Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 17:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Which Crossover for my Dad? S-Cross vs Creta vs Seltos vs Sonet vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
My first reaction to considering Polo was NO, primarily because it's low-slung and elder folks may face ingress/egress issues.
I thought about that a bit and then the counter-question which comes to my mind is that Honda City also has a low seating position now I am not entirely sure if the Honda is lower or the Polo is lower but yes I get your point that ingress and egress have to be thoroughly verified to avoid issues in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If a VAG hatchback is acceptable, the Polo Highline AT is definitely a compelling option. Fun & reliable powertrain (old school AT tech) plus the form factor is perfect for urban and light load highway usage (1-2 passengers + light luggage). Do have him test ingress/egress extensively, as it's ultimately a low-slung hatchback.

Your choices would probably narrow down to Polo AT (small footprint, competent motor + reliable TC auto-box) and the S-Cross (refined 1.5 NA, old but reliable AT, higher seating i.e. better ingress/egress & visibility, widespread service network).
You just spoke my mind brother. I am imagining both these vehicles as a tried and tested contenders and both of them should not disappoint.
In either case, the maximum extended warranty will be purchased upfront for peace of mind. The seating position is the only roadblock and if that is cleared by a good margin then there is no reason not to for Polo. Thanks for inspiring confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
One Sentence. Go for it.

The only reason you're not able to find a review is that the AT+1.0 Combo is pretty new but available internationally. The PQ25 Polo is one hell of a machine to drive and there's absolutely no reason. In terms of reliability, in all the years this engine has been on sale, very few complaints have ever come up. + You get the safety and every once in a while, when you'd want a little pocket-rocket as a break from the Creta, you got this too!

Here's FluidicJoy's fantastic review on his machine. (Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic)
I checked on youtube and for the TSI version all I hear is good things and although it would be foolish to forget that it's a VW but then the combination in question is a reliable one and should do the trick. Thanks for inspiring confidence.
Old 17th August 2021, 18:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I thought about that a bit and then the counter-question which comes to my mind is that Honda City also has a low seating position now I am not entirely sure if the Honda is lower or the Polo is lower but yes I get your point that ingress and egress have to be thoroughly verified to avoid issues in future.
Agreed but since you keep your cars for long, your current purchase is to cater to requirements for next 5-7 years. Do a thorough analysis for ingress/egress keeping next decade in scope.

If you are fine with a low slung car, there is very little that can touch the old, yet contemporary Polo at the given price point.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:11   #33
BHPian

Did you tried Nissan Magnite/ Renault Kiger? Comes with CVT and should fit in well inside your budget. The ride quality and engine refinement may be average but if daily usage is less and limited to city rides then should be a decent option.

Else if you can wait for a month or so MG astor can also be considered. Various online portals are updating that it may come with both NA as well as Turbo engine options.
ranjitht87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
If your dad's already rejected the Brezza, S-Cross may be a tough sell. Looks apart, the overall experience; drivetrain, interiors, service etc. will be pretty similar. It's a great choice for the use-case though.
The Brezza was rejected when my dad was on the lookout as well. Mainly due to the poorly executed interiors and creaky plastics. The door panels rattled pretty loud on just a 4000kms driven test car making it feel aged. The seat squab at the rear too was short on the under thigh support and not exactly comfortable.

The S Cross on the other hand was far more premium and better executed both inside and out. The shut lines on the outside were more consistent while the interiors were pleasant.

The other reason for choosing the S Cross was the fact that the auto gearbox was better tuned and felt more eager off the line. (This could have also depended on how the test vehicles were maintained). The S cross did feel sprightly while the Brezza did feel slightly dull.

The funniest part is for the price overlap between both cars, the S Cross does feel a league apart.
advenk999 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
The funniest part is for the price overlap between both cars, the S Cross does feel a league apart...
Given a choice between the two, I'd pick the S-Cross any day too.

Brezza just doesn't work for me aesthetically. Give me the global full-size Vitara on the other hand, me likey!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2021 at 19:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
Did you tried Nissan Magnite/ Renault Kiger? Comes with CVT and should fit in well inside your budget. The ride quality and engine refinement may be average but if daily usage is less and limited to city rides then should be a decent option.

Else if you can wait for a month or so MG astor can also be considered. Various online portals are updating that it may come with both NA as well as Turbo engine options.
If it has to be Renault then I would go with the Duster eyes closed. The CVT version the ones you mentioned are good vehicles but too flashy in my opinion.
MG again is a gamble in my opinion when their long-term reliability is not established yet.

Quote:
The Brezza was rejected when my dad was on the lookout as well. Mainly due to the poorly executed interiors and creaky plastics. The door panels rattled pretty loud on just a 4000kms driven test car making it feel aged. The seat squab at the rear too was short on the under thigh support and not exactly comfortable.

The S Cross on the other hand was far more premium and better executed both inside and out. The shut lines on the outside were more consistent while the interiors were pleasant.

The other reason for choosing the S Cross was the fact that the auto gearbox was better tuned and felt more eager off the line. (This could have also depended on how the test vehicles were maintained). The S cross did feel sprightly while the Brezza did feel slightly dull.

The funniest part is for the price overlap between both cars, the S Cross does feel a league apart.
Scross feels clearly a league apart in build and fits/finish.
Brezza on the other hand is I dunno just another competent vehicle

Quote:
Given a choice between the two, I'd pick the S-Cross any day too.

Brezza just doesn't work for me aesthetically. Give me the global full-size Vitara on the other hand, me likey!
S cross without a doubt feels more premuim and well built.
This will be the default choice for us if the POLO AT or Seltos iMT doesnt work for us .
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 20:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Taigun was like a love at first sight but then we realised its out of our budget and that love was infact Infatuation :-)

2. A proper TC gearbox is what i feel will do justice to the investment however its too early and a test drive will reveal if the Auto option stays or goes out of the window.

3. The good part is that my dad is keeping an open mind and is all game to try things out and then take the descision patiently and not in a hurry.
1. Agreed, VWs feel so perfect but mostly out of reach to buy and maintain

2. If you're getting auto then TC/CVT would work best. I would suggest to stay away from AMTs too.

3. That's excellent, let him take the call and he would chose the best for himself, lot of things look brilliant on paper but not that great on road and priorities are different for each driver.

Also I didn't recommend any hatchbacks/sedans because of the ground clearance requirement. Do watch out for that as well when you check out the Polo.
Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 17th August 2021 at 20:09. Reason: punct
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 21:58   #38
BHPian

You should check out the newest kid on the block. The XUV700. Check out what all features you would be getting for your budget. The engine is powerful enough and it should be a good alternative.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 22:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
You should check out the newest kid on the block. The XUV700. Check out what all features you would be getting for your budget. The engine is powerful enough and it should be a good alternative.
The only variant which falls in our budget is the base variant(Petrol) and considering it's a big powerful engine the FE would be awfully low. So hence not considering it.
Moreover, size is not the priority as only 2 ppl will be using the vehicle.XUV 700 would be a overkill

Last edited by Artyom : 17th August 2021 at 22:20.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 22:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Just for the "Hatke Honi chaiye". How about an All black NA Ecosport S version?

Looks wicked, IMO.
(PS- That's a pic of my 3+ year old car, and I tried my best to hide the biasedness )

Other suggestions would be-
Maruti S cross
Magnite Turbo CVT
Attached Thumbnails
Which Crossover for my Dad? S-Cross vs Creta vs Seltos vs Sonet vs others-ecosport-latest-pic.jpeg  

Old 18th August 2021, 09:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Just for the "Hatke Honi chaiye". How about an All black NA Ecosport S version?
I would have bought Ecosport without even a 2nd thought but with rumours of FORD exiting indian market its tough to take that call.Secondly we keep cars for long 10 years minimum so it would be a gamble.In fact i was happy when dad decided to sell the iVtec and Ecosport was the default choice but it was shortlived after i read the post on TBHP that Ford might exit.
Your ride looks wicked

Last edited by Artyom : 18th August 2021 at 09:16.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Going by looks, Brezza is the most yawn inducing car I find on our roads these days. Although I don't know to what extent are the said rattle issues true (I own a 6 year old Swift and there is not a single rattle, even though I live in Whitefield- an area known for bad roads).

To OP, if looks are primary criteria in that budget, Sonet iMT HTK/HTX seems good match. It would fall between 11.7-12.7 on-road bangalore.
iMT would be good for convenience (disclaimer- I have no personal experience with it) at 65+ age without having to sacrifice driveability at low speeds tackle ubiquitous humps.

Hatke looks + driveability + semi-Auto + budget =

Either that, or S-cross AT.
electro-monk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:12   #43

Mod note: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short reply, affects the readability. Thanks.

Quote:
Hello Folks,

So we are in the process of selling our beloved Honda City 2009 iVTEC which served us well all these 13 years. With the 15-year rule insight, we thought its best to sell it rather than getting peanuts later on.
=======
Additionally, if you feel anything is missed or is worth considering please share and that will overall help me in deciding.

I would suggest going with the S-Cross, mainly because Maruti is able to offer reliability and peace of mind. One can be sure that they can find service and parts for a long time.

I'm a fan of Czech and German vehicles, but please check service and parts availablity in your region, as after sales support in my area is not satisfactory.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2021 at 11:16. Reason: Trimming it
akshayajoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:21   #44
BHPian

Dear Artyom,

Kia Sonet 1.5D-AT is best for your dad.

Firstly your dad is 65 already, So automatic is best for them. The second thing is Kia-Hyundai's 1.5 CRDi mill is best when it comes to performance and refinement.

Under 14L rupees, Kia Sonet 1.5D-AT is the best combination altogether. Also with the fuel prices going 100+ in some cities, Diesel will work best for you considering you are planning to keep the Car for minimum of 10 years.

The icing on the cake Is Kia Sonet 1.5D-AT is exactly 13.95L on Road Bangalore.
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro-monk View Post
Going by looks, Brezza is the most yawn inducing car I find on our roads these days.
To OP, if looks are primary criteria in that budget, Sonet iMT HTK/HTX seems good match.
Brezza to me and my dad seems just another competent vehicle. No offence to the current owners as the vehicle is a good one in its own right.
Sonet is strongly being considered however I am still confused between iMT and DCT. iMT being new at least in India may have a question mark on reliability and DCT although good it's not recommended if the drive is more in start-stop traffic. That's where POLO AT came into the picture and is also being considered as I believe it offers like best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayajoy View Post
I would suggest going with the S-Cross, mainly because Maruti is able to offer reliability and peace of mind. One can be sure that they can find service and parts for a long time.

I'm a fan of Czech and German vehicles, but please check service and parts availablity in your region, as after sales support in my area is not satisfactory.
S Cross is the one being considered as default if nothing works for us and as far as Germans are concerned the only vehicle which we are now including in the list is the Polo AT which in my opinion is the most tested combination and since maximum extended warranty would be purchased in any case so that kind of lowers the risk. Parts availability is difficult to judge although I believe that in Punjab it should not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear Artyom,

Kia Sonet 1.5D-AT is best for your dad.

Firstly your dad is 65 already, So automatic is best for them. The second thing is Kia-Hyundai's 1.5 CRDi mill is best when it comes to performance and refinement.

Under 14L rupees, Kia Sonet 1.5D-AT is the best combination altogether. Also with the fuel prices going 100+ in some cities, Diesel will work best for you considering you are planning to keep the Car for minimum of 10 years.

The icing on the cake Is Kia Sonet 1.5D-AT is exactly 13.95L on Road Bangalore.
Sirji Diesal is not being considered as my mother feels nauseous in a Diesel car so the petrol Sonet is being included in the list of Test drives.
Sonet HTX I believe is around 13 OTR Punjab which suits us.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed