View Poll Results: What do you think?
Kia Sonet GTX Plus 128 49.61%
Skoda Kushaq Ambition 130 50.39%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 17:59   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Automatic Crossover: Kia Sonet topmost variant vs Skoda Kushaq entry variant?

A friend who isn't a car person asks for advice. We just bought my bhabhi a Sonet GTX Plus that she is extremely happy with. Now, my friend was almost sold on the Sonet too after seeing my bhabhi's car, until the Kushaq's launch. She likes brand Skoda & the Kushaq's design, but isn't one to care about build, driving dynamics etc.

The Sonet's top GTX Plus variant is about 15-lakhs OTR Mumbai and comes loaded with all the goodies (fast turbo petrol, smooth DCT, Bose sound, ventilated seats etc.). The Kushaq at a similar price point (16.5-lakhs OTR) is the Ambition 1.0 AT.

Usage is primarily in the city. Family of just three. She, her spouse & a kid. I think she'll enjoy the Sonet more. What say?
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 18:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatic Crossover: Kia Sonet topmost variant vs Skoda Kushaq entry variant?

The Kushaq ambition AT is well equipped enough, but it can't hold a candle to the Sonet AT in terms of equipment. I don't think there's any right or wrong car here at all. It's all based on what suits the buyer.

- Kushaq for the looks (personal opinion), build quality, interior space (much better knee room than the Sonet for sure) and a more reliable torque converter paired to an equally good if not better 1.0 TSI engine. (Though the Sonet might be quicker on paper). No comments on safety until the ratings are out

- Sonet for the bells and whistles, a faster DCT gearbox (whose reliability is uncertain) and maybe the snazzy looking interiors if those appeal to him.

I personally believe paying anything more than 12-13 big ones for these compact SUVs like the Sonet isn't quite worth it. Around the 15L mark, there are far better options even if you keep aside the Kushaq.

One that comes to my mind is the S-cross 1.5 AT. If he isn't an enthusiast and can forego the Maruti badge, it's a compelling option. Want something smaller? A Vitara Brezza AT. Yes it's a 4 speed torque converter, but it will last a lifetime and more importantly, shifts as smooth as butter. Even the engine it comes paired to isn't half as bad. Very refined typical of Japanese petrols. Another compact SUV that he can consider is the Ecosport 1.5 Dragon 6-speed TC.

I feel all three of these are priced quite well for what they offer. In terms of features, yes, they do fall short and even in terms of driving pleasure perhaps. But, for a non car guy puttering about in the city, I don't see the need for anything else.

Last edited by vishy76 : 1st August 2021 at 18:52.
vishy76 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:08   #3
BANNED

Re: Automatic Crossover: Kia Sonet topmost variant vs Skoda Kushaq entry variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
isn't one to care about build, driving dynamics etc
We BHPians do specialize in two areas:
1) Add more to the confusion
2) We care about both of the above mentioned parameters, no matter what we suggest, we will have these two in in the back of our mind

I normally make it a case to not suggest the cars which come associated with a risk to anyone in my circle, if someone asks about them, all I say is "if you like it, get it". It's a simple concept - "if you want to buy on my suggestion, I will suggest the safer option. If you want to take the risk, I will show a thumbs up".

Since the person in question is already sold on Sonet, it's no use adding more to their confusion. Even thinking of other cars will be termed as "beating around the bush". Make them buy anything else, and they will be sad for the missing features which impressed them, even more whenever they will get to drive or even look at a top end Sonet on the roads. I have voted for Kushaq by mistake, if there is an option to change it, then it has to be the Sonet in this particular case. It's a better car for city drives at least and also comes loaded with a long list of features.

And above everything, even if anything goes wrong, I would still trust Hyundai and Kia more than Skoda. We have seen examples of how Hyundai and Kia are very promptly resolving the issues that are being reported by the members over the forum time and again.

Last edited by VKumar : 1st August 2021 at 19:12.
VKumar is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:17   #4
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I'd avoid the Sonet purely because it has a dry clutch DCT. I was earlier of the opinion that only the DQ200 is to be avoided but after reading multiple reports of DCT failures of the Hyundai-Kia group, I'd avoid any dry clutch DCT. At least the mass market ones.

My suggestion would be the Kushaq ambition.

Though if a diesel can be considered, I'd pick the Sonet diesel over either of the options, enjoy the torque and the peace of mind that shall come with a torque converter.

Last edited by AYP : 1st August 2021 at 19:20.
AYP is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Must have features in my opinion:
Power steering, windows, remote locking, airbags, ABS, reverse sensors, audio system with steering buttons.
Auto AC
Reverse camera
Android auto/Apple CarPlay
Cruise control
Electrically folding ORVMs.

Kia Sonet GT Line is a fully loaded car with wireless android auto, apple carplay, ventilated seats, TPMS, sunroof and what not. Modern looks- check. Adequate space is also present for her three people family.

Still, Kushaq is not too big for city traffic, has more appeal and the ambition variant has all must have features from the list I posted above. Service experience in Mumbai should be reasonable as well.

I would pick Kushaq over Sonet because of the road presence alone and that is what I have voted for.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If going for the Sonet prefer the diesel 6spd torque converter AT, the DCT however good it maybe can’t hold a candle to the simple 6spd AT!

Kushaq is better in terms of build, but it doesn’t wow with it’s features. It’s more for the driver!

Car enthusiasts will prefer the Kushaq but people not into cars will surely take a liking to the feature-loaded Sonet!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

The OP seems to be quite sold in the Sonet then that's the one they should get and voted likewise.

Agree with earlier posts that you should get the one you like and you'll be happy.

Personally I would prefer the Kushaq as a car but as a package I would avoid getting any car in its first iteration.

Last edited by shancz : 1st August 2021 at 19:31. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The Skoda’s USPs are its engine, it’s drivetrain and it’s dynamics. If the user is a casual and doesn’t care about or appreciate these attributes, what’s the point? Might as well get all those features that the person can actually see and be happy about. The person clearly doesn’t need the extra space either. It also helps that the Sonet is a fairly good all rounder, especially for the non enthusiast.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st August 2021 at 19:34.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:55   #9
BHPian

From the post description, I think your friend is 'more' interested in Sonet. With non-car people, the list of features is more than enough for anyone to veer his/her decision towards Sonet.

Sonet positives:
Feature set.
After Sales Service (A.S.S) experience will be better from Kia = assuming prompt response & peace of mind.

Sonet negatives:
The only wary part is the DCT transmission.

Kushaq positives:
Liking towards Skoda brand & Kushaq's design.
Ride, handling package will always benefit anyone (even non-car guys).
Reliable automatic transmission.

Kushaq negatives:
After Sales Service (A.S.S) experience.

I'm assuming that your bhabhi has bought Sonet Diesel 6AT which is more reliable than DCT.
Maybe they can consider 1.0 T-GDi 6iMT variant of it.

Skoda Kushaq has 'sufficient/enough' features. Though, your friend may at times feel that car has less features whenever they see Sonet top-end. But I always assume that as time passes, the person gets used to current feature set & may not likely miss those extra features in Sonet. Its in the initial stages where one might feel lack of features.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since the use case is primarily within the city, a DCT Sonet doesn't augur well in the long term. IMT Sonet makes for a better choice I feel, else the AT diesel Sonet. With it comes a 1.5L engine as against the 3 pot 1.0L Skoda, a diesel AT and most importantly the reliable torque converter too. All this at 25K lesser than Kushaq for the top end GTX+. Car wale shows the below price.

Automatic Crossover: Kia Sonet topmost variant vs Skoda Kushaq entry variant?-screenshot_20210801205914_carwale.jpg

I voted for Kushaq purely since it's a better engineered car and scores well on the core aspects and in all possibility will end up with a better crash rating than Sonet if we go by the Seltos debacle. It's a tough choice only if safety is a big concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The Kushaq 1.0 TSI has a 6-speed torque converter not a DSG gearbox.
Oops! my bad. Missed that, Thanks for the correction

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st August 2021 at 21:07.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
With respect to transmission, it's a case of getting caught between the devil and deep sea. Both are dual clutch GB and the use case is primarily within the city which doesn't augur well in the long term. IMT Sonet makes for a better choice I feel, else the AT diesel Sonet. With it comes a 1.5L engine as against the 3 pot 1.0L Skoda , a diesel AT and most importantly the reliable torque converter.

I voted for Kushaq purely since it's a better engineered car and scores well on the core aspects and in all possibility will end up with a better crash rating than Sonet if we go by the Seltos debacle. It's a tough choice only if safety is a big concern.
The Kushaq 1.0 TSI has a 6-speed torque converter not a DSG gearbox.
vishy76 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 21:16   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The Sonet's top GTX Plus variant is about 15-lakhs OTR Mumbai and comes loaded with all the goodies (fast turbo petrol, smooth DCT, Bose sound, ventilated seats etc.). The Kushaq at a similar price point (16.5-lakhs OTR) is the Ambition 1.0 AT.

Usage is primarily in the city. Family of just three. She, her spouse & a kid. I think she'll enjoy the Sonet more. What say?
My pick: The SONET DIESEL A/T

I hate responding to specific polls with an unasked option but in this case I’d say they should hands down pick up the top of line diesel A/T of the Sonet. The only area where I feel the Kushaq scores over the Sonet is back seat comfort. For a nuclear family of three which has one kid, I think the Sonet back seat will pass muster.

The Sonet feels comparably plush to the Kushaq and will in fact feel a tad more modern on account of certain prominent areas like their more sophisticated looking info cockpit. It now comes with paddle shifters, I think it also has a mini sun roof and most creature comforts one would desire. The brilliant mating of the diesel A/T will be just perfect along with the peace of mind that the safe high performing torque converter will bring. I test drove the diesel A/T recently for a friend and came away very impressed.

If the diesel is absolutely a no go area then I would pick the 1.0 Kushaq A/T purely because it side steps the DSG gremlins of the Skoda 1.5 TSI as well as the DCT gremlins of the Kia petrol A/T.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st August 2021 at 21:17.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 07:50   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. Just a note = picking the torque-converter of the Kushaq for "reliability" is like going to Afghanistan for a "safe" holiday. The Kushaq is a Skoda after all and long-term ownership will have its own set of headaches. Of course, the torque-converter will be more reliable than the Kushaq 1.5's DSG, but I wouldn't buy a Kushaq for reliability, no matter what engine / tranny combination.

The irony is, the Sonet will be no angel either. You have the DCT and the usual quality issues that Hyundai-Kia have been struggling with.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys. Just a note = picking the torque-converter of the Kushaq for "reliability" is like going to Afghanistan for a "safe" holiday. The Kushaq is a Skoda after all and long-term ownership will have its own set of headaches. Of course, the torque-converter will be more reliable than the Kushaq 1.5's DSG, but I wouldn't buy a Kushaq for reliability, no matter what engine / tranny combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

If the diesel is absolutely a no go area then I would pick the 1.0 Kushaq A/T purely because it side steps the DSG gremlins of the Skoda 1.5 TSI as well as the DCT gremlins of the Kia petrol A/T.
You’re absolutely right GTO. I know you’re responding to many here but at least in the context of my response, I meant it would side step one key gremlin. Combined with the fact that Kia DCT vs Skoda 1.5 (not that the latter was a listed option here) the Kia would be less fun to drive, likely as risky on the tranny, and the fact that Kia’s sole dealer is Autobahn in South Mumbai, I just felt the Kushaq 1.0 A/T would make an acceptable choice in that limited two horse race even with its residual issues.

Which is why again, I feel that her ideal choice should in fact be the diesel Sonet.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

As a car person I prefer my friends buying vehicles that does not give them a headache a few years down the line or a panic call to me.

As you drive past the massive factory in Ananthapur , you would realise that this brand is here to stay - KIA. The new Skoda is very new, we need to allow our roads to give it the shakedown test before putting money down on it.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks