Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 18:50   #1

Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?

Some backstory:
I had driven Hyundai Grand i10 Asta for about a year at ~1.5k km/month usage, had to get rid of it in 2016 due to concern about structural integrity after an incident (perhaps another post).

Better half is in the picture since 2019 and we have been making do with cabs and two wheeler since pushing the expense of a car due to housing purchase, but want to purchase a car again now given the greater need for social distancing and creature comforts and an ability for easy weekend touring that a car offers.

Requirements/wants:
  • Ex-showroom price 10-15 lakhs
  • Usage is a mix of commuting to work (post-unlock) and monthly weekend trips. Without a car, we have been dearly missing impromptu weekend drives out of town.
  • Having driven small petrol motors, want my next car to be a torquey diesel
  • Spouse prefers automatic for convenience (beginner-level driver). I prefer manuals over automatics. I see the benefit in automatics for city commutes and can bend for a good package, however don't want jerkily-shifting AMTs or rubber-banding CVTs. Would go for Torque Converter which gets high reliability rating in T-BHP.
  • Planning to self-drive now with potentially a chauffeur coming on a few years down when I'm too tired to drive myself to work
Cars considered:
  1. Kia Sonet HTK+ Diesel AT
  2. Kia Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT
  3. Mahindra XUV500 W7 MT
Had rejected Sonet because we wanted to seat three adults comfortably in the rear. Wasn't able to get a TD of XUV500, and of the remaining cars we liked Seltos and booked HTK+ D AT. Loved the quiet cabin experience here.

I was peacefully enjoying the waiting period on Seltos when a Mahindra dealer calls and offers TD on XUV500. While we grudgingly accepted the slightly-stiff suspension on Seltos, XUV500 felt much more comfortable munching through the potholes in Bengaluru and the 2nd row seat is amply spacious, and so is the boot space when last row is folded down. We don't really need a 7-seater, it'd almost always be used as a very spacious 5-seater. Always loved the butch looks of XUV and Mahindra has only made the design better every iteration. Ignoring the loss of AT, XUV was only ~40k dearer than Seltos (before Mahindra hiked the price by ~40k). Mind gives in to heart and Seltos booking is cancelled and XUV booked in its place. The next-gen XUV rumours were around (in Q1 2021) but I wasn't willing to wait months without a car and Mahindra is known for two years of niggles on new launches.

I was peacefully enjoying the waiting period on XUV500 again and Mahindra announces that they are giving a new badge of XUV700 to the upcoming vehicle and that has started to worry my about the resale value of XUV500 and parts availability. Though there are no plans to sell the vehicle for the foreseeable future. Like GTO, I believe in keeping products for long to extract maximum value.

The vehicle had arrived at dealer's stock yard in May, but lockdown prevented my PDI and delayed the delivery. Now that lockdown is lifting up, I turn to the wise counsel of fellow T-BHP members:
Should I take the delivery of XUV500 or look at other vehicles? Are my fears of unavailability of spares unfounded?
chaitanyapramod is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 20:13   #2
BANNED

re: Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyapramod View Post
Should I take the delivery of XUV500 or look at other vehicles? Are my fears of unavailability of spares unfounded?
See, it's an old product now, I agree - but it's still competent. It still offers more features than many offerings, more comfort and flexibility than any pseudo SUV, better performance than any other diesel UV you can buy for the price (Barring the Crysta that's priced higher, and Harrier fans may argue over it, but the 2.2 is a better tuned motor in every manner), and a well proven reliability.

What you get for your money:
  • Very comfortable, supportive, and well shaped seats. Flexible interior with an option of 7 seats. All this with impressive space too.
  • Extremely reliable 2.2l mHawk motor, with really low maintenance in terms of engine and drivetrain.
  • Impressive performance in both city and highways
  • Feature list that is up to the mark for even today
  • Safety (XUV got 4 stars back then itself)

If you like it, go for it with closed eyes, you will love the ownership experience. It's an extremely VFM offering that does very well what it's supposed to do. I don't find any wannabe SUV like Creta or seltos to be any better than an XUV 5OO other than the age, it's your old and faithful dog that will any day prove better than these new fancy puppies (Creta and Seltos fans are free to feel offended over this, they are just feature loaded pseudo SUVs in India with questionable safety standards).

Coming to maintenance and spares, you need not worry of that too, 2.2l block is still doing duty under the hood of the Thar, and at least for coming 10 years; I don't see any reason for a spares shortage.

Since you are eyeing W7, I think there won't be any overlap with XUV 7OO lower trims too - so I don't think there is anything wrong in takignt he delivery. Still if you wish to wait, then you can wait for XUV 7OO price unveil!

Last edited by VKumar : 19th June 2021 at 20:19.
VKumar is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 21:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

If your question is only about resale and parts availability, the answer is that you need not worry about that. XUV500 is a popular model and the next generation model's name will have trivial impact on both these parameters.

On a completely unrelated note, letting go of the AT to go for an XUV manual is a big mistake in my opinion. If moving to XUV means you have to let go of AT, you should not go for it. The lack of AT will have a significant effect on your resale value after 5 years. I also think you have a higher probability of better ownership experience with Kia than a Mahindra. Even after 10 years, XUV500 is not without niggles and rattles. It has a higher probability of unschduled service centre visits compared to the Kia.
padmrajravi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 22:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle had arrived at dealer's stock yard in May, but lockdown prevented my PDI and delayed the delivery. Now that lockdown is lifting up, I turn to the wise counsel of fellow T-BHP members:
Since you have already booked the XUV5OO, just go for it. As rightly mentioned by VKumar, the XUV5OO is competent. The MHAWK engine is a gem of an engine. There can be some small niggles here and there, but thats not going to affect the drivability and get you stranded. Plus the front seats and middle row sests is more spacious than some of the high end cars, mainly because of monocoque chassis. For highway runs it is a confortable cruiser and you will never get tired even after 2 days of driving. All this from personal experience of owning the first generation XUV500 for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Even after 10 years, XUV500 is not without niggles and rattles. It has a higher probability of unschduled service centre visits compared to the Kia.
Niggles are there even in the most expensive Maruti, but it is still the highest selling car in the Indian market.
The XUV5OO is a gem of a vehicle and a much better and proven product than the Kia. The Kia cars are relatively new in India and long term reliability is still a question mark. The Kia cars may be doing well abroad, but what we get in India is not the same, so quality is still in question. Besides the Kia cannot match the space and comfort of a XUV5OO.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 23:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Creta and Seltos fans are free to feel offended over this, they are just feature loaded pseudo SUVs in India with questionable safety standards.
You're right. Seltos' safety testing was also one of the points which tipped me towards XUV500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Even after 10 years, XUV500 is not without niggles and rattles. It has a higher probability of unscheduled service centre visits compared to the Kia.
Right, the XUV500 niggles thread is certainly worrying. However I see fewer reports from the more recent XUV500s. That could be attributed to either the learnings from earlier dispatched vehicles or perhaps the new ones haven't aged enough to show their problems.

Thanks a lot, VKumar, padmrajravi and ruzbehxyz. Really appreciate your perspectives and this shall help me make my decision for my most expensive car purchase yet
chaitanyapramod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 00:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you need it?

Diesels need to run, if you have good amount of running go for it, else get a petrol vehicle.

A larger vehicle that has a bigger engine,bigger tires, more complex suspension etc are going to cost you more every year from fuel to maintenance to insurance and even the guy who cleans the car will ask you more money etc.

The vehicle in itself in its current form is a once a year service vehicle, nothing much is expected from the owner apart from routine maintenance. We have enough experience with several models from 2013 to 2020 when the last one was bought, an easy vehicle to recommend. Still my favorite 3 row crossover, simply because it is still a driver's delight, the engine , the gearbox, the steering, seating position , all spot on for some fun when needed.
Kosfactor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 01:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spouse prefers automatic for convenience (beginner-level driver)
Wont the manual in the XUV500 be an issue for the better half ? If possible do go for the automatic gearbox as that will be useful for both of you. A manual XUV 500 may not be exactly comfortable for a beginner level driver in Bangalore.

Coming to the car itself, the XUV 500 has been around for a decade now. It will feel more aged if you plan to hold onto it for a very long time. However I don't think parts and service would be an issue. Definitely a value for money proposition when compared to the seltos.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:14   #8
BHPian

Hi there. Pinching in my two cents.

I think the reason for your worry is that xuv500 is ending it's life cycle about to be replaced by a new model.

First, the car is a delight to drive. I have taken numerous test drives as well as driven my friends vehicles. This is one of the smoothest 2 litre engine drivetrain combo out there. Munches miles like popcorn. You can plan a pan india trip in this vehicle.

The only issue is that the interiors may not be of the same quality as the Kia. If you maintain your vehicle well, drive carefully and regularly service it, the xuv ages really well. Remember that this car is a highway beast and not an off roader. If you can do this, you will have an enjoyable ownership. As pointed by other experienced members, the engine is on duty in other mahindra vehicles also so spare parts won't be a problem. Out of a Kia and xuv500, I would pick the xuv500 any day. Solid as a rock and better drive. Spacious as an apartment. Better headlights too. So don't worry. I think you should have a good experience. There are many xuv500 ownership threads out there. And all of them are very satisfied customers.

Sure the automatic is wonderful on the xuv500. But then I understand the budget constraints. Just enjoy the vehicle. You will fall in love with what it has to offer.
knrn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:46   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?

Going against the tide on this thread, but I wouldn't buy an XUV500 today. When it arrived, options in the segment were scarce. Today, there are way too many and most importantly, the all-new XUV500 / 700 launch is on the horizon.

Secondly, for your kind of usage and your wife's preferences, you are buying the wrong transmission. I'd go for an AT. The XUV500 has a smooth well-tuned AT and a clunky MT.

You clearly don't need a 7-seater and there are too many nice newer cars you should test-drive = the new-gen XUV, Creta, Seltos (already done) and Kushaq.

Because you keep cars for long, it is most important that you:

- Buy the right car

- Buy the right transmission. I know too many people who bought an MT, regretted it, sold the car at a huge loss and bought an AT. However, I have yet to meet a single person who regretted buying an AT (a proper AT, mind you, not the lame AMT).

- Buy a fairly up-to-date car. XUV500 feels outdated man, especially on the inside.
GTO is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:05   #10
BHPian

Personally I would not compromise on safety for an AT! AT's are most important in city drives where you need to change gears often, if you primarily aim for Highway drives then a manual should be fine. The cost of replacing an AT in lakhs shudders me, especially if the car has to be driven by a chauffeur it makes no sense to go for AT.

My suggestion would be that if you are hell bent on buying a AT then go for a used XUV500 AT if the present budget doesn't allow you to go for a new one.

XUV700 would not be cheaper for sure especially if its a 7 seater and looking at Alcazar prices, it might not be in your budget especially if you are looking for an AT model.

For city rides Kia seltos and Hundai Creta are ok but for high speed highway drives I would feel safe in XUV500.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2021 at 12:52. Reason: minor typo
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:12   #11
BHPian

The later you buy a mahindra car, the better.

This is the last VFM crossover car you can get. Cars like the scorpio, safari and XUV were true value for money. And were robust cars. Coming to reliability and niggles, what they mean is, your cigarette lighter might stop working, or your door might start rattling. Take it easy. I drive a Safari from 2013 and have had zero reliability issues with the car. Modern cars are extremely reliable, and the XUV has had a lot of time to mature.

I will not even say anything about the engine. I will let the XUV owners talk about that. It's a gem and more than that. You will have lots of fun with it.

Wait till this is discontinued and you'll never find such value for money in any other segment ever. Inflation is real.

And what if it's an old car?
it has everything from Apple CarPlay to Brake wear indicators. few features that even the new safari/harrier don't. It's a 70's fighter retrofitted with the best tech

But please get the AT. Even if the wife won't drive it, she won't blame you for picking the wrong transmission. I'm not married but I've been on this forum long enough to know that a happy wife=happy life.

Last edited by viXit : 20th June 2021 at 12:19.
viXit is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

You can consider Creta AT. I think it has softer suspension than Seltos. If you stretch budget for Alcazar, you will have latest cool car to boast! Even XUV 300 has a great suspension, if you overlook AMT.

I would suggest you not to go for manual if you are considering automatics as well. And don’t even think of Sonet/Venue, it is a segment below and smaller than your requirement.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 18:23   #13
BHPian

I'm posting my experience here.
I have driven XUV500 W10, Xuv300 W8(o)Diesel AMT 2021.

1) Xuv500 quality is on lower side if you compare it with XUV300, even the paint quality is not that good and it will show rust in few years (Have seen so many tweets too). Xuv500 will start bothering you in few years, no matter how well you maintain it.

2) Xuv300 was exceptional, even I like the AMT Diesel too. The quality of the cabin is better than XUV500 but again if you see the mid console i.e. AC Controls, it looks outdated and XUV300 needs Refreshment here. Rest everything is awesome (personal experience) and is Value for money car.

Now the question is if I shall wait for XUV700 or not ?

My opinion is if you want better offers then go for XUV500 as its niggle free car as of now and some dealers are offering huge discounts like 1.93Lakhs. Spare parts will be available in the market for more than 10 years from now. Xuv500 was sold in good numbers same as Maruti Suzuki Swift 1st generation. You can find all the parts in the market readily available for that vehicle too.

If you want new looks and better suspension then you have to wait for some more time ( Approximately 5-6 months) and need to spend more money on the XUV700. Xuv700 can come with some initial problems and niggles which is too frustrating.
There is a possibility that you can grab the last units of XUV500 in your town at some discount in case you don't like the XUV700 (after launch) or it's above your budget. Also Xuv500 will come as 5 Seater version after 2-3 years and it will replace the current XUV300.

As of now, there is no news when the new Xuv700 will launch.
It is supposed to Launch in Q2 FY2022 (which I think is July 2021-Sept 2021).
Hope to hear some good news from Mahindra soon.
rpmmachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 20:06   #14
BHPian

The XUV 500 is a capable car hopefully with the discounts on offer it should be a great deal. Here in Delhi I've seen dealers giving huge discounts on the W9 variant, maybe stock clearance but it was going for 18 Lacs on road (about 1.66 Lacs off the market price).

That being said you need to really see do you actually need that huge engine and extra space, or are you simply choosing it because it offers more car for the money.
Also you'd need figure if the better half will give the thumbs up for the XUV in the first place.
A happy wife and an automatic Seltos will any day trump a disgruntled wife and a XUV 500.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 20:40   #15
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Quote:
You're right. Seltos' safety testing was also one of the points which tipped me towards XUV500.
This post is not directed at any of you. I quote these specific parts of your respective posts to establish some context for the post that is about to follow.

I'm sure we all know that the Australia-spec XUV 500 scored a 4-star rating, but let's get into the finer details. I'll be assuming that the XUV 500 sold in Australia is the same one sold in India, in the context of this thread. I'm not suggesting that they are the same vehicle; I have no way of knowing that. I'm just considering a hypothetical case where the two happen to be one and the same.

The XUV 500 scored 10/16 points in frontal offset deformable barrier test, the only test which concerns us in the context of GNCAP ratings. The passenger compartment also lost structural integrity in the test. It got a perfect score in side impact test, but it wouldn't matter in the context of a GNCAP rating because the car scored less than 14 points, making it ineligible for a 5-star rating.

Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?-screenshot_20210620193015.png

In ANCAP, back then, offset deformable barrier (ODB) test had a maximum achievable score of 16 vs GNCAP's overall score of 17 (16 points ODB + 1 point SBR) . It also had a different criteria for overall star rating which is given below:

Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?-screenshot_20210620194039.png

Seeing the text below the table, we can see that seat belt reminder was scored separately from the offset deformable barrier test. GNCAP includes a maximum achievable score of 1 point for SBR and the offset deformable barrier test (max. 16 points) which brings the total to 16+1=17 points we see in GNCAP tests. In comparison, ANCAP had a maximum achievable score of 3 points for SBR.

The XUV 500 back in 2012, did not score any points in ANCAP's SBR test.

Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?-screenshot_20210620193125.png

If we assume that the Indian XUV 500 would also score no points in SBR like the Australian variant back then, its total score in GNCAP would stand at 10/17 which would mean it only qualifies for a 3-star rating. Why I'm extrapolating the offset deformable barrier test performance of ANCAP to GNCAP is because ANCAP's offset deformable barrier test protocol back then and GNCAP's current protocol is pretty much the same. The newer protocol uses HIC15 to assess head injuries, while the older protocol uses HIC36 to assess head injuries. In addition, there are some differences in the lower performance and capping limit for the chest region, but that is beside the point, because the newer protocol wasn't in effect back in 2012, when the XUV 500 was tested by ANCAP.

Let's say we are being generous and XUV manages a full 1 point in GNCAP's SBR. The total score would then stand at 11/17, which is the minimum threshold for a 4-star rating in GNCAP.
0.1 point less and it would again be a 3-star car.

Again, this is but speculation, which relies on the assumption I've outlined in the very beginning. This is not to discourage anyone from buying the XUV 500. I just felt that it would help if I recounted these points here in the context of the parts I've quoted above. I wish OP all the best for whatever car they ultimately end up choosing.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st June 2021 at 13:50. Reason: As requested.
rpm is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed