Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: What should I buy?
Kia Carnival Prestige 90 35.29%
Toyota Innova Crysta VX 154 60.39%
Something else 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st July 2021, 14:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Kia Carnival Prestige vs Toyota Innova Crysta VX - Which to buy?

With the introduction of the '10 Year rule' in Delhi, I am forced to sell my very well maintained, and a vehicle I am very fond of - my 2012 Innova. Although it has done over 2.22 lac kms, it runs without a squeak or a rattle.

Anyways, we have shortlisted two cars for our next purchase. Its either a Crysta VX or a Carnival Prestige. For sometime I flirted with the idea of retaining the Innova and buying a pre-owned Camry. But, we have been spoilt by the space that Innova offers and ultimately Camry felt a bit cramped. Just couldn't imagine doing a long road trip in a Camry.

While my head says buy the Crysta, my heart has been swayed by the Carnival (I can listen to my head, more often than I like). In contrast, my mom and wife have fell for the Carnival, hook, line and sinker. But ultimately, cars being 'my department', they have left the decision to me.

Now my question to the wise folks here, will Carnival be the right choice given the following:

1) Like the current Innova, want the next car to do duty for us for the next 9-10 years (bear in mind Carnival is diesel engine only)

2) 9-10 years of ownership would mean crossing the 2 lac mark on the odo. Its not about raking up the miles, but how the car rakes them up. E.g. I don't like the condition of my friends Scorpio that just crossed 2lac kms. He is as devoted to his cars as me, if not more.

3) Innova never visited the service center apart from the mandated scheduled service, can the Carnival approach this in terms of reliability?

4) The Prestige variant inspite of it being the base variant in the Carnival, carries just too many features for my liking. I fear how long will they work without trouble? e.g. imagine the electric motor of Carnival's rear door conking off!

5) My cars are well maintained, but I do put them to hard use, e.g. travelling on cobbled rural roads, no roads, carry heavy load at times, and at the same time expect them to stay rattle free, just like the Innova did.

6) I like an odd-numbered list, but let me add one last point. Servicing a Toyota is a breezy affair. I have 3 Toyotas at the moment, and for each its just a no-hassle, drop the car and pick up the car at the designated time type of a thing. The whole servicing experience, is generally marked by a level of certainty that I just don't get to experience anywhere else, even across other consumer products and services. I don't expect Kia to be Toyota, but given the concession I am already making, how much more is needed or not needed?

PS: In terms of price, believe it or not, both the Crysta and Carnival are turning out to be as costly to purchase. All things adjusted ( e.g. sale of the Innova) I will have an outgo between 18 -19 lacs, should I pick either.

Finally, before I end, if there is any likelihood of Toyota launching a hybrid Crysta by end of next year, I will postpone this purchase.

Last edited by rrsteer : 21st July 2021 at 14:29.
rrsteer is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 15:42   #2
BHPian

Default re: Kia Carnival Prestige vs Toyota Innova Crysta VX - Which to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
1) Like the current Innova, want the next car to do duty for us for the next 9-10 years (bear in mind Carnival is a diesel engine only
2) 9-10 years of ownership would mean crossing the 2 lac mark on the odo. Its not about raking up the miles, but how the car rakes them up. E.g. I don't like the condition of my friends Scorpio that just crossed 2lac kms. He is as devoted to his cars as me, if not more.
Ideally, this should not be an issue with any modern car nowadays. With increasing reliability across brands, I am quite sure that the Carnival would be able to cross the 2L km mark. Albeit, with not as much ease as an Innova would and you might need to keep up with higher maintenance costs coupled with a few out of occasion visits to the ASC but nothing that would be too stressful.

Quote:
3) Innova never visited the service center apart from the mandated scheduled service, can the Carnival approach this in terms of reliability?
As I mentioned, ideally it would reach there. Also, Carnival is a last generation product (a new one is already on sale worldwide), niggles would have been sorted out by now and you should have more or less a trouble-free experience.

Quote:
4) The Prestige variant inspite of it being the base variant in the Carnival, carries just too many features for my liking. I fear how long will they work without trouble? e.g. imagine the electric motor of Carnival's rear door conking off!
Take the maximum Extended Warranty if you are worried about the gizmos. It will at least mitigate the prospective dent on the wallet if not on peace of mind.
Also, apart from the sliding doors, I don't think that there is much tech on the base variant. Manual handbrake, manual tailgate etecetera are the standard fare.

Quote:
5) My cars are well maintained, but I do put them to hard use, e.g. travelling on cobbled rural roads, no roads, carry heavy load at times, and at the same time expect them to stay rattle free, just like the Innova did.
This is the point where I would make the recommendation. Take out your cell phone and call your Toyota dealer for the booking.
Carnival is simply not meant for driving on bad roads and carrying heavy loads. It is only suited for the Tarmac.
Although, on paper, the GC of both cars varies only by 5mm. In reality, the Innova sits much higher. Carnival is a low vehicle with an extremely long wheelbase. You will end up scraping the underbelly of the car sometime or the other.
Rural roads also tend to be quite narrow. Carnival is an extremely wide car. It won't fit some residential lanes leave aside rural roads.
Finally the spare wheel. Just a single look at a spare wheel will make you wish that a puncture never happens. Here is an image of the same. It is pretty thin and cannot be used for long. Also, the punctured wheel you take out needs to go in the boot (cannot be put below the 2nd row seat). So if you have a fully loaded boot you are pretty much doomed.
Kia Carnival Prestige vs Toyota Innova Crysta VX - Which to buy?-2020kiacarnival30.jpg
Innova is a body on frame, RWD vehicle and can handle a fair amount of abuse apart from munching highway miles. Carnival is a low, extremely long monocoque FWD vehicle meant to be driven only on smooth tarmac.

If you plan on taking the Carnival through those rural roads, rattles are not your only worry.

Quote:
6) I like an odd-numbered list, but let me add one last point. Servicing a Toyota is a breezy affair. I have 3 Toyotas at the moment, and for each its just a no-hassle, drop the car and pick up the car at the designated time type of a thing. The whole servicing experience, is generally marked by a level of certainty that I just don't get to experience anywhere else, even across other consumer products and services. I don't expect Kia to be Toyota, but given the concession I am already making, how much more is needed or not needed?
Toyota service will always be unmatched but if the experiences of other BHPians are to go by, they are fairly satisfied. (Link (Kia Owners: How is the after-sales service experience from the dealer & company?))

Quote:
Finally, before I end, if there is any likelihood of Toyota launching a hybrid Crysta by end of next year, I will postpone this purchase.
A Hybrid is coming globally and that's a surety but will that make it to India, especially with hybrids being taxed higher? I am not quite sure.

I would say this again, Carnival is meant only for the highways. If even 20% of your use warrants extremely bad roads like you have mentioned, steer clear of the Carnival.
One more thing "only and Innova can replace an Innova".

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 21st July 2021 at 15:53.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 15:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Game Over, Khatm, Tata, Bye Bye!

With this point, you have yourself made it clear that Innova Crysta is the one to go for. Carnival has GC issues for sure and you are talking of hitting bad roads, as well as carrying heavy loads too. And when it comes to carrying heavy loads (not 40-50 kilo, I mean 'Heavy'), Fortuner and Scorpio are by far the best. Since they aren't in the list, so we are left with Innova Crysta only.

Rest, with the Shreyas's post, I really need not talk about anything else.

Last edited by VKumar : 21st July 2021 at 15:57.
VKumar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Crysta, if you want a complete fill it, shut it, forget it (old Hero Honda advertisement ) kind of experience. You definitely need the Crysta for your usage and peace of mind, forget the Carnival.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Just thought I will point out something to you from my personal experience. Having owned quite a few past gen Innova's as well as now the current gen Crysta; The new Crysta is not the same fill it, shut it, forget it type of a car that your 2012 Innova has been. They are just not the same cars anymore, Crysta is not as well built, well put together and the worst of all it does not even ride as well as the older Innovas. The Crysta also now comes with a whole bunch of electronics as compared to your 2012 Innova that have the same chances of going wrong as in a Kia. So I would recommend you to not blindly consider the Crysta as just another Innova and plonk your monies on it, do have a proper look at it and that Carnival definitely does deserve to be properly considered before you make a final decision, I think size wise it is bigger than the Crysta as well.
vvb8530 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:35   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Biggest drawback in the Carnival when I TDed it last week was the rear seat, they’re too close to the floor. If you’re about 5’6” above, you’ll find your knees pointing at the roof, as a result of sitting too low. This position WILL get uncomfortable for long drives, no doubt about it. For 30.xx lakhs, I find it too much of a compromise-forget about reliability and comparison of two brands prowess. This was the sole reason for rejecting the vehicle outright.
RJK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:15   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Just thought I will point out something to you from my personal experience. Having owned quite a few past gen Innova's as well as now the current gen Crysta; The new Crysta is not the same fill it, shut it, forget it type of a car that your 2012 Innova has been. They are just not the same cars anymore, Crysta is not as well built, well put together and the worst of all it does not even ride as well as the older Innovas. The Crysta also now comes with a whole bunch of electronics as compared to your 2012 Innova that have the same chances of going wrong as in a Kia. So I would recommend you to not blindly consider the Crysta as just another Innova and plonk your monies on it, do have a proper look at it and that Carnival definitely does deserve to be properly considered before you make a final decision, I think size wise it is bigger than the Crysta as well.
This is a very helpful post, could you pls elaborate more about the troubles/niggles you have faced with your Innova Crysta? We also own a 2014 Innova and are considering the Crysta as logical replacement.

Mods - pls merge back to back posts, sorry!
RJK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:18   #8
BHPian

Carnival is a host to a lot of electronics that can go wrong in the long run. Looking at your usage, Go for the Crysta. You'll adore the ride and I think a Garnet Red or Avant-Garde Bronze Crysta looks better than the KIA. If you're gonna use the car for 9 years, Crysta will see a lot of terrains and handle them well where the KIA might not. I jumped from a 2008 Innova G to a 2015 Innova V to the Crysta 2.8Z. Never been disappointed with the car. The Crysta does have more electronics than the old Innova because the car needs to be up to date with the market but the electronics are simpler, easy to use and trouble-free. However, the 2.8 engine will be missed in the new Crysta but the 2.4 is sublime. You may check out the KIA but for the long run, I'd stick with the Crysta. TD both and you will come to a conclusion.

Cheers.
speedfreak77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:59   #9
BHPian

We are also in the same conundrum but ours is also an Innova but 2011 version, which has run 1.82L Kms, and since we stay in Hyderabad, we don't have the Diesel ban rule after 10 years. But, still, we wanted to sell it off as we need an AT vehicle and we are considering Harrier XZA+, Crysta GX AT (don't have the budget for Z AT as my dad is not in a mood to spend another 6L for extra airbags and other bells and whistles) and my dad is fine with MT as well since he is mostly chauffeured.

But, my heart is saying to go for "Harrier" for its looks, performance (felt better than the Crysta), and better interiors than Crysta, while my head is saying to go for "Crysta" for its reliability and peace of mind.

Since you are considering the Crysta VX, why not consider Safari XZA+, which has better looks (especially that Adventure Persona variant), and the engine performance of the new Safari is miles ahead of the Crysta.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 20:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

The carnival has low ground clearance, with huge overhangs and long wheelbase.
Its fine for use on normal roads.
However, on rural roads, you will risk scraping the front or the belly.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 20:37   #11
BHPian

My two cents that will either help you or will confuse you further.

Being very close to the brand, owning one Carnival in the family and now having booked a new Crysta, I get where you come from when you have to make such a big decision. It's not everyday where you plonk 30 big ones on a car. So coming down to the Carnival, the car has the oomph factor that makes heads turn, it has space that no car in the Indian segment can beat right now - the wheelbase of the Carnival itself is as long as the pseudo compact suv's running around. The car is filled with modern gizmos, sunroofs and the works but that means only one thing, more stuff that can go wrong. Coming down to the parts , although its a 3rd generation vehicle with unlimited kms warranty for 3 years, its a CKD with many parts being have to be imported.Although touchwood our Carnival didn't need any additional visits to the service station apart from the normal service.

As others have pointed out , this is a very good car from home to office on plush tarred roads /highway drives where you don't feel a thing. The suspension is amazingly comfortable being multilink. But keeping all things aside I do not see this as a car that might be able to handle abuse. If you have to take it on non existing roads then its a car that you'd have to take as much care as you'd take of a Ferrari when you reach Ladakh. . I have taken this car on bad roads, Goan ferry rides and havent managed to scrape it till date but yes I had to drive cautiously with proper attention to what I'm doing. If this is a car that youll use sparingly then the Carnival can work very well for you.

If you have any questions about the Carnival I'd be happy to answer via PM.

P.S. The variant that you're looking for is the Second variant and not the base.

Last edited by richie4u : 21st July 2021 at 20:41.
richie4u is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 20:49   #12
BHPian

Hello RRSTEER,

Me and my family were looking to buy the carnival few years ago in the US. Later we couldn’t buy it for personal reasons.

We ended up with a preowned Honda Odyssey which is a van similar to the Carnival but odyssey is not sold in India.

Stating out of of my experience please carry out the following exercise . Walk to the Carnival and open the sliding doors using the remote . It will completely open up a new use case for you which the Innova cannot match with its swing open doors . Imagine that with hands full or for elderly people to get in or for 7 or 8 members to simply walk-in to the van. Or if the vehicles are parked next to each other closely such that swing open doors cannot be used. It is a supremely comfortable vehicle and everything just falls into one’s reach.

I found the driver seating position to be similar in Crysta here in India but Carnival may be more comfortable and spacious .

The carnival may actually last your rough use if it’s taken good care of. Plus Kia may try to go above and beyond for its Carnival customers.
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 21:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Kia carnival is a value for money offering that does provide a far superior ride and comfort for the money that is being paid. It might even be able to take on some bad roads. But when that is a regular pattern it is better to go for Body on Frame vehicles, or as in this case the Innova. Make no mistake the rugged underpinnings of the Innova will last much more than a monocoque setup. However if the car is mainly meant for the urban ride, do consider the carnival.

Comparing to life and long term reliability, enough has been said about the Toyota. Although there were some niggles and issues with the initial crysta, they were sorted out later on. My vote goes for the Crysta since there is nothing else like it that can take abuse all day and still run fine.

TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 00:26   #14
BHPian

The Carnival has low ground clearance and underbody is bound to scrape against the road, judging by the random speed breakers and often uneven roads in our country. Also, Kia after-sales service is still quite untested. Considering that you want to retain the new acquisition for over 8+ years, the simple and straight answer is to go for the Crysta without a shadow of doubt. Since you're an existing Toyota customer, I'm sure you appreciate the worry-free and seamless service offered by Toyota. The Crysta is now a time-tested beast and deserves your hard-earned money!
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 08:43   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kia Carnival Prestige vs Toyota Innova Crysta VX - Which to buy?

Quote:
My cars are well maintained, but I do put them to hard use, e.g. travelling on cobbled rural roads, no roads, carry heavy load at times, and at the same time expect them to stay rattle free, just like the Innova did.
While I love the Carnival and would buy it for myself over the Innova, for your kind of usage, the body-on-frame Innova Crysta with its tougher build + simpler construction + higher GC + relatively friendlier size is perhaps better suited. The Carnival is also very complex and repairs - when they come up at the 100000+ km mark - will be stupidly expensive. Most of these complex cars start showing some electronic gremlins or the other from the 6th - 8th year onward, even from the best of brands. There is also other stuff to consider like the 8-speed AT etc.

Go for the Innova Crysta. You just can't go wrong with an Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Having owned quite a few past gen Innova's as well as now the current gen Crysta; The new Crysta is not the same fill it, shut it, forget it type of a car that your 2012 Innova has been. They are just not the same cars anymore, Crysta is not as well built, well put together and the worst of all it does not even ride as well as the older Innovas.
I have too heard the same from other owners. It's still the best MPV IMHO, but Toyota did a "Honda" in terms of cost cutting as well as raising prices . Unlike the Honda City though, the Innova still has no real competition and seriously high customer loyalty with owners who will only replace an Innova with another Innova.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2021 at 08:49.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed