Used Jeep Compass 236 78.41%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:42   #31
BHPian

Re: New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Thank you for writing the query. I was itching to do the same for a while as I too find myself in a similar dilemma.
Mods- Please let me know if I should post this separately as I wouldn't want to hijack this post
As i experienced all 3 cars in your post (Duster=Terrano, Compass and Harrier). I owned Duster, drove rented Compass on Delhi-Haridwar-Rishikesh-Kedar-Badri-Lansdowne-Delhi route and rented Harrier on Jaipur-Jaisalmer-Longewala-Jaipur.

Compass's ride is stiffer of the three with more rocking movement on bad roads at slow speeds particularly at the back. The ride improves as speed increases. You have to slow down for broken roads.Where it trumps is faster cornering, lesser body roll and steering response.

Harrier's ride is much better on broken roads , but more body roll, average steering.

My take is if driving pleasure is paramount, nothing like Compass, for everything else, its Harrier.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd January 2021 at 18:51. Reason: Fixing quotes, do a preview before posting. Thanks.
bullitt1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:59   #32
BHPian

It is a very difficult decision to help someone with. I was in similar Dilemma about a year ago and chose Seltos primarily because I wanted an Automatic and Compass did not have one (also boring interiors of last gen Compass were not a plus point either).
If I have to make a choice today I will most certainly go for New Tuscan in Diesel version.

For you all I can give is perspective of owning Seltos for about 15 months and 13K ODO. Have taken multiple long road trips from Gurgaon to Himachal and I found it be really good highway cruiser (do note I never cross 120). Acceleration is good and overtaking is easier. Since looks are subjective, you would have to decide on that front on your own + family inputs.

Best of luck for your new purchase!
Mountainman21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread, and relevant in part to my own hunt for my next car. Am looking for a car to replace my Vento, but given my usage (largely urban crawl), am focussed on petrol automatics. Test drove the Seltos 1.4 turbo DCT and the 1.5 diesel Auto. Found both of them really good, albeit in a short 3 km run down Worli Sea face. Between the two, the petrol is my pick - great pick up, with the only issue being the stupid beep at 80 kmph comes before you know it. My family was really impressed with the interiors too. Would have unhesitatingly picked it up but for the GNCAP flop show - but none of the other products in the segment seem to have been tested either.

Waiting for the new face lifted Compass to show - but do think it would take a lot to convince me to pay ₹4 - 5 lakh more for the car. Will also end up trying various other models such as the Hector, Carnival, Tiguan et al - let’s see where this ends. Best of luck for your car hunt.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:05   #34

Greetings,
After a brief hiatus, I am back to reading the posts shared in this forum.
Glad to see that there are many prospective buyers for Jeep vehicle, be it a new or a used one.
No doubt, Jeep compass is too good a vehicle.
However a word of caution - Please do the due diligence to know about is service.
1) Mopar is not customer friendly at all.
2) Spare parts availability for jeep is a big question mark.
I am not throwing allegations without proof. I am indeed a victim of both point 1 and 2.
It is been around 90 days that my jeep vehicle is lying in the service center for want of a spare part. All I keep hearing from FCA is 'we are working on it, please bear with us’.
Thus an advice to all prospective buyers of Jeep in India, do check about the service before you make the purchase.
Note – could someone help as to how do I approach this? I heard that I could ask for a loan vehicle until my jeep is fixed. Is it true?
Regards
ChidSrini75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 21:33   #35
BHPian

I'd rather buy a vehicle which I feel connected to, instead of connected features. I'll go with a car which has got the basics right rather than driving a gizmo on wheels which can't even provide a sorted braking mechanism. Also, I feel these are the last few years where you can get an actual driver's car. The times are changing fast and I can only see more and more tech laden gizmos coming up in the future with more and more electronic intervention. So, make use of the opportunity and own a machine that is actually fun to drive and built to last. I'll prefer a compass anyday over a seltos.
Bhupi_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:29   #36
BHPian

Judging from your preferences. Compass any day! Being an owner, nothing will tick your boxes better than that. Seltos sure on some levels is updated, but Compass has driveability which cannot be matched by Seltos anytime (according to my personal opinion).
Happy Driving!
vtecblast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 00:48   #37
BHPian

I think it’s a no-brainier. Now don’t call me a Jeep/Fiat fanboy 😄
Yes there might not be a great deal of difference in the interior space. But on the other hand you get the following:
1) Much better built quality
2) Sweet 2.0 diesel that can make the highway drives a child’s play.
3) Being a diesel the FE will be much better than what Seltos turbo petrol can get even after thrashing the engine.
4) Excellent ride handling balance . I don’t think there is any other SUV that can match it in that segment at least. And Seltos belongs to a lower segment.
5) Communicative steering and slick gearbox. I am a sucker for manual transmission and the Compass even after being a Fiat product has a very nice gearbox and coupled with communicative steering aids to driving pleasure that the Seltos can’t match, period!
6) Looks which can be subjective.
7) Fiat MJDs are known to be very reliable and there is no dry clutch DCT involved so should translate to better peace of mind!
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:21   #38

I was in the same boat as you,last year and ended up picking up a Pre-owned Jeep Compass Diesel LTD with 22k kms on the odo. Would definitely recommend it over the Seltos any day. Here are some pictures from my Jaipur to Bengaluru trip last month.

New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass-3c9e143987cb417e95f00d52f4d1480f.jpeg
New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass-e031ebed6323452785ee57b82e9c3312.jpeg
adityagurjar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 17:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
My take is if driving pleasure is paramount, nothing like Compass, for everything else, its Harrier.
Thank you for the response.

I think on similar lines, thus the dilemma. My inner quest was always about choosing between Harrier and Compass.
I recently got some pre worshipped listings with 2.0D Limited ranging around 15L for 28-35K mileage. Haven't enquired further as I'm not too certain if this is the ideal price range, considering the facelift launch and these being BS4 version( Though personally, I would love to have the kick in turbo feel of non BS6 version), but it's an important factor for cost depreciation of older models.

Any fellow members suggestion or experience in pre-owned range and red flags while inspecting pre worshipped?
aastiksaluja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 20:07   #40
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos. It'a a pretty popular model, so maintenance will not be a problem down the line, it has plenty of gizmos to keep you entertained, and it will be quick enough for your requirements. And at the end of the day, it will be a brand new car.
Merc_Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 22:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Thank you for the response.

Any fellow members suggestion or experience in pre-owned range and red flags while inspecting pre worshipped?
Most of cars i checked was Ltd 2018 onwards run about 30-35k, in range of 15-16 lacs. Better to avoid 2017 and early 2018 models, as they had clutch issue.
I guess there were also couple of ECU updates in early 2018. Other than this havent come across any mechanical issue.
Anyways, you can always get the car inspected at service centre.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:42   #42
BHPian

On the highway, the 0-100 times don't matter much. What matter more are safety, 100-0, ride and handling and 40-100. And this is where the Compass outshines the Seltos.

0-100. I have an Octavia 1.8 and I only get to gun it when I'm alone in the city. On long drives my wife is with me and she doesn't like hard acceleration.

Safety, 100-0. Stronger body, Reliable brakes, better stability, and a 5 star rating for the international variant.

Ride and Handling. Even with the ever improving highways in India, you'll always find bad stretches and that's when the ride quality will matter a lot. Especially when the roads right before were smooth. And the Compass handles much better too.

40-100. Braking for a speed breaker/parallel truck/cows is more common than stopping completely and then accelerating.

Bonus points for fuel efficiency on long drives, higher segment car, exclusivity and timeless looks.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 14:33   #43
BHPian

Had you asked for a choice between New Seltos vs a new Compass, it would have been the Compass. But between New Seltos and used Compass, the Seltos is my pick.
Since I am here in Odisha, have been driving our Seltos 1.4 GTX Plus manual extensively and it’s a lovely vehicle.
If you are looking for a car to mostly cruise on the highway (if that’s the primary purpose), the Compass is great. The Seltos 1.4 has a very powerful engine and every time I drive it, it feels special. Agree there are some Kia horror stories available in multiple forums but so is the case for Compass as well.
If you do not intend to off road much, want a car with a sprightly engine, decent boot, the Seltos is a great vehicle. Riding on the 17th inch wheels feels stiff but high speed stability is awesome.
Old 20th March 2021, 19:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChidSrini75 View Post
No doubt, Jeep compass is too good a vehicle.
However a word of caution - Please do the due diligence to know about is service.
1) Mopar is not customer friendly at all.
2) Spare parts availability for jeep is a big question mark.
I am not throwing allegations without proof. I am indeed a victim of both point 1 and 2.
It is been around 90 days that my jeep vehicle is lying in the service center for want of a spare part. All I keep hearing from FCA is 'we are working on it, please bear with us’.
Thus an advice to all prospective buyers of Jeep in India, do check about the service before you make the purchase...
ChidSrini75 - Boss, your earlier post in another thread states that your Jeep Compass was parked in an area (presumably basement) that was flooded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChidSrini75 View Post
On 13th October there was torrential downpour in Hyderabad and as result my car parking was flooded and unfortunately my Jeep Compass Limited(2018 model) too was flooded upto 3 inches below bonnet level in water....
Whereas I do sympathise regarding the flood damage - one must concede that any vehicle that's been immersed in water for 4-5 days (as per your post) will definitely need very extensive repairs and possibly be even beyond economic recovery. I do not believe its fair to judge the service centre or FCA's customer support on this basis of repairs and recovery of a flood affected vehicle.

There have been your repeated posts in various threads stressing the shortfalls in customer support. Perhaps you may kindly consider giving the complete background to your case before passing judgement on FCA's customer & maintenance support.

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT an employee of FCA, I am not a FIAT-Jeep fanboy and I do not own a Compass.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 20th March 2021 at 19:10.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 19:54   #45
BHPian

I feel that cars like Jeep Compass 4*4 will be really a useful comparison with Seltos if one is planning some thing like a Leh/Srinagar/Laddak circuit or some thing that is a challenging terrain. Otherwise on the National highways we may not be able to really differentiate or compare the products effectively. Most of the Sedans also do well in our highways. I have booked a Jeep Compass and await the delivery in May. I am moving from a Vento TSI to Jeep Compass 4*4 as I am planning to do Leh circuit. If I was just planning to use it in highways, dont think I will get any incremental value than Vento which I have used extensively on highways without any issues and also comfortably. Seltos also ticks most of the boxes, albeit at a lower price point and that's reflective in its sales numbers as compared to Jeep Compass But I feel owning a particular brand is a personal statement and value is very subjective. It can never be evaluated through a rational lens subject to what our finances allow. Even on some thing that is as person dependent like handwriting, we have pens like Mont Blanc sell at 30-50k when we get some thing like a Rotomac like 10 Rs. Not that our handwriting gets better on a MontBlanc.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks