MG Hector 10 1.59%
Mahindra XUV500 15 2.38%
Volkswagen T-Roc 61 9.68%
Other (please specify in your post) 35 5.56%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 12:34   #91

Re: Skoda Kushaq 1.0TSI MT vs Kia Seltos HTX Petrol MT

We have had the KIA Seltos GTX Plus for quite some time now and I think I would be able to answer this to an extent.

When I test drove the new Skoda Kushaq, I felt the "fun to drive" or the "performance" factor is missing majorly in KIA Seltos. Even though it is a 1.5-liter diesel, it somewhat lacks the feel-good factor that we can find in other cars of the like. Kushaq on the other hand is definitely a car where one would enjoy the power of the latest 1.0 TSI or 1.5 TSI.

While Kushaq lacks a lot of tech-savvy features, Seltos would never disappoint one at this end. 360-degree camera, ventilated seats, remote engine start and the list goes on. If your family friend is looking for a fun-to-drive manual and a car with sufficiently loaded features, I would definitely vote for the all-new Skoda Kushaq 1.5 TSI.
SatJordan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 16:19   #92
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs Jeep Compass vs others

Probably I was the first one to book Kushaq (in the first week of June) and kept waiting for the launch for months. From the reveal in March till launch in June there were many things I kept on compromising. I continued to convince myself.

But when on launch day I saw the pricing and 1.5 DSG excluded 6 airbags that's when this was it for me. I could not convince myself more. I was expecting an Indianised version of Karoq or TRoc but what they are selling is just another random car with low quality interiors.

I looked at Jeep Compass Sport AT variant and on the same day of Kushaq launch I cancelled the booking for Kushaq and Booked Jeep Compass.

- Paying extra 2 lacs, but getting a solid vehicle great quality materials.
- 2 Airbags but Compass is at least NCAP tested, Kushaq is not even sent for the same.
- Better interior space than Kushaq
- I loved the driving dynamics and balance on high speed
- I wanted black interior in Kushaq (Monte Carlo) but I got that in Compass Sport.
- Compass may have less features, but whatever is given is great quality. As I am ok to have less features but no compromise on quality. Kushaq's interior disgusted me.
- Better road presence than Kushaq
- Black color availablity
- 4 Disc breaks in Compass and the superb breaking availability in Compass.
- On top of that I felt, Skoda was targeting Venue and Sonet customers with Kushaq along with a few Creta / Seltos buyers who could fall for 1.5 TSI engine.

Now my Compass delivery is just a few days away and I am very satisfied with my decision. Every time I look at Kushaq's interior, I am more convinced of my decision.

No offense to Kushaq buyers, this is my personal opinion.
RealAbhinavRajp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 20:18   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
I'm looking to buy a new CSUV in the next 3-6 months, with Automatic gearbox, seating for 5 with ISOFIX and 6 airbags as no miss features, with flexible budget.
Your requirements are too wide and so are your options/choices.
Obviously, the more expensive you go the better will be build quality, safety features, comfort. The ride, handling and capabilities also significantly improves in ascending order of cost (though depends on the type of the car- sedan vs SUV vs cross over). Always fix the budget first before you even consider what car. You cannot have the best of both worlds - cheap and best.

Additionally, you are comparing a diesel and petrol car - not an apple-to-apple comparison. Again freeze your choice of fuel type (based on your intended usage) before considering options - even an EV might fulfill your needs.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd September 2021 at 17:53. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 20:57   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Sure, a Compass/Octavia is going to score very high in terms of all of the points while a Nexon might not. But the Nexon can easily beat the Compass as it'll save me a lot of money.
Nexon and Compass cannot be in the same segment - It's not an apple-to-apple right comparison at all. Since it is your heart over the head for you and of course given your budget, money-saving should be your last priority. Of course, you can buy 2 Nexons for the cost of 1 Compass. And compass is obviously significantly better on all fronts (except for the initial price, service network, maintenance cost) compared to Nexon. So I recommend you freeze your budget before you proceed further.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd September 2021 at 17:53. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 7th August 2021, 16:02   #95
BHPian

I voted for others.
How about Vw Taigun ?
If the information coming in bits and pieces is true, looks like there is going to be 1.5 tsi dsg fully equipped model with 6 airbags.
I would recommend that at 21l - 22l OTR
Old 10th August 2021, 14:23   #96
BHPian

Great analysis. I too am still undecided. I have taken a test drive of the Kushaq 1ltr AT and though the drive went well but not able to close it out. Like you I was also very much surprised at the omission of the 6 air bags and the TPMS in the highest spec variant of Kushaq. The recently unveiled Taigun also adds to the confusion.

I also had visited the Compass showroom post my Kushaq test drive and the Compass definitely feels a level above the Kushaq. The fit and finish are exemplary. The base variant ticks all the right boxes. Just by asking about the prices the SA gave me a quote for around 22.12 for the sport and has recently rang me up regarding an discount of 75k on the Longitude variant if booked by the 15th of this month. He was telling the delivery of the Longitude would be done in around 2 weeks.
Old 11th August 2021, 00:23   #97

Having owned the Seltos GTX Diesel AT with 26000 kms on the ODO of which 90% of it are in the highways, I just wanted to share my experience here.

So for a background of sorts, before we got the Seltos, our family garage consisted of
1. 2016 Skoda superb 1.8TSI L&K- this was the car primarily used by my father and was our mile cruncher. All was good for the initial 4 years after which the car spent most of its time in the garage for DSG issues, brake fluid pump issue to name a few. So although we had exclusively owned german cars till that point, we were skeptical to go for the TROC which was launched at the time. We are planning to sell the car in the near future.
2. 2017 Vento 1.2 Highline - this was our beater car for the city. A good reliable engine with a manual transmission which is sure to last for the years to come.
3. 2014 Polo 1.2 Highline - the car which was driven by my mother and clocked in very low on the ODO.

So on jan 2020 we wanted to replace the polo and we wanted to a car which can used in the city and also on the highways a fair bit (because of the superb’s issues). So our requirement were as follows,

1. CSUV- wanted a SUV in our garage, but not one of those with huge dimensions. CSUV had the nice compromise between being spacious enough for a family of 4 and compact enough to not be a hassle in the city

2. A diesel automatic powertrain - all our cars were petrol then and we really wanted a diesel for easy of highway travel. and reliability was a major factor as the car was planned to be held on to for a very long time.

3. We didn’t have a fixed budget but we were looking out for something below 30 lakhs.

4. Safety was a priority - We were promised a very safe car with the seltos. NOTE this was way ahead of those GNCAP Ratings. So by Jan 2020 standards, Seltos was considered to be a very safe car.

So our options were
1. Kia Seltos - the new kid on the block. With 3 of our family members owning them, we got really good first impressions of the car.
2. Harrier - too big a car for our use car scenario
3. Compass - no service facilities available close to us. And also a friend of ours didn’t have a good experience with the ownership.

The creta hadn’t been updated yet, so it was out of the radar.

So the only decent option that we had for a Diesel Automatic CSUV around 20 lakhs was the Kia Seltos and it looked like a sweet deal (and it still is, LOVE THE CAR)

26,000 kms later the car is serving its purpose fabulously with its sorted dynamics on the highways and with the diesel unit returning a sure 16.5km/L every single time. The gearbox is responsive enough, the torquey engine is very much adequate and the firm suspension isn’t an issue as the roads are good in Chennai. Sure the GNCAP ratings came as a shocker to us who prioritise safety above all in a car, but till that date I’ve never had a moment in the highways where the car felt any bit unstable, even on hard braking. The services has been dead cheap, the personnel there so friendly and responsive, checking out the car for free every single time i head out for a long trip. Also with the Kia care scheme, I’ve never had to pay for a single service since delivery.

I’m not here to defend the Korean twins, and i agree that good quality chassis with high tensile strength should be mandatory for any car. But after owing 3 VAG cars, I’ve come around to appreciate the easy of ownership and also the small nifty features and the build quality in the Kia. After going through so many threads and forums, I understand that they receive way too many ‘tincan’ comments, but the Korean twins feel and drive like they can last for a really long time and this is coming from someone who’s owning a first non German car. They are built for a specific purpose and the sales charts don’t lie.

Update, we’ve gotten a 4th German, a Polo 1.0 TSI highline plus manual for my personal use. Still in the runin period with 200kms on the ODO. Can’t wait to rev her up.
Trextwix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 17:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
The car might not seem to have enough street presence but is surely gathering a lot of attention. I even saw a brand new Compass owner instantly regretting his decision on my IRVM. Overall happy with the decision.
Enjoy and have lots of fun, Wishing you miles and miles of majestic drives on the King.
Old 3rd September 2021, 04:15   #99
BHPian

In the market for an SUV < 32 L

Greetings,
I'm new here, so forgive me if I make a mistake while starting this thread. I am in the market for an SUV < 32L. My family currently owns a Maruti Suzuki Baleno and a Hyundai Xcent. My preferences are as follows:
1. Should be a driver-friendly engine. Petrol or Diesel either works. However, a decent fuel economy will be appreciated.
2. Automatic transmission
3. Seat 5 at ease
4. Since this will be my first car (the one that I buy for myself), I wouldn't really mind a luxury badge as well.

Based on these, I've shortlisted the following:
1. Hyundai Creta - Fan of Hyundai's interiors. Love the styling as well. Test drove the Turbo petrol and loved it. However, the car isn't too roomy and has no wow factor. Its an overall very good package, but nothing that stands out. Hyundai Tucson looks dated and hence isn't a part of this discussion.

2. MG Hector - It ticked all the right boxes: roomy, spacious, feature loaded. Family loved it. I've read enough about its underpowered petrol engine. The diesel engine lacks an automatic leaving me the only option of diesel manual to consider. The car doesn't look very safe and secure, although I have to admit I haven't spent that much time with the car.

3. Jeep Compass - Loved the car, its looks, interiors and exclusivity. Found no issues with the Diesel automatic even. The leg room, is a big downside in my opinion. Don't really care for a 4x4, but if it's available, no harm. Jeep refuses to offer any discount on the product though.

4. Audi Q2 - This might not be characterised as an SUV and might even be ridiculed by everyone here, but as I mentioned, I wouldn't mind a premium badge. My family has always driven mass market cars(Hyundai & Maruit) and the fact that we could be owning an Audi (even though its the vastly unpopular Q2) is surreal. Major problems though - too pricey even with discounts, no interior space, odd looks. However, if I manage to get the price right, my heart will seriously be tempted for it.

5. Audi A4 - This would require me to extend my budget my leaps and miles, something I'm not comfortable in doing. But considering the price mentioned in one of the threads here (39L OTR), I am tempted.

6. Used BMW X1 - A good badge and I can easily get a 2019 model around my budget with limited running. A new car, right off the showroom, naturally makes me more excited. But wouldn't mind the X1 either.

Cars in the same bracket that weren't considered:
1. Tata Harrier/Safari - Interiors look very bad to me. I spend a lot of time in my car and hence I need good interiors. Safari was also rejected for similar reasons. Didn't test drive the car, but nothing fascinated me about its interiors.

2. Sedan (Octavia, Elentra etc): This car will be something I want to use daily for all purposes, which includes weekend trips. Indian roads are awful, still.

3. T-Roc - Limited availability, don't like the looks.
jaskiratarora15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:52   #100
BHPian

Re: In the market for an SUV < 32 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskiratarora15 View Post
Greetings,
I am in the market for an SUV < 32L. My family currently owns a Maruti Suzuki Baleno and a Hyundai Xcent. My preferences are as follows:
Jeep Compass is my go to suggestion for a SUV in that price bracket. But it might not be the most comfortable for 5. Any reason you are not looking at the XUV 7OO? It will satisfy all your requirements and even save you a few lakhs. Feature laden interior, powerful petrol and diesel engine options, should be spacious enough for 5.
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 17:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskiratarora15 View Post
I am in the market for an SUV < 32L. My family currently owns a Maruti Suzuki Baleno and a Hyundai Xcent. My preferences are as follows:
An update:
Test drove the Q2. Ordinary looks, attractive price, but oh my god that engine!! Crazy good to drive. Luxury feel as well. Petrol is an added advantage.
Mind says Jeep Compass - practical for a family, feature loaded, easier to maintain (I guess). Heart says Q2 - fast, Audi badge and good driving capability.
What to do?
Yet to test drive a used BMW X1. Any thoughts on this? I want to retain my car for 8-10 years and it should be easy to maintain.

Note from Support: Please do not quote large posts entirely. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd September 2021 at 17:55. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 26th September 2021, 14:06   #102
BHPian

Great seeing so many comparisons here for a vehicle. I am also in the same boat. Waited for the Kushaq, turned off with the umpteen reports for the poor quality interior materials and only 2 airbags in the top end AT variant. (Well this grouse has been addressed and will be making its way into the vehicles arriving from Nov onwards). Delivery of the Kushaq (except the 6 airbag AT) top variant is around 15 days.

After being disappointed went to check out the compass and it ticked all the boxes though the ride did not feel very awe inspiring. No discounts/offers on the sport model though there is a 75k discount offer on the longitude model. got a quote of approx 21l for the sports model. Delivery in 1 month max.

Was also going through some of the post in Team BHP have found mouth watering discounts for the Q2. On road around 34l for the premium variant with scope of some more discounts should I commit to the same. This is from the Gurugram outlet. Delivery in 1/2 weeks.

Also though I was on the look for SUVs but since I was driving an sedan i.e. Honda City ZX which I am replacing because of the 15 year NCR rule also got the quotes on the Skoda sedans Octavia and Superb:

Octavia Style: 29.6l and Superb Sportsline 36.5l (Delivery during Navratras) All OTR Gurugram prices. (Are these prices good or some more leeway is there)

Got the Volvo XC40 prices approx 44l OTR though there is no vehicle available for test drive and delivery around December.

Trying to finalise
Old 26th September 2021, 15:14   #103
BHPian

Voted for Jeep Compass.
The decision to buy a JC Petrol AT in Aug2020 is turning out to be one of the best I have ever made. The JC is great to ride and , more importantly, great to own.
The car stands out on the roads , build quality is excellent. It may not be a gimmicky car with thousands of gizmos, but at the end of the day, I have whatever is needed for a safe & enjoyable drive
The sluggishness of the Petrol AT that is often mentioned in almost every post , is noticeable only in specific situations. IMHO, I don't think that it is a deal breaker. Its surprisingly sprightly for its weight and those quick cuts are easily managed.
Overall driving experience is a pleasure.

Cheers.
AMKAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 16:06   #104
BHPian

The first car quandary -Kushaq or T-Roc or Compass?

Hello BHPians,
This is my first post in Team-BHP. I've been a long time visitor to this community and have recently gained access to it's membership. Thank you to the moderators for this privilege!

I feel that my slightly long background will help explain the choices I've made/will make.
I learnt how to drive a car in March 2021. Yes, you read that right. As my user name indicates, I own a CBR 150R bike which I'm in love with. It maybe a weird bike to fall in love with, not being an enthusiast vehicle, not being successful enough and not even being the best in the segment, but once I start riding it nothing else matters. In that moment, it is the perfect bike for me.
I always had this bad habit of learning how to ride/drive on new vehicles rather than old ones. I purchased my cycle before learning cycling, bought my Activa before I knew how to ride a gear less vehicle and bought home my CBR before I knew how to ride a vehicle with gears.
So, when it comes to a car, I was going to fall into the same pattern of purchasing a car and then learning how to drive it. I almost did that as well since I booked a Venue and Seltos in 2019, but later had the good sense to cancel it.
However, once Covid started and I moved from B'lore into my home town(small city called Kalaburagi) I decided to change a few of my habits. I realised the need for a new car and started learning in my friend's old Santro. Yes, I made sure to start learning only after I got my learner's license.
I then progressed to my father's Honda City CVT which he bought in right during the lockdown. After I got my permanent driver's license, I've made multiple outstation trips, day trips, night trips, driving on good roads, driving on moon craters etc and now I'm fairly confident that I can survive and probably thrive on India's chaotic roads.

When I started looking for my first car, I decided, in true Team-BHP fashion, to jot down my requirements and my negotiable vs non-negotiable needs.

Requirements:

:
  • Automatic Transmission- No AMT. CVT is good, but not exciting enough. TC is preferred, can live with dual clutches if their fun to drive factor trumps the reliability.
  • Safety- A good mix of active and passive safety features. Need 6 airbags since GNCAP/Euro results are not available for some cars in my list. Since crash ratings are not available, I can rely on that brand's history of safely built cars.
  • Engine - Should be fun to drive. While this is a matter of perspective, I have selected and also rejected several cars based on how I felt while driving them.
  • Interiors and features- Should have good looking interiors( going to keep my car for a long time), good ICE, sunroof and ventilated seats. Don't really care about connected car features.
  • Fuel Type- I can't predict the ratio of city:highway driving yet, however, since I'm a big fan of working from home and have a burning hatred towards B'lore traffic, I don't see the need for a diesel vehicle. I may end up with DPF issues with the amount of driving I would do every week. My idea of enjoying my cars would be on highways when I get the chance.
  • Space and body type - While I like the involved driving stance in a Sedan, I feel that the current lot of crossovers are more suitable on our roads. Also, I'm a single guy and my parents have their own car, so I don't need a huge car ,let alone a 7 seater. I'll be happy with a comfortable 4 seater.
  • Budget - 17L OTR to 25L OTR. Since I have a legitimate reason to opt for the BH registration, I can opt for cars like the Jeep which have a tag of 28L OTR, but will cost less initially due to the registration rules.
[/list]

Cars I've rejected and the reason why

1) Hyundai Creta
-Crash ratings not available, but the fact that the Seltos made on the same platform has scored an unstable structure frightens me.
-Not a fan of the design, however all other features and engine options I needed are available in this car.

2)Kia Seltos
-Unstable body structure according to global crash rating agencies. Can't compromise on this aspect.
-At the same price, I can go for a Creta whose suspension felt better than the Seltos.

3)MG Astor TC
- Beautiful looking interiors. I'm not a fan of the pseudo SUVs that look like hatchbacks on stilts, so the Astor's crossover stance appealed to me.
-Finally a TC with petrol option! However, I doubt the power of the 3 cylinder 1.3 turbo engine. Haven't taken a test drive yet, but I don't think it would be better than the VAG twins.
-Feature packed though lacking ventilated seats which I'm rather found of.
-I would hate to see my car being vandalised due to some zealots whenever an altercation with China takes place.
-Long waiting periods probably. Also, not really sure about MG's reliability.

4)Harrier, XUV700, Safari,Kicks Thar and Hector
-Heard about Harrier niggles, tbh haven't driven it yet, but heard that the steering is heavy and cumbersome while driving in cities.
-Don't need a big car and a 7 seater, doesn't make sense going for xuv700 even if it is VFM.
- Haven't paid much thought to Kicks, but don't feel like spending money on a car which has flopped in the Indian market. I maybe incorrect here, but that car in person doesn't give an exciting vibe.
-Thar is a great vehicle, went off-roading in my uncle's That Diesel AT several times, but I'll heed GTO's advice on not considering it if this would be my only car.

Cars in my list and my concerns/questions around them

1))Kia Sonet
-Crash ratings unavailable.
-Diesel AT, while not needed for my purpose, is the best engine-gearbox combo in the Sonet. Not really enthusiastic about a 3 cylinder 1 litre petrol engine. I feel the 1 litre turbo may fall short on hilly areas.
- Great interiors and features, but the rear row falls short on comfort. I am 6 foot tall. When I sat in the driver's seat and pushed back my seat, my friend who sat behind me got squashed like a toad on the road.

2) VW Taigun 1.5 TSI DSG
- Will only discuss the 'dislikes' since I prefer Kushaq more than the Taigun and will write about what I like when writing about the Kushaq.
- Slightly better warranty package than Kushaq
- I have read that the turning radius of Taigun is slightly less than the Kushaq. I find this hard to believe, but is this true?
-Lack of subwoofer which Kushaq has
-Weirdly doesn't have ventilated seats. "If you're an enthusiast, you need some heat behind you" is the stupidest thing I've heard this year and that includes all the stupidity WhatsApp messages have been peddling about Covid.
- Liked the Kushaq design a bit better than Taigun, primarily due to that chrome moustache in Taigun.

3)Jeep Compass Limited (O) Petrol DDCT
+ Loved the interiors. They feel a class apart.
+ Build quality felt robust, not sure about the crash ratings but I think I heard that the Compass scored 5 stars. Will have to check this.
+ Great feature set- includes all safety measure and then some good features like the panoramic sunroof and the e-brake. Misses out on ventilated seats though.
-The petrol engine didn't feel exciting enough, especially after I drove the Kushaq multiple times. I test drove the Compass only once and have read about the turbo lag as well, can someone who has driven both compass petrol AT and 1.5 TSI DSG please tell me if the difference is huge and if this will be an issue in city traffic?
-Mileage- While I'm not looking for Maruti level economy, 5-6 KMs/litre sounds too less. I've read contradicting reports in the Jeep forum
- A major factor is the BH registration. I can only purchase this variant if I get BH registration, or else 28L is too huge an amount for me to pay upfront. That is why I'm not considering the diesel AT when it apparently is the best engine combo for Jeep Compass. I considered the Jeep Compass Petrol AT only after reading GTOs thread about buying an expensive car and retaining it for a long time.

4) VW T-Roc
+ Love the design. Seems compact enough to zip through city streets, but also has a very stylish and unique presence on our roads.
+ Liked the feature set a lot. E-brakes,auto hold, panoramic sunroof and safety features make this a very desirable car.
- Missing features- Cruise Control and Ventilated seats. This being a CBU, I can understand the presence of heated seats , but I can't understand why cruise control is omitted. I use cruise control on expressways a lot of times and I like the convenience it offers.
-Haven't test driven it yet, but read that the suspension is hard and isn't as good as the new VAG twins'.
-Biggest disadvantage - It is not available in the market right now and the dealers don't know when new stock will arrive. No guarantee of that happening as well according to some trade gossip.

5) Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG
+ Loved the engine and gearbox combo. Coming from a CVT, the DSG feels so exciting to drive. While I enjoy driving my parents' I-VTEC engine a lot, the 1.5 TSI feels better than anything I've driven before.I can live with DSG's poor reliability record if the car is as fun to drive as the Kushaq. I will definitely go with the extended warranty.
+This car has almost everything I need in terms of features. Almost, because I would have really liked auto hold, e-brake and a panoramic sunroof at this price point.
+ Safety- Good set of active and passive safety equipment. Skoda has a reputation for safety, but till the crash ratings are revealed, I can't rely on the brand history.
+ Spacious enough for my purpose while being compact as well.
+ I've read reports of the ACT helping fuel economy so that's good news.
- The interiors don't feel good. An i20 costing 12L has better rooflines and AC vents than the Kushaq. Coming from a Honda City, the interiors feel a step down, but at the same time it is not as bad as some of the reviews have indicated.
-Crash ratings unknown. If Slavia is sent for crash ratings and Kushaq has not been sent(will probably know on 18th Nov), then that creates a huge doubt in my mind. I can't bear step motherly treatment in Kushaq if I know that the Slavia has better interiors and build.
- 1st version unreliability. While the EPC failures are supposedly resolved, I'd hate to be Skoda's guinea pig for future issues. At the same time, I need a car by Feb 2022 and can't wait for a facelift.

After typing the lengthy analysis above, couple of things became apparent to me and also raised some questions.

Summary

1. Kushaq seems to be the best car for me if I look at my 'must haves'.
  2. The T-Roc, if it was available, would have trumped the Kushaq in almost all areas and that would have been my first preference.
  3. The Jeep Compass would have been worth the extra money for all that it offers, if it was not for the engine-gearbox combo which pales in comparision to the VAG cars.

My questions/concerns

1. Should I wait for the T-Roc? If it is confirmed to arrive before April 2022, I can consider renting a car for that period.
  2. Should I wait for the proposed Kushaq facelift ,although there is no certainity of that coming anytime soon. I would still need a rented car till that comes.
  3. Should I give the Jeep Compass Petrol AT another try? Should I take it for couple more test drives and judge it on it's own merits rather than comparing it with the 1.5 DSG?
  4. Safety is an important parameter for me, should I trust Kushaq's assumed strong build quality in the absence of crash tests?

My Activa, purchased in 2006, is still in use. My CBR, bought home in 2013, needless to say is still in use. I keep my vehicles for a long time and I want to make sure that my first car is special and is not a compromise.

This is a lengthy analysis and I thank you for reading it through. Please provide me your valuable suggestions.
I especially look forward to Crazy_Driver's inputs since I get the impression that some of his choices reflect mine while reading through his posts.
CeeBeeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 21:10   #105
BHPian

Buying First Car (SUV) and How to Balance Mind over Heart

Dear members, I am a relatively new member of the forum and have been following this even since I came across Team BHP forum for the first time.

Today, I seek to rely on the collective wisdom of the forum. In addition to identifying the right car, I seek the experiences of members on how to consider the finances as part of the decision making process and where to draw the line in the head vs heart conundrum in case of one’s first car. To qualify this a little more - we started with a budget of around 12-16 lakhs, but have breached the 20Lakhs mark.

To give some context for the financial conundrum. I am soon to be 32 year old, founder of a funded startup (that is to say relatively better financial stability), graduate from the top IIM, married and plans to have first kid around late 2022/early 2023. Annual pre-tax household income (mine + wife’s) is upwards of INR 50 lakhs/annum.

I love driving and taking road trips, and don’t mind driving a car anytime. Despite the lock down, we have managed to take 3-4 road trips per year and want to continue the tradition. While we have fulfilled this desire through rented cars, we are now ready to buy our first car for personal use. Before this I have bought a used swift from my cousin for my parents. So a first major purchase for me and something I love.

We had started the search around June this month and nearing the decision point.

Following are the requirements, in no specific order:
1. Prefer Manual over automatic – for me automatics seem to take away the feel of driving
2. Great driving dynamics and highway cruising ability
3. Safety
4. Intend to keep the car for the long term since this will be our first car, so should age well
5. Related to above point, future proof to the extent possible – in terms of features/creature comforts (I understand nothing will tick all the boxes)
6. Comfortable seating for 5 preferably
7. Immediate availability as I don’t have any alternate options, so didn’t even bother checking out Astor and XUV700

Options considered and rejected:
1. Kia Seltos: It was love at first sight for me when it was first launched which was reinforced after all the positive reviews. However, the safety ratings changed everything. We did checkout the car and found it ticking all the boxes except for the most significant one and ditched it.
2. Tata Nexon: The interiors, more so after checking out Seltos, didn’t give the feel good feeling one expects from their first buy. More so when one feels they can afford a better car.
3. Hyundai Creta: Never liked the looks of the car once, though my wife liked it better than Seltos. However, it being mostly a Seltos under the skin never gave the comfort of safety that was paramount. On top of it, the arrogance of the showroom to make accessories mandatory, nullified any potential chance of buying it.
4. Honda City: The only sedan that we seriously considered. However, couldn’t find a right seating position unless I brushed my head against the roof liner. On top of it there were doubts about the highway comfort and its ability to navigate our non-city roads without scrapping.
5. VW Taigun: We waited for half an hour at a relatively empty showroom for someone to attend us and decided to not consider it there itself. In any case, I would prefer Kushaq over Taigun.

This brings as to the final shortlist:

1. Skoda Kushaq: Really liked the driving dynamics in the city. While 1.5 is great, also found the 1.0 L to be adequate. The steering, given its lightness, is a joy to work with in the city. But apart from the timeless looks, and the steering wheel, there is nothing much to write home about. My wife feels that the feel of materials is like an Alto, and I will agree to some extent. Also, it doesn’t feel like a car we could keep for long as the interiors will not age well, both aesthetically as well as the feel. This car is at the sweet spot of my budget

2. Tata Harrier: I had driven a first generation Tata Harrier XZ in September and had become a fan of it’s highway manners, the great music system, the commanding driving position, and the way it looks. I remember turning back and admiring the car quite a few times during that phase. I find the interiors to be much better than Kushaq’s, aesthetically as well as build quality. Harrier seems more rugged, while there are some fit and finish issues. Liked the overall driving dynamics apart from the steering feel. I also found NVH of new Harrier to be better than Jeep Compass. However, there are following primary concerns for Harrier:
  • A. The first one is the heavy steering at low speeds. Though it lightens up considerably as soon as the car starts moving, it might still be a hassle, along with the size of the car, for my wife who is new to driving.
  • B. From the future proofing point of view:
  • Lack of wireless Android auto/carplay and overall ICE setup. I remember being fussing around with wires during the trip for Android auto. Will need help in understanding how easy it will be to upgrade it later without messing up the great music system
  • Ventilated seats – I understand this will not be possible.
  • One thought, given the pressure from XUV700, is TATA considering bringing a mid-life upgrade with better interiors or features?
  • c. Small issue that it is still not the most ergonomically designed cabin.
  • d. Though I could find a good driving position, the dead pedal is oddly placed where the clutch intrudes, and the dashboard panel also intrudes in the footwell area - could be lived with
  • e. The after sales and service experience in case of Tata. However, examples of keen interest shown by Tata management to sort out the issues does provide for some relief.
Having said that, around 22Lakhs OTR would be with within reach financially without too much of a stress financially.

3. Jeep Compass: Inspired by all the good reviews on Team BHP around tank like build quality, driving dynamics, we also test drove Jeep Compass. The interiors are the best we have seen and there definitely is the feel of a premium car. I could easily find a good driving position with multiple adjustment options. Really liked the driving dynamics. The suspension setup was perfect and didn’t find it stiff at lower speeds as some reviews mention it. Drove it over different kinds of surfaces on a longish 25 odd KMs test drive and really enjoyed the drive (Not sure if it was the comfort – the SA in the back seat fell asleep ). Though it doesn’t have the presence and space of a Harrier, however it seems to make up for it with the interior quality and the design. It also seems to be future proof as far as ICE is concerned with decent music system (though Harrier’s music system was the best). Only major omission is ventilated seats, which probably can be lived without.
However, the primary concern is around the multiple stories off late about the breakdown of the new Jeep Compass and horrible after sales support and lack of apathy from Jeep management and dealers. I also feel that the build quality has taken a bit of hit in the new gen Compass - I could see the wiring of electronic seat adjustment mechanism; the same with wing mirrors – where after setting them up for my requirements – I could see unpainted interior part of the mirror casing; the headlight stalk seemed flimsy. The NVH of Harrier seemed better to me than Compass.

The question I am not able to answer is if the Compass justifies the premium of 5 Lakhs over Harrier top end, or 7 lakhs in case of Model S of Compass. More so after so many stories of bad experiences and total apathy from Jeep management.

In addition, also wanted to get opinion if it makes sense of spending upto 27/29 lakhs on a car (read depreciating asset as my logical mind would like to say) considering current earnings and future expenses etc.? My entrepreneurial (risk taking) mind says Yes. My rational mind is divided, and my defence upbringing with roots in Rural India just find it vane.

And one final point, does it make sense to avail the year end discounts and buy current year's model?

Thank you for your patience of going through the whole post.

Most Viewed