Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 11:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car for a large-sized dog (Great Dane)?

The Renault triber has fantastic interior space management. Other options below the 20 lakh slab would be the Ertiga or a used Innova. One question I want to put out there to dog owners since I don't have experience, wont the pet sit across the seats as shown here ? Or do they get restless and need to move around all the time ?

Which car for a large-sized dog (Great Dane)?-dogs.png
Image source: google image, great Dane in third row
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:19   #32
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The Renault triber has fantastic interior space management. Other options below the 20 lakh slab would be the Ertiga or a used Innova. One question I want to put out there to dog owners since I don't have experience, wont the pet sit across the seats as shown here ? Or do they get restless and need to move around all the time ?
You are correct. Pets do sit across the seat. They have to be secured too. Most pets move around but a GD may not be able to given the size and height. Also, they do get restless but its for a short while. Under no circumstances should the pet be in the boot or with seats folded down unless you have a way of securing him/her.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:21   #33

I have a Lab (slightly larger than the usual size of that breed) and she is happy travelling in our Fortuner. She moves between the middle row and rear set depending on when she wants to keep head out of the window ��
int3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The safest way for large dogs is using something known as a pet Hammock. This is a type of Liner which is fitted either in the boot or between the First row and second row seats.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.in/PetsUp-Dog-Sea...&tag=toimsp-21

This is also padded and keeps the dog safe from all sides and also protects the car and seats too. This is the safest alternative. This can be put either on the second row of seats or on the third row seat space, if large enough for the dog. This also prevents the dog from falling and hurting themselves in case of sudden braking. I for one found it impossible to put any seat belt on my Lab when in the car, as he would just hop out. Though I would tie his harness to the rear seat headrests to stop too much forward motion, but he was very powerful and even that would not hold him much. Maybe using something like the Isofix mounts would work better.

Last edited by Behemoth : 14th April 2021 at 11:35.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:39   #35
BHPian

I have a 6 year old Great Dane too, and trust me, SUVs are a bad choice. I tried taking my dog in my Duster and I have to drive very very slowly because she tends to lose balance.

I picked up an old Skoda Octavia for a song and removed the rear seats. She's much more comfortable in it. Lower CG helps a bit because she's a big dog. Higher CG tends to push her off balance at the slightest turns.

I'd suggest, if it works for you, buy an old-ish car and remove the seats and probably put in a dog bed or something for cushioning.

This I'm suggesting assuming the car is exclusively for the doggo. If the car has to double up for family, then I'd suggest an MUV.

Last edited by vishwasvr : 14th April 2021 at 11:41.
vishwasvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:10   #36
BHPian

I've a 5 year old Rottweiler and a Bolero for a ride. Though he is not as huge as your GD but he requires space almost as much as 1+ adult. I've completely removed my last row seats and he is ok with doing short runs in there. For long trips I've a waterproof car hammock for pets (link below), another trick I got off a pet boarding guy who used to ferry all kinds of dogs to and fro from his boarding, was to give the dog a large chew bone which he'll be busy with almost the entire journey and won't bother anyone at all mostly. I've tried this hammock+ chew bone combo on a BLR-LKO 2000km trip twice and he was comfortably busy with his new found love . The AC was mostly at full blast to keep him kool along with food/ bio breaks as and when required to stretch. So if you get a +size SUV like the new Safari or new upcoming XUV700 or a used Fortuner in your budget, you should be good. Hope this helps!

PS:https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not able to find the link for the large bone in Amazon :(
Needless to mention whatever ride you get, you've ride subtly so as to keep occupants sane.

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 14th April 2021 at 12:16.
Old 14th April 2021, 12:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Dear friends, I have a large sized dog. To be precise, a Great Dane(think scooby doo). My present car is a hatch. I am thinking of upgrading/getting a second car so as to accommodate him on our trips.
Note-I have considered the V cross and rejected it as I do not want to expose the pet to weather.
I'm answering this purely based on Scooby's needs and not your needs to own a cool/fast car
Large dogs are prone to knee issues and may find it hard to climb up, as they age. (some require TPLO surgery for instance). Getting in through the rear doors and orienting the body once inside may be painful. Getting in through the tail gate is ideal. So a large and low ingress is better. In other words, vans like ertiga/xl6, innova and marazzo.

If you haven't done so already, may I suggest that you go through the recent trips where you felt the need for a bigger car? Sort them into quick drives to nearby parks, vets etc. vs. planned 8 hour drives to a resort etc.

