Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 12:33   #31
AZT
BHPian

Re: Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families

Fantastic thread. Great work Turbanator and thanks for helping out the needy Vivek.
Old 9th September 2021, 16:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
We have a spare one at Gurgaon, if you can manage RTO things, we can just transfer to your name without a charge after whatever repairs it needs, if that helps in anyway.
Quote:
Yes, that's important. Flatbed is not required. We can send you on Car-carrier on paid basis, without a charge. Don't worry about the repairs either, we will take care. Let me send you a PM.
I'm hugely inspired!
I'm 24 and just started earning, can't donate a car but I'm willing to do something. How can I donate?

Also, I come by NCR a couple of times every year. I would really love to do a run with you donating and helping out the needy. I want to volunteer and cherish that day.

If Vivek permits, I'll find you and help you.

Last edited by na_agrawal : 9th September 2021 at 16:02. Reason: Spelling
na_agrawal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Isuzu D-Max will be my pick. You can explore options of collecting the funds online. If you want to keep to yourself and this will be on a higher budget, look for an old Evalia or a similar from Leyland. It can come very cheap, carry a lot of load and is easy to drive.

We have a spare one at Gurgaon, if you can manage RTO things, we can just transfer to your name without a charge after whatever repairs it needs, if that helps in anyway.
Hats off to you sir. A real act of humanity.
Bhalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:45   #34
BHPian

Kudos to Vivek and Turbanator for the great deed. What a fine show of brotherhood.
Keep up the good work. Feel free ro PM me in case any help is required from my end.
Team-bhp rocks.
Old 9th September 2021, 18:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
1. If our beneficiaries are old couples without children or disabled people, we supply as long as they are alive.
2. If they are single women with kids, we supply till the kids complete education and get a job.
3. If its a complete family with an ex-earning member who has lost his/her job due to various reason like accident, covid etc..., we supply till they get their job back.

That's why we visit them every month and see their situation and then decide to stop or continue.
Aren't these category of people eligible for PM anna yojana (free food scheme)?

It has been regularly broadcasted that 80 crore people are fed by this scheme free of cost.

Please check this link if it helps link

To be honest, I have not met anyone who have availed this scheme.

Salute to your great effort.

Not to mention Turbanator's incredible offer.

Hope things work out well for you.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:11   #36

You're doing a great job. We stacked 30 rice bags into our Rexton for a 150km drive and distribution... but ours was a one-off thing. Keep up your good work
Attached Thumbnails
Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-unloading-rice-bags..jpg  

Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-rice-bags-stacked.jpg  

Blessing is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:58   #37
BHPian

Ok. So here is the latest update.
To begin with, we are just a bunch of like-minded guys (4 to be precise) trying to serve the needy. We have not formed a trust or a registered organization.
That means we will not be able to accept any donations from anyone who expects a receipt or anything which can satisfy an auditor.
Nor will we get any loans.
Hence, Turbanator's generous offer could not see the light of the day. However we are extremely grateful for his help. Thank you so much sir.
During the last two weeks we hunted multiple used Omins. But as expected, none satisfied us enough. Maybe all of us have crossed that era. We just could not imagine ourselves leaving behind the safety and comfort of our TUVs and driving Omnis from a previous generation.
So for now, we will happily chug along in our TUVs. Some glimpses of our yesterday's distribution in Nanjingoodu, Mysore.
Attached Thumbnails
Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-img0570.jpg  

Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-img0571.jpg  

Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-img0612.jpg  

shrinz.vivek is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Aren't these category of people eligible for PM anna yojana (free food scheme)?

It has been regularly broadcasted that 80 crore people are fed by this scheme free of cost.
Thank you for your suggestion. We checked BPL card availability of all 20 families in Najingoodu yesterday. And you were right!! All of them were indeed availing free ration from the government (Rice-7kg, Wheat-2kg, Ragi-2kg) As a result of this we have decided to cut down our rice supply from 10kg to 5kg/family with immediate effect. The saved money will be used to adopt more families.

With this; I request the mods to close this thread if required or we can keep it alive to share many more such useful tips to make charity more efficient.
shrinz.vivek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:08   #39
BHPian

Here is an update to our operations. After much thought and deliberation, we went ahead and purchased an used Maruti S-Presso as our official charity car.
The reasons for choosing this car were simple
1. Trusted Maruti reliability and cheap maintenance.
2. S-presso has A/C & power steering while Omni and Eeco doesn't.
3. High GC helps in our onward journey with luggage, and the soft coil spring suspension keeps us happy while returning empty.

One volunteer from our group was kind enough to propose a deal to soften the financial impact without him losing a lot of money.
1. This purchase will be completely funded by him upfront. The charity organizer will pay a fixed amount each month and will take ownership of the car once the volunteer gets his investment back.
2. Service and spares cost will be split in 70:30 ratio between the organizer and the volunteer as the KM usage per month will also be approximately in the same ratio.

This felt like a win-win situation for both because:
1. The volunteer gets his entire investment back while also getting to use the car for 30% of the month. So theoretically he gets to use the car using only the interest portion of the investment
2. The organizer now doesn't have to pay rent on hired or borrowed cars every other day. He doesn't have the risk of stalling his charity if he doesn't find any car for whatever reason.
3. For approximately the same expenditure as now, he will get a car all for himself at the end of few years. So theoretically he gets to use a (fairly nice) car now and gets to keep it in the future using only the principal portion of the investment.

All said and done, it is difficult to judge who stands to gain or lose in terms of pure numbers. All that matters now is that we have the assurance of having a car dedicated for our charity.

Coming to the car itself, except for the fact that its not structurally safe, this is one gem of a car.
1. Extremely fun to drive.
2. Small enough to navigate and take quick U-turns in narrow village roads with SUV's parked on either side. (Yes! I am amazed at the number of Breezas and Cretas parked in our villages)
3. Can comfortably carry food for upto 25 families; both in terms of space and weight. It doesn't touch any road hump even with 25kits and 2 big adults. That's a cool 735kg of payload.
4. Has slight SUVish feeling while driving on broken road without any spine breaking TUV300 body roll.
5. Does all this while returning an impressive 20kmpl (A/c on always, more than 30 stops in a day)

I am note sure if this is an SUV but it surely is one tiny little "UTILITY VEHICLE" for us !!

PS: We have now completed over a month with it happily. A glimpse from our latest Najingood trip. We intentionally don't fold the seat down so as to prevent the bags from all mixing up and becoming a mess.

Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-spresso-charity.jpg
The car with 21 kits. One kits has ration for one couple for one month.
shrinz.vivek is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 08:45   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isuzu D-Max will be my pick. You can explore options of collecting the funds online. If you want to keep to yourself and this will be on a higher budget, look for an old Evalia or a similar from Leyland. It can come very cheap, carry a lot of load and is easy to drive.

Reviving an old thread. On social media like Team BHP many of us make claims and statements that might be for posturing. But some of us like brother Turbanator mean what they say and say what they mean.

The very vehicles Turbanator is referring to in this post above have been donated by him to charitable hospitals I am closely associated with. But not just donated - he had them serviced and installed a new set of tyres on one {where it was needed} before handing over. That is real heart - compassion on two feet, that's Turbanator.

Both are being converted by us to ambulance-cum-medical staff movers.

Let's put our hands together for a round of applause for Turbanator and the power of Team BHP.
Attached Thumbnails
Which utility vehicle for charity? Need to carry food for poor families-img20211117wa0017-002.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 25th November 2021 at 08:49.
V.Narayan is offline   (445) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 15:19   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
to charitable hospitals I am closely associated with.
Sir, we are not doing anything if we look at the efforts you do in running this Trust and Hospital.

For the other members, who may not be aware Mr. Narayan is one of the trustees of this Child Heart hospital. Request everyone to support them in any way to best of abilities. We are so proud to have a fellow member like Mr. Narayan.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th November 2021 at 01:42. Reason: as requested
Turbanator is offline   (327) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The very vehicles Turbanator is referring to in this post above have been donated by him to charitable hospitals I am closely associated with. But not just donated - he had them serviced and installed a new set of tyres on one {where it was needed} before handing over. That is real heart - compassion on two feet, that's Turbanator.
Quote:
For the other members, who may not be aware Mr. Narayan is one of the trustees of this Child Heart hospital -
Truly fantastic work, both of you. More power and wishes to you. Such stories make tbhp truly unique. Incredible!

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th November 2021 at 01:43. Reason: Quoted post edited
amol4184 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:29   #43
BHPian

Really appreciate both Turbanator and Mr. Narayan on their generosity. This is what makes this forum special. Members being genuine and not flashy.
vennarbank is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:50   #44
BHPian

This is really great. Thank you for helping make the world around us a little better in your own way.
dsvikki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The very vehicles Turbanator is referring to in this post above have been donated by him to charitable hospitals I am closely associated with. But not just donated - he had them serviced and installed a new set of tyres on one {where it was needed} before handing over.
Take a bow Turbanator. A great gesture indeed. The power of T BHP comes to the fore. It shows bhpians just don't love and care for their cars, but for the fellow beings and needy too.

@ Mr. Narayan, The "Love All, Serve All" written in the backdrop on the building was so apt when you clicked the cars' picture . Best wishes to you for all the noble work you carry out and may your tribe grow.

More power to you both !

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th November 2021 at 09:55.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks