Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2021, 21:12   #1
BHPian

Which AT Compact SUV for me?

As the title suggest, many BHPians might be going through, or must have been through in choosing a car in this particular segment. This being by far THE most crowded segment with a host of options to choose from and supposedly has one or the other option for everyone, or maybe not?

We currently own a 2011 Swift ZDi (2nd Gen) and a 2015 Hyundai Creta P MT and are looking for a replacement for the former.
The Swift has been with us for around 9.3 Years and is still serving great! There is no strong reason in particular to do away with this car as this beauty still pulls like a mad horse when that turbo spools. The car is in top-notch condition albeit the routine wear & tear that comes with the age and 110k KMS on odo. We love this car.

We would have loved to retain this car and probably keep it as a beater; however, keeping 3 cars isn't practical and no parking space either.

However, with the changing times we feel that we now need an Automatic car, especially for the city runabouts and also for those highway runs. Before the Creta came in, the Swift used to even handle the outstation duties and pulled it with a charm. Creta however, takes care of that now. And since we already have a Petrol Manual, having an automatic is kinda necessary is what I feel.

The Swift is primarily driven by my Dad. He doesn't drive the Creta. So basically Swift is driven 50:50 by myself & my Dad and Creta is 100% by yours truly.

Our requirements are as under in no particular order.
- An Automatic. Strictly NO AMT's. No offence to the AMT owners, but I simply don't like them.
- A reasonably heighted car. My parents are senior citizens and hence a low slung car isn't advisable. Our current Swift is the least acceptable sitting height, that too since it has been with us for close to a decade. Hence, this probably warrants an SUV.
- Car having a good safety rating and tech.
- Good looking.
- Fun to drive. Since, we have been driving the Swift for over a decade; a good turbo powered engine would be great. Diesel would be an added bonus.
- Engine type can be etiher. Since turbo petrols now are equally competent as Diesel in terms of power & torque; I don't mind shifting to a turbo-petrol. Although I might have to sacrifice on the average, which is OK.
- Will retain the car atleast for 8-9 years and hence need a more future proof car.

So below are the cars in contention. I am not diving deep into the Pros and Cons & hence will keep it short here.

1. Kia Sonet
Pros:
- Looks good.
- THAT sweet Diesel + AT Combo.
- Safety features viz. the electronics like ESP, TC & the likes.
- Decent fuel efficiency.
- Fun to drive. I haven't driven the Diesel + AT, but the DCT is surely fun!
- Top notch interior quality
- Truck load of features.

Cons:
- Safety. Though the safety kit is sorted electronically, I don't know about the structural rigidity. Considering that the Seltos just scrapped through 3 stars; I don't think the Sonet will do any better.
- PRICE. A difference of ~ 4.5 L over and above the top-end Magnite (cheapest SC-SUV right now) is a tall ask for this segment.
- Rear seat space is just about adequate.

2. Hyundai Venue
This is pretty much the same car as the Sonet albeit a 1 - 1.5 L cheaper. However, it misses out on the Diesel AT combo and a few bling features. Hence, I wouldn't dive much into the Pros & Cons here.

3. Nissan Magnite
Newest in the segment and the hot favourite right now.
Pros:
- Probably the cheapest SC-SUV right now and has a good VFM proposition.
- Looks great!
- Good interior space. Doesn't feel cramped at all.
- Smooth CVT paired with the turbo petrol motor.
- Good on safety features and crash test rating too.

Cons:
- Nissan India's future in India is a bit dicey. I was almost on it's way out, however, it's saving grace is only the Magnite. No plans currently of the future launches by Nissan India.
- Average Interior quality. Heck, my 9 year old Swift feels well put together.
- Nissan service network and experience is nothing to right home about. I have serious doubts on their capability to cope up with this kinda of unseen surge in demand. We have already seen them stumbling with the sales experience!!
- Average ride quality.
- Not so fun to drive.
- Okish feature set.

4. Renault Kiger:
Again, nearly identical to the Magnite and is almost the same car. I have driven the NA motor is found it decent. They are yet to launch the CVT variant which I am interested in.
The ride quality is marginally better than the Magnite which is a Renault forte anyways. However, what bothers me is that Renault has skimmed on the feature set inspite of it being ~ 25k pricer than the Magnite. Atleast they should have retained the safety tech.

5. MS Vitara Brezza:
Due for a generation change by Q3 this year.
Were Maruti to offer this car in their 1.5L Diesel + 6-speed TC, this car would have been in the top contention. Alas! Maruti feels otherwise.

6. Other cars:
a. Ford Ecosport: No doubt a wonderful car and well put together; but too old now. 7 years and still no generation change. Heck, even the Creta which was doing a stagger 10k a month got a generation change in 5 years.
Also, the rear seat is cramped and so is the width. Nothing great too offer in terms of features too.
b. Mahindra XUV300: Don't really feel it's worth the price. Plus no proper auto box.
c. TATA Nexon: AMT. Enough said.

Why no hatchbacks??

1. Hyundai i20:
Possibly this car was on top of our list post the upsetting price by Kia Sonet. But this was another shocker!! 13 L OTR for a hatchback!!
You pay 13 L big ones and still need to compromise on the low seating (our requirement). Hence rejected.

2. TATA Altroz:
Again, beautiful car marred by poor engine + gearbox combo by TATA. When's' the DCT launching? I doubt even TATA's have an answer to that.
Another negative is the low slung sitting.

In general, all the hatchbacks available currently are low-slung; hence, don't really qualify per se. We would have probably loved to own the German hatches (possibly the Fabia), but sadly there's nothing on the horizon from the SKODA-VW group.

We are in complete dilemma since the launch of the Sonet as we had our eyes set on that car and had even pre-booked it. But the pricing killed all the excitement. Not sure, whether investing 15 big ones in a SC-SUV actually makes sense.

Also, our Creta will be due for an upgrade in another 2.5 - 3 years and hence I was thinking whether to pick a cheaper SC-SUV now, say the Magnite and save those bucks and invest in a much better car during the Creta upgrade.

It's been nearly 5 months that we're looking for a car and we're not even halfway through.

Looking forward to your suggestions on the same. Also, kindly excuse if I have missed to point my requirement accurately or list down the relevant details accurately.

P.S.: Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 1st March 2021 at 21:17.
ashvek3141 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 23:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which AT Compact SUV for me?

Basically you have narrowed it between 2 cars mainly The Magnite/Kiger twins and the Sonet/Venue twins. The MS Brezza feels more like a third wheel here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The Swift has been with us for around 9.3 Years and is still serving great! There is no strong reason in particular to do away with this car as this beauty still pulls like a mad horse when that turbo spools. The car is in top-notch condition albeit the routine wear & tear that comes with the age and 110k KMS on odo. We love this car.

We would have loved to retain this car and probably keep it as a beater; however, keeping 3 cars isn't practical and no parking space either.
Yes, The Brezza might be outdated, but I feel of all the options that is the one that will go the extra mile. 8-9 years, I am not sure if the other twins will be that relevant. Not that this Brezza will be either, but I expect the car to last really long. Just like the Swift you love dearly the Brezza has a robust engine and is comfortable. The interiors are nothing to brag about, however things like a fancy touchscreen can be added to make the car more Fresh.

However if long term goal is not on your mind it is the Kiger/Magnite that I feel is more VFM than the Sonet/Venue. If money is not an issue, and you don't factor in the future aspects, go for the Sonet/Venue whichever suits your style.

Few links to help you :

Last edited by TrackDay : 1st March 2021 at 23:08.
TrackDay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Which AT Compact SUV for me?

1. Buy the better car so you keep it for longer! The Sonet is the best of the lot. It has the best engine + gearbox combinations, just the right suspension tune and quality / features. The car is expensive, yes, but totally worth it in my opinion. You already own two cars that drive well, hence it is important to pick something that makes you "feel good" - please read this thread of mine (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)), get the Sonet and keep it for 10 years.

2. Your Creta does NOT need an upgrade in 2.5 years. Spend a little more on the Sonet and save that money by holding onto the Creta until it is 10 years old.

Just killed two birds with one stone . Whatever extra you are spending on the Sonet, you are saving by retaining the Creta for longer. The 1st-gen Creta might be old but - other than features - it is still very competent even by current standards. Decent power, excellent refinement, space & superior ride comfort to the 2nd-gen Creta.

Quote:
I was thinking whether to pick a cheaper SC-SUV now, say the Magnite and save those bucks and invest in a much better car during the Creta upgrade.
The Magnite is a good VFM car for those on a budget. But if you can afford a Sonet, it is a vastly superior choice.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which AT Compact SUV for me?

One more car you should possibly add to your list is the Skoda Kushaq ! The Launch is on 18th March and deliveries can be expected to start from June.
It meets almost all your requirements and also should be priced well for the 1.0 L TSI + TC gearbox. In terms of safety, they are trying for 5 stars and it will have most safety features. Do wait till 18th Mar to see what the Kushaq looks like and drives like. It should be a peppy car (it has the same engine as the Rapid TSI AT, and will probably weigh a little less than that).
Out of your current list, the Kia Sonet is my other favourite and has good build quality and in my experience of feeling and driving the car, I found it much better built than the Seltos. If it were to be tested by NCAP, I guess it would also score 4 stars like the Venue and that would really be embarrassing for Kia that the Seltos scored 3 (with unstable body) while the Sonet scored 4!

The Kushaq will be slightly longer at around 4250 mm length and will have more interior leg space than the Sonet and should be more comfy.

If your need is for a Diesel AT, then Sonet is your best option currently, else if you are fine with Turbo Petrol AT cars, the Skoda Kushaq (or the upcoming VW Taigun) will both fit your bill!

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd March 2021 at 14:04.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:30   #5
BHPian

If you plan to keep the car longer, Brezza should be it (if you can live with bland interiors and lack of features). It is sorted to drive, have a pretty refined and responsive petrol engine, proper AT (even though old 4 speed but still reliable and "will do the job"). It also look good and is well built too.

Kia - I have developed serious apprehensions about reliability and safety. No doubt it looks stunning and have the elusive "Diesel AT" combo, plus a long list of good to have features as well. But, more features means more potential for niggles and more headache, looking at how Kia cars have fared so far (it is prone to issues, both minor and serious ones).

Magnite/Kiger offer pretty similar things to Sonet at a much lower price so VFM factor is irresistible too.

If I am you, I would go for Brezza and have a long and peaceful co-existence with the car.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:20   #6
BHPian

Many thanks for your quick responses guys. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Basically you have narrowed it between 2 cars mainly The Magnite/Kiger twins and the Sonet/Venue twins. The MS Brezza feels more like a third wheel here.

Yes, The Brezza might be outdated, but I feel of all the options that is the one that will go the extra mile.

However if long term goal is not on your mind it is the Kiger/Magnite that I feel is more VFM than the Sonet/Venue. If money is not an issue, and you don't factor in the future aspects, go for the Sonet/Venue whichever suits your style.
You got that right. Actually, I am confused between the Sonet and the Magnite. Head says Magnite, while the heart; Sonet. But like I said, a premium of 4.5 L is a lot of money for this segment in particular.

With regards to the Brezza, I am not quite a fan of NA petrol engines. I even got my Creta Petrol Remapped just for that added Power & torque. Back then, getting a Diesel didn't seem wise as we already had one diesel car and also we had already stretched quite a bit to get the SX Petrol. Hence, the NA Creta Petrol.

Having said that, if the Brezza was offered in a Diesel + TC avatar, maybe I would have considered it, even in the current generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Buy the better car so you keep it for longer! The Sonet is the best of the lot. It has the best engine + gearbox combinations, just the right suspension tune and quality / features. The car is expensive, yes, but totally worth it in my opinion. You already own two cars that drive well, hence it is important to pick something that makes you "feel good" - please read this thread of mine (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)), get the Sonet and keep it for 10 years.

2. Your Creta does NOT need an upgrade in 2.5 years. Spend a little more on the Sonet and save that money by holding onto the Creta until it is 10 years old.

Just killed two birds with one stone . Whatever extra you are spending on the Sonet, you are saving by retaining the Creta for longer. The 1st-gen Creta might be old but - other than features - it is still very competent even by current standards. Decent power, excellent refinement, space & superior ride comfort to the 2nd-gen Creta.
Completely agree with you GTO and yes, I have read this post and concur on the same. Like you said, Probably I should be thinking to retain the Creta longer and divert that money to increase the budget for the Sonet.

Another point is that, we are probably looking at the last crop of 'good' diesel engines. SKODA-VW have already given up on diesels. Maruti's don't know what they're doing! TATA's confused strategy of not launching automatics for the new launches. Only saving grace are the Koreans with their fabulous engine+gearbox options.

For somehow who loves driving a diesel vehicle, I will agree that I have an inclination towards the Sonet D. That turbo whooshh is hard to let go.

Quote:
The Magnite is a good VFM car for those on a budget. But if you can afford a Sonet, it is a vastly superior choice.
THIS is exactly the dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One more car you should possibly add to your list is the Skoda Kushaq !
We already have a Compact Crossover measuring > 4m. What we're looking for is a car under 4m which will primarily be doing the city duties and occasional highway runs.

Quote:
If your need is for a Diesel AT, then Sonet is your best option currently, else if you are fine with Turbo Petrol AT cars, the Skoda Kushaq (or the upcoming VW Taigun) will both fit your bill!
I don't mind a turbo-petrol, but since generally priced very similar to the diesels, it probably makes sense to get an oil-burner. Not to forget the added advantage of good mileage figures. Floor any of the turbo petrols available currently (under 1.4 ltr.) and you're looking at single digit mileage figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Kia - I have developed serious apprehensions about reliability and safety. No doubt it looks stunning and have the elusive "Diesel AT" combo, plus a long list of good to have features as well. But, more features means more potential for niggles and more headache, looking at how Kia cars have fared so far (it is prone to issues, both minor and serious ones).
I too have apprehensions about the same. Even GTO pointed out in his recent reviews about the various niggles observed in their test cars.
Heck, my Creta too had it's fair share of niggles right from the 1st month of ownership. But thankfully, they were handled well by Hyundai albeit with a few escalations and that extended warranted helped too. I can confidently say that I have very much recovered the sum I paid for the ext warranty.

Quote:
Magnite/Kiger offer pretty similar things to Sonet at a much lower price so VFM factor is irresistible too.
Agree.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2021 at 07:55. Reason: Quoted post deleted
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:58   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
If you plan to keep the car longer, Brezza should be it (if you can live with bland interiors and lack of features). It is sorted to drive, have a pretty refined and responsive petrol engine, proper AT (even though old 4 speed but still reliable and "will do the job"). It also look good and is well built too.
No point buying a Vitara Brezza today when its all-new next-generation replacement is coming in 12 - 18 months. The car also feels old & outdated. Not recommended when the OP wants to keep his purchase for 10 years. These are the kind of mistakes that lead to selling a car early & taking a big depreciation hit.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As the title suggest, many BHPians might be going through, or must have been through in choosing a car in this particular segment. This being by far THE most crowded segment with a host of options to choose from and supposedly has one or the other option for everyone, [i]or maybe not?
I think you excluded the Nexon as it is an AMT and that is a fair judgement.
Between the Sonet and the Magnite, I think you have to decide between the fit and finish and the structural rigidity part.

Hyundai-Kia have mastered the art of good looking interiors as well as NVH Levels of the vehicle. From this aspect their cars are top class. While they do have the know-how to make Safe cars they seem to be profit minded and cut corners on the Safety front for cars on sale in India. So like what you have called out - the Crash Rating on the Sonet would possibly be on par with the Seltos.

If Safety is paramount, then the Magnite would be the pick but I think the fit/finish and NVH Levels would not match up to the Sonet. Also do check the Dealer Network/Service Support for the Magnite in your locality since that is also an important thing to consider. Given that this car would primarily be used for city driving, 3 stars may possibly be OK for some but then again that's a call you need to take as an Individual.

My vote would be for the Magnite though personally.

MODS: Please do add a poll to this thread.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 3rd March 2021 at 09:37.
vsrivatsa is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:33   #9
BHPian

Personally, we were seriously looking at the Kia Seltos for our next car but Kia/Hyundai’s nightmarish recent record on brake failure totally put me off. I may not want niggles of any kind obviously but can live with little niggles in general for the most part. And one generally buys with ones eyes wide open so you know what you’re getting. BUT, the one area I absolutely refuse to have even the slightest shadow of doubt - brakes! And their apathy on the subject has been just shocking. For me it completely ruled out the latest gen Creta/Seltos and Seltos/Sonet.

The others don’t have their refinement and plush feel for sure though. It’s all a toss-up. I’d actually say look at the Rapid and Polo which seem like stonking value today but for older folks they may not be as high (for ingress/egress) as desirable. Maybe wait for the new launches in the coming months?

One comparatively less exciting option would be the S Cross. Same petrol engine and gearbox as the Brezza in a nicer package imo.

Last edited by RT13 : 3rd March 2021 at 09:46.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:58   #10
BHPian

Between Magnite and Sonet , personally I would go for the Magnite
Reasons to pick Magnite :
1. Reasonably priced
2. Value for Money
3. 4 star safety rating
4. It is Nissan and Japanese. It should be pretty reliable on a long term.
5. And it’s not Kia

Reasons Not to pick Sonet
1. Overpriced (almost 15-16 lakhs OTR for a C-SUV)
2. I have always felt Kia cars are - More Show than Go (showing off it’s Bose speaker system, Smart air purifier, Virus killer, Shark nose) only boasts about features and tech.
3. If it’s bigger brother Seltos scored mere 3 stars for safety , what about this? (It is also based on K1 platform)
4. It is common.
5. Too many niggles and failures. As we have seen here on team bhp.
Vasanth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Considering all you've got to choose from are the korean sonet/venue twins and the Japs with the Magnite and Brezza, all brands of which have had a nasty history of making compromises in terms of safety on their smaller cheaper cars, why not consider something else? New cars are super expensive these days and I would not be happy plonking 10lacs+ on something that is not safe. Also considering you are going for an automatic, do you really need a pseudo SUV? I understand that it gives a better view of the road, but with an autobox taking care of the gears, do you really feel like you need that view in order to aid your driving? I would suggest looking into the premium hatchback segment instead and saving other road users from having their view of the road ahead, blocked

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd March 2021 at 12:42.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Since safety is important to you, I'd actually take the Magnite. Kia has had one too many issues (substandard build and brake failures) for me. Those extra bling-bling features are not worth it plus, the price difference is pretty big.

If you can wait, the Tata HBX might be an interesting choice that is both VFM and safe, although buying a Tata in the first year of launch is a gamble too.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your suggestions on the same. Also, kindly excuse if I have missed to point my requirement accurately or list down the relevant details accurately.
Thanks in advance.
Going against the popular opinion, I would suggest you go for the Sonet, for the reasons GTO has mentioned above.

Moreover, I would encourage you read my thread (NCAP tests: Things to keep in mind as a buyer / misconceptions about NCAP) as well, and decide the best course of action keeping those points in mind. Wishing you luck!
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Not to undermine fans of the Sonet, but I rejected the Sonet for certain specific reasons when I was scouting for a C-Suv last year:

1. Way overpriced. The damn thing costs 16 lakhs plus on road in Bangalore, for the top end. Quite ridiculous, if you ask me.

2. Build quality and feel of solidity is nothing to write home about. I am simply befuddled with people who say that Sonet is a solidly built car. The door opening test itself shows it to be of light build. Yes, I am aware that there are technical considerations which go into determining "build quality", but compare the touch and feel of the Sonet with the Ecosport or the Nexon or the XUV300, and it is not even close. Touch and feel and overall feel of solidity is very important for me when driving a car, and the Sonet is not close to the aforementioned rivals, in my view.

3. USP and marketing speak of the car is gadgets and features and more of the same. Irrelevant for me, really, and these things do not impress me one bit. Call me old school, but I am much more impressed by the driving experience and solid, reliable mechanicals in a well built and designed car.

4. Diesel AT was decent, but again, nothing to wow me. It was decent performance, but not superlative in any way.

5. Safety concerns about the Korean brands. This came later, after I had already rejected the Sonet from my list. Only reinforced my decision on a post facto basis.

You would be much better off with the Magnite/ Kiger, or the other alternatives mentioned above. At the very least, you will save a potful of money and get a solid value for money car at the same time.
arindambasu13 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:20   #15
BHPian

My 2 cents.

I have not driven other automatics in this segment and hence cant compare. What I have an experience is of the Diesel Nexon AMT for ~2.5 Yrs and 40K KMS. I can say with confidence that AMT gear box its not a deal breaker. Do take a test drive and not rule out this on paper.

My experience with an AMT Brezza was horrible, but Nexon is a different ball game, even in city mode. In the sports mode it is

I have not felt the need to put the gear box in manual mode even once.
charanreddy is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks