MG Hector 10 1.58%
Mahindra XUV500 15 2.38%
Volkswagen T-Roc 61 9.67%
Other (please specify in your post) 35 5.55%
Voters: 631. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2023, 18:07   #166
BHPian

Re: Suggestion: Buying a new car after driving Grandi10 for 9 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeetchawla View Post
Or should I want for the new Creta? I know it won't come this year but don't think waiting another year for a new car will make sense.

I am not too keen on super performance or something. My driving requirement will be very less and mostly within the city.

Sorry for such a long post. I really wanted to share my researching and car selecting experience. In today's market, buyers are spoilt for choice when it comes to SUVs. It's so hard to decide.

Also, this is my first post on TeamBHP after browsing this site for 9 years haha. Please let me know if this is not the correct forum to post this.

Thank you so much. Really looking forward to your views.

Considering your requirements and current situation, I would definitely recommend waiting for the new Seltos whose launch is just a couple of months away, it will be a better car overall and a new model at that.

However, if you are looking for other options, the only option worth checking out is the XUV700 AX5 Petrol MT which costs exactly 20 lakhs OTR, The MG Hector and Scorpio-N are also worth a look too.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 22:37   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Considering your requirements and current situation, I would definitely recommend waiting for the new Seltos whose launch is just a couple of months away, it will be a better car overall and a new model at that.

However, if you are looking for other options, the only option worth checking out is the XUV700 AX5 Petrol MT which costs exactly 20 lakhs OTR, The MG Hector and Scorpio-N are also worth a look too.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, even I am almost convinced to wait for the Seltos as it's a newer car and has a panoramic sun roof too!

I was planning to checkout the XUV AX5 itself this week. Will keep you all posted about my experience.
sumeetchawla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 03:00   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Hey! So I did a booking the Creta SXO version. New Seltos will be a nice car but I generally just didn't like it much. Also, the Creta SXO is coming at 19 lakhs on road. It has almost all items I needed. Just a few items are missing which I think are present in the Alcazar.

Like better digital instrument cluster with blind view monitoring, 360 camera and most importantly front parking sensors. The colour changeable ambient light is also a big bonus haha.

So now I am confused again. I am planning to keep the car for at least 8-9 years (just like my current car). Should I pay extra to upgrade to Alcazar signature or Creta is good enough.

One more reason I am really liking alcazar cause I have a doggo. He can easily sit/sleep in the rear seat and also has ac vents

Why is buying a car so hard haha.
Old 4th June 2023, 04:55   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeetchawla View Post
Hey! So I did a booking the Creta SXO version. New Seltos will be a nice car but I generally just didn't like it much. Also, the Creta SXO is coming at 19 lakhs on road. It has almost all items I needed. Just a few items are missing which I think are present in the Alcazar.

Like better digital instrument cluster with blind view monitoring, 360 camera and most importantly front parking sensors. The colour changeable ambient light is also a big bonus haha.

So now I am confused again. I am planning to keep the car for at least 8-9 years (just like my current car). Should I pay extra to upgrade to Alcazar signature or Creta is good enough.

One more reason I am really liking alcazar cause I have a doggo. He can easily sit/sleep in the rear seat and also has ac vents

Why is buying a car so hard haha.
The Creta SX(O) is a good car to have with almost all requisite features, But if you are indeed planning to keep the car for 8-9 years and you see the need for a 7-seater arising in the future, then better be safe than sorry and go for the 7-seater option, It will be expensive, but if the use case warrants a 7-seater more often than not, then it will be a worthwhile investment.

However, if the need for the last row of seats comes around, just once in a blue moon, then I don't think spending the extra few lakhs for the 7-seater is worth it.

However, if you are going for a 7-seater, then the options also change, and you can consider the Hyundai Alcazar as well as the Kia Carens. If you are looking for High end, then the Scorpio-N, Innova Hycross, Mahindra XUV700 and MG Hector Plus are also options, but they will cost you much more for the same feature set.
Old 13th June 2023, 19:10   #170
BHPian

Help with Deciding My First Car

Hello Everyone ,

I need your help in deciding my first car. Although my parents have a car (2017 Baleno) in another city, technically this is going to be my first car.

About me , Although I love to drive , I prefer to go with mind over heart. We are family of 2. Rear seats will be occasionally used.

Requirements
  1. Budget around 13.5L - cannot extend much.
  2. Petrol and Manual.
  3. ASS should be good (Yeah Maruti spoiled me).
  4. Good reliability as I am planning to keep car for long time.
  5. Features like wireless charging , sunroof , ventilated seats , cruise control are nice to have but not mandate.
  6. Good Infotainment with support for AA and reverse camera with sensors.
  7. CSUV/SUV is preferred but open to other choices.

Below are the cars I have shortlisted and concerns I have on them
  1. Creta E - Only base variant on my budget - Doesn't have infotainment or reverse camera , I have seen lot of conversions from base to mid variants, may have to settle for that.
  2. Seltos HTE E- Same points as Creta.
  3. XUV 300 W6/W8 - I have seen lot of people preferring Diesel for XUV300 , want to know how good is XUV 300 petrol variant and engine reliability as Mahindra are experts in Diesel engine.
  4. Brezza ZXI - Has good features but not sure how well it will age.
  5. City SV - Base variant, will miss out lot of features.
  6. Honda Elevate - Have to wait for pricing and variants.

I am not considering below cars
  1. Nexon - Not good ASS and QC issues.
  2. Kushaq and Taigun - Expensive for its size.
  3. Venue and Sonet - For some reason , I don't like them . I prefer to have hatchbacks instead of them.
  4. Fronx - Since its based on Baleno , we already have one.

I plan to book and buy around September . I am also open to wait for any new launches .

Last edited by VigneshMC : 13th June 2023 at 19:34.
VigneshMC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:17   #171
BANNED

Re: Help with Deciding My First Car

You haven't mentioned how old you are, and whether you have a family or not, but assuming that you're young-ish, and rear space is not a constraint, how about something a little more sporty-ish?
Like the i20 N Line?

One life, live it. You have the whole life ahead to drive boring cars.

Out of this shortlist, the xuv300 or the city.
Although the former's facelift is around the corner
SNA411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:19   #172

I would suggest to wait for the elevate , Honda cars are usually VFM for their pricing and I hope itís base variant will be like city!!
Shivrajj1 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2023, 19:37   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
You haven't mentioned how old you are,
Edited my post to include that information , thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
Out of this shortlist, the xuv300 or the city.
Although the former's facelift is around the corner
Yeah , I think its almost a year away and I expect it to be minor facelift , unless someone shares some inside information on additional features
Old 13th June 2023, 22:50   #174
BHPian

Out of all the cars you have mentioned XUV 300 has the best rating in terms of safety. Though Brezza is a very nice vehicle with a 4 star rating, its not great for highway spirited driving. The only downside of XUV 300 is it's limited boot space. I seriously considered buying XUV 300, but bought a Nexon because of its boot space.
Bala02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 05:51   #175
BHPian

If you are looking for the aforementioned features within your budget, then you have to settle with sub 4 metre compact SUVs lke the Nexon, Brezza etc, otherwise if you are willing to sacrifice features for a larger SUV, then the Creta and Seltos are your best options, the Seltos is due a facelift soon, and many dealerships have started accepting unofficial bookings for the same too, so the current generation is therefore heavily discounted, you could get a good deal.

The XUV300 is a good choice as far as safety is concerned but has a paltry boot.

Do test drive each one of them, so that you get the feel of the car. Now coming to my recommendations, if you are going for a sub 4 metre SUV, the Brezza would be a good choice, else the Creta in larger SUVs, if you are going for a sedan, then Verna and City are good options.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 21:53   #176

Upgrade for an enthusiast - Need help to decide

Hi team,

Looking for a worthy car to replace/upgrade our 2017 Ford Ecosport D (currently at 70k on Odo).

Background:
We are a family of 4, where both males are plus sized and slightly taller than 6 feet. Ecosport has been our only car so far, but we are now looking to get a second vehicle ( to cater to parallel runs). We are predominantly city users (90%) with an occasional long trips (10%). We have done trips upto 2k Kms with 4 members and luggage in the ecosport and it never disappointed us. The only grime we have now is the heavy clutch, which is a pain.

I have always dreamt of a Skoda Octavia, but could never get it (always above my budget). I gave a last shot to get one after i heard the "discontinued" news, but couldn't find a good example (only a 2023 TD one with 9k on Odo for 32 Lakh, gave it a pass)

Need:
I plan to use this car for Office commute (60-65 KM/day) and the occasional highway run which might together add upto 1000-1200km/month. Plan to use it for 7+ years.

Ecosport was my family's car, this will be mine!

Budget: 20-25L (can stretch upto 29/30L in edge cases)

Looking a car with the below in mind:

1) Fun to Drive (love the drive engagement which Ecosport has)
2) Safe and reliable Car (NCAP rating though not mandatory, good to have)
3) Comfortable car to seat our frames properly (we have 2 large people in the family )
4) Automatic (or may be even a light clutch)
5) Fuel Economy of 10+ in the City (not particular about fuel)
6) Good Interiors (I am ok to spend some money to improve if the stock interiors are not that great )
7) Seat 4 comfortably ( seat 5 is also welcome, not very keen on 7 seaters)

Cars Shortlisted:
  1. Skoda Slavia/ Virtus 1.5 - Happy with the Engine and looks. Not full convinced about he interior quality and roadnoise (can a damping fix this?)
  2. Kushaq - felt the suspension was stiffer than Slavia.
  3. Harrier - Yet to Drive
  4. Xuv 700 D AT - Strong pull, felt the steering was light (may be at the cost of feel), suspension okish and feature concentration was only in the top model.
  5. Honda City 2023 ZX MT/AT (used 2020 examples are available from 12.5L) - Good ride at low speeds, Comfy seats and good interiors but slow gear changes. I also could hear a lot of road noise (is this expected?)

Cars Driven but removed from my List:
  1. Tiguan All Space 2020/2021 (used - 32k-47k on Odo. Loved the drive, but got scared of the high maintenance cost and low FE - was told to expect 7-8 in City traffic and about 11 on highways at 100-120kmph)
  2. Civic 2019 (not able to find one used at a decent price)
  3. Compass 2022/23 D AT (Loved the build and ride quality but No paddle shifters, slow gear changes and premium pricing) - there is a Model S AT 2022 for sale through a reseller which was used for about 8k at 30L though.

Dilemma:
  1. should I get a smaller city car for now in 10-14L range and save up money for a bigger can in 3 Years
  2. Get a new car in the budget i have and buy a bigger car after 5Years? if Yes which one?
  3. Go the preowned route? Which cars do you suggest?

Mod Note: this is my first post on this forum, happy to make any changes/corrections
Old 15th June 2023, 05:26   #177
BHPian

Re: Upgrade for an enthusiast - Need help to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMax View Post
Hi team,

Looking for a worthy car to replace/upgrade our 2017 Ford Ecosport D (currently at 70k on Odo).

Dilemma:
  1. should I get a smaller city car for now in 10-14L range and save up money for a bigger can in 3 Years
  2. Get a new car in the budget i have and buy a bigger car after 5Years? if Yes which one?
  3. Go the preowned route? Which cars do you suggest?
If you are spending 30 Lakhs today for a new car, the best option would be to go for the XUV700 Diesel AT, The Virtus and Slavia are fun to drive sedans, but lack the interior quality of old Skoda-VW cars, same is the case with the Kushaq and Taigun. If you are looking for sedans, the new Hyundai Verna Turbo DCT is an option worth considering too.

If you are looking for a smaller city car now in the 10L to 14L range then you can choose from a plethora of sub 4 metre SUVs and hatchbacks, the Venue/Sonet, i20 (all in DCT or in 1.5 Diesel) are options worth considering.

Now, whether or not you should go for a smaller car now and get a bigger car in 3-4 years depends on how much higher your budget will rise in the time frame, with frequent price hikes and cars becoming more expensive with each passing day, this is definitely a factor worth considering. If you are spending 30 L today for a car, you would most probably have to spend around 40 L after 4 years for a similar car, considering the way the market is going, however If EVs become popular by then, it's a whole different scenario and waiting for 4 years may just be worth it.

If you are going for the preowned route, you could probably get bigger and better cars for the 30L you are spending today good examples of luxury Germans, Fortuners and so on can be bought today in the pre-owned market for 30 L and could be worth considering.

But do remember that Luxury cars come with higher maintenance and service costs too and be ready for that when you purchase one.

Hope it helps!
Old 15th June 2023, 20:59   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigneshMC View Post
Hello Everyone ,

I need your help in deciding my first car.
Do try the Astor once. Its petrol NA manual Style and Sharp variants are pretty loaded and are near your budget.

The NA Petrol's performance isn't its forte, but you do get a lot of car and value for the price.

My father in law has the Sharp variant and he is pretty happy with it. I have driven it many times and would definitely recommend you to check it out at least once.
Old 15th June 2023, 22:50   #179
BANNED

Re: Upgrade for an enthusiast - Need help to decide

Hi,
Not sure if you are fine with the sedans, if yes, then Honda City Hybrid will be a good choice. Hybrid engine, superb average, very comfortable, has most of the necessary tech features, etc. Other options to consider are Hyundai Alcazar, XUV700.

You can also wait for the new Seltos. Heard unofficial bookings have already started.
Old 16th June 2023, 09:30   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigneshMC View Post
Hello Everyone ,

I need your help in deciding my first car. Although my parents have a car (2017 Baleno) in another city, technically this is going to be my first car.

About me , Although I love to drive , I prefer to go with mind over heart. We are family of 2. Rear seats will be occasionally used.

Requirements
  1. Budget around 13.5L - cannot extend much.
  2. Petrol and Manual.
  3. ASS should be good (Yeah Maruti spoiled me).
  4. Good reliability as I am planning to keep car for long time.
  5. Features like wireless charging , sunroof , ventilated seats , cruise control are nice to have but not mandate.
  6. Good Infotainment with support for AA and reverse camera with sensors.
  7. CSUV/SUV is preferred but open to other choices.

Below are the cars I have shortlisted and concerns I have on them
  1. Creta E - Only base variant on my budget - Doesn't have infotainment or reverse camera , I have seen lot of conversions from base to mid variants, may have to settle for that.
  2. Seltos HTE E- Same points as Creta.
  3. XUV 300 W6/W8 - I have seen lot of people preferring Diesel for XUV300 , want to know how good is XUV 300 petrol variant and engine reliability as Mahindra are experts in Diesel engine.
  4. Brezza ZXI - Has good features but not sure how well it will age.
  5. City SV - Base variant, will miss out lot of features.
  6. Honda Elevate - Have to wait for pricing and variants.

I am not considering below cars
  1. Nexon - Not good ASS and QC issues.
  2. Kushaq and Taigun - Expensive for its size.
  3. Venue and Sonet - For some reason , I don't like them . I prefer to have hatchbacks instead of them.
  4. Fronx - Since its based on Baleno , we already have one.

I plan to book and buy around September . I am also open to wait for any new launches .

Isn't Jimny the perfect car for you. Petrol, Manual, Maruti ASS, Apple Carplay, SUV, Price is similar to what you have quoted.

Most Viewed