Body-on-frame SUVs like the Fortuner / Endeavour 110 29.18%
Other (please specify in your post) 13 3.45%
Voters: 377. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Citroen C5 Aircross vs Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson vs others

Voted for Body on frame SUVs(Endeavour)

As an EcoSport owner, Jeep compass is an ideal upgrade but the price is dangerously close to the full size SUV's such as fortuner and endeavor. The cost of maintenance for the body on frame SUV's is very reasonable and are much more rough road friendly.
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:48   #32
BHPian

Voted for body on frame SUVs ( New fortuner)

It is much better improved than the older version with good bhp under the hood. Improvements are in the right area but the price has moved north again by a fair margin but who said buying a Toyota was cheap , it was only servicing which is cheap.

None of these SUVs is sheer value for money but with these body on Frame 4*4 we get the extra grunt for off roading.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:12   #33
BHPian

cannot vote yet, if given a chance i would have voted for Jeep Compass. I own this machine for past 1 year, have been in love with it, amazing performance and ride handling. Did Sandakphu last month, all thanks to its 4X4 capabilities. Also apart from these things, the brotherhood and friendship among compass owners is something that no other car brands have in India! Each region has its own club (like Bangalore Jeep Club in Bangalore) and we go on regular trails together.
travelling owl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling owl View Post
Did Sandakphu last month, all thanks to its 4X4 capabilities.
Hope you'll put up the travelogue on the forum soon
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:26   #35
BHPian

I am in the same dilemma about which car to buy in this segment(20-25Lacs ex showroom).
Heart goes towards Compass but the AT Diesel isn't exciting. Citroen Aircross looks nice and on paper seems great but long term reliability is a big question alongwith the service network. Voted for Tuscon for its superb Diesel AT and decent features list as well as Hyundai's service network. Sometimes I also want to go for 2.7 Crysta Z petrol AT but then I will always compare this with my 2016 Crysta 2.8AT and also wonder if 2 Crysta's makes sense in the garage. Better half also wants to have something smaller than Crysta for city driving though I still feel I can convince her
Mail.atyagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:51   #36
BHPian

What does a SUV mean to you? If it is a comfortable high riding vehicle with enough ground clearance for speed breakers on the way to a mall, any of these will fit the bill.

But if you want to drive 1000km in one day to Sam dunes, air down the tires, engage 4 Hi, disable traction control, select power mode and hit the dunes only the Fortuner will do.

The Endeavour fits the bill too, but has questionable long term reliability and resale. I had the older Endeavour and it gave me endless trouble. Maybe the current one is better.

The Compass you may ask? I did a trip to Lahaul in August last year. The 4x4 convoy consisted of my Fortuner, an Endeavour, a safari storme and a Compass. While the BOF SUVs cruised over the rocks enroute to Chandra tal, the Compass had to be driven really carefully to prevent damage. Inspite of that she sustained multiple hits to the low slung fuel tank and muffler. Eventually they had to turn around after a side wall got damaged. Which real SUV manufacturer outfits it’s vehicle with a space saver? Jeep does.
Also it didn’t help that the Original tires are sedan spec Apollo Acelere’s with paper thin side walls.
As far as inherent robustness in design, the Compass required the glow plugs to be cycled 7 times before she started, the rest burst into life instantly.

But as far as driving aggressively up a well surfaced mountain road, the compass with its low CG was a lot of fun!
ValuableRecluse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:52   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Revealed preference - I have put my money where my mouth is and bought a Tiguan Allspace.

In this choice set, BOF SUVs are ruled out - terrible ride, terrible handling, difficult for my in laws to climb into

The Citroen - guess poor rear seat leg room is a deal breaker for me. I am almost 5’11, but have very long legs and position the driver’s seat where someone who is 6’1 would normally position it. And my 13 year old is rapidly catching up with me on height. Didn’t personally experience it but the reviews were enough to get me to skip it.

The Compass - the decent leg room and fantastic interiors had put it in contention - but the price for the Facelift brought it much too close to the Tiguan post discounts. Without the discounts, or if I were buying on personal account (road tax is 10% for personal purchases of locally assembled cars but 20% for imports and company purchases), I would have gone for this.

Tucson - much too old. Looks even more dated when viewed vs the Seltos. Am sure the next generation would have been a contender - but am not sure about how it will drive. Have been skeptical about Hyundai’s handling - but the Seltos was an eye opener.

The Allspace - Super smooth Petrol engine, great handling, not that large (just 1 inch longer than my X3), great boot space and yes, you can use the last row in an emergency. Would likely have bought the Tiguan 5 seater if that had been available at a lower price.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:37   #38

I cannot vote being a newbie, but will opt for jeep compass if given an option. Citroen aircross is too new to the lot. Though it boasts of a punchy diesel engine with excellent ride comfort, it is too pricey. Body on frame SUV’s have lot of body roll which i cannot handle with.There will also be difficulty to use it for daily commute if you are in a densely populated city. Moreover fortuner is overpriced for what it offers. Hyundai is offering us an older generation car with lesser features. safari and harrier are two good monocoque SUV’s but lacks the fineness one would expect at this price point. Cant invest 20big ones in Tata( in my personal opinion).
compass is one good looking, perfectly proportioned SUV with excellent drive and handling balance. The newer one has all the bells and whistles one would ask for. Downers being its price and the lethargic gearbox.
Tiguan 5 seater when launched would be a great choice, but for now it is compass
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:58   #39
BHPian

Fortuner. It might be a bit rough but is built to last and no real dramas since its a Toyota. Power and performance is good, can carry a family and luggage with ease. Safe too.
Old 4th May 2021, 00:30   #40
BHPian

I voted for other keeping the Endy in mind. It is a level above what I can afford right now, but I think nearly all cars in the list seem to be super over priced for what they offer. Wasn't the fortuner selling at less than 40 lacs top trim only a couple of years ago? The top trim is 48 lacs on road in Bangalore now! Jeep is another optimistically priced car. Endeavor is the only one in the list that atleast tries to provide value for the money.

The aircross rear seats would make sense for a small school van with nursery kids in the back. May be they contemplated and designed a third row and finally ended up putting it in the rear bench.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 12:28   #41
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson: Too outdated in today's times.
Jeep Compass: I love this car to bits but Fiat, what were you thinking with that pricing!
Endeavour/Fortuner: Hey, I'm a tiny guy. These cars are way too big for my comfort. It's almost like a 1BHK for me when I sit in one.
The winner for me has to be Citroen. Even with it's flaws in interior design, everything looks in place. It has a unique look to it and I've always appreciated Peugeots for making simple, drivable cars with no fuss.

MOD NOTE : - Spell errors. Please proof read your post before submitting.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 13:21. Reason: Mod note attached.
Zignor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 23:00   #42

Can’t vote as I am a newbie. Would have voted for the Tiguan Allspace as I just got one a month back. It met all my requirements of a 5+2 seater ( or a big boot) monocoque SUV that’s easy to drive in the city; is super fun to drive; interiors and fit and finish are value premium and justifies a north of 30 lakhs price point, and finally was available at good discounts. Didn’t really need the AWD but the option does offer more peace of mind on long trips.

Compass - Is strictly a 4 seater with limited boot space for my requirements. Doesn’t meet my overall space requirements and is also overpriced.

Citroen C5 - Test drove it and boy did it drive like a dream. Again didn’t meet my space requirements and the pricing turned out to be a dampener. Makes me wonder why someone will chose this over the Diesel Compass 4x4 option that is a few lakhs cheaper and offers better interiors as well.

BOF - a lot of my usage is in the city and it’s going to be cumbersome taking this along and finding suitable parking. Also the new fortuner is way overpriced and just doesn’t offer the premium-ness inside.
Old 17th May 2021, 17:28   #43
BHPian

For anyone who wants to know the capabilities of Jeep Compass, here is my travelogue of my JC scaling Sandakphu. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...p-compass.html (Got Sandakphued! An off-road trail with the Jeep Compass). This gives a sense of its capabilities as a soft offroader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Hope you'll put up the travelogue on the forum soon
Here you go..!

Last edited by travelling owl : 17th May 2021 at 17:37.
Old 17th May 2021, 18:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Back in 2018, we picked up the Tiguan 2.0 TDi.
Today however, given that the TDi is not an option anymore + new entrants, my choice could be different.

My heart would pick the Endeavour in a hearbeat; but given parking woes & city driving conditions, I would probably pick the Tucson.

Here's why:

1) Citroen AirCross : Sounds brilliant on paper - something I was very eager for to replace the Corolla with in a couple of years. However cramped rear seats + lack of armrest are a big downer as the car will be chauffeur driven for nearly half of the time & see family trips.

2) Jeep Compass : Cramped, and over priced though a fantastic car. Would be a perfect upgrade from the S-Cross, but given the various uses & need for something with good ingress & egress this is off the list.

3) Tiguan / Kodiaq : No diesel options is the biggest downer otherwise would be the clear winner. We would use this car to travel out of town, so diesel would be preferred for the longer range & also torque.
The ride quality is livable, kit & build is great, seat comfort too is brilliant. Average NVH and slight step up to enter is a negative but the latter is just about manageable for our requirements.

4) Toyota Fortuner : Expensive, few features, harsh ride, not senior citizen friendly. That being said, it would be a great daily though not necessarily a family car.

5) Toyota Innova : Expensive, and a little on the higher side for senior citizens, and not something I would necessarily look forward to driving around town. That being said, if I were to buy a car to be driven around in it would be the top choice provided there was something more convenient for mom / grandmom at home & for long trips.
Old 2nd June 2021, 21:15   #45
BHPian

I think the Kia Carnival makes a very interesting case here at this price point. You get a lot of space, features, and comfort. It's got decent driving dynamics considering the limitations of an MUV and is well proven internationally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks