Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:26   #1

Jeep Compass vs VW T-Roc vs Hyundai Tucson

Hi

I started the hunt for an SUV as an upgrade from my 6-year old Jazz Diesel and all-new City.

I had these criteria
  1. budget 25-28L
  2. longterm reliability & durability
  3. petrol priority over diesel
  4. Fit & Finish. Style. Brand value
  5. comfortable seating for 5
  6. AWD or 4WD (good to have)
After a lot of considerations, I shortlisted
  • Compass AT - 4x4 Limited Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol. The TD was good. Apart from budget petrol doesn't have a 4x4 in AT. Single-digit mileage is also a concern. Somewhere it's going to be choosing one over the other.
  • T-Roc - It was punchy and fun. 3rd person sitting on the second row is an issue. Also about parts and repair availability being a CBU.
  • Tucson - looks like a good package. haven't done TD yet
  • used X1 (5-year old from dealer) - Being old & TCO on the back of my mind.
There some others which crossed my mind
  • Seltos (reliability)
  • XUV (considered after reading the 4x4 forum. have ridden earlier models. fit & finish concern)
  • Kushaq (space. and Skoda reliability after going through threads)
  • Taigun - yet to be seen
I went through most of the threads but I am split between the options. Any feedback from long term owners are appreciated
sabkaraja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:11   #2
BHPian

re: Jeep Compass vs VW T-Roc vs Hyundai Tucson

Petrol and FE won't go together in the era of turbo petrols. The Petrol Compass is sluggish and the diesel although powerful, is let down by a bad AT. Having said that, despite the sharp increase in price with the facelift, is now feature-laden and still packs in a good package.

The T-Roc, space-wise, feels like a segment lower and is best fit for 2 people at the back.

That leaves you with sparsely used X1/Tiguan (you should be able to get 2-3 year old low-run models easily for your budget; these things depreciate heavily) or a brand new Tuscon. TD a Tuscon, and you will come back impressed. It has the best space on offer, decent engine options and kit. Should you choose a preowned German, you should be prepared for the higher maintenance cost and make sure to get the extended warranty.
hridaygandhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

I recommend Tucson among these options. TRoc is a small car and does not feel value for money. I don't see value in going for a manual car anymore. So not considering the manual diesel compass. That leaves you with only Tucson and Compass petrol ATs. I trust Hyundai more than Jeep in case of the ownership experience.

Wild card entry: Top-end petrol automatic Innova, the 2.7 ZX AT. Costs about 29L on road. It has got better ground clearance and is a better UV than all the front-wheel-drive options mentioned above. The fuel efficiency of an Innova will not be all that different from Compass and Tucson petrol. I am sure the ownership experience will also be better than the cars in your consideration set. You should check out this review below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-petrol-3.html (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT) .

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd July 2021 at 19:38.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 20:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you can wait a little, please do consider waiting for the next gen all new Tucson expected early next year. I suspect that would be the best bet from your list.

Alternately, I think a used Tiguan (less than 2 years maybe) should also be on your list. It’s a lovely car and will feel much more comparable to the Tucson / Compass than the T Roc.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 09:08   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass vs VW T-Roc vs Hyundai Tucson

I feel you should wait for the upcoming VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI. The classy, understated yet sporty styling makes the Tiguan quite a looker. Add to that it is quite well proportioned with classy interiors too. The overall quality levels are also pretty good.

The 2.0 TSI motor mated with the DQ381 transmission is already being offered on some flagship Skoda and VW cars. The Tiguan will also have an AWD tech and should be able to seat 5 adults in comfort. I think this ticks most of your boxes.

The only two grey areas are -

1. Pricing - might be priced at a tempting under 30 L ex-showroom
2. Availability - the launch was supposed to happen in June 2021 however it was pushed due to the covid situation in India

You may watch this space for more details - VW India.
//M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 14:00   #6
AZT
BHPian

You mentioned XUV 500 fit and finish concerns. I think the 700 should be better, since you have time you should check it out too.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 14:38   #7

thanks for the feedback. Really helpful

Tiguan - latest word is that Tiguan will be launching in Oct'21. fingers crossed that pricing will be competitive for the 5-seater.
Innova - I don't like the shape as an ownership vehicle (personal choice)
Tucson - what's holding me back is that there may be new-gen Tucson next year. petrol doesn't have AWD though
XUV700 - Q2/FY2022 launch
Alcazar - is too big for an occasional family trip
Old 12th July 2021, 20:10   #8
BHPian

Go for the Tucson, it's a great car.

I was toying between the Tucson and the Compass when I was upgrading from my SX4 four years ago. I found the Compass interiors woefully small, so much so that it almost felt like a downgrade from the SX4 on the interior space front.

Been owning the Tucson for the past 4 years, it's fantastic.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:46   #9
BHPian

I have the exact same dilemma, need to replace a petrol i20 thats been with me since 2010. Have booked a TD for an deisel automatic jeep compass but i have my apprehensions

1. Not keen on a deisel, in the age of electric vehicles buying a deisel seems a bit irresponsible from an environment perspective.
2. Jeep seems to be on the smaller end of things. the worry is will it have enough boot space to manage a family trip.

I also own a petrol tucson (2017) and its a great car. no complaints what so ever. But tucson looks a bit dated now its not exciting to either drive or sit in. It just gets the job done. Most of the time people think its a creta (this can be an advantage if you want to remain low key). In mumbai we manage a FE of about 6 and on highway runs this goes up to around 10. Its not exciting to drive but can speed up if you drive with a heavy foot.

Some options im considering myself.

1. VW tiguan 2.0 tsi - looks like a great car, not sure on the timelines though. I had registered my interest on the portal but no response from VW. really worried about the reliablity. Have not heard great things about allspace. may be i am being paranoid.

2. New octavia - agains looks good, really got put off by their stock wheels and lack of sunroof. Its not an SUV as well but i just love the car.

I also just love the hybrid camry but its way out my budget. there are a few german luxury options in the used market but i dont want the attention that comes with a luxury car especially at the office.

Let me know what you decide, would love to follow and best of luck!!

Btw, this is my first post on the group so i am a complete noob when it comes of the forum.
AP_1812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:40   #10
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkaraja View Post
Alcazar - is too big for an occasional family trip
Are you referring to physical dimensions because it is not that big as compared to Tucson (just checked and it is only 2 cms longer and less wide by 6 cms).
Old 13th July 2021, 00:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I started the hunt for an SUV as an upgrade from my 6-year old Jazz Diesel and all-new City.

I had these criteria
  1. budget 25-28L
  • Compass AT - 4x4 Limited Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol. The TD was good. Apart from budget petrol doesn't have a 4x4 in AT. Single-digit mileage is also a concern. Somewhere it's going to be choosing one over the other.
  • T-Roc - It was punchy and fun. 3rd person sitting on the second row is an issue. Also about parts and repair availability being a CBU.
This is where exactly I am. Or wait..I have rather added to the confusion by booking a Jeep Compass Model S Diesel AT yesterday and since then doubting my decision.
Had test driven Tuscon, liked the engine+AT (diesel) but interiors look dated.
Alcazar - Sort of neither here nor there. Didn't excite me enough to go for test ride. Had a look in the dealership though.
Innova Crysta - Already have 2.8GX AT. Would love to buy 2.7 ZX but everyone in family wants a different car (can't understand how paying more, buying a smaller car which isn't that reliable fits into this idea but I'm still alone in family who wants this option)
Thought about going a level up and go for Fortuner but then sanity returns quickly thinking about the OTR price.
Maybe VW can surprise by launching Tiguan quickly. Is it too much to wish for? Or they can surprise by delaying the launch till October and then pricing it 35L + ex-showroom?
Compass - Test driven both Diesel and Petrol. Petrol is lazy but diesel seems adequately powered. Heard about bad AT but felt fine in test rides (maybe I am driving Crysta 2.8 AT and that transmission too isn't great either but gets the work done without much hassles). For now, holding on to the booking of Compass (paid 20K, refundable).
If you are able to make up your mind, do post. There are others who are also in same dilemma and need help

Last edited by Mail.atyagi : 13th July 2021 at 00:59. Reason: context
Mail.atyagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 03:09   #12

Quote:
Hi

I had these criteria
  1. budget 25-28L
  • Seltos (reliability)
  • XUV (considered after reading the 4x4 forum. have ridden earlier models. fit & finish concern)
  • Kushaq (space. and Skoda reliability after going through threads)
  • Taigun - yet to be seen
I went through most of the threads but I am split between the options. Any feedback from long term owners are appreciated
I have the Tucson Diesel 2.0 AWD AT. Owned it for 2 years now, done about 25k kms, which is a lot given quite a number of months were spent in lockdown.

I have never regretted the decision. It has been a wonderful companion and never fails to bring a smile to my face when I get behind the wheel. The sheer power is tough to match. It comes with 3 years free maintenance. All wheel drive means you can accelerate without worrying about wheel spin. It gives me between 14 and 18 kmpl despite my far from frugal driving habits - put it on cruise control on the highways and even at 120 kmph on the expressway you will get 15 kmpl.

A good friend has the Compass; I find it smaller than the Tucson. The stiffer suspension possibly makes the Compass a better highway cruiser but the driving comfort on potholed roads suffers. I prefer a somewhat softer ride, as do my family and parents. But this is where personal choice makes its presence felt.

Reliability is a key part of the ownership experience for me. If the vehicle is laid up for repairs for months together or consumes a lot of my time in running around and writing emails everywhere for repairs and troubleshooting, it detracts from the experience. This is the primary reason I don't even consider Skoda's vehicles. Admittedly based on hearsay, based on horror stories I have read in these hallowed columns. Your mileage may vary. Hyundai maintains the Tucson well. I have had chaps come out to my office to oil the door because it was making noise after a service. I had a Verna before the Tucson, they were able to find an original radiator fan for a ten year old car and install it in 2 days. Truth be told, I was quite happy with the Verna, only had to sell it because of the ten year limit for Diesel cars in the NCR.

There is no perfect answer. Every option has pluses and minuses. A 5 year old German marque may be better in some ways, but you may spend much more per service - tough to fight zero for the first 3 years. And even afterwards, service and spare costs in Hyundai are very reasonable. And the real question is, are you really getting more for the cost? Because in performance and fuel efficiency and ride comfort, it's very much there. It's a compelling mix.

For me, there is really no contest. Buy it again in a heartbeat. Some of the other Tucson owners have also echoed this sentiment, and the only counter view is that you may like to wait for the 2022 version as it may have a hybrid version, that is even more awesome per international reviews. Possibly you didn't like the interiors, which can be remedied without spending too much money (compared to maintenance costs for 3 years). I don't know if you've driven the AWD Diesel AT in Sports mode, because I can't imagine you're thinking about interiors after that drive.

My apologies for the long post. One gets carried away talking about cars, and I guess this may be one place where people may understand and feel similarly.

My tuppence that seems to have turned into something like 5 rupees.

Best wishes finding your dream car!
Usb101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:14   #13
BHPian

New Tucson will be positioned as a replacement for Santa Fe as per Autocar. So, forget about ˜25 range, they will put it in the higher bracket.
Old 13th July 2021, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Any reason you aren't considering the new Harrier? It's got amazing street presence. And it's AT box is from Tucson I believe.

And as regards Alcazar, it doesn't belong to the bracket that you're considering. It seems underpowered, and the 3rd row seating is usable only for kids under 10 years age. I am a short person and even I couldn't sit in it.
Old 13th July 2021, 10:50   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I would definitely not recommend the Tucson - the model is in the last year of its lifecycle and the next generation Tuscon will be launched any day in North America. The interiors look dated, although Hyundai has managed to keep the exteriors contemporary. Going by how quick Hyundai is to launch new models, I would expect the next gen model may hit India sometime in 2022 first half itself. Globally it gets an impressive hybrid option as well, with a total system output of 225 PS and hopefully, Hyundai will bring this to India. So, if you can wait, it may be worth checking the next gen Tucson out.

If your need is immediate, I would recommend the T-Roc. It is a very European package and is brilliant in terms of the maturity of the ride and handling. It is one of those rare occasions where the CBU does not even get ride height modifications for India (due to the already plentiful ground clearance of the crossover) and so you get the exact same experience as driving this car in Europe. Granted, it is a bit small, but unless you have a fifth passenger all the time, should not be a cause for concern. The value it offers for the price (even after the recent hike by 1.5 lakhs) is excellent, when compared to the top end Kushaq which comes within striking distance of the T-Roc in pricing, yet misses key safety features like 6 airbags, is what makes it such a good buy.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks