Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 16:23   #1
BHPian

Camry OR Safari ? Which has a more COMFORTABLE ride ?

Guys,

Don't kill me for asking this strange question, but I'm planning to buy a new car and the MOST important thing for me is to have a super soft ride. I can't handle bumps and rattle from the road, period. I don't care about the handling or the looks of the interiors, but I want the best ride. I have heard that Camry has the best ride of all cars (under 50 lakhs ?). I have also heard about the super soft ride in a Safari. I really like Safari for other things, including low cost!!. Do you think the softness of the ride in a Safari is comparable to a Camry ?

thanks.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you take a test drive in both of them.
The one you find softer you buy, in the end its your choice.
All of us are built differently, so if a car is comfortable for one does not mean its comfortable for another.
So sit in both, take a ride, in the front seat, in the back seat, and then decide.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since you're considering the Camry, I assume you have the budget for it. Therefore cost shouldnt be a consideration here.

The Camry has a pretty soft suspension, though the newer one has a slightly firmer one without compromising comfort. Go for it by all means - you cant beat the world's largest selling full-size Saloon/Sedan for reliability, comfort or indeed anything else except slightly insipid (but high quality nonetheless) interiors.

Still beats me why you would compare the two - there is NO comparison whatsoever between the two. Why arent you considering the CRV?

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th May 2007 at 23:30.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Still beats me why you would compare the two - there is NO comparison whatsoever between the two.
The only reason i see is that the safari would cost half the price.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Is ground clearance a concern to you? if it is your better off with the Safari. But in your budget there are other cars offering good ride comfort. There's the X-trail and CR-V.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Is ground clearance a concern to you? if it is your better off with the Safari. But in your budget there are other cars offering good ride comfort. There's the X-trail and CR-V.
Vid,

From his quote :
Quote:
the MOST important thing for me is to have a super soft ride. I can't handle bumps and rattle from the road,
I reckon its for handling bad roads - but city bound.

ComfortFreak - as tsk1979 suggested TD both and fill out the cheque appropriately
Old 13th May 2007, 23:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortfreak View Post
the MOST important thing for me is to have a super soft ride.
Got a really bad back or neck? If yes, thats my story too....
Old 13th May 2007, 23:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really like Safari for other things,including low cost
I think the other assumes importance here,maybe something special.

If you are looking for a true-blue suv not much of a choice in India[if importing is not an option],except the choices from the mitsubishi stable.

One more thing I think you should hire a good driver,cause even the best vehicle will have its limits,a good driver can make a lot of difference.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th May 2007 at 00:43.
Old 14th May 2007, 00:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

What about the Nissan Teana?
Old 14th May 2007, 02:51   #10
BHPian

Also a hard look at Skoda superb and like Steeroid said CRV is recomended.

On the subject(based on individual experience), Camry never had the ride of its European counterparts, Safari DID.... :-).
Old 14th May 2007, 03:18   #11
BHPian

the dubai cab or the indigenous middle class SUV....hmmm!
wierd comparison.what do you have up your sleeve?
Old 14th May 2007, 06:48   #12
BHPian

Since you mentioned less than 50L why not the Mec - the E class should give you a good ride..
Old 14th May 2007, 09:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

According to me Safari gives best comfort, althugh I have not sit in Camry I feel Safari anyday should be better when it comes to bad roads but you might be irritated by its unexpected noisy interiors sometimes.. However if you service it once in 3 months safari will be super smooth.

Camry in other way its three class above its a royal car! with great looks.

Also I agree with what Rahul says, Good Pilot makes lot of difference with ride comfort, I have experience with it while choosing one for my Cars.

Ravi.
Old 14th May 2007, 09:26   #14
BHPian

As Navin said why dont you look at Nissan Teana ? Camry and Teana are supposed to have the best ride comfort in that class and both are priced similarly. I am not sure about Nissan's after sales and dealer network, but i presume that it should be good at Mumbai. Safari, is a different class of vehicle, a better off roader and I am not sure of rattling interiors after a few years.
Old 14th May 2007, 09:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Camry XLE V6 is one of the most comfortable cars I've been in. The performance ain't anything to write home about but its pretty nimble when r equired. The USP of this car though is the amount of space and comfort which is just amazing. The Leather seats are real soft and comfy with lumbar support. It also has motorized controls for the seats so all you need to do to move it is press a button. The rear legroom is probably the best in its class. Even has rear AC vents to keep the rear passengers comfortable.
If you do get the Camry, make sure that its the V6. The inline 4cyl 2.4 is very underpowered for the size of the car.

Most Viewed