Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2021, 11:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Which Crossover for my Dad? S-Cross vs Creta vs Seltos vs Sonet vs others

*************Priorities Tweaked**********************

So after taking the TD of all the above vehicles and more we observed that the confusion is ever-increasing and so we decided to go back to the drawing board and list our priorities again and now my dad is confident that he can list them with more clarity.

So below are the final ones:-

1. Fully Automatic(AT, CVT Only) as DCT I heard is not suitable for start-stop traffic/city use. iMT can be considered as well provided we don't get anything in a proper AT.

2. Rear AC vents a must

3. Better Ground clearance than Honda city which was our earlier vehicle

4. Bigger Infotainment system (8-10 inches and above)

5. Sun Roof is optional but good to have.

6. Safety rating should be good as parents will be driving it so for peace of mind/ Safe car in other words.

7.Hassle free ownership as parents will be sole users of the vehicle.

The budget is still the same 14 OTR Punjab, Cannot Extend, unfortunately.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Artyom : 28th August 2021 at 11:21.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:04   #62

What Next?...after i10

Namaste TeamBHP mods, members and readers.

This is my first post on this forum. Kindly suggest me if there are things I need to improve to adhere to the strict forum standards, will be glad to improve.

Brief background :

Im using Hyundai i10, purchased in 2011. It is my first car. It has covered close to 80K kilometres. It has been a good city car and okay for short trips out of city. Off late, its showing its age with repairs/replacements eating away 4 digit INRs. Further, it doesn't have airbags or the safety kit (ABS, EBD, etc). That triggered the lookout for a new car, preferably an upgrade to an SUV.

Requirement:

Requirements for the new car

Essential (not in particular order):
i. Must be a safe car
ii. Easy ingress and egress : for parents
iii. Reliable : Would like to keep it as long as possible
iv. Comfortable drive
v. New car (no pre-worshipped cars, as the BHPians say)

Desirable :
i. Fun to drive
ii. Things like sun/moon roofs and internet connectivity
iii. Reliable automatic

Im looking for more of a value for money car, that does its job without fuss. It should be a comfortable vehicle for 4 adults and may be the little ones, once they make their way here. It will be used for daily city drives and occasional highway drives. Now, with pandemic and prevailing situation, I would prefer personal vehicle more than public transport at least for a year or two, if not more for outstation travels. Hence, importance to safety is of paramount. No particular preference for fuel type, unless its good hybrid engine.

Cars considered:

Maruti : S-Cross, Brezza
Hyundai : Creta
Kia : Seltos
Skoda : Kushaq
Jeep : Compass
Toyota : Innova Crysta

Wary of Tata and Mahindra SUVs. However, not quite inclined due to the quality issues (niggles) and some part of me is quite comfortable with the butchy looks.

From the above Kushaq, Jeep and Innova Crysta have passed the round one.

Reasons for filtering other cars :

Maruti : Would have loved to buy a maruti for their reliability and service network, but for the arrogant local dealer. Adding the fact that both the Maruti SUVs are quite old models.

Hyundai and Kia: Seltos especially is stunning and was tempting till crash test reports and sudden brake failures spoiled the party. Expect the cars to be safe when you spend close to 1.5 or 2 million INR.

Just thinking if Kushaq fits in the bill, with breakdowns being reported within 15 days/1500 kms after leaving the show room. Not sure, when will Skoda learn to make cars that are not home (service centre) sick.

Strict no to Renault and Nissan cars. Reasons being local service centres and somehow, did not like Nissan magnite, which I test drove.

That leaves me with Jeep Compass and Innova Crysta.

I will be quite happy to consider hatchbacks, cross overs with comfortable ingress/egress and with good safety features. Suggestions are welcome, in case I missed something that could fit the requirement.

Request the community to help me with the car purchase - my second car for the next 10- 20 % of my lifetime (standard reference : 100 years assumed). I can wait till 6 months, if my present car can sustain that long.
IamThat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 21:27   #63
BHPian

Re: What Next?...after i10

You’ve not mentioned a budget directly but have referenced 15-20L so I’ll assume that. You can check out the Elantra and Octavia, the latter will be slightly more expensive and long term may be less reliable but will be more fun to drive and makes more power. Both are family sedans so should be no issue for your parents to get in/out. If you’re strict on the budget then Honda City/Verna/Vento/Rapid also come into the picture but I wouldn’t recommend as these cars are short on power and will leave you wanting more specially since you plan to keep it long term.

Drive the sedans and then drive whatever crossovers you’re considering and you’ll quickly see why the former are superior in comfort (less body roll and pitching) and handle better. Would suggest the Innova over Compass any day if you’re looking for a van, but do note it’s a body on frame chassis with lots of body roll and isn’t as refined to drive (Kia Carnival is much better for the same price), also FCA (now Stellantis) products like Jeep Compass and long term reliability don’t really go hand in hand, you can check out the VW T-Roc but again long term ownership isn’t as trouble free as with the Japanese. Cheers.
Old 30th August 2021, 21:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamThat View Post
Namaste TeamBHP mods, members and readers.

That leaves me with Jeep Compass and Innova Crysta.

Welcome to the forum ! Your requirement has written Jeep Compass all over it.
Safe, comfortable for family of 4 - check
SUV - check
Reliability - check
Goodies - check
Design, fit and finish - check
Fun to drive - double check !
You can't go wrong with Crysta either but you'd miss out on quite a lot of features , sunroof mainly, for almost same amount of money. Take extended test drives with your family in both cars, over all kind of roads and then take decision. Happy shopping !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 03:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

For no-nonsense long term durability and value for money, nothing beats the Tiago and the S-Cross IMO Both are built solidly, offer good handling ability, have excellent manual gearboxes, are comfortable and don't seem unnecessarily expensive to buy.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 31st August 2021 at 03:40.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 19:44   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
You’ve not mentioned a budget directly but have referenced 15-20L so I’ll assume that.
====
VW T-Roc but again long term ownership isn’t as trouble free as with the Japanese. Cheers.
Octavia is a real great car when its running. However, reliability is one thing that Skoda is still lagging, at least to my appreciation. I have checked out Rapid, City, Verna and Yaris and could sense the difference going from i10. One issue with sedans is their lower seating. Its great for comfort (body roll & pitch), but ingress and egress for seniors is a point of concern. All of them seemed more or less similar in this aspect. Of course, City is ruled out for poor build quality, Verna for poor rear seat space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Welcome to the forum ! Your requirement has written Jeep Compass all over it.
=====
sunroof mainly, for almost same amount of money. Take extended test drives with your family in both cars, over all kind of roads and then take decision. Happy shopping !
Thanks for the comment. I wasn't sure on Jeep Compass maintenance in the long and its reliability, considering the fact the nearest service centre outside Visakhapatnam is approx. 400 Kms either South or North. Would have to read the ownership threads of Jeep. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
For no-nonsense long term durability and value for money, nothing beats the Tiago and the S-Cross IMO Both are built solidly, offer good handling ability, have excellent manual gearboxes, are comfortable and don't seem unnecessarily expensive to buy.
Thanks for the new suggestion. Tiago looks smaller than i10. Will check out though. S-Cross some how did not connect me, if you understand what I mean. And its a relatively older model.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st September 2021 at 19:46. Reason: Trimming quoted posts, please avoid quoting entire large posts for replies, Thanks.
Old 6th September 2021, 09:22   #67
BHPian

My boss's boss is looking for a new car.

His current drive is 9 years old manual petrol Ertiga and he doesn't do more than 8-10k kms a year

Monthly one 600 km trip , hence touring capabilities are must.

Other requirements are
Petrol only
Comfortable in ingress egress
Ergonomics
Budget 10-20L, lesser the better
Little performance will be welcome hence AMTs are out of equation
He already knows that Maruti's 4 speed unit is slow but XL6 is still in consideration
Wide service availability network
And last a good resale value, same or better than his current Ertiga which is easily fetching him above 4 while he bought the vehicle for 8

Thanks for your suggestions. I will share this link and post his answers to your queries if any. BTW he is from Automotive Industry. Since he is a technical person, replies like why diesel and not petrol, why resale will not matter after 10 years or any other arguments that can challenge his current requirements are also welcome.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th September 2021 at 21:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Hispaniola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:55   #68
BHPian

Confused between Tata Nexon and Hyundai Creta

Hi all, this is my first thread on the forum. First of all huge thanks to all the BHPians for sharing such valuable pearls of wisdom across the forum - I have learnt a lot from you all. I am trying to present all my points as clearly as possible, but pardon me for any errors.

Here's a bit of background:

I am a software engineer, currently working from home. We have a Celerio CNG (5 years/48k kms) at home - which belongs to my dad. We keep our cars for long time. Before the Celerio, we owned an Alto which was with us for 10 trouble-free years.

I also intend to keep my car for 10 years minimum, and this is my first car which I will buy from my own salary (very special for me) - so let's not keep any scope of wrong decision here.

Fuel type:

I plan on touring a lot with my car. Also, the usage will increase two-fold once work from office resumes, since this is the one and only vehicle I plan to keep (once I move to a different city for job requirements).

Considering my planned usage, fuel prices and the fuel efficiency, I feel that a diesel car makes sense for me. I am ready to pay extra amount for a diesel car once, rather than crying every weekend at the fuel bunk.

Body type:

This. This was a big head vs heart decision. I prefer and love sedans. I have even mentioned in a couple of posts here that I will be getting myself a 5th gen Honda City very soon but as we know - the decisions always change when we start considering all the influencing factors.

I called in for a Honda City test drive and they brought a petrol ZX MT variant. The car felt very spacious on the inside and looked bigger in person than expected. But there were 2 main issues which cropped up in the test drive:
  1. All my love for this car started vaporizing quickly as we moved on with the drive. The rear suspension felt very weird - the car felt as if it was bouncing on the slightest of road undulations. The engine noise inside the cabin was much higher than what I would expect for a premium car like this. Also, the build quality felt very ordinary by Honda standards.
  2. Thanks to the bad roads at my place, I managed to hit the underbelly while negotiating one of the bad potholes. This was the deciding factor. It will be very painful for me if my new car hits the underbody every other day (plus the bad roads are everywhere).
Also, when I worked out my fuel requirements, Honda City was eliminated because of a not-so-great diesel engine (when I am getting the same engine with the same power figures in a Rs. 8 lacs Amaze, why would I pay Rs. 18 lacs for it?). Gorgeous car - no doubt, but the stars didn't align for this one it seems.

Hyundai Verna was another contender with a strong diesel engine, but the rear seat space (both - leg as well as head room) was not worth the asking price. Also, the interiors felt a little dull for my taste (Honda City effect?)

So, now considering the road conditions and the fuel type requirement - it has to be an SUV.

Final requirements:
  • SUV
  • Diesel Engine
  • Manual Transmission
  • Should feel a real upgrade in terms of size and space from hatchback category
Dilemma:

I have shortlisted Tata Nexon XZ+(O) (Dark edition) and Hyundai Creta SX(O) after looking at all the available options in the market. Other options either didn't feel like a proper upgrade in terms of size (Venue, Sonet, XUV300) or don't have a diesel powertrain (S Cross, Kushaq, Taigun).

I have curated a mini-comparison with all the relevant pros and cons of both the cars and here they go:

Tata Nexon:

Pros: 5 star crash test rating.

Cons: No rear disc brakes, Tata's niggles and service quality, 2 airbags only - even in the top trim, 6 months service interval, and that HORRIBLE instrument cluster (did they get inspired by a Casio Scientific Calculator?).

Hyundai Creta:

Pros: Size (feels like a big upgrade), Rear disc brakes, 6 airbags, Auto Dimming IRVM, Beautiful TFT instrument cluster, LED headlamps, Very silent and refined engine, ventilated seats, electric seat adjustment.

Cons: Safety? (Coming from Kia Seltos' GNCAP result and Hyundai's brake failure history).

Neutral: Panoramic sunroof, 10.25 inch touchscreen, etc.

There is approx 4.5 lakh rupee price difference in the on-road prices and Hyundai Creta has 30 weeks waiting period, while Tata Nexon has about 4 weeks waiting period for the dark edition (even lesser for normal variant).

Now here are some of the key differences between the 2 brands in terms of attitude that I noticed:

Hyundai:
  • There are 3 Hyundai dealers in my city and NONE of them has a test drive car available for Creta (despite being one of the best selling models in their lineup).
  • Only 1 dealer had a Creta available on display - that too was not the SX(O) variant. We wanted to check out black as well as red colour options to decide based on how it looks in person.
  • All the dealers just wanted me to book the car - none of them even agreed to arrange a test drive in the future, even if I agreed to book the car with them.
  • On social media also, the car brands are actively engaging with the public so that any potential customer is not missed - but not Hyundai. I dropped an email to them for a couple of queries as well as tweeted at them twice - but no response whatsoever.
  • I am worried that if this is their attitude before buying their car, how worse will it get once I make the purchase. God forbid but if I ever need some support related to the product or need to escalate a complaint, how will I deal with such an attitude? There's a good reason why Maruti is still at the top spot by a good margin.
Tata:
  • Tata's attitude I found exactly opposite to Hyundai's. The salesmen were polite and tried their best to answer each and every one of my doubts.
  • They attended me enthusiastically the same way, every time I visited them for any query/to see the car in person.
  • They agreed to provide me with test drive - even multiple if there is something I need to check again etc.
  • They have multiple units and colour options available at their dealership to compare the colours/variants etc.
  • Haven't interacted with Tata yet on social media, but other than this the experience with them so far has been pleasant.
One more observation I would like to share:

My cousin's Altroz is just back home after a minor accident (repairs taken care of by insurance) but the work quality is not very good. The dent repairs have been done in a shoddy manner and they are clearly visible when viewed from certain angles. They have also missed some deep scratches in the bumper. It does not inspire confidence handing over the car to such workshops and it is where Tata has to improve a lot.

There is no scope of increasing my budget any further as I started my car search with the Honda City and now the Creta has stretched it to the max possible limit.

So here it is - all my points. I have mentioned whatever I could remember at the time of writing this post and will add my points later in the replies if I remember anything else. Thanks in advance to all BHPians and hoping that I am able to clear this confusion soon with all your help.

Best Regards,
Saksham
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 23:21   #69
BHPian

Re: Confused between Tata Nexon and Hyundai Creta

Saksham,
Since you are looking at cars which are a segment apart, the better option to choose from will indeed be the Creta. But I would suggest waiting a month or so for the XUV 700. Since you can stretch to about 19 Lakh for the Creta SX(O) you will be able to get a bigger, more powerful and equally feature loaded vehicle in the XUV. And it will also give you a real satisfaction of upgrading from a hatch to a 'big car'.
quantobigboot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 03:55   #70
anb
BHPian

Why are you considering Nexon when you have the budget for Harrier XM?

Last edited by anb : 8th September 2021 at 03:59.
Old 8th September 2021, 10:06   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Why are you considering Nexon when you have the budget for Harrier XM?
From his options, I think he is only considering the top end models of whichever car he is looking at. Also the Harrier has not been sent for the crash test and there are numerous complaints about the Harrier on the forum as well.
M A D over CARS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 23:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Have you made your decision or in waiting period? Did you check out the XUV700 and the Astor? Maybe they can cover all your new requirements especially the XUV700. Its is super value for money, especially considering your budget you can go for the one above base variant which has nearly everything.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2021 at 20:09. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 28th October 2021, 23:15   #73
BHPian

*******Update**************
Finally, dad took delivery of Venue DCT SX+ on 14th October,21 for dad after a wait of 15 days. The vehicle is Oct,21 manufacturing and odo reading was 11km.

OTR Punjab - 1307000
Insurance was 41600 with the following add ons:-

RTI
Zero Dep
Engine Protect
Consumables
Personal Belongings
Key Protect

Extended warranty till 5th year/60k and
SOT for 5years/60k was also bought for peace of mind(Prices for these have been included in OTR)

Overall the delivery was nothing much to talk about just a regular affair.

Would like to thank the forum for all the help and suggestions.
Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 19:58   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to thank the forum for all the help and suggestions.
Congrats Man!!! Really good choice. Hyundai Venue DCT is indeed a good option, its safe, practical, comfortable and balanced handling with a linear power output and with a decent ground clearance and added feel good factors its the best choice for your parents.
Really happy for your purchase. Sharing all wishes for happy and safe motoring.

Note from Support: Quote trimmed. Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2021 at 20:09. Reason: See note.
PetroHeado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 23:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post
BTW he is from Automotive Industry.
The requirements basically point to either the XL6 or the S-Cross but wouldn't they be more of the same and a bit dated respectively? If the answer is no then these should be the top contenders.

Outside of these I would say the Creta could fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
There is no scope of increasing my budget any further as I started my car search with the Honda City and now the Creta has stretched it to the max possible limit.
I would suggest a TD of the XUV300 too in addition to the ones you listed.

Just a word of caution to make sure that your highway usage is good enough in light of the DPF issues in city drives.

The new exterior designs of Tata cars are really good but for that cluster. Seems like their design team intentionally messes something up as a "kaala teeka" to avoid malafide glances

Quote:
Finally, dad took delivery of Venue DCT SX+ on 14th October,21 for dad after a wait of 15 days. The vehicle is Oct,21 manufacturing and odo reading was 11km.
Congrats and wish you and your Dad happy drives

That's a quick delivery going by recent Venue purchases or maybe that's only applicable to diesels.

Last edited by shancz : 29th October 2021 at 23:24. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed