Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2021, 18:13   #16
GT3
BHPian

Re: Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Also, I would recommend checking out the old LC and Prados.
There is only one LC 100 on sale in Tamil Nadu and it is priced at a ridiculous 45 lakhs. I am not considering other state vehicles, since it will be too much of a hassle and the additional road tax will overshoot my budget by a huge marigin.
GT3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 19:19   #17
BHPian

I'll give my standard reply on the Montero

I'm very happy with my 07. I have now done 60k in 5.5 years and odo currently reads 135k. In this time, I have had the following work done:
Changed tyres
Replaced suspension bushes
Replaced brake pads
Replaced 1 wheel bearing
Front full suspension overhauled
Replaced Clutch and flywheel

It haven't ever broken down, is comfortable on the highways and at high speeds. Low speed ride on sharp edges is bad.
Handles well enough. Of all the other SUV's I have owned (LC80, Terracan, x-trail), it is comparable to x-trail. It is quite capable off-road.

You absolutely need to have a reliable/knowledgeable garage and a reliable source for parts before taking the plunge.
RedOne is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 23:18   #18
BHPian

Why don’t you consider a Vcross. 10-13 will buy you a 3-5 year old model. It is Modern enough. Butch enough. And with an upgraded suspension and tyres a hoot to drive. With a code6 remap of course
prabhuav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 05:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
Yeah saw that thread. Again vastly contrarian views, owners like RedOne and benbsb29 state it has got good ride and handling balance and that parts can be arranged in 2 weeks.
The Montero does have a stiff ride at low speeds, and as RedOne has mentioned, sharp bumps in the road will be surely be felt. In comparison, a Prado will feel a whole lot more softer.

However, the difference is when you give it the beans. On a TBHP drive we had here in Brisbane, the route involved going up some hills with lots of curves. Following my Pajero (Montero) was TBHPian kiku007 in his Subaru WRX. He was pleasantly surprised at how well the Montero took the curves for it's size and I wasn't going slow. Slot it into AWD mode (4H) and you can feel the amazing grip it offers.
Link to meet (The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive)

As for parts, despite parts being easily available locally here in Australia, I do order them at times from the partssouq as well as amayama websites, as they come cheaper delivered.

https://partsouq.com/
https://www.amayama.com/en

Do ask if you have further questions about the Montero. I've had this car for over 5 years now, and added 116,500 odd kms with doing all sort of duties from mall crawling to ripping away on beaches.

Odo currently stands past 207,300 kms.
benbsb29 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:05   #20
BHPian

My pick would be Montero but it is very rare here and finding a good one will be a big task. Even if you get one getting parts will be an ongoing challenge when compared with Pajero Sport. I've driven a Montero for a short distance and it was great. One thing to note is that it is much wider than most SUVs and parking in small lanes could be a challenge. Other than this I didn't find any issues and it is a nice vehicle. The third-row seats can be tucked on the floorboard and it offers good boot space with two rows.

Pajero sport is equally a good vehicle and the biggest advantage is that it sold in decent numbers. Chances of finding an FNG with prior experience in other towns/cities will be much more with Pajero than Montero in case you need some assistance on a journey. Go with Montero if you find a beautifully maintained one with complete service history. If not, Pajero Sport will be a safer option.
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 22:22   #21
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
I'll give my standard reply on the Montero
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Do ask if you have further questions about the Montero.
Thanks for the reply, always very helpful to hear the owner's view. Which is the better gearbox AT or MT? Also there was a power bump in 2010 to 200bhp, does it really make its presence felt compared to the pre 2010 models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Why don’t you consider a Vcross. 10-13 will buy you a 3-5 year old model. It is Modern enough. Butch enough. And with an upgraded suspension and tyres a hoot to drive. With a code6 remap of course
Thanks for the suggestion. Vcross is too bumpy and I am looking for an SUV.
Old 10th March 2021, 09:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, always very helpful to hear the owner's view. Which is the better gearbox AT or MT? Also there was a power bump in 2010 to 200bhp, does it really make its presence felt compared to the pre 2010 models?
Most Pajeros you see here in Australia are the AT, which shows its popularity.. and why not?! It makes a breeze of general offroading, has legendary reliability and some even retrofit paddle shifts for the extra control in manual mode. The only time I use the manual mode is when descending hills for engine braking.

If you can find one, go for the version with the bumped up power output. While I haven't driven the previous version, most reviews mention the power upgrade was a much needed move by Mitsubishi.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:31   #23
BHPian

I have the MT but given a choice, I'd have gone for the AT.

Mine is the pre power-bump model. I have put in a chip which measured a 165 to 190 bhp jump (using an app). There is a noticeable difference in driving pleasure now and it is more felt in day-to-day low and mid rpm driving conditions; not just while revving in the upper bands.
RedOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 04:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Vcross is too bumpy and I am looking for an SUV.
With an upgraded suspension the truck is much better than a stock fortuner. I was pleasantly surprised after driving it for a few 100 kms.
prabhuav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 02:54   #25
BHPian

With the current scrappage policy also in the scenario, kindly reconsider wisely before investing 1 million in any very old diesel car. Just my two cents.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 11:02   #26
GT3
BHPian

An update:

I have decided to accept the risk and go for the Montero, most preferably a 2010 model with the power bump. Since this is purely a want and not a need I am not interested in other models, except maybe the LC100 but they are priced beyond my budget and no cars in TN. So the wait for a Montero starts and the wait for the E60 530d continues.

In the long run if I don't get a good Montero, I am thinking of going for an used Endeavour or the L322 Range Rover 4.4D.
GT3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:15   #27

Quote:
An update:

I have decided to accept the risk and go for the Montero, most preferably a 2010 model with the power bump. Since this is purely a want and not a need I am not interested in other models, except maybe the LC100 but they are priced beyond my budget and no cars in TN. So the wait for a Montero starts and the wait for the E60 530d continues.

In the long run if I don't get a good Montero, I am thinking of going for an used Endeavour or the L322 Range Rover 4.4D.
I have a 2008 black MT Bangalore registered and passionately maintained Montero. It's a favourite among friends and family, especially my dog loves it because of the space and the places it has taken him.
Sadly, I have to let it go because of parking space constraints and low usage. I tried listing it in the classifieds here, but my classifieds account seems to have an issue.

Let me know if you are interested in it.

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-image0.jpeg

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-img_20210109_165531.jpg

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-img_20210109_162557.jpg

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-img_2630.jpeg

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-img_20210109_165707.jpg

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-img_20210109_162731.jpg

Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero-img_20210109_165251.jpg
antiphyzix is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 07:13   #28
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiphyzix View Post

Let me know if you are interested in it.
Sure I'm interested. But is it possible to get the road tax refund from the Bangalore RTO?
GT3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:24   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiphyzix View Post
I have a 2008 black MT Bangalore registered and passionately maintained Montero. my classifieds account seems to have an issue.
What a clean car you have. Drop an email to mods and they will approve the listing. I think, there’s a different account for classifieds. You need to register separately. Till such time maybe you can post more details here. Perhaps share your email ID.

Quote:
But is it possible to get the road tax refund from the Bangalore RTO?
Ahh, won’t it be too much to ask? You are getting such a sweet car in this shape, just buy it if you are sold out on Montero.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th March 2021 at 08:34.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:28   #30
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
I am not considering other state vehicles, since it will be too much of a hassle and the additional road tax will overshoot my budget by a huge marigin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Ahh, won’t it be too much to ask? You are getting such a sweet car in this shape, just buy it if you are sold out on Montero.
Yes sir, the car seems to be in excellent condition. But the additional road tax will overshoot my budget.
GT3 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks