Tata Safari 422 68.95%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2022, 22:53   #121
BHPian

Re: Urgent help to make a purchase decision | Safari vs Harrier vs Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I need to replace my 5 year old Renault Captur. I wish to stick to diesel cars. It seems April 2023 onwards BS 6.2 norms will be implemented. I am worried will it further decrease the fun factor of diesel engine and of course price is expected to be increased.

My options seems to be very limited. Since its December, companies are giving good deals. I have shortlisted Tata Safari> Harrier and Jeep compass Limited>Night eagle.
Tata has upcoming facelift but they will be coming with new updated diesel engine. So should I wait or buy a Jeep Compass?

I have also considered Mg Zs EV and Kona Face lift (yet to launched).
Diesel engines are so fun to drive. There is no match for the torque, grunt and fun these brings to the vehicles. However, buying these engines at this time, and even in future is not recommended considering the emission norms and known/unknown problems associated with the same. I would suggest you to look at the Innova Hycross hybrid or even wait for MG Hector facelift that might bring some improved things under the hood. Personally, all three cars you mentioned are amazing to drive but a couple of them are on the verge of getting a makeover but you can wait till auto-expo for some insights. Whereas, Compass has its own horror stories but still among them, the latter is a much sorted product and fit-and-finish is notches above TATA twins. If you want to save some bucks, go for Jeep this month itself. I recently heard that one can get upto 1L to 2L of discounts on Compass and Meridian.

Div
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 22:57   #122
BHPian

Quote:
I have shortlisted Tata Safari> Harrier and Jeep compass

I had a similar shortlist earlier this year. Also included the XUV700ax7 and the Innova. After my test drives and a spreadsheet, it was the MGZSEV and bought it in March and took delivery on the 30th of Sept 2022.

Good luck with your hunt.
rajeshrajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:02   #123
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier vs Tata Safari

Enjoy the diesels while you can, especially manuals. I know india is moving towards petrol/EV automatics, but the torque rush in 3rd gear in engines like the 1.6 TDI/DDiS 320 is something that no turbo petrol will provide. Would recommend a Compass/Tucson for the nice interiors and great engines, especially the Tucson. Worthy upgrade.
Old 13th December 2022, 14:20   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I need to replace my 5 year old Renault Captur. I wish to stick to diesel cars. It seems April 2023 onwards BS 6.2 norms will be implemented. I am worried will it further decrease the fun factor of diesel engine and of course price is expected to be increased.

My options seems to be very limited. Since its December, companies are giving good deals. I have shortlisted Tata Safari> Harrier and Jeep compass Limited>Night eagle.
Tata has upcoming facelift but they will be coming with new updated diesel engine. So should I wait or buy a Jeep Compass?

If MG is an option than why not the Hector ?

Regards
Diesel
Old 13th December 2022, 15:19   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Harrier and Safari will get pricier with the BS6.2 norms.

Now they are being sold at a fat discount close to 1 lakh. Best time to pick one.

I have both the Harrier MT and Safari AT in the extended family.

If I were to pick one from them, it will always be the Harrier.

Reasons :

1. Looks better (subjective)

2. Lighter and hence faster & more fuel efficient

But be aware of the niggles on the Harrier and Safari twins.

MG Hector is a comparatively better VFM.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:45   #126
BHPian

Quote:

While you did not mention your requirements, stay from Tata, no matter what. Tata's flagship products are decades away from reliability, quality, fit & finish, and ASS experience (Punch, Nexon, and Altroz are different. Please don't look at Harrier/Safari the same way you look at these). Harrier/Safari will most likely take a toll on you.

In fact, M&M (even though needs improvement) is a safer choice than Tata in this segment (20L-30L). Jeep is again highly unreliable. So if you want peace of mind and a pleasant ownership experience - then look no further than MG (ZS, Hector - Hector facelift is on the way) or Hyundai (Tuscon). Please note that Tuscon is worth that extra money since it is a global model.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 07:19   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Please note that Tuscon is worth that extra money since it is a global model.
With a 3 star Crash rating

I feel it's safer to go ahead with a Scorpio-N or a XUV 7OO
Old 16th December 2022, 11:29   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
With a 3 star Crash rating

I feel it's safer to go ahead with a Scorpio-N or a XUV 7OO
I hope you are aware of the various regional testing standards. LNCAP, GNCAP, ENCAP, ANCAP, etc. The Tuscon scored 5 stars in ANCAP (which is a similar model that we get in India). The Euro NCAP score was also good.

Please read through this to understand more https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...0-stars-5.html (Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars)
Old 11th May 2023, 17:37   #129
BANNED

Re: Tata Harrier vs Tata Safari

Bumping up a really old thread just to say that ever since its launch, the Safari has NOT outsold the Harrier even once.

And this is despite offering much more (2 extra seats, rear disc brakes) etc at a minimum price increase.

Which leads me to believe that the Safari name has more baggage and bad memories, than it has prestige.

Gravitas would have been a better name.

Most Viewed