Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
1997 Classic 145 38.87%
2021 Thar 228 61.13%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 09:54   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

Both.

Don't sell the Classic, but get that '21 Thar in whatever combination you prefer. Live with both, you can take a call later.

Or, park the Classic at your other home and drive it when you go there.

Neither of them will complain .
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:01   #62
BHPian

Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
To this question, I have voted for the Thar, but IMO, the Classic should be kept.

GTO,
You would definitely sell the Classic to an enthusiast, which will make it harder for you to buy it back, once you start missing it.
Ofcourse, you will miss it a few months after you sell it.

As far as I know, there is no thread in Team-BHP titled "How to convince the new owner to sell back your ex-car"

PS: Everyone says that the Classic will fetch peanuts when you sell it, which I don't believe.
GTO, according to you, what price will the Classic go for? That would also help for others to state their opinions.
Govardhansupra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:07   #63
BHPian

I would suggest to buy 2022/2023 mid-life face-lift THAR instead of the current gen. And no, I am not saying this because of the famous niggles present in first batch of all Mahindra cars (they tend to sort them out after 6-8 months anyway), but I think that many manufacturers deliberately keep some goodies/mods aside for midlife face-lift.

For THAR, I expecting modern door handles, better carpet and fit, new grill design, reversing camera, bigger screen (They can be installed cheaply aftermarket but I absolutely hate aftermarket accessories and fiddling with my electrical's).

Waiting for couple of years will also settle your mind and you will take much better decision.

Last edited by nishp : 30th December 2020 at 10:17.
nishp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:24   #64
BHPian

Poll needs a third option : "Both"

Keep the Classic and buy the 2022 Thar. The Classic will be a family heirloom that you can pass on to the next generation.

My grandfather had a LHD Willys Jeep and a Rover 50 years back. One was allowed to rot and the other gifted to someone. I'd kill (not literally but close) to have either of them in our garage right now.

Please, please, keep the Classic.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:13   #65
BHPian

I voted for Classic and here are my reasonings. Thar Gives you off-roading (To a lower level compared to Classic) and convenience. The convenience you can get from any other car, but the capability of the old Jeep, you will not get from any other machine. So better keep the old one..
anumod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:16   #66
BHPian

There must be a third option for both..I am searching for that.
commonman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:24   #67
BHPian

It's simple. Keep the classic. If you still decide not to, please give it to me
Horizon85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:36   #68
BHPian

I can't make this decision for you and I won't vote, but I'd like to relay a tiny story.

A friend still has his classic Jeep, which his grandfather owned back in the 60's. It stays in the garage, being cleaned and maintained and looked after, and is crappy and noisy and vibrates, has no doors, and is a safety disaster.
But.
The sense of occasion it invokes when it is taken out for a spin is unparalleled, and unmatched even by the S350 in the same garage.

Its value lies in its age, its nostalgia. By now it's a feeling, an idea, not a "car". Not many things in life get a chance at that.
ach1lles is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:00   #69
BHPian

I vote for the 1997 Classic.

I am facing a similar dilemma, whether to retain my RE CI 500 or sell it off and buy a new RE or used Harley.

The logical choice would be to sell off the older vehicle since it has outlived it's utility and buy a new Thar to replace the Classic. But the heart says otherwise.

Old school vehicle have a charm that is hard to replicate in newer iterations, how much of this charm is inconvenience or nostalgia and whether it outweighs the problems and liabilities that come with owning a vintage vehicle is something that only GTO can answer.
Aniket03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:33   #70
BHPian

GTO,

i still cant vote since im a newbie.

Hold on to the Classic! its will always be more fun to drive than the Thar.
Since you have other cars for different duties you wont be bothered about the shortcomings of the Classic.

Wait for some more time till the initial rush reduces for the Thar and they ask this question again.
By then you can also get a good deal on a Pre Owned Thar in the market.
prajnya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:06   #71
BHPian

I understand neither of the two cars. I am probably too young to admire the classic jeeps, and I think the new Thar will be a common sight in a couple of years. That said, If I were to choose one, I'd pick up the classic. Look at that thing, it's just special. And this is coming from someone who'd be worried day and night if something broke in my car - because I don't know where to find a reliable mechanic or spare parts.

P.S Look at the seat recline angle in the pics, you surely drive that jeep like its a sedan.
Chugh_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:06   #72
BHPian

Classic. Forget the top variants, the base model of new Thar costs about 12 Lakh OTR if I remember correctly. For that premium, I don't think it really offers anything substantially more than classic, considering the very limited practical applications of 'jeep'. Sure it is modern, safer etc. but at the end of the day both are not suitable for our concrete jungles, far from it. But then with the new rules coming in, I don't know how much of usable life the old cars are left with.

Also, I like a usable 'vintage' over anything 'retro'.

I haven't taken the new Thar off the road, however one thing I know is that Classic is a rockstar in such terrains. It was much better than the old Thar.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 30th December 2020 at 15:14.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:07   #73
BHPian

Won't comment on which one should you keep, as I feel you are an expert.

But from personal experience I can say that you will definitely miss the Classic if you decide to sell it. We had Bajaj Priya during my childhood which we sold sometime in 2007-08. Though its just a 3 gear scooter, which hardly could cross 40kmph, I still miss her. I wish it would have been retained. Now I can afford to maintain it, it would have been fun to ride as lot of childhood memories are attached to her.
But the fact is, I can not get it back.
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the new Thar! Having owned a M&M Classic and a Gypsy, and having a keen eye on the new Thar, I can completely relate to GTO's dilemma

As lovely a relic as the Classic is, it is exactly that in this age - a relic! Sooner or later, maintenance issues are bound to crop up, not to mention more stringent emission norms which might soon find their way to metros other than NCR. I would strongly suggest giving it off to another enthusiast and going in for the new Thar.

That said, if parking space is not an issue, and one is okay with regular investment on maintenance in terms of time/effort/money, keep both - Thar as a daily driver/fun car and Classic as a once-in-a-while "feel good" car to re-live the past.

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th December 2020 at 15:11.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 17:52   #75
BHPian

My vote without any doubt goes to Classic ... Its been with you for 25 years and can very easily stay for as much longer. New Thar is good, infact it is very good, and there is no comparison between the two but it can never be what this Classic has been. Please hold onto it for as long as you can. Few years down the line, a newer better Thar will come but classic would always hold its place as grand daddy of Jeeps in India.
AVL500 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks