Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Buy or Hold (Ecosport vs Kushaq)
Ecosport 79 28.42%
Kushaq 172 61.87%
others(please write comment) 27 9.71%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 22:11   #76
S15
BANNED

Re: Buy Ford EcoSport, or hold on for Skoda Kushaq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
While it hints at a different platform, they are actually built on the same platform. (Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue)

All credit for the above information goes to BHPian RSR.

I've already gone through that thread.

Perhaps you need to read post number #55, 56 and 57.

All that RSR has said is that the Venue and the Sonet are NOT BUILT ON SANTRO PLATFORM. because the santro platform cannot accommodate a 1.5 diesel turbo engine.

AND

that he does not have access to the Kia diagrams. And Post #59 says that there are quite a few differences between the two koreans. (no idea how he concluded that, since he doesnt have access to kia diagrams, but lets leave that to another thread)

Last edited by S15 : 30th March 2021 at 22:16. Reason: Toning it down
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 22:14   #77
BHPian

From the posts I understand that you actually like the Ecosport. For some that is enough to go for the Ford. Ecosport does have a significant number of admirers and doesn't seem to be having any serious issues.
I would say go ahead and bring home your love.
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 22:38   #78
BHPian

If you are not in a hurry, then please wait for the test drives for Kushaq to start before you make up your mind. A word of caution, the rear seat passengers will have a bad NVH levels in Rapid Diesel .. (If you are taking a baseline from there). The other food for thought for you is that Ecosport Diesel is just 20K costlier (If you take the Titanium variant) than the petrol variant. So I would recommend to go with Diesel in this case.
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 00:01   #79
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
I've already gone through that thread.

Perhaps you need to read post number #55, 56 and 57.
Thanks for the heads up, I went through the posts again, just to be sure.

Quote:
All that RSR has said is that the Venue and the Sonet are NOT BUILT ON SANTRO PLATFORM. because the santro platform cannot accommodate a 1.5 diesel turbo engine.
That is true. However, I do not understand the premise of this text. You said the following in the previous post. (I've highlighted the relevant bits)
Quote:
The US and Indian venue are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. So much so, even their wheelbase is different, (which hints at a different platform)
To this, I offered the #1 post of that thread which states (I believe I hyperlinked the exact post too)
Quote:
Are the two (QX & QXi) built on the same platform? Of course they are!

Are there differences between QXi and QX even if they are built on the same platform? Yes, there are some differences, not in the platform, but in the strength of steel used for some members.

In all these diagrams, grey represents mild steel. Blue represents high strength steel. Red represents ultra high strength steel (hot stamping).

On the international Venue's floor, Hyundai have used high strength steel in the flat portions also, compared to only the longitudinal members on the Indian Venue. Also, they have used hot-stamped ultra high strength steel in a few places while the Indian Venue makes do with high strength steel in those. The Indian Venue also has the front vertical member in high strength steel while the international Venue only has it in mild steel.

So, the platform of the Indian Venue (QXi) is absolutely the same as that of the international Venue (QX)! The difference is only the strength of steel used in some portions.

Now, that both mighty myths have been smashed to smithereens, there still remains one question. On what platform is the Venue (both Indian & international) built?.................

Clearly, of all the monocoques we have seen so far, the Verna (HC & HCi) bears the deepest & closest resemblance to the Venue (QX & QXi)!

So is the Venue built on the Verna platform then? The answer would be a resounding YES!

Man! What an utter shock this would come as to those who were peddling mighty myths that the Indian Venue is built on the Santro's K1 platform, while it turns out that the Venue is built on the Verna's K2 platform after all!!
I hope this offers some insight into the platforms of the Indian and US Venue. I do not know or understand how it got all mangled up in Kia Sonet. You talked about the platform of the US and the Indian Venue being different, and I quoted the same in my post as well. I merely talked about the Hyundai Venue, both international and Indian & how their platforms might be the same, as opposed to the assumption in your post. Nowhere have I mentioned or claimed anything about the Kia Sonet in my post. Even the article from financial express linked in your post talks solely about the Hyundai Venue, which makes the inclusion of Kia Sonet into the discussion out of the blue, all the more confusing for me.

Quote:
AND

that he does not have access to the Kia diagrams. And Post #59 says that there are quite a few differences between the two koreans. (no idea how he concluded that, since he doesnt have access to kia diagrams, but lets leave that to another thread)
Actually, he does have access to Kia's chassis diagrams, you can find them here (Are Indian Kias different from developed-market Kias? If so, how?).
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 00:16   #80
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I went through the posts again, just to be sure.

You talked about the platform of the US and the Indian Venue being different, and I quoted the same in my post as well. I merely talked about the Hyundai Venue, both international and Indian & how their platforms might be the same, as opposed to the assumption in your post.
How can two cars with the same chassis have different wheelbase? 2,520 mm (USA) and 2500 mm (India).
And why are the platform codes different? QXi and QX?

The length of the global variant is 4040 mm. All hyundai had to do was to shorten the bumpers 40 mm (4 cm).
Why did they choose to take 20 out of the 40 from the wheelbase?
Questions to think about.
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 00:42   #81
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
How can two cars with the same chassis have different wheelbase? 2,520 mm (USA) and 2500 mm (India).
And why are the platform codes different? QXi and QX?

The length of the global variant is 4040 mm. All hyundai had to do was to shorten the bumpers 40 mm (4 cm).
Why did they choose to take 20 out of the 40 from the wheelbase?
Questions to think about.
While I do not know the why behind Hyundai opting to do what they did; from my limited understanding, platforms are made to be scalable— the ALFA platform of the Altroz will be used in the HBX too. Similarly, the Omega Arc underpins both the Safari and Harrier. Will their chassis be an exact replica of each other? I do not know. These diagrams supposedly come from official websites, though not freely available. You need to register and buy some credit to acess them (skip to the last line of the first post). (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)

Hyundai also has a habit of adding the i suffix to the Indian codenames, though some exceptions exist, like the old gen Creta codenamed GS.

Credits: BHPian RSR & travelpanthi

Last edited by rpm : 31st March 2021 at 00:47.
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 05:45   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I've decided to get a new car to replace my Fabia, though it is perfectly running i've chosen to upgrade.
The Ecosport and the Kushaq(besides interiors) aren't much of an upgrade to the Fabia. Especially since they too don't have much boot space and you use your car for highways only.

I'd strongly recommend a lateral upgrade. Since you are familiar with Skoda, the best significant upgrades for you are a used Laura/Octavia or a Superb. You'll get really good examples within your budget.

If you are adamant about high ground clearance then get the Yeti.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 07:50   #83

At the price range mentioned by you, I'm not sure how much you'll be able to get with the Kushaq. The Ecosport would be the obvious choice if you can live with the outdated design aesthetic and the quirky rear door. It does everything well and ticks all the boxes otherwise. But these two reasons were deal-breakers for me when I was considering it, and I've opted for the Kia Sonet instead.
Old 31st March 2021, 08:24   #84

First of all, many congrats. Buying a new car makes us tick so many boxes in our checklists. Here are my two cents.

I have been driving an Ecosport since 2017 December. I have the Titanium + variant. Its diesel and I took the diesel variant because back then, I used to drive a lot , for trips and all.

The car was primarily used by my wife, for her office commute. First, her office trip, to and fro, was around 50+ kms. I am talking about Lucknow. Traffic was decent. The clutch is a bit on the heavier side but then, you get used to it. Now the office commute is around 22 kms, to and fro. She still uses it for her office commute.

The only reason that I had for picking up Ecosport was its tougness. I have had two family members in separate accidents, both in Ecosport and everyone of them escaped unhurt.

Once, a car rear bumped me in bumper to bumper traffic and since Ecosport has a wheel on it's rear, there was no damage.

AC works good, if you are in the rear seat too.

Plus, the constraint of budget is always there. So Ecosport would be the obvious choice.

The only negative that Ecosport has, is it's thick A Pillar. I have to be very cautious at turns.

I have never had any serious issues with the Ecosport.
foadbear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 08:31   #85

For your usage a diesel may incur high maintenance. Naturally aspirated petrol is best. Plus safety concern, you should look at Ecosport petrol.

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st March 2021 at 08:43. Reason: Please do a proper spell-check before posting. Thank you!
baskarv90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the ecosport. Yesterday I spotted an Ecosport S and a Bluish Kushaq side by side and the Ecosport undeniably had a much better presence. Ecosport (I will suggest you the S version) is an already a great all rounder. Feature loaded, looks great, best in class ride and handling, competent motors and gearboxes, and last but not the least, a really good ASS.

On the Kushaq, unless Skoda undercuts the Compact SUVs (Yeah you read that right)this car really does not have any chance. IMO SKODA has really messed up here.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Voted for the ecosport. Yesterday I spotted an Ecosport S and a Bluish Kushaq side by side.
Seriously? You spotted a Kushaq? Are you in Pune or abroad?

Writing off a car based on its street presence is like writing off rasgulla because it looks bland.
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Seriously? You spotted a Kushaq? Are you in Pune or abroad?
Yeah. It was in the bluish shade we have seen on the other Skoda's. Without any camouflage, but with red number plates. Strangely it was in a pretty rural area and I guess, it was being tested over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Writing off a car based on its street presence is like writing off rasgulla because it looks bland.
I am talking about general market expectations. Majority of people spending close to 15ish lakhs and buying a crossover/SUV, want a good road presence.

But that wasn't my only point of writing it down. There's just too many negatives on the product already-

1) No diesels
2) A bit UnSkoda like build and inconsistencies (considering high localization)
3) Many features lacking for the segment.
4) SKODA ASS
5) The infamous DSG making a comeback
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:35   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Yeah. It was in the bluish shade we have seen on the other Skoda's. Without any camouflage, but with red number plates. Strangely it was in a pretty rural area and I guess, it was being tested over there.

I am talking about general market expectations. Majority of people spending close to 15ish lakhs and buying a crossover/SUV, want a good road presence.

But that wasn't my only point of writing it down. There's just too many negatives on the product already-

1) No diesels
2) A bit UnSkoda like build and inconsistencies (considering high localization)
3) Many features lacking for the segment.
4) SKODA ASS
5) The infamous DSG making a comeback
Highly unlikely that you spotted a Kushaq. The Kushaq is not even available / produced in any bluish shade - the only colours which are going to be available at launch are: White, Red, Silver, Honey Orange and Carbon steel( Grey) None of these colours are even remotely Bluish in shade.
If you took any pics, please share. It might have been some other car that you spotted.

Counting negatives on a product not even launched or experienced is too premature!

Last edited by Behemoth : 31st March 2021 at 09:56.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:43   #90
BHPian

For such less usage, petrol would be the best. Since you want a car with a good height, why not check out the Ford Freestyle instead. The Dragon Series petrol engine is a hoot to drive. Even Ecosport will be launched later this year with the same petrol engine. You can wait for it as well since you have the Fabia with you anyway.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed