Tata Harrier 190 31.05%
Tata Safari 422 68.95%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 17:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier vs Tata Safari

Voted for SAFARI.

I would have voted for the HARRIER if the Adventure Persona variant never came in!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 18:56   #62
BHPian

Voted for Safari.

Two of my colleagues had recently brought Harrier (one XTA and XT+), having driven it around the city for the last few days and my viewpoint is - Harrier itself is a big car to drive around on a daily basis. With Safari being only 6 cms longer and 70k pricier than Harrier, I would rather spend that extra sum and enjoy the comfort of that captain seats/flexibility of the extra seats.
northstar* is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:00   #63
BHPian

Might be the unpopular opinion here, but I voted for the HARRIER.
  1. Personally, Harrier looks much more better than the Safari. It is well proportioned and has a great face. I find the grill of the Safari hideous (like a wicked grin through teeth with cavities ).
  2. I believe that this thought process about the legendary Safari name is an overstatement. The Safari is a legend in its original avatar. That doesn't mean that the name can just be reused on a completely different car and is enough to transfer that legendary status to the new car. In fact, I feel that it is just a lazy imitation game, being played by the manufacturer.

Last edited by SansGT : 25th February 2021 at 10:01.
SansGT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:09   #64
BHPian

Voted for Safari -> the discs in the rear (must have), electric handbrake (absolutely hated that shitty pull type in the Harrier), occasional use 3rd row of seats are my priorities - love the dechromed adventure edition, looks so wicked!!! The AT would be my pick had I been in the market now!
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:10   #65
BHPian

I was in favor of the Harrier, but the recent ad of the Safari with the Adventure Persona clinched the vote for me The colour and black treatment fully masks the bulk, making it very sexy.

Vote for the Safari!
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:18   #66
BHPian

I’ve always wondered why the name Safari evokes the love it does. I never got a a chance to drive it but on a couple of occasions I have traveled in it the experience was less than ideal.
I remember a horror story from around 2009 when we, 6 men, piled into a Safari to get to a hill top in Mumbai’s film city. The driver engaged the first gear and sat on the accelerator till we reached the top. The only other time I have seen something like this is in the 80s in Himalayas where bus drivers would do that on a particularly steep climb. I remember being out gunned by Premier Padmini kaali-peeli taxis on that drive.
Nostalgia is great but reserve it for something better. No?
MadinMumbai is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

Thank you for the thread, Aditya. I am sure the tempting >=100,000 difference would definitely confuse buyers if they had to choose between the Harrier and Safari.

Tata just made the sexiest SUV of the year!
TATA just changed the buyers dilemma from "Which SUV to buy?" To "Which Tata SUV to buy?"

The Safari branding was a marketing masterstroke no matter what purists say. Jist like you, the adventure persona fixes all the issues I had with the new Safari
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:48   #68
BHPian

Voted for Harrier. Practical choice between the two.
Old 25th February 2021, 10:52   #69
BHPian

Although I cannot buy either of these (they are both too big and won’t fit into my tight apartment parking. My current car only fits because my parking neighbour has a small car), I still voted for the Harrier because:

- I like the looks better than the Safari

- I don’t need 7 seats

I have a question for those who don’t like the Electronic Parking Brake - why? I have it in my car and it is so convenient. No driving for a while and realising that you forgot to turn off the parking brake - it automatically turns off when you get off the P mode.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:33   #70
BHPian

No two ways here, voted for the Safari!

Tata has done an excellent job in terms of pricing vs. the Harrier and I won't mind spending that extra bit for that 3rd row. Although I might not end up using it 90% of the times, the 10% more than makes up for the little premium I'll be required to pay.

Additional kit like the connected car technology is a definite plus. Still left wanting for that elusive 4X4, especially since the platform already supports it. For someone like me who tours a lot, its the icing on the cake!
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:33   #71
BHPian

Between the two, I voted for the Harrier. I feel it looks more well proportioned and aesthetically more pleasing, plus the lesser weight, better GC and better p/w ratio.

The front and the back of the Safari feels so different design flow wise. The front seems curvy and the rear boxy, a mis-match I feel. TATA designers could have tweaked the front of the Safari a bit. Whereas the Harrier feels more fluid in design. Also, I feel its not a good idea to borrow the old moniker, when the platform has changed completely from the old Safari.

Having said that, if I had to choose to buy one between the two and no other option, then the practical side of me would go for the Safari.

The marketing strategy of TATA, really makes no sense. Why launch two products which almost compete in the same segment. Given the choice, most people who are willing to spend the money on a TATA SUV, would choose the Safari over Harrier. I only hope Harrier does not go the way of the HEXA, where there is a risk of a perfectly good vehicle getting discontinued after 3 and a bit years of being launched.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:49   #72
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Voted for Safari.

Not a huge fan of Harrier, primarily because it was overpriced by quite some margin since day 1.

Safari gets some of the goodies, which ought to have been provided on the Harrier since day 1, bigger presence, better space and ohh the SAFARI Branding! All this and more at just 80K-1L more? This is a no brainer for me.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:51   #73
BHPian

Find Harrier to be a more practical option and probably easier to self drive around the city. So I voted for that. For someone with longer commutes and someone who is chauffeur driven, the Safari is a no brainer with the captain seats. I am sure the upgrades in the Safari will make their way to the Harrier. Both would probably be excellent cars to pick up in the 2nd hand market given how rapidly the resale value of Tata cars erode.
Old 25th February 2021, 12:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
I’ve always wondered why the name Safari evokes the love it does. I never got a a chance to drive it but on a couple of occasions I have traveled in it the experience was less than ideal.
Nostalgia is great but reserve it for something better. No?
I agree. It only looked butch. Was quite a pedestrian car overall with utilitarian seating and lots of niggles. Tata's servicing in those days was also dicey to say the least. But it certainly had Road presence and heft. If I am not mistaken, the original one was an old school ladder on frame SUV as opposed to the monocoque one this is. So besides the name and size, nothing links the two cars.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:20   #75
BHPian

I have voted for the Harrier. It's sexier, proportioned and more evoque ish. For me the 3rd row, parking brake and larger tyres dont appeal much. would like to have disc brakes which I think are a big miss in a 25 lakh SUV but not the absolute need.

That said I think the money Tata is asking for their SUV compared to the competitors is much higher given the quality of interiors and their ageing, sales and service experience and niggles which one has to live with. I know I am being paranoid, but I will always have a fear at the back of the mind what will go wrong... Am not a Tata basher and owned an Indica for 6 years - so a bit of apprehension comes from that experience and reading reviews.

Most Viewed