Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 00:36   #16
BHPian

re: Which Crossover for my Dad? S-Cross vs Creta vs Seltos vs Sonet vs others

If you finally go for the S-Cross, opt for the MT & not the AT.

Since your dad is already driving a Honda, why don't you consider the WRV ?
Personally, I'm not a fan of how it looks from the rear but looks are subjective & your father just might like it.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 08:17   #17
BHPian

Re: Which Crossover for my Dad? S-Cross vs Creta vs Seltos vs Sonet vs others

I would highly recommend to narrow down your search to automatic transmission only. It is easier to drive, more convenient especially for the senior drivers. From the options you have listed, I would recommend the S-Cross AT.

You should also check out the Toyota Yaris. It is about to be discontinued and is being sold at heavy discounts. It has a smooth, NA petrol engine coupled with a great CVT. It is feels only slightly less refined than the City but makes up for it in the Ground Clearance department. Although the GC is not too high, Toyota springs sag way less than Honda and the Yaris does not have a tendency to scrap its underbelly like the City.

On a side note, avoid going into the sub 4-metre segment from the City. It will feel like a downgrade in terms of interior space and comfort.

Hope this will help your buying decision. Cheers!
mohitchalla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 09:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Cars :
1. S-Cross : perfectly matches your needs and budget, have a feeling this is what you'll end up buying because its our transformer Get the Zeta if you do.

2. Nexon : mainly because he liked it and the maintenance isn't an unknown

3.Kushaq/Taigun : mainly because he liked it but maintenance is an unknown plus comes with historical baggage on which Skoda are still to prove themselves.

Transmission Choice : I understand the benefits of an automatic are very useful for seniors but a big prerequisite is that they have to be comfortable with it. In case of my dad automatic was thrown out if the window as he wanted a "simple" car and not having to remember anything while driving.
But this depends on person to person and priorities change with age, be clear on that. Someone in Bengaluru traffic will understand the importance if an auto but in smaller cities with lower traffic and driving time it isn't that big a deal.

S-Cross automatic, deriving from people who have bought it on TBHP is actually best suited for your use case. I am guessing the "noise" at 80-90 kmph that people are talking about could be the engine revving up in 3rd. I don't see that as a problem though. Read up on it if you want the automatic.
But of course it won't have the "silence" of a 6 speed auto which is ticking at 1000rpm in 5th at those speeds(just a reference, not actual figures).

Check out these links i could recall on similar situations : Credits to fellow BHPians who contributed

Last edited by shancz : 17th August 2021 at 09:13. Reason: corrections
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 10:29   #19
BHPian

I'd recommend the S Cross for his age. My dad at 62 has a newfound love for driving with the S Cross AT. It's a simple, yet reliable 4AT torque converter Aisin Warner gearbox that has done duty in many a Toyotas of the 90's and 00's over the world.
Heck, even the gearbox oil change in the manual says 1.10L kms or 10 years! So yes, it does have its proof of reliability.

It's surprisingly pretty sweet to drive. The low end is strong with a good pull, mid range is slightly flat as the 2-3 gearing is tall but it's really good at the top end. (110kph on 4th gear at just 2300rpm). It is a cruiser and can munch miles all day long.

Plus, its VFM. The Alpha variant in Punjab should not be more than 14-14.5L which suits your budget.

As you mentioned, do look at the Kushaq but go with the 1.0L TSI TC AT. Since its a turbo engine, do drive it to see the transition of power delivery. There could be a mild lag at the bottom end and sudden burst of power (I haven't driven this but I find this with my Seltos DCTs spiky power delivery and this does take some getting used to.)

Personally, for his age you must take the reliability route over a new product. Since the Kushaq is new, there could be niggles/minor issues cropping up in the first lots and Skoda ASS is a hit or miss. The horror stories of customers is what would make me stay away from Skoda, but do have a look at the product and understand it better. All the best!
advenk999 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Not to confuse further but I'd suggest your dad to test drive the XUV300 petrol MT. The 1.2 turbo is a killer in terms of power and overall refinements. I am a happy owner and have not encountered any unpleasant experience so far. Best in terms of features in the segment and one above. The turbo petrol is the most powerful in the segment with 200 nm torque. Overall specs, looks, features and most importantly safety (comes with 7 airbags and loaded to the grill safety features) put it a segment above. I don't think the boot space is a major deal breaker for your dad, so a test drive would definitely make way for better decision making.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:40   #21
BHPian

I will suggest to do a recce of existing dealers before you put money for either of their new cars. I value peace of mind above all for folks in elder age. If you are being around, then that's a different situation and you can very well manage this aspect.

My second concern is that the new car should not have too many quirks compared to the earlier cars driven by elder folks. Like, 1.0tsi in VAG cars have an aggressive launch in start stop traffic which will take a bit of getting used to.

Since your father has a liking to the optics of the car, chances are that this factor alone may be the deciding factor. Your annual running is low, else Sonet diesel auto would have been a good pick. No turbo lag, very mature auto setup and a hit among folks looking for aesthetic appeal. Do give a try to Sonet petrol in auto trim and let us know how you felt. The mid variant should be in your budget.

If it's a manual, I will suggest to be with likes of Maruti's NA engines. For all the bashing that Maruti gets, very few motors can beat theirs in Petrol NA category. Their 1.5L motor is tuned to keep the masters happy.

Last edited by headbanger : 17th August 2021 at 13:45.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:14   #22
BHPian

Nice handle, a fellow fan of the metro series I see . The best possible scenario would have to be the S-Cross automatic. You want a fuss free ownership and a reliable car that will serve you for years and is simple enough to drive without having to worry about gimmicky gizmos acting up? The S-Cross.

Don't worry too much about the gearing, the car can cruise all day long. Just don't go looking for explosive DSG like gearshifts and aggressive performance. Another nice option mentioned by someone here was the Honda WR-V, might be worth looking into but I believe there's no automatic variant on offer.
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Scross is a 4 speed AT and i heard it gets loud around 80 or 90.Is that true?
What has transmission anything to do with noise. Even on a 1.3D, the noisiest component are those stock Elanzos. Recently swapped them with Continental UC6 and the difference is day and night.

For 60 plus and driving majorly inside city, the not so enthusiastic engine and transmission will work. FE is definitely better than Hyundai-Kia's petrol engines. On the S-Cross ownership groups, I've seen some unreal 20+ kpl FE on highways, which I find acceptable even in a diesel.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2021 at 05:17. Reason: Acronym
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 16:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... shifted from NA to Turbo ...
Small turbo petrol + MT can be tricky for older people to get used to, esp. if they're used to driving an NA motor. My dad loves driving the JTP on the open road, but absolutely detests it in-city. 'It's like trying to walk a large, excitable dog', he says.

If your dad's already rejected the Brezza, S-Cross may be a tough sell. Looks apart, the overall experience; drivetrain, interiors, service etc. will be pretty similar. It's a great choice for the use-case though.

If not the Suzuki, look at the Korean 1.5 NA CVT variants, smooth and reliable for sedate use. VAG cars are best not considered if fuss-free ownership is a deal-breaker criteria. Great powertrains and probably the most premium of the lot, but service has a long way to catch up.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 16:41   #25
BHPian

S Cross AT is highly recommended. However if you have reservations about the 4 speed AT in S Cross, the Ford EcoSport Titanium+ AT is a worthy alternative in every sense. This is 6 speed AT with paddle shifters. The engine AT gearbox combo in EcoSport is one of the best and reliable in this price range. And it also has a very good GC which may be to your dad's liking. So, do not think too far ahead with rumours about Ford's India exit - it may or may not happen. But this vehicle will definitely last long if well maintained.
ashking101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
If you finally go for the S-Cross, opt for the MT & not the AT.
why don't you consider the WRV ?
Appreciate your response sirji.
Initial thought was to go for a manual to lessen the number of thinsg to learn but then few years down the lane comfort driving will be a major factor so now thinking of buying a proper Automatic.
Although the manual option is always available.
My Cousin has a WRV Athough Diseal and my dad has driven it and didnt like it and again asking him to drive a 1.2 Petrol after driving a 1.5 iVTEC would be a sin.Isnt It?
More than that this time I am admant to buy a vehicle which has a better build. Again no offence to any Honda Owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post
I would highly recommend to narrow down your search to automatic transmission only.
It is easier to drive, more convenient especially for the senior drivers.
From the options you have listed, I would recommend the S-Cross AT.
You should also check out the Toyota Yaris.
On a side note, avoid going into the sub 4-metre segment from the City.
We are now looking at Auto Transmission with an pen mind due to the same points you mentioned.
As of today even i believe S cross AT as a perfect candidate but again its too ealy as the TD has not been taken .Only a visula inspection was done by him while passing by the showroom.
Toyota Yaris was not considered due to being a Sedan. Dad wants to try something so..
Space is not a major concern as its only my parents who will be driving 99% of the times. Ofcourse dome adjustment has to be made .
Thats why i have asked him to spend some good amount of time in driving the sub 4 meters to be 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Cars :
1. S-Cross : perfectly matches your needs and budget, have a feeling this is what you'll end up buying because its our transformer Get the Zeta if you do.
2. Nexon : mainly because he liked it and the maintenance isn't an unknown
3.Kushaq/Taigun : mainly because he liked it but maintenance is an unknown plus comes with historical baggage on which Skoda are still to prove themselves.
Transmission Choice : I understand the benefits of an automatic are very useful for seniors but a big prerequisite is that they have to be comfortable with it.
In case of my dad automatic was thrown out if the window as he wanted a "simple" car and not having to remember anything while driving.
Check out these links i could recall on similar situations : Credits to fellow BHPians who contributed
Even my gut feeling says Scross will be the one but then we are still keeping our mind open
Nexon was later on dropped as the service center from TATA in Punjab is notorous for doing One two ka Four.
Taigun was like a love at first sight but then we realised its out of our budget and that love was infact Infatuation :-)
A proper TC gearbox is what i feel will do justice to the investment however its too early and a test drive will reveal if the Auto option stays or goes out of the window.
The good part is that my dad is keeping an open mind and is all game to try things out and then take the descision patiently and not in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
I'd recommend the S Cross for his age. My dad at 62 has a newfound love for driving with the S Cross AT.
It's a simple, yet reliable 4AT torque converter Aisin Warner gearbox that has done duty in many a Toyotas of the 90's and 00's over the world.
The Alpha variant in Punjab should not be more than 14-14.5L which suits your budget.
Do look at the Kushaq but go with the 1.0L TSI TC AT.
Personally, for his age you must take the reliability route over a new product
I appreciate the confidence inspiring words for the S cross AT.
Even my gut feeling says it would be S Cross AT .
Reliability is ofcourse the top priority here especially when coming from a fuss free ownership.No copromises there.
Kushq will be dropped mainly due to the price point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Not to confuse further but I'd suggest your dad to test drive the XUV300 petrol MT.
The 1.2 turbo is a killer in terms of power and overall refinements.
I am a happy owner and have not encountered any unpleasant experience so far.
XUV300 is a value proposition for sure and is a solid vehicle.
Will definately consider it for the TD.
Thanks for the suggestion sirji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I value peace of mind above all for folks in elder age.
My second concern is that the new car should not have too many quirks compared to the earlier cars driven by elder folks.
Since your father has a liking to the optics of the car, chances are that this factor alone may be the deciding factor.
If it's a manual, I will suggest to be with likes of Maruti's NA engines.
Peace of mind is surely of utmost importance one due to the age and secondly due to the previosu experience. No doubt about that .
One of the reason to consider S cross was due to the minimum number for these quirky features which are added to the vehicle.
These features might sound simple but for a new driver its a overheard atlest till they get used to it.
Liking for the optics has kinda taken a hit and now the other factors have also weighed in equally( Transmission, Size, Engine etc) so that will help us to make a informed descision.
Sonet Petrol iMT is being seriously considered as it preety much covers all the priorities
Quick question though. Should we consider the Polo TSI AT version as its a good vehicle with a smaller size good for city driving and inspires confidence on highway as well.
Again i might be utterly stupid to consider that but what are your views on that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Nice handle, a fellow fan of the metro series I see .
The best possible scenario would have to be the S-Cross automatic.
Don't worry too much about the gearing, the car can cruise all day long
Die hard fan brother :-)
S cross automatic sems like a perfect replacement vehicle due to all the tick boxes it ticks.
TD is scheduled in a day or two and soom we will know :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What has transmission anything to do with noise.
For 60 plus and driving majorly inside city, the not so enthusiastic engine and transmission will work.
I was refering to the iVtec refinement and a comparision to that with the Scross AT .
S cross does fit the bill perfectly so far
TD are still going on lets see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Small turbo petrol + MT can be tricky for older people to get used to, esp. if they're used to driving an NA motor.
If your dad's already rejected the Brezza, S-Cross may be a tough sell.
If not the Suzuki, look at the Korean 1.5 NA CVT variants, smooth and reliable for sedate use.
VAG cars are best not considered if fuss-free ownership is a deal-breaker criteria.
Great powertrains and probably the most premium of the lot, but service has a long way to catch up.
Due to this jerly nature I am started looking for a AT which can balance things.
Brezza was dropped due to the looks and the looks were acceptable for him with the S cross.
Sonet iMT is being seriously considered and is next in line for the TD.
Quick question though.
Should we consider the Polo TSI AT version as its a good vehicle with a smaller size good for city driving and inspires confidence on highway as well.
Again i might be utterly stupid to consider that but what are your views on that .
Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:15   #27
BHPian

Huge Thanks to all the folks who have been sharing their opinion and suggestions in helping me to make the best decision.
Heck, my dad is also following this thread now. Religiously

***********Update on the Hunt so Far*************
1. The formalities for selling the Honda have been completed with a heavy heart. Now full focus on bringing the new ride home.
2.S cross AT, Sonet iMT, Ecosport, Seltos are scheduled for the test drives.
3. Kushaq has been dropped mainly due to the price and the AT is way out of reach.

I have been thinking to add POLO TSI AT in the list of Test Drive Vehicles but before that wanted to check with the experts IF this is a good idea. Space is not a concern and the other reason which compelled me to include it are:-

1.Highline Plus AT is within our reach which has all the necessary features
2.Smaller footprint means driving in the city is easy
3.Solid build inspires confidence on highways
4. I am not an expert but TSI AT 6 speed TC unit is reliable in general and should age well.

I tried searching for a long-term review and nothing substantial came up or maybe I am looking at the wrong place. So fellow owners are requested to throw some light.

Last edited by Artyom : 17th August 2021 at 17:17.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Should we consider the Polo TSI AT version as its a good vehicle with a smaller size good for city driving and inspires confidence on highway as well.
My first reaction to considering Polo was NO, primarily because it's low slung and elder folks may face ingress/egress issues. And trust me, this is a big issue. Just for analogy, there is a reason why Wagon R is a hit in the elder community.

While you're contemplating different permutations, please consider crossover type high seating as a must have.
headbanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:25   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have been thinking to add POLO TSI AT in the list...
If a VAG hatchback is acceptable, the Polo Highline AT is definitely a compelling option. Fun & reliable powertrain (old school AT tech) plus the form factor is perfect for urban and light load highway usage (1-2 passengers + light luggage). Do have him test ingress/egress extensively, as it's ultimately a low-slung hatchback.

Your choices would probably narrow down to Polo AT (small footprint, competent motor + reliable TC auto-box) and the S-Cross (refined 1.5 NA, old but reliable AT, higher seating i.e. better ingress/egress & visibility, widespread service network).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2021 at 17:27.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have been thinking to add POLO TSI AT in the list of Test Drive Vehicles but before that wanted to check with the experts IF this is a good idea. Space is not a concern and the other reason which compelled me to include it are:-
One Sentence. Go for it.

The only reason you're not able to find a review is because the AT+1.0 Combo is pretty new but available internationally. The PQ25 Polo is one hell of a machine to drive and there's absolutely no reason. In terms of reliability, in all the years this engine has been on sale, very few complaints have ever come up. + You get the safety and every once in a while ,when you'd want a little pocket-rocket as a break from the Creta, you got this too!

Here's FluidicJoy's fantastic review on his machine. (Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic)
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks