Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 13:31   #1
BHPian

Advice required on purchasing a used SsangYong Rexton RX7

Hi, everyone!

My cousin was in the market for an SUV (new or pre-owned) and he has been offered a February 2013 Ssyanong RX7 4x4, approximately 127K kms driven with 2 new tyres and 2 in ok condition. He knows the person selling the car and the car has been well maintained and has a 100% good service record in the company. The asking price is INR 6 lakhs.

My questions are as below:

1) Are there any known issues with Rx7 or is it a car that can munch a lot more miles?

2) What is the kind of service/ parts related support available for owners in case of issues?

3) Will it be worth a buy or are there better options in a similar price range?

Thank you!

Last edited by Jattitude : 17th January 2021 at 13:45.
Jattitude is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Advice required on purchasing a used SsangYong Rexton RX7

I will buy the Pajero SFX over this any day.

Please find out if regular consumables are available or not. What about spare parts like windshield, tail lamps, headlamps and similar items if required.

Get it inspected throughout, from an independent and competent mechanic / garage as well as from the M&M dealer.

See if you can get the SFX. The Pajero Sport and the old gen Endeavour can be had for a bit more price, but would be worth it. You can also scour NCR market for Fortuner of 2010 / '11 / '12 vintage.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2021 at 15:20.
Sheel is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 18:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't usually say this, but STAY AWAY! Spares might be a big problem in the future, once M&M completely washes their hands off Ssanyong.
giri1.8 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 18:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
February 2013 Ssyanong RX7 4x4, approximately 127K kms driven!
There is no way on earth I would even come close to considering the Rexton. I love its interiors but that's about it.

I would second Sheel's recommendations and here is my order:

1. Pajero SFX
2. 2012-16 Fortuner
3. Pajero Sport

I rate #3 better than #2 except that availability of parts is tougher for the Pajero Sport.
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Look. If my sister's Mahindra Rodeo is any example of how difficult it is to find spares for a Mahindra owner just 5 years after discontinuation of their own product, imagine what Ssangyong owners will feel when its a step sister brand product that's gone bust and Mahindra wants none of it?
Nithesh_M is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 20:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are going for discontinued model, it is very risky to purchase a "NOT SO SUCCESSFUL" model

I therefore suggest you to go with a Scorpio with similar ageing(duration). You can get it with lesser odo reading for your budget.

The advantage is, you will not have problems with spares because it is not a failure model or discontinued model

Last edited by gkveda : 17th January 2021 at 21:02.
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 22:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Not worth a second look. The company is in deep distress. Daewoos made good cars ahead of their time and gave us the first petrol MPFI car viz the Cielo. But after the chaebol collapsed, these two very good cars viz Cielo and Matiz made and marketed by them, lost their resale values in the used car market. A Cielo in running condition was selling for Rs 25,000/- About six years ago. They have nearly disappeared from the roads.

The Ssangyong Rexton will meet the same fate unless a miracle resurrects the company.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th January 2021 at 22:38.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 01:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The only time I could use the “No” related dialogue from the movie pink for Ssangyong. Avoid it brother. There is a reason why a 20+ lakh rupee vehicle is selling for 6 lakhs when vehicles in its segment are fetching 2x the value.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is the kind of deal which spoils friendships!

Stay away from this and you will have a friend to keep later.

The car is not known for reliability, for service network, for parts availability or for FNG support. This is like picking a grenade after the pin has been pulled out.
2000rpm is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 19:50   #10
BHPian

I would suggest to stay away, basic service parts will be hard to come by and to top this Ssanyong has filed for bankruptcy, if the company folds there will be no one to ship spares from Korea for any major issue.

At a budget of 6LK, there are limited options, Safari/Scorpio are reliable workhorses. While the Pajero is a great car, getting the Sport in 6LK budget is difficult and SFX needs a competent mechanic and good spare source to maintain it.
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 20:15   #11
BHPian

It would be better to talk to the service manager of the dealership to understand the parts situation. Many components would be available from OEM sources but the dealer might not fit them. Hence, try talking to the service team and also a few local reputed garage owners. Also, 6 lakhs may be a bit high for this considering the potential headaches the new owner would be subject to.

People are still able to keep cars like the Forester running, but it needs a lot of time.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 09:34   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice required on purchasing a used SsangYong Rexton RX7

Avoid at any & all costs, even if the seller gives it to you for 2 lakhs. You are basically paying him to take over his headache.

- The Rexton was a very mediocre SUV
- Mahindra workshops had no clue on how to service it
- The reliability was patchy
- Spare part availability is impossible

The car damaged the "Ssangyong" & "Rexton" brands so severely that Mahindra entirely ditched them when they launched the 2nd-gen car here, instead calling it the Mahindra Alturas G4.

As if the above wasn't enough, I would NEVER recommend anyone to buy a used car with 1.25 lakh km on the odo. A BHPian recently ignored this advice and ended up with a full engine rebuild bill within a month of buying a car.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 10:53   #13
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would NEVER recommend anyone to buy a used car with 1.25 lakh km on the odo.
Off topic but is 50k the max you would advise for a used car.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...offered a February 2013 Ssyanong RX7 4x4, approximately 127K km ... The asking price is INR 6 lakhs.
No, I'd run away from the car at 100 mph. What does he want in a pre-owned SUV? From the Scorpio and Aria to Mitsubishi Pajero, there are a few options under 10 lakh. (I assumed the budget) Mitsubishi is a mixed bag - can be a good bet if you know an FNG who can source parts as the SUV is pretty popular abroad.
Quote:
My questions are as below:

1) Are there any known issues with Rx7 or is it a car that can munch a lot more miles?
A BHPian had a turbo failure. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-warranty.html (Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty)

I know saw a post on Twitter on the failure of an EGR valve on a car at 80k, but not able to find the thread as it was long ago.
Quote:
2) What is the kind of service/ parts related support available for owners in case of issues?
You can forget about getting parts easily. I'm sure you can more easily get OEM parts for a Toyota Qualis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
People are still able to keep cars like the Forester running, but it needs a lot of time.
TBH, Forester & most Mitsubishis are popular models abroad. They might have not sold in India, but there is a huge spares market from Chinese/Thai companies. An FNG with links to the right distributors can source parts. Only disadvantage: Downtime & high-prices.

Sadly, I've never heard of Rexton being popular in any country.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 20th January 2021 at 12:10.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, everyone!
The asking price is INR 6 lakhs.
It should be avoided even if the car is given for FREE.

The way Mahindra has washed its hands off SSangyong, today a Rexton is a ticking bomb with an invisible timer. Not at all worth the risk.

Hunt around a low run but popular model in NCR region. With the 10 year phase out rule, you will get one easily in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Procuring parts for a discontinued model (especially a low seller) is a tough task. I have seen people burn their fingers and pay through their noses.

Also leads to unnecessary down-time.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed