Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2007, 19:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
To everyone. How is the secondhand car industry in india. Is it possible to get a 1-2 year old honda crv, tuscon or ford endeavour for 9 lakhs?
There is a pretty good supply of high end used cars in Delhi. If you want to seat 7, forget the CRV and Tucson. Look for used Endys, Pajeros, Prados and hi mileage full size Landcruisers. Since you are not putting a lot of miles in a year, it might work just fine for you.

You can always bring spare parts down from UK to keep your service bills low.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th April 2007 at 19:13.
Old 16th April 2007, 05:40   #32
BHPian

go for the innova or the tavera. depending on ure budget, looks like both these bad bois fit in. take a test drive on both of these and figure out which one had better grip and road presence since ure gonna be on the highway more than the city. good luck !!
Old 16th April 2007, 10:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I therefore stand corrected, image is important and suv's look the business. Which is the best for upto 9 lakhs?

So fellas, which suv?
OK...
You are not gonna believe this but i spent 7 months of my time looking around for a SUV before i finalised. 7 months in a stinking dirty indicab

here are a few points(main) that i noticed

1. Qualis -- dont even think about going there
2. Scorpio - Nice vehicle.. engine not that responsive, back seats will kill your back on a long drive..
3. Scorpio -- Suspension not good.. lot of body roll
4. Scorpio -- Looks like a jeep not an SUV

What i decided and finally bought was the Safari Dicor.
Had a few initial glitches but were rectified in the first service itself.
have no other problems till date.

Pics are in my BHP garage.have a look and decide.

Godfather
Old 16th April 2007, 23:06   #34
BHPian

Another choice should be judo/ gama by force motors ?
Old 16th April 2007, 23:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Another choice should be judo/ gama by force motors ?
I don't think they will meet his comfort criterion!!
Old 16th April 2007, 23:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

The Safari IMO is a better cruiser than the Innova. Once around 100 kmph mark the Innova I test drove was quite sluggish to get to 120 however the Safari Dicor was more eager at the same point.

Now it could be that the Innova test car being an old car with 40000 kms on it could have been abused so much that it had lost some of its juice. But I was having to push the Innova against the Safari Dicor being happily there.

Beyond 3500 rpm the Innova D was not climbing up eagerly. Now is that normal for the Innova (or is it just the one example that I drove)?
Old 17th April 2007, 09:50   #37
BHPian

for comfort+space forget scorpio.

innova is most reliable, but road presence+comfort+easy cruise=safari nothing else.

go for dicor.
Old 17th April 2007, 13:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

7 people? Scorpio is out. It can't seat 5 in comfort, let alone seven, if the people in question are 6 footers.
So that leaves you with Safari and Innova.
Want reliability and long life, go for innova. Want looks and status, buy Safari. The Tata motors workshop in Ludhiana(Dada motors) is the best Tata workshop I have seen. They take real good care of your car.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th April 2007 at 13:35.
Old 17th April 2007, 18:06   #39
BHPian

If u need SUV.. think abt Ford Endeveour..... its much expensive than your current budget.. but going by your likings.. this would suit you.. try to search for any second hand.. good deals.. if you can.. or rather buy this.... True SUV style...
Old 17th April 2007, 23:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
If u need SUV.. think abt Ford Endeveour..... its much expensive than your current budget.. but going by your likings.. this would suit you.. try to search for any second hand.. good deals.. if you can.. or rather buy this.... True SUV style...
Hi fellas, just back from work and thought i'd catch up on the thread. Thanks for the advice. Though obviously this had brought on more questions. prepare yourself!

I was seriously considering buying a secondhand ford endeavour,(ford-uk has now an okay rep) but a family member has persuaded me not to. Reason? The sheer ingenuity and tenacity of indian mechanics can hide even the most damaged, twisted and battered death trap so that it looks sparkling new for a few miles/kms. I'm not sure i'd be able to find a honest 2ndhand car.

Question: If i bought a used ford endeavour from a ford dealer (or even a toyota prados?), would that have guarantees/warranties?

Consensus says buy a new tata safari dicor. What is a dicor? Is that a trim level? Someone also mentioned safari safety and reliabilty issues? Should i be afraid that i might be stranded on the gt road at midnight with a tata rather than a toyota/ford?

Cheers fellas
Old 18th April 2007, 01:23   #41
Team-BHP Support

Tata safari DICOR is a 3.0 Ltr diesel powered SuV which can seat 7 in comfort. To be honest 5 in great comfort and 2 in slightly less comfort.
IT is pretty reliable, though not as much as a toyota, but with your kind of usage it is pretty good.
Search this forum and you will find lots of reviews.
The base model 2WD comes with power steering, AC and Power windows, and will cost you 8L(inclusive of all taxes) in Ludhiana. Ludhiana has just 2% road tax and that helps.
You can go for top end 2WD which will set you back by 10L and will give you ABS, Climate control etc.,
It is a very safe vehicle, and Tata has extensive crash testing facility in India.
It may have niggling problems, but nothing that will leave you stranded at night.
Service backup in Ludhiana is excellent.
Old 18th April 2007, 19:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Consensus says buy a new tata safari dicor. What is a dicor? Is that a trim level?
technically, DICoR = CRDI (common rail direct injection) with the letters reversed by tata for patent/copyrights issues.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 18th April 2007 at 19:15.
Old 19th April 2007, 20:57   #43
BHPian

Dicor is a crap in the name of a SUV... there is no comparisons of any sort between a Ford and a Tata..... my suggestion check with the dealers who deal with second hand cars... if you have a reliable mechanic.. ask him to chek the car and then only buy it... i think some dealers like truevalue and other give a 1/2 yrs warranty on the vehicl purchased.......
Old 20th April 2007, 05:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dicor is a crap in the name of a SUV... there is no comparisons of any sort between a Ford and a Tata.....
Do you own a Dicor?? Let me guess you drive the ford endeavour right?? No one here is comparing the TATA and Ford...

Godfather
Old 20th April 2007, 07:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dicor is a crap in the name of a SUV... there is no comparisons of any sort between a Ford and a Tata
A crap is grammatically incorrect. And your statement is factually incorrect. True, there is no comparison between Ford and Tata. Ford will cold-shoulder you BEFORE you even buy the car. And when you buy it, God help you with service and support. A Tata on the other hand, any part of the country you will find a service centre equipped to handle you. Trust me, I've dealt with both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks