understand what people mean by calling it a driver's SUV. The Gloster's build quality is also not up to the Endeavour's standard.

The Gloster's Achilles Heel is in its all-touch controls. What happens if the touch screen malfunctions? Would one have to resort to voice commands for basic functions like turning the AC up?

The only area the Gloster scores is in the interior space it offers.

If only Ford comes up with a 200 bhp engine for the Endeavour, it'll have a sureshot winner on its hands.
SgtRepeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 21:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
If only Ford comes up with a 200 bhp engine for the Endeavour, it'll have a sureshot winner on its hands.
That is unlikely. It'll make it's way into the next gen Endeavour.

That said, the current engine is quite sprightly and coupled with that gem of a gearbox, has enough oomph, unless one wants to drag race at traffic lights.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks