Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 16:21   #46

Re: Which Crossover for my Dad? S-Cross vs Creta vs Seltos vs Sonet vs others

You can try XUV 300 W8 O Petrol. It has all the requirements mentioned in your post.
JaiHanuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiHanuman View Post
You can try XUV 300 W8 O Petrol. It has all the requirements mentioned in your post.
Preference now is being given to an Auto Transmission unit but are trying to avoid an AMT.XUV 300 is an AMT I guess so that's why and secondly the Mahindra service here is hanky panky.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:30   #48
BHPian

The logical choice would be an S-Cross but the Magnite-Kiger twins deserve a test drive for its sheer VFM package.

Also, Coming from a Honda City, was WRV given a look anytime?

Last edited by kamilharis : 18th August 2021 at 19:36.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:04   #49
BHPian

Magnite & Kiger are too flashy for dad's liking so that's why they were dropped.
So far S cross has got the max votes from everyone.
Polo is what I personally want him to buy again not at the cost of inconvenience.
TDs are going on and hopefully, we will make a choice soon.
Old 19th August 2021, 00:18   #50

If you are looking for Safety, forget the Koreans, even the Brezza would be safer.
Regarding your concerns about the engine being turbo petrol, take your dad for a test drive, if he is comfortable, go ahead.
F1 Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
The logical choice would be an S-Cross but the Magnite-Kiger twins deserve a test drive for its sheer VFM package.

Also, Coming from a Honda City, was WRV given a look anytime?
WRV was not considered due to the build quality .My cousin has one and it didnt inspire enough confidence so was dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Freak View Post
If you are looking for Safety, forget the Koreans, even the Brezza would be safer.
Regarding your concerns about the engine being turbo petrol, take your dad for a test drive, if he is comfortable, go ahead.
Yup the TD will be the determining factor and thats why we are now considering Auto transmission with a turbo petrol to flatten the learning curve as he comes from a iVtec NA engine.

Folks quick question on difference between iMT in Sonet and Torque Converter in Polo.Which one is better in terms of reliability.Appreciate your views .Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:47   #52
BHPian

Take your Dad for test drive of all vehicles he liked in pictures/ net.

Basis his feedback which car he liked most then start the prioritise process.

When my dad has to buy anything he likes me to tell him specifications and how it ranks in the market and fo in details. What are the reviews and finally which one I recommend. Then basis last 1-2 choices he picks what he liked.

I saw somewhere your dad liked Kushaq so start there and go for test drive. As for AT recommendation stay away from DSG so maybe well tuned CVT.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:49   #53
BHPian

I am definitely going to make the decision based on what he likes and what he feels more comfortable with. My role mainly would be to ensure that during booking and delivery we get the best deal and he doesn't get cheated in any way or the other. Based upon one interaction with one of the Hyundai dealers in Jalandhar they were trying to portray as if they are doing a favour by selling us a vehicle. My dad had to show him the door. So these kinds of incidents are common especially when dealers think" Oh he is an Oldie so we can sell him whatever we want " The same dealer was trying to sell an S variant of Creta which in my opinion was a test drive vehicle. Only when my dad asked for the VIN they got a little cautious and changed their tone.
So I am trying to keep him informed with all the counterarguments so that he doesn't get cheated. End of the day we will buy what he feels is the best of the lot.
Old 19th August 2021, 21:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

I strongly recommend you to make your dad test drive the Kiger CVT. It isn't that flashy in lighter shades - white, silver and grey are available. Most of your worries/requirements are taken care with Kiger.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th August 2021 at 21:12.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:12   #55
BHPian

Hello mate! Good wishes to your search for a ride for your parents. I wish to share my opinions below:-

As far as reading all your reply and the opinions of our beloved bhpians, I see a clear preference for the S Cross AT I am just guessing..... But to the point now! IMHO when we went to book our first ride, preference was parents comfort on long journeys and refinement. + Even my mom has the same sensation when she goes in diesel cars, so strictly no no! To diesel. story aside!!! The cars in my list for you and my opinions wud be:-

1) SCross ( I would recommend you this.. coz 5 star safety rated. It's a global car. It's the best Suzuki car as of now in india in terms of build quality finish etc. There is amazing space, comfort and has a very good highway and city road manners. Love it's composed nature. Since it's a Japanese engine the reliability is top notch and fun is possible if you rev the engine to its glory. Other wise a superb ride for calm smooth road manners. We had to move on with a heavy heart as XUV was so much appealing (subjective) but I still love the SCross!!!

2) XUV300 (we bought this) but not prefrered due to service at your place.

3) Creta S variant but depends on your budget!!!

4) Nexon ( the petrol was jerky I mean the manual not to mention the AMT, will definitely suggest you to avoid it)

5) Brezza:- too dated looks! Will anyday go with the SCross.

6) Seltos :- IMHO I still prefer the new creta.

7) Sonet :- loved it. It was just amazing. I wud suggest if your trying this go for the top end variant as ESP and other electronic aids are handy and the max airbags you get the better. Sonet seems well build considering my personal observation. I do understand it's based on venue. Still worth a try.

8) Kushaq and it's twin:- I personally felt it less skodaish. It's not upto the mark with the German boys IMO. And it's very new too... So need some time to trust it's reliablity.. and expensive to maintain as well.. Skoda ofcourse!

9) Nissan renault twins :- not the best in terms of ride quality. VFM is surely present but I don't see it matching your preferences.

10) venue: But definitely a good package to consider! However too common on road now.. surely shows how gud the car is appealing to the masses. Again top model is recommended if your trying this.

List can go on considering competition but my strong suggestion wud be the SCross considering your priorities you listed out in the beginning.

But as a suggestion I will definitely tell you to extensively test drive all the options including your personal favourite Polo.... Mine too . Let them decide which suits them the best and also the long term reliability question shud be answered! I will try to convey one point here "buying a car is really a big process" please take some time I mean lavishly!!!! make the best decision. Considering a 10+ years of life for your car, you must feel the same connection that you had with your city of yours. And on a side note:-

Please prefer to buy a car with ESP, traction control etc. These electronic genies will help you avoid any untoward incidents that may happen. Along with airbags you will get maximum safety and peace of mind. So that's just my personal but really a heart felt suggestion for you considering safety as the primary factor here.

On that final note ...... Happy hunting!!!
PetroHeado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:47   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I strongly recommend you to make your dad test drive the Kiger CVT. It isn't that flashy in lighter shades - white, silver and grey are available.
Well Kiger has been recommended by a lot of Bhpians and not looks like I should include that in the TD list. The point you mentioned about the lighter colors never crossed my mind and looks like lighter color vehicle can take away a lot of those flashy looks. Thanks brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroHeado View Post
Hello mate! Good wishes to your search for a ride for your parents. I wish to share my opinions below:-
Well first of all thanks for taking time and patiently sharing your opinion with me. I can really tell that you related this thread with yourself and then jolted down the points.

S Cross is the strongest contender so far and no doubt about that and will be the default choice if nothing works. The only reason I am not jumping to any conclusion yet:
  • Since we keep vehicles for long the decision should not be made in a hurry like you also suggested.
  • When we bought Honda in 09 there were not many options but now is a different market where you get what you need so why not try everything first and then decide what tastes best.
  • The good part is that NA engines are like Vanilla flavor ice creams and everyone likes them. In our case, it’s the S cross. It’s the topping we are more excited to try and then decide.
Creta S Variant is something we can extend to but the waiting time is annoying.
Sonet is a strong contender, and we are seriously considering it if the TD goes well.
Since we are now more inclined towards AT versions so Kushaq is out of budget (16 Lakhs OTR).
I mean if we want to spend that money we have other options also. Creta being one of them.
Renault Duster was also considered but again the CVT version is out of budget and secondly, there is news that Duster will be stopped so that also holds us back.
The reason Polo is being considered seriously is because of the perfect size for my parents and easy to drive clubbed with the Highline + AT coming at less than 12 Lakhs OTR.
Plus, the extended warranty can be taken till the 6th year, I guess.
Again, as you said multiple TD is the key to choose the right vehicle but again due to Corona at times I get lil concerned as to how is the TD vehicle maintained.
Is it being sanitized regularly? So, a lot of thoughts come to mind.
But yes I am thoroughly excited more than when I was buying my own vehicle to bring home the new ride and certainly everyone’s good wishes will result in getting the best for us.

Last edited by Artyom : 20th August 2021 at 12:52.
Old 20th August 2021, 14:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
But yes I am thoroughly excited more than when I was buying my own vehicle to bring home the new ride and certainly everyone’s good wishes will result in getting the best for us.
appreciate it man! You expect all the support from our forum mates who will surely be there through all the step and will help you decide the best ride. Happy hunting 💯
PetroHeado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:55   #58
BHPian

Hi everybody,in similar state of confusion as this thread starter and looking at polo high line at or venue dct for my parents as a small city car. Can’t decide, please help. Will polo be too low a car for ingress egress?
drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 22:11   #59
BHPian

**************Update**************

S Cross Auto Impressions
Dad liked the seating position
Driving AT was not that difficult than i anticipated and he was accustomed to the shifting easily
Noise at triple digit speeds if any didn't bother him and he was not concerned
Mom also liked the seating position and ingress/egress was not a problem.

Polo AT
Ingress/Egress was not an issue for them
Space was a concern as in between the driver and co passenger in the front seat . This was expected as he is coming from Honda City
Mom didn't like the Looks which again are subjective
Dad also didn't feel too positive w.r.t the overall test drive as in it was acceptable.
He was though impressed with the build quality
So POLO has been dropped out of the list

Next in List
Sonet iMT
Venue iMT
Seltos iMT

Will keep the thread updated.
Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:11   #60
BHPian

**************Update**************

Sonet iMT
Dad was amazed by the number of features on offer
He felt that the dashboard had too much going on in terms of the number of buttons and all. I wouldn't call it cluttered perhaps overloaded would be a better word.
The visibility was not an issue but then comparing it with other vehicles he felt the dashboard placement causes a bit of inconvenience.
The IMT was a breeze to drive and he thoroughly enjoyed the drive
The fit and finish of the plastics and all were appealing as well.

Seltos IMT
Almost similar impressions as Sonet except for the overloaded part.

Toyota Urban Cruiser
-Surprisingly one of my cousins asked my dad to take a TD for Urban Cruiser and so he did not realize that it's essentially Brezza with a different grill.
-He floored the pedal on the AT version and was a little annoyed with the initial jerk which the SA explained to him that it's expected behavior.
-He liked the dashboard layout as it was simple with the touch screen blending with the whole layout.
-Overall he was satisfied with the vehicle but not blown away.
-The tempting part with the Urban cruiser is that it's a NA engine with a proper AT gearbox plus having a 4 start safety rating also gives you confidence which for me is a priority irrespective of the brand.

Venue iMT
I explained to him that Venue and Sonet are exactly the same w r t mechanicals and the only difference lies in the features and looks.
Upon showing him the interior pics he liked the less cluttered dashboard and today he will take a TD.
If the Venue is finalized then it would be the SX Optional variant which we will go for as it has 6 airbags and all the other bells and whistles.

Will keep the thread updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks