Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2007, 22:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I guess you can even consider the new Montero expected out soon. that should have a pretty soft ride.
Hasn't Zak got one already..
If i remember correctly he ICEd it too...
Old 19th May 2007, 22:24   #47
Team-BHP Support

If it doesnt pitch then the Safari is the way to go. I've driven it on the highway but don't remember the pitching part.

The ride over bad roads and even if you miss a speedbreaker I guess in unmatched.

Quote:
Hasn't Zak got one already..
If i remember correctly he ICEd it too...
Zakko has the current Montero. This has already stopped. It will be replaced by the new new montero end of june. It will be priced at 40L.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th May 2007 at 22:32.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

The ride quality on the safari is very good indeed....but then you have to deal with its tall handling characteristics, which you wont have to deal with in the camry. You'l love the safari in no-road or broken roads. No it doesn't pitch...but you might have to get a bit used to the roll.

The difference in quality levels between the safari and camry is light years....thats why it costs more. But having said that i wouldn't trade my safari for anything else.

Drifter
Old 19th May 2007, 22:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I guess you can even consider the new Montero expected out soon. that should have a pretty soft ride.
Is this gonna be a CBU as the current one? In that case even this one will be priced at some ridiculous 35lac level :P.
Old 20th May 2007, 01:27   #50
BHPian

The traveling sofa it is then.. Now for a Test Drive. I requested one from Wasan motors in chembur using the TATA website more than a week back, no luck so far..
Old 20th May 2007, 10:49   #51
BHPian

Guys, thanks for all your feedback.. while I'm waiting for the TD, can anyone tell me what is the main difference between VX and EX/LX ? I don't mind paying for the maximum options in VX, BUT I REALLY like the cladding that is not the same as body colour. That looks more sporty. Is it possible to get different colour cladding for VX ? or is it possible to get an EX/LX and upgrade to VX levels ?

thanx!
Old 20th May 2007, 12:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

The following are three models available in the safari range.

LX - Base
EX - Mid
VX - Top

The difference between the LX and EX is roof-mounted AC, fog lamps, clock on centre console, Slightly different spare wheel cover, there are a few more but can't remember right now.

Alright the EX comes with grey cladding and difference between the EX and VX is ABS, Airbags, Reverse Camera, Alloys, Body Coloured Cladding, Leather Seats, Different Finish on Central Console, DVD system.

The EX 4x4 comes with company alloys.

It isn't possible to get all the equipment from the VX onto EX, like the ABS airbags, it is however possible to get the reverse camera. But i'd suggest you get the VX and if you are really keen to get grey cladding, push your dealer to sell it to you. He can always put your painted cladding on another customer's vehicle who might have demanded coloured claddings. In fact, if thats the case, he need not even charge you.

Drifter
Old 20th May 2007, 14:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortfreak View Post
BUT I REALLY like the cladding that is not the same as body colour.
The cycle wallas, scooter wallas & the Auto wallas will do that for you . Get it from the dealer itself, but in exchange for the coloured ones & not a paise more! After all, he can always sell it someone else who is trying to upgrade from LX/EX to VX levels

Get the top end Vxi with all the gizmos, that too at half the price of a Camry!
Old 20th May 2007, 17:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

The VX Safari seems to be better equipped then the Camry

Why dont you go to some other dealer?
Old 20th May 2007, 17:38   #55
BHPian

for comfort over normal roads id go with the camry. it really is very very comfy.
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:24   #56
BHPian

Does Safari come with an Automatic Transmission option ?
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

No,the safari does not have the automatic transmission option.
Old 26th May 2007, 00:00   #58
BHPian

Guys, I did a Test Drive on Tata Safari EX (Vx not being available) from Wasan motors in Chembur. Good people, only ones in New Bombay who actually answer their phones, fairly prompt and intelligent responses, good manners, actually calls you back !!! Atleast as far as the TD went, I'd recommend Wasan as a good place to do business.

However!, I did not like the safari. The ride was very plush, BUT the roll was way way too much. Both me and my wife are of smaller build and we spent half the time (made the Wasan driver chauffeur us to get the passenger feel) getting thrown around in the back even at moderate speeds while going over bumps or curves. Basically the suspension is nice and soft but the dampers are very bad.

Then I tried driving it and it was quite horrible. I didn't expect something as smooth as a foreign SUV, but I didn't expect a 'truck' either. The stick had a long travel and hard to shift, clutch was hard to press and when released came back to normal position rather slowly instead of engaging instantly. Even after fully releasing the accelerator, if one pressed the clutch instantly the engine would revv too high. So one had to wait a wee bit between accelerator and clutch going both ways. Between that and the tough shifting it was a very tiring effort to drive it. I also noticed that while backing up it was very hard to turn the steering (pulling out of parking) as if power steering was off on reverse. The steering wheel is too large and even with power steering one has to really tuuuurrn to go where one wants to. You have to be a tall person with an active ourdoorsy life style (strong arms and legs, unlike a software programmer trained to use only finger tips!!) to enjoy this machine.

While it may still be a VFM package for the price, I think this truck is useful only if

1) You are a serious off-roader and still want some comfort
2) You have lots of passengers and luggage
3) You have a good driver who won't leave you for something easier to drive AND you have tuned and suspension and changed tyres to reduce roll.
4) You love the looks, which I do

With better damping of suspension and an automatic shift, this vehicle has the potential to be a really good SUV in the future.
Old 26th May 2007, 09:43   #59
Team-BHP Support

Ok since your not happy with the Safari, which is completely understandable since it is a bit brute and truckish you could instead consider this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nd-vitara.html

It seems to be just around the corner. If you wait a while this really looks promising as per your needs.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:16   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

You could look at the CRV alongwith the expected Vitara

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks