Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 21:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Which SUV / Crossover should I buy for Rs 45 lakhs?

I kind of see that Jeep Compass Petrol AT can be considered, overpriced, but give the new generation a chance.
Else,
1. Hyundai Tucson
2. CR-V.
A weird/unique suggestion would be Outlander. Totally unaware about its availability (in Delhi NCR) and Mitsubishi's future in India is uncertain too.
vtecblast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Stretch a bit and wait for new locally assembled Jeep Wrangler.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:54   #33
BHPian

Considering my experience with the 2.0TSI in my Audi Q5, I wouldn't recommend a VAG 2.0TSI car. My car had barely done 40k km in 2 years and requires a BRAND NEW engine, thankfully which is being done under warranty. The after-sales has been okay but that is thanks to having some close contacts working in Audi India.

It had some issues with compression and the car has been at the service center for 2 months already.
Considering the superior reliability of BMW, the added value of BSI, and the ability to snag an extended warranty free of cost these days I suggest X1 over Tiguan.
thecarguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:38   #34
BHPian

As Aravind has commented very consicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
What about Citröen Aircross? New product in the market with a proven suspension setup, would definitely suffice comfort levels for city driving.
This is what I would recommend checking out too. If your requirement is as stated, this may be the stand apart car your wife would like.

However, consider this - your wife has been driving a large car for 9 years. You are looking for a like for like replacement. Why not switch that view around? Anyway, you have the Audi for taking your family of 5; Why not consider a MINI - something most women would love - maybe after driving it a bit, you may consider the merits of having a smaller chuck-about car
GreenerPlanet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 02:22   #35
BHPian

From your original post and replies, it looks like your wife is looking for the BMW X1. BMW's in general are pretty reliable workhorses if you keep them in good shape.

It fits perfectly in your budget and all your constraints. Other cars are neither meeting your constraints nor your wife's preferences. I would say you will not be let down by an X1. May be your 'nerd' friend, if he/she is on team-bhp (or you on behalf of him/her) can enlighten us all about the reasons not to choose the X1 and what he/she means about BMW DNA.

BMW X1 is built on UKL-2 platform (UKL in German means Untere Klasse - Lower/under class) designated by BMW for the FWD (Front Wheel Drive) cars like 1&2 series, Mini country and clubman.

The current generation X1 has the code name F48, which uses a 2.0L B48 series petrol engine mated to a 7 speed dual clutch transmission (DCT). The same engine is used in different states of tune in different BMW models in almost upto their top of the line 7 series models. So you can be rest assured that it is a proper BMW engineered engine. The dual clutch gearbox, made by Getrag for the X1 is a pretty decent one (however all the rear wheel drive models, BMW uses a better 8 speed ZF tranmission). Perse you cannot compare a Getrag 7 speed DCT to a DCT of Hyundai/Kia or any non-premium brands. The Getrag 7-DCT is tuned by BMW and has a very good response and fuel economy. The suspension setup, just like other premium brands has 4 wheel independent suspension (Front Mcpherson struts & Rear Multilink) is also pretty comfortable.

The reason to point out the details is to let you know that in every essence, the X1 remains a BMW except that it does not have a RWD (Rear Wheel Drive), which some purists say is not a BMW at all. Well, the company is moving in a direction to get more customers and making FWD cars has become a mandatory thing for them for cost reasons. Also having a FWD car means, there is no large middle tunnel which provides a bit more space for passengers in the backseat and has less weight overall (Read fuel economy and less tire wear).

Considering the above, I personally think for the budget and requirements, you cannot get a better car than an X1 sdrive 20i Xline. Just get the maximum discount from the dealer + get also the extended warranty and the Service inclusive plus for peace of mind.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st March 2021 at 02:34.
carthick1000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 07:42   #36
BHPian

Having gone through the same decision making process late last year, I would say the X1 is a good choice. I picked the x1 sportx.
Your discount seems to be in the same ballpark as what i got, but it was a new launch last year. Next version will only come in 2024.

For me , no other car in that price range gave a good enough compact suv experience! The build quality , smooth punchy petrol engine, decent gearbox and the space available hit the sweet spot for me. The new GLA and XC40 might be close if you are not focused too much on the drive. Couple of things to keep in mind is that the drive on broken roads is a bit harsh, we often find our duster to be much better for Bangalore roads. Also, i really miss keyless entry! That aside the overall car is superb and I just keep looking for reasons to take it out for a drive, its not feature loaded but it has the features I really need, and every feature there works well and is thought through. FWD is definitely a damper, but worth it given the benefits of practicality.

Regarding competition : as much as I like the VAGs , the tiguan allspace just did not cut it! Build quality and drive were not up to the mark!
Crv i just could not find one to test drive. Love hondas, but this one was probably a hit sluggish
Kodiaq, q3 and tiguan 5 seater were sadly missing.
Jeep compass i find to be a segment lower esp in space, and a decent model priced too close to the x1.
ronk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:17   #37
BHPian

I would strongly suggest the Volvo XC40. Very premium, loaded with features and very good looking. Also, I think the size will be just right for a lady driver. I know a lady who is very happy with the XC40.
Old 1st March 2021, 18:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraf_suman View Post

7) We had started looking at the Hector, Creta and Seltos but my wife is veering towards something more aspirational and premium so we didn't even test drive them :(

We kind of liked the X1 and I was going to pull the trigger on it (X1 Xline)

The thing is, the entry level luxury cars aren't really luxurious at all. D1 and D2 segment cars beat them black and blue on everything except brand value. But is paying 15-20 lakhs more for a brand and getting less features/space/practicality worth it? I'd say no, but once your heart is set on a badge, it's hard to convince yourself otherwise.

The only nice car in that segment is a 3 series because of its driving pleasure but that's a sedan and you're looking for an SUV.

Luxury really starts at the mid luxury level with cars like the X3 and GLC. If you're open to pre owned, you can get a good one in your budget. Their petrol models depreciate a lot.

Brand new, the Jeep Compass makes sense, if she can get over the abysmal fuel efficiency, unreliability, and having to double kickdown the petrol DCT to get it to gallop. It has brand, is premium and one of the few cars adored equally by both men and women. Yes, it is overpriced, but by much less than the luxury cars.
evil_grin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:25   #39

Why don't you consider Toyota Camry? Just do an extensive test drive in Gurgaon and see if it can take the broken roads and mountainous speed brakers without any issues and decide.
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:32   #40
BHPian

Thank you folks for your wonderful suggestions and earnest advise. The deed has been done.

A Phytonic Blue X1, XLine came home on the 25th and wifey is super excited In the end, that's what matters. I can't defend this decision if I am wearing my analytical/rational hat, but then there is this allure of the BMW badge and the overall package that makes people pay that extra premium for no additional intrinsic value. In the end, she is happy, the kids are happy so I am happy too!

In the last few days of driving, she did point out a few irritants. I think they can be resolved by coding, though I am not sure how that plays with the warranty:

1) auto fold ORVM's on close unless you long press the FOB
2) disable auto start/stop by default

Also from her driving position, she can't see the fuel and range indicators. They are occluded a bit.

Thank you kind folks once again!

Here is a picture of the car:
Attached Thumbnails
Which SUV / Crossover should I buy for Rs 45 lakhs?-x1.jpeg  

Last edited by saraf_suman : 2nd March 2021 at 11:47.
saraf_suman is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:

A Phytonic Blue X1, XLine came home on the 25th and wifey is super excited In the end, that's what matters
Hearty congratulations. I had a feeling that this is what you'd get eventually. In the end, yes, a happy wife is what matters.
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:24   #42

Great choice! For the price and size nothing comes close. Congratulations!
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:13   #43
BHPian

Mid-Life dilemma

I am a middle aged IT professional. Given the nature of our work, that too product development side of it, I am not sure how many more years I will manage to keep myself employed (just stating it as a fact, not as a problem. I am comfortable with it)

I use an SUV right now - bought 7 years back - which is going fine. But I feel the itch to change the car. My thinking is, this may be the last chance I will be able to buy something really good. After that I may have to downgrade gradually.

I do not want to take any loan. The max I can cash down, including the trade-in value of my existing car, is around 50L.

I DO NOT want to consider the Luxury trio - Audi/BMW/Merc. My family thinks we do not belong to that class, and there are many other perception related issues (long story, - no offense to any fans of those brands. I love BMWs, just that it is one battle I prefer not to pick.)

I do not want to go for diesel.

My priorities are -

- Long term reliability
- Luxury. Leather and all the possible bells and whistles
- Low maintenance costs in the long run
- A 'possibility' of not getting bored with the car even after 10years (!?)

Driving Habits/Usage pattern: 80% city, 20% highways. Chauffeur driven in the city. Self driven on highways. Less than 10K kms per year. We use the second car (a new EV) most of the time these days.

Timeline to buy - Jan/Feb of 2022.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome.

Thank you!
GS300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:21   #44
BHPian

Re: Mid-Life dilemma

2022 is still a long time to go so cannot comment on new launches. But from the present crop of vehicles, I would suggest a Skoda Superb. It is comfortable and also is a really good car, loaded with many features, and ticks the luxury but without being the big german trio category also. The Toyota Camry Hybrid is also another suggestion, it is reliable and very luxurious too, and you get the Toyota reliability, though not as fun to drive as the Superb.

The Fortuner is a great car, but again, I have felt it to be less luxurious than the above-said cars, and personally, I feel it is massively overpriced (Luxury is subjective, please do take a test drive and decide). I cannot comment on how well the electronics on the MG Gloster may age and hence I would suggest you not stick to it.

Either way, you have a great budget to buy a great car, and I hope you get the car that fits your bill.
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mid-Life dilemma

Wait for prices to drop and get an Endeavour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks