Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Buy or Hold (Ecosport vs Kushaq)
Ecosport 79 28.42%
Kushaq 172 61.87%
others(please write comment) 27 9.71%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 17:20   #1
BHPian

Buy Ford EcoSport, or hold on for Skoda Kushaq?

Okay team, here is the dilemma. I've decided to get a new car to replace my Fabia, though it is perfectly running i've chosen to upgrade.

Context:
1) I need to upgrade my current car (Fabia, 2009, petrol, 43,000kms), working perfectly.
2) Budget <12 lacs (Previously it was 15 lacs, but reduced because of various reasons, changed my requirements also accordingly)
3) Usage: Very low, say 3000-5000kms per year. Mostly highway usage, for city usage we are depending on uber\ola\bus.
4) Requirements: Must be SUV(thanks to worthless bangalore roads and super bright lights on scooters/autos etc). Must be manual, not too worried about performance or mileage or running costs or resale value. But safety kit, comfort(nvh), reliability, and decent interiors takes bigger priority.

Based on above needs and lots of reading, I've booked Ecosport Titanium diesel and waiting for delivery. After Kushaq's static reveal, I'm in confused state. So, please help me with this poll.

Positives of Ecosport:
1) Proven car with decent safety kit.
2) Mid variant.
3) Diesel power (I'm not a fan of diesel cars but diesel motor was recommended for Ecosport in tbhp and other places as well.)
4) Butch look at back, really cool.
5) Handling, acceptable NVH, sunroof(not a fan, but still)
6) Can have car in next two weeks

Negatives of Ecosport:
1) Old car.
2) No rear AC vent.
3) Less cabin space and boot space.
4) Interiors are just okay, not premium.
5) Heavy clutch (not a deal breaker, as my city usage is limited)

Positives of Kushaq:
1) Skoda brand.
2) Front look, its pretty good actually.
3) Cabin spaces, boot space are slightly better than Ecosport.
4) Rear AC vent.
5) Can have better NVH than Ecosport diesel.(Guess based on my rapid tsi test drive)
6) 6 gears, so cruising will be smoother.

Negatives of Kushaq:
1) Fresh product, not sure what can go wrong.
2) My budget allows me base model only. Base model can be total bare bones, cannot say that yet.
3) There will be lot of waiting period, for sure.
4) Doesn't have that SUVish look, atleast to my eyes.

Cars that i couldn't consider:
1) Korean twins: For obvious, safety reasons.
2) Duster: Cannot live with that interiors.
3) Kicks: Excellent car and package but not sure about Nissan's future in india.
4) Nexon: Excellent car but expensive when compared with Ecosport.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 26th March 2021 at 17:23. Reason: format
ramki.grandhi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:26   #2
BHPian

re: Buy Ford EcoSport, or hold on for Skoda Kushaq?

You don't need a new car right now, IMO. Hold your Fabia since it is working perfectly.
Keep the money aside and go for a bigger car later.

PS: I know...may be useless advice.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If you really need to change Now, then it cant be Kushaq for the budget you have mentioned. I expect Kushaq prices to be higher than that. At 12L, then it would be Ecosport.

ALso because I dont expect the Fabia to fetch much.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th March 2021 at 20:26. Reason: ES -> Ecosport
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends completely on how Skoda prices the Kushaq, if the 1L TSI MT Ambition variant falls in your budget ie. the mid variant then I would say go for the Kushaq. Ambition trim can be expected to have decent amount of kit.

But if Skoda prices it at a premium then I would say stick to the tried and tested EcoSport Diesel Titanium vs the base variant (Active) Kushaq.

Although launch of the Kushaq is a bit far away and waiting period may be long if priced well.

Another option is the Kushaq’s cousin the Taigun but it will arrive even after the Kushaq so that will be a significant amount of wait time.

If you can wait then I would say let both Skoda and VW bring their products into the market and then compare all 3 of them.

But from April some manufacturers are increasing costs again, including Ford.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Your usage is very less - Please buy petrol non-turbo engine car for added peace of mind, very little to go wrong in them.
Kosfactor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
You don't need a new car right now, IMO. Hold your Fabia since it is working perfectly.
I second that. If the present car is working well, hold on to it. Wait for the Kushaq prices to be out. If it suits, compare and take a decision then. If it doesn't the Ecosport would still be there. Also its better to wait and see how Fords future pans out post M&M breakup. If you keep your cars for long, play the waiting game.
400notout is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:45   #7
BHPian

If I were you I would hold on to the fabia for a year or two. If you do decide to get yourself a new car, then ecosport it is. Mostly because kushaq will be a new launch, chances of niggles are high compared to tried and tested ecosport. Since you'd be using it on highway, do consider NA petrol too. Your usage is very less so it is hard to justify the premium you would pay for a diesel mill. Just my two cents.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:49   #8
KPR
BANNED

Voted Others. I doubt if Ecosport can give upgrade feel over Fabia. No wonder TDCI of Ford is a good engine and as such Ecosport is a great car. But if you're looking for an upgrade for the money you spend then look beyond Compact SUVs as in one aspect or the other you've to compromise on CSUVs. So my suggestion to you is Petrol MT Zeta variant of SCross and on road may cost a lakh less than your 12L budget. I've always liked S Cross for the practicality it offers and presumably better built car of MS.

Last edited by KPR : 26th March 2021 at 17:51.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted others.

By others, I meant that you hold on to Fabia and do another year. You sell the Fabia today or the next year, it doesn’t really make a difference in the money. And with the running being what you said, the Fabia should work I guess.

You may get to a higher budget after a year and you will have options to choose then.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:10   #10
BHPian

With lots of respect, guys, I've decided to change car. That is why I've already booked Ecosport. I've no confusion towards buying or not buying, confusion is about "buy or hold". Honestly my Fabia can run another 10 years easily, but that's not the point. I've been postponing new car upgrade from 2019 onwards because of same reason, and i think it is the time! :-)

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 26th March 2021 at 18:11. Reason: grammar
ramki.grandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:10   #11
BHPian

Voted Kushaq. I would recommend 1.0 TSI MT variant. It has the same engine as in Rapid I beleive and is tried and tested one. The interiors are good compared to Ecosport. It looks like a proper SUV, and has better interiors and space. Skoda is also opening many new showrooms and service centers all over India. I am guessing it would return around 16-17 kmpl on highway. Skoda SA showed me WhatsApp chats of Rapid customers when I went to check out Onyx variant, few of the customers managed to get 21 kmpl on highway.

Ecosport diesel is a fun to drive vehicle, but I heard many reports of interior quality issues in 2021 model. For your usage Diesel doesn't make any sense. It also looks pretty much outdated and is in need of a facelift. However, maintenance would be less compared to Skoda. Spares and regular service, Skoda charges a bomb.

Best of luck.

Note - XUV300 P MT is also very competent one (apart from the boot space). Low maintenance, highest torque in it's segment, M&M vehicles are cheap to maintain, 5* GNCAP rating, top end variant is feature loaded, has good resale value and they have many touch points for sales and services all over India. Do not even touch the AMT with a 50 feet stick. Stay away from M&M AMT's.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Note - XUV300 P MT is also very competent one (apart from the boot space). Low maintenance, highest torque in it's segment, M&M vehicles are cheap to maintain, 5* GNCAP rating, top end variant is feature loaded, has good resale value and they have many touch points for sales and services all over India. Do not even touch the AMT with a 50 feet stick. Stay away from M&M AMT's.
Actually, I didn't even try XUV300 because of following reasons:
1) Boot space
2) W8 doesn't get safety features like ESP, HLA etc. W8(o) is expensive for me.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:26   #13
AZT
BHPian

Since usage is less and that too mostly highway why not look at the Honda City base model. You mentioned Uber / Ola for bangalore roads so don't let that be the decider.

It's over 12 though but I'd say give it a test drive if you can stretch a bit.
AZT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:26   #14
S15
BANNED

I have a polo 1.2 mpi, and I wouldnt even consider an ecosport today. Its just not big enough of an upgrade.
S15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

I will stay away from Kushaq at least for a year to see what niggles are there and how Skoda manages these. Skoda's reliability and after sales reputation is nothing to write home about, and I personally feel that they have a long way to go before they reach the levels of reliability and ease of maintenance that I would like. So, unless you are in a hurry, wait for at least a year before booking Kushaq . Otherwise, the Ecosport remains a solid option.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th March 2021 at 18:41.
arindambasu13 is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks