Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 23:57   #16
BHPian

Go for tavera

Do consider tavera seriously, it is equally good. Its diesel engine is very good, excellent gearbox, good suspension, good turning radius, cheap parts, low maintenance etc makes it a good chice. Take a test drive and search the web.

And also another thing is that it is an ISUZU 'panther' labelled as a chevorlet. Isuzu makes the best diesel engines in japan.

Last edited by swathyd : 14th April 2007 at 00:00. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 13th April 2007, 23:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

Kompressor, probably a lill' late here.
The scorpio would have been a good choice if comfort was not on the priority list, especially carryin 7 adults in comfort is not what a scorpio can do.
I own a 7 seater scorpio, and the couple of times we've had 7 people in the car hardly anybody is happy.
Besides, the seats itself do not give that comforting feeling apart from the kinda cramped second row.
The ideal choice for you would have been the innova, since you detest the image, the safari seems like a great option.

Negative for the safari would be in the form of fater depreciation and more niggles when compared to the innova, maybe sluightly more than the scorpio too. But then the world is never a perfect place to be in.

So if its comfort and image, get the safari, comfort and practicality coupled with toyota's legendary reliability but at the loss of image, get the innova, image and a great engine but not as comforatble as the previous two, get the scorpio.

Btw, since you asked about the rental services in Ludhiana, i could source a couple of privateer numbers for you if you were serious, drop me a pm if required.

manson.
Old 14th April 2007, 00:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well as Innova is ruled out due to the image factor the next choice is Safari - Rule the Road or should i say OFFROAD and as per a Team BHPian "WideLoad Keep Distance"

Well jokes apart the next best thing to Innova is Safari DICOR. Even Scorpio is equally good as Safari but Safari gives the look of the real SUV and IMHO has better image than Scorpio. Scorpio still have problem with suspension. So go ahead with Safari. A lot of team BHPians have bought Safari in past 3 months.

1. Suman
2. Drifter
(Congrats both of you. I forgot to congratulate. Busy with Exams i guess )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...x2-300kms.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...d-20000km.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ed-5500km.html

And some are own their way to just finalize the deal
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ce-needed.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...afari-tdi.html

Hope it helps.

I am not saying Scorpio is a Bad car it's as good as Safari but every one has their own opinion and every car have it's Pros. and Cons. If you'r heart is set on Scorpio then go ahead it's a good SUV.

Last edited by abhibh : 14th April 2007 at 00:09.
Old 14th April 2007, 00:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
I've just googled images of the toyota innova. Not oo impressed to be honest. In the uk, cars like the innova (mpv's) are seen as cars for mums which are filled with children and shopping bags.
What do you value more? Looks or Comfort? That should be the deciding point since the Innova beats the Scorpio on the following fields hands down:

Ride
Handling
Service
Reliability
Comfort
Fit & Finish
Build Quality
NVH

And sadly this ain't the UK so there's no such thing as a Soccer Mom van!! Methinks you would be very very happy with the 7-seater (2 buckets up front & 2 benches in the rear) Innova if you can live with the looks.

Last edited by iraghava : 14th April 2007 at 00:39.
Old 14th April 2007, 00:47   #20

Hi manson. Thanks for the info on the scorpio. Maybe a little too cramped then?
You mentioned depreciation for the safari. High depreciation is usually an indication of poor reliability, performance and image. Is the safari less reliable than a scorpio?
Old 14th April 2007, 00:54   #21

it seems most people on this board like the safari above the scorpio. Well, easiest thing to do will be to test them both on my next trip. I'll keep you guys informed of progress. Might even test drive the innova (though i'll be wearing sunglasses to hide my identity
Old 14th April 2007, 01:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What do you value more? Looks or Comfort? That should be the deciding point since the Innova beats the Scorpio on the following fields hands down:

Ride
Handling
Service
Reliability
Comfort
Fit & Finish
Build Quality
NVH

And sadly this ain't the UK so there's no such thing as a Soccer Mom van!! Methinks you would be very very happy with the 7-seater (2 buckets up front & 2 benches in the rear) Innova if you can live with the looks.
It seems that generally people prefer the safari over the scorpio. Will the safari be less cramped than the scorpio? I'll need to test drive both on my next visit and maybe the innova too (though i'll make sure it has tinted windows so no one will recognise me
Old 14th April 2007, 01:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ride
Handling
Service
Reliability
Comfort
Fit & Finish
Build Quality
NVH
Foremost and important "Safety". Scorpio doesn't offer ABS / Aibags, the Innova does and this should be a deciding factor when you consider buying it as a family touring vehicle.
Old 14th April 2007, 02:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Foremost and important "Safety". Scorpio doesn't offer ABS / Aibags, the Innova does and this should be a deciding factor when you consider buying it as a family touring vehicle.
Very True Kiran but I didn't mention it because Komp didn't want to spend more than 9 Lakhs on the new car. The V-spec Innova with Airbags & ABS is over 11 Lakhs.
Old 14th April 2007, 02:20   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very True Kiran but I didn't mention it because Komp didn't want to spend more than 9 Lakhs on the new car. The V-spec Innova with Airbags & ABS is over 11 Lakhs.
Oops I didn't read that. But even without ABS and airbags, the Innova offers better safety than the Scorpio. Better road grip is an added advantage in the Innova. The petrol variant is nice and powerful.
Old 14th April 2007, 04:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Don't even consider the Scorpio. Drive one and you will know why. Logically, your choice should be the Innova. But if you want to scare the crap out of people, nothing like a Safari. The Scorpio looks none too impressive standing next to a Safari.
Old 14th April 2007, 12:56   #27
BHPian

okay i know i'm late as ever here but here goes my penny's worth:
1.if you need the only car three times a year,try and get hold of a good taxi/rental service.with a little homework i'm positive you can get a few.newer cars with sensible drivers are not so rare a commodity here.
2.innova is the most practical and safest choice for you if you still want to buy.great VFM.she doesnt look so bad either.beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder though.
but do want to be seen around town driving a large long van?hehehe....
3.if you want to throw some muscle on the highway and also impress your local 'pind' folk safari is the way to go.
though sadly your family may have to play musical chairs for handling the drive.the jump seats seem designed for people with stunted growth,dwarfs,elves and goblins.for the rest of us :musical chairs.play on!
4.the scorpio:i'll reserve that for later.my tummy's kinda churning right now....
Old 14th April 2007, 16:11   #28
BHPian

i vote for innova too
Old 14th April 2007, 17:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
okay i know i'm late as ever here but here goes my penny's worth:
1.if you need the only car three times a year,try and get hold of a good taxi/rental service.with a little homework i'm positive you can get a few.newer cars with sensible drivers are not so rare a commodity here.
2.innova is the most practical and safest choice for you if you still want to buy.great VFM.she doesnt look so bad either.beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder though.
but do want to be seen around town driving a large long van?hehehe....
3.if you want to throw some muscle on the highway and also impress your local 'pind' folk safari is the way to go.
though sadly your family may have to play musical chairs for handling the drive.the jump seats seem designed for people with stunted growth,dwarfs,elves and goblins.for the rest of us :musical chairs.play on!
4.the scorpio:i'll reserve that for later.my tummy's kinda churning right now....
Well thought out points. Thanks.
1. The rental option on paper is ideal however I think its a no go. On my last trip i used nearly a dozen different drivers and all were white knuckle drivers i.e. really scary. They all drove traveras' which had poor ride especially the bumpy rear benches.
2. The innova has the image problem, but most cars can look nice in black and its seems to tick most boxes.
3. I've seen pictures of the safari and it seems okay. However is it true that the design is over 8 years old? If true, that is very dated. BTW, i'm not sure my ludhiana mates would enjoy being labelled "pind" folk (even though they would be impressed) lol...
4. I think manson mentioned the cramped interior of the scorpio for 7 adults. I'm only 5ft 9 so not dwarf sized...just. I often get motion sickness so maybe a scorpio is out... Shame, it looks the business.

To everyone. How is the secondhand car industry in india. Is it possible to get a 1-2 year old honda crv, tuscon or ford endeavour for 9 lakhs?
Old 14th April 2007, 18:42   #30
BHPian

Probably Scorpio will be best for you.

But as others say, I feel rental car will serve your purpose best! Otherwise, you need to ensure that the car won't stand at storage for months!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks