Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 00:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Advice required on purchasing a used SsangYong Rexton RX7

The Rexton is a great car with fairly fuel efficient engine considering the size of the car.I would say it is one of the most comfortable cars in its segment.Only drawback of the car is its letargic automatic gearbox which unfortunately is a CVT.
With Mahindra giving up on Ssangyong, I would suggest you stay away from it. In place of that it will be much safer to opt for a Fortuner or an Endeavour.
Old 26th January 2021, 20:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelanjan View Post
Only drawback of the car is its letargic automatic gearbox which unfortunately is a CVT.
As far as i remember, I think the rexton had a 5 speed torque converter automatic.
Old 26th January 2021, 22:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
As far as i remember, I think the rexton had a 5 speed torque converter automatic.
Even I was under the impression that it's a torque converter gearbox but when I drove it extensively, it was behaving nothing less than how a Baleno's CVT automatic. You can't even makeout the gearshifts in the Rexton Automatic. The fender monogram mentions 2.7 XVT, which I think means CVT.
Old 27th January 2021, 09:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelanjan View Post
when I drove it extensively, it was behaving nothing less than how a Baleno's CVT automatic.
I just rechecked and it is a 5 speed torque converter. The thing is, when we drive a torque converter car sedately, it starts to feel like a CVT, especially when it is a smooth unit like the Rexton's. Once you floor the throttle on Rexton, you can easily identify it as a torque converter as there is no rubber band effect unlike a CVT.
Old 27th January 2021, 11:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
I just rechecked and it is a 5 speed torque converter. The thing is, when we drive a torque converter car sedately, it starts to feel like a CVT, especially when it is a smooth unit like the Rexton's. Once you floor the throttle on Rexton, you can easily identify it as a torque converter as there is no rubber band effect unlike a CVT.
My apologies for the misconception.Even under hard acceleration it felt like a CVT hence I assumed it's a CVT.
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As if the above wasn't enough, I would NEVER recommend anyone to buy a used car with 1.25 lakh km on the odo. A BHPian recently ignored this advice and ended up with a full engine rebuild bill within a month of buying a car.
Is this for every car? If so, it is a ridiculous over generalisation. This BHPian probably did not do any due diligence and hence got burned since most mechanics(even really bad ones with apathy) can tell if an engine rebuild is incoming.

The right way to buy a used car is to set expectations to yourself on the car you are buying, do your due diligence on the condition of the car, calculate the cost (and time) for repairs needed to bring it back to original spec, research on spares availability, take into account all future costs and then work it into the price.

Here's an alternate scenario for you, one that is very real.

A 50k driven car can sometimes be more expensive since most manufacturer recommendations are to swap out belts, engine mounts, timing and usually running on original tyres that need an immediate swap which also costs big money. This is usually the case around 60-80k mileage and 5-8 years of age. So a big bill is coming your way in a year or so anyway.

A 125k driven car if maintained properly will usually have newer belts, newer suspension, newer tyres and a few upgrades to go along with it since someone would have liked it enough to go through the hassle of living with it and doing the repairs timely.

While I may not buy a rexton rx7 either in this day and age, this whole generalised rhetoric of "buy a low mileage car or you will be in trouble" is very unbecoming of a car enthusiast forum.

That said, if someone has an rx7 for 2 lakhs in Karnataka, hit me up I know my way around used cars.

Last edited by shankarbn : 2nd August 2022 at 20:05. Reason: added more detail to the 50k car everyone loves so much
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 20:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
A 50k driven car can sometimes be more expensive since most manufacturer recommendations are to swap out belts, engine mounts, timing and usually running on original tyres that need an immediate swap which also costs big money. This is usually the case around 60-80k mileage and 5-8 years of age. So a big bill is coming your way in a year or so anyway.

A 125k driven car if maintained properly will usually have newer belts, newer suspension, newer tyres and a few upgrades to go along with it since someone would have liked it enough to go through the hassle of living with it and doing the repairs timely.
100% agree with this. My friends have purchased two cars, one with 1.3L km (now nearly 2Lkm)on odo and other at 1.55L (now at 2.5L km) Both fiesta diesels as they were cheap to buy. Common perception being Ford's are expensive to maintain. Only thing we did was to go to local Ford dealer and check detailed history of car. The 1.3L car had just finished the major service at 1.2L! Still running like new though some plastic trim has started to fail.

Last edited by akshay380 : 2nd August 2022 at 20:26.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks