Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda City Replacement | 12-lakh budget | What new or used SUV to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK01 View Post
1. Ford EcoSport - Since most of the time, it's my father or me driving and mom at the rear. Your review on the Ford has given me some needed assurance.
2. Mahindra Marazzo - Taxi like image, but fine it's a lot better when compared to the heavily used Innovas.
3. XL6 - Supremely comfortable in the price range, mediocre engine and even bad safety-wise which is a strict "NO" for all 3 of us.

I have both the Marazzo and 2014 City (sold recently). In terms of passenger comfort the Marazzo blows the City away. The ride and refinement of Marazzo are at a different level. The roof mounted AC works very well. At this price range, or even above, nothing comes close of Marazzo in terms to passenger comfort.

As people have pointed out it is a sales dud and there are rumors that it may get phased out. Consider that before deciding.

Last edited by JediKnight : 3rd June 2021 at 20:36.
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:39   #17
BHPian

For rear seat space and comfort in your budget I’d say the XL6 and Ertiga would be impossible to beat. The petrol is a nice nippy enough engine too. I don’t think safety is that bad at all. You could also look at the SCross. And I think the Ciaz is a fantastic option personally. Acres of space and legroom in the back, with the same engine. It makes for a very nice highway cruiser all said and done.

I also think you should seriously consider another Honda since you’re used to it. Tough to get anything to match the ivtec. The 4th Gen falls in your budget too.

And while you’re at it, give the Rapid and Vento a look too, although peace of mind won’t be anything near the Honda.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Between XUV and Innova.

XUV.

If you are a speed demon or you like to drive - you have to find a well kept XUV, its fast , easy to drive and seats 7 in comfort, but no boot space with all seats occupied.

It has McPherson struts being a crossover and independent rear suspension, it wont last much beyond 70K or maybe even earlier if the owner has had some fun with it and will need to be overhauled, Brake rotors, clutch - all have to go. If these are already replaced, can pay more. We sold a relatively not so well kept one at a very good price a few months ago, so XUV wont come cheap. 2015 and above models - top spec only to be considered.

Innova. (old)

You cant rush this car, the engine and transmission is very tractable however not the most refined or engaging experience for the driver. but its very practical, has good enough boot space even with all 7 seats occupied.

BOF construction is abuse friendly, less likely to have any suspension work before 1L, although my friend`s Innova last version at 90K drives like a dog and needs some money to bring it back to shape. The body work would have taken a beating for high mileage ones, the usual clutch, brakes and sometimes the rear suspension dampers maybe worn.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 22:50   #19
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Since you mention this, what exactly is wrong with the City? You could just swap the duties of the City and the Freestyle, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Buy yourself an Ertiga as the family car and use the Freestyle (in a responsible manner) for your need for speed! While the Ertiga is technically not a upgrade from the City, you certainly get more seats and a car with higher seating position which the senior citizens would love.
If you want performance, look for a BR-V/Mobilio. Another choice is a Corolla if your folks are comfortable getting in and out of.
A strict no to a sedan. Would consider using my City since it's 2014 model driven for just 60k kms instead of buying another sedan. That too a used one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
If you are tight on budget, it is not easy replacing the City. Hondas are reliable machines, and if there is not much trouble with it, why not continue using it? It still has a few years left in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Ecosport is certainly a good choice. It may lack the space for 5 full size adults, but the comfort from the seats is exceptional. The rear seats are placed high off the floor and are quite long. This results in exceptional underthigh support. Many people equate Space and comfort. I was one of these. Ecosport helped me understand the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Your priority is rear seat comfort and hence the ecosport goes out of the window. Not that it isn't a comfortable car perse, but when compared your Honday city, the rear bench of ecosport isn't anything to write about.
No Pre-owned sedans. Only SUVs or new crossovers.
I really do have any issues with the City as such. Only thing is the poor GC making it difficult for long drives and Freestyle 's poor rear space. I'd consider using City since it's 7 years 60k kms old instead of taking a used sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
If you're looking at CSUV's, as you pointed out its EcoSport over the competition. Since you're already used to a Ford, The S variant or the Titanium+ of the EcoSport will be a nice place to be in. Only downside is the hard clutch in diesel which needs getting used to. In some places you can get the EcoSport for 8L with sync 3. If your Choice is EcoSport, go for the sync 3 variants ONLY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I have both the Marazzo and 2014 City (sold recently). In terms of passenger comfort the Marazzo blows the City away. The ride and refinement of Marazzo are at a different level. The roof mounted AC works very well. At this price range, or even above, nothing comes close of Marazzo in terms to passenger comfort.

As people have pointed out it is a sales dud and there are rumors that it may get phased out. Consider that before deciding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
For rear seat space and comfort in your budget I’d say the XL6 and Ertiga would be impossible to beat. The petrol is a nice nippy enough engine too. I don’t think safety is that bad at all. You could also look at the SCross. And I think the Ciaz is a fantastic option personally. Acres of space and legroom in the back, with the same engine. It makes for a very nice highway cruiser all said and done..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Between XUV and Innova.

XUV.

If you are a speed demon or you like to drive - you have to find a well kept XUV, its fast , easy to drive and seats 7 in comfort, but no boot space with all seats occupied.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th June 2021 at 08:00. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 4th June 2021, 08:50   #20
BHPian

Since you're ok with a preowned Tata Hexa ( an MPV more than a SUV )

I would suggest you the Mahindra Marazzo

It's an excellent package for the budget tou have quoted. If you can extend by a lakh or two, you can get a very decently equipped variant
Old 4th June 2021, 09:01   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I recently checked out a mint < 17000 KM run, 3 years old creta sx manual petrol on Spinny Bangalore for INR 12 Lakhs. Comes with their 1 year warranty and other spinny bells and whistles. I am sure something similar will be available in your city. Why do you not consider the creta ?
I personally booked a vento tsi petrol Highline as I already have a ford ecosport (petrol, titanium) and decided against another suv. Otherwise I was going to get that beauty home.
Old 4th June 2021, 09:04   #22
BHPian

Restore, not replace

My first advice would be to not sell the City unless it is giving you any issues that cannot be solved. You can go for a mechanical and cosmetic overhaul and make your vehicle look and feel new again. Should cost way less than replacing the vehicle.

Mechanical overhaul can include things like new shocks, brake pads/rotors, bushes, clutch plate, belts, spark plugs, steering rack, ball joints, AC cooling coil, windshield (it can have scratches and spread light even if it is not cracked) etc as needed. I am not suggesting that you replace all the parts that I listed here. You can also increase your ground clearance a bit by placing spacers on the rear suspension and upgrading the tyre size. I owned the 3rd generation City for 10 years and 125,000 kms and the only mechanical replacements that I needed were brake pads, rotors and shocks.

Cosmetic overhaul can be detailing, ceramic coating, PPF or an all new paint job.

You can also consider upgrading the infotainment if you are looking for Apple Car Play or Android Auto, go for new set of seat covers, interior trims, etc.

Still interested in replacing?

However, if you still want to consider replacing the vehicle, the Innova is the only one from your list that feels like a practical upgrade. I would not consider any other vehicles from the main list.

Wild cards

I own the 2015, 4th generation CR-V with 2.4L iVTEC and an AWD system. The vehicle is a delight to use. Parts are expensive but they do not break very easily or very often. Regular servicing will not break the bank like some of the German cars. Larger engine means lower fuel efficiency and also higher insurance premium. If you are OK with all of these, they go for it.

The Rexton seems fine on paper but Mahindra's service is a hit or miss. If you can trust your local Mahindra dealer, it is a good option. But if you have the budget for the Rexton, better get the Fortuner.

I hope this helps. Cheers and happy driving!
mohitchalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 09:10   #23
BHPian

The 1.3 Merc sourced engine on either Duster or Kicks will do wonders. Nissan ain't gonna exit India considering the success of Magnite, but the looks are subjective. But the ride quality and space (Clearly the advantage of not being a sub-4mtr) is unmatched in the segment. You can try getting the Diesel version pre-used Kicks/Duster also (K9Ks are smooth and reliable).

You can also check for pretty good condition Innova if a 7 seater can be utilized for your need.

But I will strictly recommend you to stay away from sub-4meter cars since you are coming from a superior size.
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 10:30   #24
BHPian

Hi SK01,
For Ecosport, rear seat comfort for 2 adults is perfectly fine or great.
However, when we have 2 well built adult, the third one need to be nominal built & you need to decide whether its 2 or 3 adults at the back & how much time they are ok to sit.

I had driven both Ecosport & Honda city (My sister's) to a good extent. If you look for rear seat comfort, I would say City is the best or you can look Jazz or any other Honda vehicles too.
Though Ecosport seats are little firmer & upright, it will help in long drives & whiplash requirements. On the other hand, Honda City seats are well inclined (like sofa) & softer, thereby making it comfortable for short & also long drives.

However, the 2nd priority is safety, this is where Ecosport will come out with flying colours & City/Jazz will not be on par.
You need to take a little bit more tradeoff to choose one. Simple.
Old 4th June 2021, 10:34   #25
BHPian

I don't think you need a new car for the majority of reasons mentioned above. You already have a C-segment Sedan, which itself is a benchmark for rear seat comfort, under 15 lacs. No SUV or MUV can compete with a sedan in the area of drivability and comfort. Ecosport over Freestyle isn't an upgrade. Ecosport has the same diesel engine which you are using in Freestyle, and though I never had any problems with Ecosport's rear seat, it still can't be rated above than City's rear seat. Just use City when driving with your elders and freestyle for fun driving when you are alone. Save your money for something better, these are tough times afterall.
Old 4th June 2021, 10:47   #26
BHPian

I don't know whether others have mentioned this but since you have mentioned safety, comfort, budget of around 13 lakhs and high seating position(I wouldn't call our Indian cars suv) you have the upcoming Skoda Kushaq, it might be just 10 cm shorter than the Koreans but it has the longest wheelbase in its segment, resulting in actual usable seating space inside. I suggest you to wait for the launch to happen as it's just around the corner.

Moreover even better candidate would be the Mahindra Marazzo, it might not have good sales number, but going by our forum reviews and experts it's a very good MPV, very comfortable and no issues. You should test drive and do some search on it too.
Old 4th June 2021, 10:54   #27
BHPian

Considering that you have mentioned back seat comfort and spinal problems for back seat passengers, I would not be looking at any suvs, as they can never be as comfortable as sedans of the same segment! Unless ingress and egress are a major issue, which I doubt considering your current cars!

You have also mentioned that you don't want to stretch your budget especially in these covid times, I would suggest to hold off the purchase all together in that case! Get the city a whole new set of suspensions, bushes, link rods, engine mounts and some good set of premium tyres and your requirement is almost met. And no liability or reduced funds in these uncertain times!

But if you absolutely have to buy then these would be my recommendations:
1. Corolla Altis
2. Marazzo
3. Xl6/Ertiga

If you are worried about the taxi image of the latter two, a bit of cosmetic upgrades like alloys, chrome delete and such would help!

Though I would request you to stay away from Ecosport or any used cars above a lakh kms, considering your requirements and travel with family!

Last edited by IN07KL0484 : 4th June 2021 at 10:57.
Old 4th June 2021, 11:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK01 View Post
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a preowned SUV as a secondary vehicle for long drives with the family.

Presently we have a Honda City iVTEC 2014 model and Ford Freestyle 1.5TDCi 2018 model.

The Honda City has been our long drives companion until the Ford has arrived.
Now we are looking for a proper replacement for our Honda City and that should be a perfect tourer and a long drive companion.

New options considered:
1. Ford EcoSport 1.5 TDCi.
If huge space (for 3 rear seat passengers) is not an important consideration, the Ecosport is the perfect mile muncher for you. You already know the positive mechanical attributes of a Ford being a Freestyle owner. However, let me tell you that the Ecosport has some of the best and most supportive seats in the C-SUV category. Yes, they are not huge and sprawling like the City (very few cars in this segment can equal the City in this), but they are extremely supportive for long drives. I recently did an 800 km drive with two senior citizens on the back seat and they were very comfortable at the completion of this drive. Easier to get in and out of for older folks as compared to the lower seating of the City. For 4 passengers, it has all the comfort that you can ask for. 3 well built passengers at the back is a bit of a squeeze, though.

My current garage consists of the City and the Ecosport, and I am hard pressed to conclude on one over the other as far as overall passenger comfort is concerned (space wise, City obviously wins). The City is definitely more spacious, and the seats are very comfortable, but as stated above, the Ecosport seats are also very good.

Also, I would personally never pick up a car with 1 lakh plus kilometers on the odometer. The mileage is just too high for me to feel comfortable about the soundness of all mechanical aspects of the car. If you are looking at used cars, do not exceed 40-50 thousand kms, in my view.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th June 2021 at 11:26.
Old 4th June 2021, 11:51   #29
BHPian

You should once checkout the nexon rear seat. The comfort over there is to be experienced to believe. I am using ecosport since last 8 years, but nexon rear seats are more supportive, rear under thigh support is better, feels more sofa like.
Old 4th June 2021, 12:00   #30
BHPian

I think you should consider the Creta as well. Great value for money on the budget you have and ticks all the boxes of your requirement. The comfort and performance are pretty good in the segment.

Most Viewed