Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Buying a Used Mahindra Alturas G4 | Makes sense?

Should we consider the Mahindra Alturas, considering the news that it may be phased out this year? I guess it should be available with huge discounts once it is officially discontinued. Would it make a smart purchase factoring in the discounts. There seems to be very less discussion of the Alturas in this forum. To my eyes, it looks a value deal considering the price hikes of the Endeavour and Fortuner. Can others please throw in your thoughts?

Last edited by Sheel : 30th April 2021 at 10:56. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please. Thank You.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a Used Mahindra Alturas G4 | Makes sense?

What you will gain in discounts, you would lose twice the amount in resale.
Stay away from slow sellers.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:30   #3
BHPian

re: Buying a Used Mahindra Alturas G4 | Makes sense?

Rightly said by abhishek46. However we buy a car to use and experience it, rather than think about its resale value. If the product is well built, fits your needs and service w.r.t. spare part availability/ costs is good then look no further.

However when we talk about the Alturas, the service offered by M&M dealers is patchy, M&M did not build the car so diagnosing problems/issues takes time. Also they did not sell many, hence workshops have less experience working on it.

Once a product is discontinued it puts a big question mark spare part availability, Since the Alturas didn't sell well, You might find it had to procure parts, even aftermarket. I do not know how much M&M would invest in inventory for a car that didn't do well.

Lastly what may seem a good deal now may turn into a bad experience later. Rather tell us your budget & requirements and buy something that sells well.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2021 at 20:54. Reason: As requested
Y@SH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:18   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a Used Mahindra Alturas G4 | Makes sense?

Buy only if the price is too tempting and the depreciation very high, there is a good Mahindra dealer close to you, you know a good independent garage, are ready for some downtime and can source parts yourself / online if needed. Bonus points if you live in a big city as it's far easier to maintain premium cars in Bombay than Nashik (as an example).

Avoid if the available examples are too expensive (currently the case on OLX) and you are looking for a fuss-free ownership experience.

While the Alturas G4 is competent, I would personally pick an Endeavour over it, even if the same price gets me an older Endeavour (but current gen). I would also consider a new Safari, next-gen XUV500 (XUV700) or new-or-used Hyundai Tucson instead of a used Alturas G4.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2021 at 07:16.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Avoid if the available examples are too expensive (currently the case on OLX) and you are looking for a fuss-free ownership experience.
When you say avoid if too expensive, what should be the ideal price for a well maintained 30K driven 2019 Alturas G4 4x4?

The OLX prices are quoted at 27-28L, which IMO is absurd. Should 20L be the ideal price for the said model?
Old 1st May 2021, 13:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest that you opt for a better selling SUV in the same niche whse spares and service would not be a problem. For such models like the Alturas, spares could be especially tough to get.

Some mechanicals and electricals may be common with other Mahindras, but the cosmetic spares are the ones that create the maximum problems in procurement, once a model is discontinued. Moreover, this one has hardly sold and is difficult to sight.
Old 27th October 2021, 13:11   #7
BHPian

Does below offer make sense: is it worth consideration...???

Received quote for brand new Alturas G4 / 4x4:

Ex-Showroom: 28.80
RTO & Registration.: 1.20
Compr. Insurance: 0.90
TCS 1%: 0.30
Incidental: 0.05

On-road: 31.25 Lacs
Jeeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 09:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Does below offer make sense: is it worth consideration...???

Received quote for brand new Alturas G4 / 4x4:

Ex-Showroom: 28.80
RTO & Registration.: 1.20
Compr. Insurance: 0.90
TCS 1%: 0.30
Incidental: 0.05

On-road: 31.25 Lacs
Hi, I'm bit confused about the quotation you got, are you sure it's the 4WD variant? To my little research before plunging into I found in pan India the Ex-showroom price for 4WD 31.77 and for the 2WD is 28.77. Whatever offers are there will be applied over the on-road price. I'm attaching one for the reference, though the negotiations are going accross several showrooms in Kolkata.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Mahindra Alturas G4 | Makes sense?-20211114_233748.jpg  

T2luvroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:44   #9
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade with a budget of up to 35 to 40 L. I am considering compass but fellow bhpians suggested to checkout Alturas as well. I am concerned about the long-term continuity of support for this vehicle. As per media reports once the CKD units are exhausted it would be discontinued. Would appreciate your views and insights? Thanks.
Old 18th November 2021, 10:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
... fellow bhpians suggested to checkout Alturas as well. I am concerned about the long-term continuity of support for this vehicle.
Alturas was a rebadged Rexton. Mahindra has been trying to dispose the bankrupt SsongYang unit, and the relationship is pretty much dead. Why take a risk at this point ? Even otherwise, with the low sales it had, the model would see end of life.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Don't fall for the Alturas however tempting it may be. It's out of production and a rarity when it was on sale. M&M service even with their own products is hit or miss. Take a joy ride/drive and forget about it.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks