Team-BHP - Advice required on purchasing a used SsangYong Rexton RX7
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Advice required on purchasing a used SsangYong Rexton RX7 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/232089-advice-required-purchasing-used-ssangyong-rexton-rx7-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4980780)
This is the kind of deal which spoils friendships! rl:

Stay away from this and you will have a friend to keep later.

The car is not known for reliability, for service network, for parts availability or for FNG support. This is like picking a grenade after the pin has been pulled out.lol:

My cousin has decided to heed your advice and not spoil his friendship over a SUVm, esp. this SUV. :p

Admins may please close this thread as he has decided against buying the Rexton. Thank you to all for your good advice. clap:

I would certainly advise against buying the car for the simple reason that it did not sell in good numbers.
Only comment that I have is , a relative of mine met with a severe accident in one. It was completely smashed and rolled over with all airbags deployed as well but every single occupant came out unhurt.
Not a reason alone to buy the vehicle but just a first hand account.

You may even consider a good Mitsubishi Outlander. I bought a used piece with just 43K on the odo and had it all the way till 95K (6 yrs). Gem of a car with zero issues. Had to sell last year due to relocation

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4982532)
Avoid at any & all costs, even if the seller gives it to you for 2 lakhs. You are basically paying him to take over his headache.

Just curious but what would you say is a fair price for such a vehicle? Market dud, high mileage but assume it is well-maintained and in good condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4984856)
Just curious but what would you say is a fair price for such a vehicle? Market dud, high mileage but assume it is well-maintained and in good condition.

If I am reading him right, staying away from such a vehicle is the best course of action.

I tend to agree, after having owned four pre-owned cars. Such cars bring more headache than comfort. If one is looking for a fuss-free ownership, one should do well staying away from such vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4984870)
If I am reading him right, staying away from such a vehicle is the best course of action.

I understand where you're coming from but I think the perspective on used cars on TeamBHP is quite narrow sometimes. It is as if every used car has to be "like new" but for a lot cheaper. But let's not forget, there is a pretty huge market out there where people like to experiment with project cars, don't mind a car that's unreliable, are willing to live with jugaad solutions, etc. Even the scrap value for this car would be significant and let's face it, this is India - if the car moves under its own steam, it's not going to the scrapyard.

A fuss free ownership experience is certainly worth something but not having that isn't the end of the world. It might not be right for you and me but 2L doesn't sound too bad for a full size 4x4 that likely has quite a lot of life left in it.

Just my two paisa :)

Agreed. For some, having a fuss free ownership is a priority, while for some, the low price, more features and perhaps the opportunity to be able to tinker with the car could be appealing.

And I am not saying that in a sarcastic way, after all I have been through it myself.

If you do want to pin down a particular price point, there's none. It's a unique proposition and the price must reflect the uniqueness that both the seller and buyer perceive in the vehicle. There are no direct apple to apple comparisons here, as each such car will be unique.

Perhaps the deal will happen at 2L, perhaps the seller might be able to get 8L for it. Too many factors involved to assign a specific price point IMO.

I think it's a bit unfair to blame the Rx7 just because they cross 1 lakh on the odo. The Merc engine can do more than double that easily, if confessions on Rexton clubs are to be believed.
I and my friend had bought RXes of 2013 vintage one and a half years ago and both of us have been using them quite regularly, though they're not our daily drivers.
Agree that Mahindra service is not the best and the RX7's parts take a long time to come (My friend's RX needed a wiring change and it took a month for them to get it from Korea), but they ARE available. But like any luxury vehicle, it's quite expensive to maintain.
I've used it on mild off-road runs too. It easily climbs 30-40 degree inclines with ease, with 5 people onboard!
My two bits' worth: The RX7 is a great used vehicle, especially for the price you get it for. But you need to have another car in the garage, just in case. Please insist on service history and get it checked thoroughly for accident/flood damage or severe neglect.
I've done it and am happy with the purchase. If its good for me, its good for you too.

I have been using RX5 since 2014 feb. I will never sell it, only ran 30K km in almost 7 years. So far the major expenses are a broken key and a faulty key sensor. Once the entire clutch assembly was replaced during warranty period but I only had to pay a nominal charge I think. It was long back don't remember how much I paid.

AVOID.
That's the only word I could advise.
One doesn't go for sinking ship even you get if for free.
GTO has advised rightly. Please heed to the wisdom of experienced BHPians.

Mod Note - Please capitalize where necessary. You are requested to type in full without any abbreviations.

Thanks.

I would echo what all the points put forth by the gentlemen. Definitely not worth the price, the ownership and or the post-ownership woes. Hold on a little longer, widen the net and you will find better, cheaper and reliable options all around. It perhaps may take a wee bit more time. SSANGYONG definitely not worth even if offered for peanuts. These are absolute money pits.

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessing (Post 4984992)
I think it's a bit unfair to blame the Rx7 just because they cross 1 lakh on the odo. The Merc engine can do more than double that easily, if confessions on Rexton clubs are to be believed.
I and my friend had bought RXes of 2013 vintage one and a half years ago and both of us have been using them quite regularly, though they're not our daily drivers.
Agree that Mahindra service is not the best and the RX7's parts take a long time to come (My friend's RX needed a wiring change and it took a month for them to get it from Korea), but they ARE available. But like any luxury vehicle, it's quite expensive to maintain.
I've used it on mild off-road runs too. It easily climbs 30-40 degree inclines with ease, with 5 people onboard!
My two bits' worth: The RX7 is a great used vehicle, especially for the price you get it for. But you need to have another car in the garage, just in case. Please insist on service history and get it checked thoroughly for accident/flood damage or severe neglect.
I've done it and am happy with the purchase. If its good for me, its good for you too.

Hey you got the silver Rexton RX7 used from Sub5 cars from 2017 April-May is it? If yes, I almost bought that very car home at 24,000-odd kms in March 2017. We decided to not buy the car on the d-day after paying for the car in full. Automotive Mahindra was being a pain to deal with considering our past experiences and that was the only reason we backed off.

P.S: The vehicle registration number was AP28DS7642

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jattitude (Post 4980296)

3) Will it be worth a buy or are there better options in a similar price range?

If your cousin is ok with a compact SUV/rugged hatchback, then a new Nissan Magnite seems good in the price range of 6 lakhs. All other new compact SUVs are priced higher and only older models like the Rexton will fit in the 6 lakh budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jattitude (Post 4983529)
My cousin has decided to heed your advice and not spoil his friendship over a SUVm, esp. this SUV. :p

Admins may please close this thread as he has decided against buying the Rexton. Thank you to all for your good advice. clap:

Good choice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy (Post 4985241)
Hey you got the silver Rexton RX7 used from Sub5 cars from 2017 April-May is it? If yes, I almost bought that very car home at 24,000-odd kms in March 2017. We decided to not buy the car on the d-day after paying for the car in full. Automotive Mahindra was being a pain to deal with considering our past experiences and that was the only reason we backed off.

P.S: The vehicle registration number was AP28DS7642

No buddy, the regn number is different. Found it on Car Trade in 2019. This is my first Mahindra and their ASS at Kondapur responds quite okay. Looks like Mahindra's change from Automotive to VVC Motors has made my experience different from yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessing (Post 4985968)
No buddy, the regn number is different. Found it on Car Trade in 2019. This is my first Mahindra and their ASS at Kondapur responds quite okay. Looks like Mahindra's change from Automotive to VVC Motors has made my experience different from yours.

Automotive is improved for good now. Lead by my very close friend. VVC in Kondapur is pretty good too. But yeah, he still says that the waiting for some parts for the Rexton is high. Usual service parts are available OTC. It's the replacement parts which have an unusually high downtime.