If it is more of the former, get a practical city car - something like an ertiga/xl6, or even an older Jazz with foldable rear seats. Easy on the pocket too.

If it is more of the latter - i.e., more planned trips where you probably spend time looking for hotels/resorts that are pet-friendly, can you also book a zoomcar in advance? If not, get an innova or marazzo as your budget allows.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:44   #38
BHPian

Some people have quoted my thread here so I thought I might as well respond

We have 2 beagles, a retriever and a Dane. She’s a big girl but getting on in life (she’s 11 now) and because she was adopted at 3.5, she was never used to being in a car so she’s very nervous.

We’ve picked up the Hector Plus 6 seater for them essentially. We haven’t done any long trips with them yet but there are two spots that are perfect for her. The third row is just right because it’s long enough for her to lie down and when you move the second row all the way back, it leaves a very tiny gap between the two so she can’t fall over/off. In addition it has two dedicated AC vents - one on each side, so your pup will always get a direct breeze.

One other thing which swung our decision was that the floor between the first and second rows is absolutely flat. With the second row moved back completely and the first row moved slightly forward there is a nice big space for a large dog to either lie down or stand up when he/she feels like. This is a real boon for big dogs with hampered mobility (our Retriever has hip displasia and arthritis to go with an auto immune condition that hampered mobility).

Over and above which, the third row folds down totally flat to provide a huge boot if you prefer that for him. Having said which, I think the full seat is always the best thing for a large pupper.

As a pup he will adapt quickly to any configuration you give him.

Absolutely loving the ride quality. The fact that it’s a petrol, to go with that interior, means the cabin is wonderfully insulated and quiet (a good thing for dogs imo). Did a 140 km drive yesterday and it was so steady and easy - we are sure we made absolutely the right choice.

Cheers,

Last edited by RT13 : 14th April 2021 at 12:50.
RT13 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:47   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Pre-owned Hexa.
2) V- Cross with luggage bay covered into box shape. Is an available accessory.
3) Pre-owned ML250, GL350
4) .... Nah nothing else really.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:10   #40
BHPian

Thoughtful of you to think about your dog while considering a car. I have seen so many people having pet dogs but never ever considered their comfort while purchasing a car.

We had a Labrador (died last to last year at the age of 16). We had three cars at our place i.e., a Previous Gen Innova, a Ford Fiesta and an Indica. Whenever we used to travel as a family, we always used to fold down one of the middle seats of the Innova and place a dog bed over there. He used to be comfortable in that bed. After a few minutes of resting, he used to get up and move around and since it was the middle seat which was folded down, he had a good amount of space to move around. Yes, i know the size difference between a Lab and a Great Dane is a lot, but its still a suggestion.

We used to transport him in the Fiesta or the Indica if there were 3 or less than 3 people travelling. We again used to place the dog bed on the middle seat and he used to be comfortable but not as comfortable as the Innova.

Thus, i would recommend you to buy a car with 3 rows of seats, Preferably an Innova (coz of the Ride Quality). Just fold one of the middle seat and keep him there. That way even people sitting in the 3 row can have lots of space. We have done trips of more 1000 kms/day in the Innova with him and he never faced any issues.

Hope it helps.
Sounak04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the MG Hector/Hector Plus. The Hector has a bigger boot at 587 litres vs 530 of Hector Plus. But both seem pretty accommodating for your dog. Other option I can think of is, Renault Triber (625 litres) (If you wish to save some Moolah)
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
I would still suggest a V cross, put a large removeable / fixed canopy and the weather can be taken care of (the rear glass can be replaced with a slider to connect both parts of the cabin for AC with an added fan)

The pet can have a much larger room to play around in and the cabin would be free as well. Plus from a safety point too you can put up matrasses etc (plus dedicated tether points too) . I think the pet would weigh a lot too to make him sit on top of folded seats.
That was my first option till I scouted around for fabrication options. Was horrified by the complaints and decided it's not worth the hassle. Also, my family of 4 six footers may not be comfortable in the twin cab, so discounted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
I don't think I agree with most of the options given here. I have a 11 month Golden and although he is nowhere near the size that your GD will be, I think it is imperative for you to consider fastening him up on those drives. The options that are mentioned here involve you folding down the backseat and providing space. In the event of sudden or emergency braking, the living thing becomes a projectile and will inevitably get hurt. I experienced this the hard way when I was rear ended and my boy experienced the laws of physics. Freedom of movement is not something you should focus on for him because that will simply mean he will hit the seat with more momentum (Worst case scenario). Dogs get restless yes but after being restrained for some time they will adjust and they have to for your safety and his. Full fledged SUVs, car seat cover and a dog seat belt should suffice. I've been very lucky to have gotten a boy who loves long drives and will simply either snooze off or just patiently sit and look outside (windows closed). Maybe try that with the Safari or the Harrier or something in that range. I am able to make do with my City
Great point made, I did not consider this facet at all. Let me see how best to tackle it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
I think the XUV500 should meet your requirement adequately, with the 3rd row seats permanently collapsed.
Yes, am considering it, as I mentioned before, I didn't think that the length would be enough but will try it out seeing the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
How about the Ertiga? Its 3rd row folded flat could be useful. An AT version means you can check on him from time to time while driving in a hassle free manner. That is an important aspect regardless of the car you choose. You dont want to be struggling with clutch/ gear and a complaining doggie at the same time.
Yes, it has to be an at. But isn't the ertiga an amt? Am checking out the xl6
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post

Yes, it has to be an at. But isn't the ertiga an amt? Am checking out the xl6
No it is a 4-speed Torque convertor AT, ancient but good enough for the purpose I suppose. It also has ESP as an additional safety benefit.
Old 14th April 2021, 15:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Some people have quoted my thread here so I thought I might as well respond

We have 2 beagles, a retriever and a Dane. She’s a big girl but getting on in life (she’s 11 now) and because she was adopted at 3.5, she was never used to being in a car so she’s very nervous.

We’ve picked up the Hector Plus 6 seater for them essentially. We haven’t done any long trips with them yet but there are two spots that are perfect for her. The third row is just right because it’s long enough for her to lie down and when you move the second row all the way back, it leaves a very tiny gap between the two so she can’t fall over/off. In addition it has two dedicated AC vents - one on each side, so your pup will always get a direct breeze.

Did a 140 km drive yesterday and it was so steady and easy - we are sure we made absolutely the right choice.

Cheers,
Came across your thread after it was pointed out to me earlier. Wonderfully nuanced. Will definitely keep in mind especially as you have, so to speak, been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
I'm answering this purely based on Scooby's needs and not your needs to own a cool/fast car
Large dogs are prone to knee issues and may find it hard to climb up, as they age. (some require TPLO surgery for instance). Getting in through the rear doors and orienting the body once inside may be painful. Getting in through the tail gate is ideal. So a large and low ingress is better. In other words, vans like ertiga/xl6, innova and marazzo.

If you haven't done so already, may I suggest that you go through the recent trips where you felt the need for a bigger car? Sort them into quick drives to nearby parks, vets etc. vs. planned 8 hour drives to a resort etc.

If it is more of the former, get a practical city car - something like an ertiga/xl6, or even an older Jazz with foldable rear seats. Easy on the pocket too.

If it is more of the latter - i.e., more planned trips where you probably spend time looking for hotels/resorts that are pet-friendly, can you also book a zoomcar in advance? If not, get an innova or marazzo as your budget allows.
1. I agree completely, I think all the recommended options point to rear ingress/egress.
2. I had an old generation jazz and have a new one presently. Have already tried to keep the puppy after folding the rear seat flat. It works for now. The old one was better as it used to fold flat besides having a split in the rear seat. However, I do not think, this will suffice once he grows up (and they grow mighty fast).
3. With the present lockdown, am constrained in going out and check cars in person, push coming to shove, maybe will go the zoomcar way for the first few trips.
4. We love to travel out together on road trips, hence comfort(for all 5) is the primary consideration. Hence, yes, it has to be 3 rows, third for the pooch.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 14th April 2021 at 15:33.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

One option that might be good would be the Ertiga. While I am not so sure about the height at the rear folding down or removing the third row of seats should give enough room for the dog. Plus given that it is a monocoque it would be better for the dog with respect to car sickness. Or if you prefer the dog can sit across the third row as well when you have luggage in the back on trips etc.

I test drove an automatic XL6 recently and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to drive. The Ertiga is the same platform, just that it's a seven seater with a bench in the second row. The XL6 has captain chairs in the second row, so seats 6.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 14th April 2021 at 15:38.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks