Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which engine for my Compass?
Turbo-Diesel 191 89.25%
Turbo-Petrol 23 10.75%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 15:56   #1

Jeep Compass | Petrol or diesel?

Hey folks, I'm looking to buy a Jeep Compass soon. My issue is that I'm split between the two engine choices. The issue with Petrol is the lower efficiency and the petrol/ethanol blend issue as mentioned here: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/impact...petrol-engines

On the other hand, the diesel engine worries me because diesel cars seem to be getting phased out, and I won't want this car's life to be cut short. Additionally, the diesel variant will set me back by another 2-2.5 lakhs, which I'd prefer to avoid unless necessary. I'm looking at the Sport trim with manual transmission.

Basically want to ensure I pick a model that
1) Won't be rendered obsolete due to some fuel mix changes or regulations
2) Won't cost too much to buy and to run

I'd love your opinions on this. The petrol/ethanol mix issue seems like it could end up being a big deal, else would've been leaning towards petrol.
plosh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 15:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Jeep Compass | Petrol or diesel?

It all depends on your individual preferences, but I (and a majority of BHPians) prefer the 2.0 turbo-diesel of the Compass. It's a capable motor with excellent driveability, mid-range punch, robustness & good efficiency. On the other hand, I found the 1.4L turbo-petrol to be above average, at best. Where the 2.0 diesel really impresses, the 1.4L turbo-petrol feels overworked, laggy at low revs, guzzles fuel when driven hard and has average NVH levels at high rpm. The only area that the petrol delighted me in was outright acceleration, but that's it.

I would pick the diesel. Don't worry about 10 year bans. They aren't coming to Ponda / Goa anytime soon. Yes, the diesel is the more expensive, but its also the better engine, more fun to drive, more efficient and will get you significantly higher resale whenever you sell it. Don't sweat over phasing out either. For one reason or the other, a lot of spectacular engines (Ford's 3.2L, S-Cross 1.6L, Maruti's 1.5L diesel, Audi's 3.0 TDI, Hyundai's 1.6L CRDi etc. etc.) got phased out, but not because of any fault of the respective powerplants. Whoever owns those motors today still loves them.

Have you test-driven both for at least 10 - 15 km? If not, please do so this week.

Last edited by GTO : 13th September 2021 at 08:41.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 00:06   #3

Re: Jeep Compass | Petrol or diesel?

Thanks for the reply GTO! Helped clear my doubts for sure. I'm going to be testing both this week.
plosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Compass's 1.4 Petrol Unit is a pretty 'Average' Performer.
It could keep up with the Diesel, if you drive it Pedal-To-Metal.
However, it is real world conditions, it is under-whelming.

Simply put, it pales, in comparison with it's 2.0 Diesel cousin.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

The INR 2 lakhs odd that you pay upfront higher than the petrol variant you will almost certainly make up t a large extent when the time comes to resell the Compass. Buyers will prefer the diesel variant any day over the petrol variant. The upfront premium will get you a better and much more fun to drive as well as more efficient engine, as compared to the petrol. Go for the diesel variant, eyes closed, once you have reconciled yourself to the above considerations.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:02   #6
BHPian

I voted for the petrol assuming you would be not using the car for more than 1200 kms a month. Assumed 9kpl petrol and 13kpl diesel in Goa cycle. No pedal to metal.
Diesel will be costlier to maintain and if you are going to keep the car for at least 3 years, I don't see any net difference in resale i.e. The difference in initial outlay would remain the same. In fact you may gain slightly if the outlay difference is invested wisely.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:38   #7
BHPian

I test drove the petrol version yesterday, it wasn’t impressive at all. It is very sluggish at low rpms and while the car feels great in terms of build and finish, the engine is a big let down.
arpandiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:29   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Diesel will be costlier to maintain
That is yesterday's news when petrols were only naturally-aspirated & diesels had more frequent oil changes. Today's turbocharged petrols will cost as much to maintain as their diesel counterparts, if not more. They are as complex (turbo, direct-injection, intercooler etc.) and have the same service intervals.

In fact, based on all the cases I have heard of so far, I am willing to bet that the long-term reliability of the 2.0 diesel will be superior to the 1.4 petrol, thus making it cheaper to maintain.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 09:20   #9
BHPian

Since diesel AT only comes with a 4x4, wouldn't it require extra bit of care on a long term basis (due to additional hardware and software)? Asking because this is a big add-on in diesel AT, which is not there in petrol AT. Hence, for people who will not use 4x4 capability of this car often, does it make sense to look it the other way..

Lastly, since petrol AT is DCT, how reliable is the gearbox?
Old 14th September 2021, 09:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For one reason or the other, a lot of spectacular engines (Ford's 3.2L, S-Cross 1.6L, Maruti's 1.5L diesel, Audi's 3.0 TDI, Hyundai's 1.6L CRDi etc. etc.) got phased out, but not because of any fault of the respective powerplants. Whoever owns those motors today still loves them.
OT: You missed an important one, the VAG 2.0 TDI
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 09:58   #11
BHPian

Diesel it is all the way, when i test drove the Compass Diesel when it was launched, it reminded me of the invincible Diesel (pre facelift) version of my Cruze, and these engines are technically related too.
What that means is the engine felt like a force of nature and a fright train in the way it pulled and pulled so effortlessly, combine that with good low end, great chassis you got a proper fun to drive car.

Coming to the whole Diesel vs Petrol debate just generally, i just came back from a trip to Himachal on my Creta 1.6 Diesel with our relatives on Baleno Petrol and despite me carrying more weight, 5 people vs 3, plus much more luggage, and generally much heavier car weight, having much more powerful engine, and driving in the same conditions and similar speeds (we were both following each other), my car at the end returned 21 kmpl vs Baleno's 18 kmpl (calculated using tankful to tankful).
I'am not comparing the engines further as these cars themselves are unrelated and any comparison pointless but just giving a quick impression of Diesel's outright excellent fuel efficiency to power ratio, i had never made such a long trip on my car and came back home pleasantly surprised and shocked.
Rocketscience is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

The underlying factor here is whether you want an automatic or a manual. If it is the latter then diesel for sure. But the scenario changes the moment you want an automatic. I just cannot digest such long clutch travel and no cruise control on a 28L car. So when I turned to the automatic, the diesel variant turned out to quite unimpressive and super expensive.

I had vague memories of driving the Petrol AT in 2019 and did not like it then. The reason was, I did a back to back TD with a Skoda Octavia 1.8L (petrol).

Fast Forward to Sept 12, when I went to check out the petrol AT for a friend and was surprised to see that for city driving the petrol AT is quite good. I had no issue in bumper to bumper traffic. You just cannot drive it like any other free revving petrol engine. It is a cruiser. Period. And if you know how to modulate your accelerator pedal with gentle inputs you will enjoy the car so much. I figured this out within 500mt of driving.

So I think the petrol AT is a solid car at this price point. The only bug is the fuel efficiency. 7kmpl is hard to digest to be honest. But I think it is a decent trade off when it comes to the 3.5L price difference with an AT and the additional DEF hassles.

Last edited by Pancham : 14th September 2021 at 11:23.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:20   #13
BHPian

The diesel clatter of Compass is a music to my ears.

Unlike Innova or other diesel SUVs, you will not be able to move the car from second gear at zero speed. But once you release the clutch at 1st and 2nd gear, the bull tries to rage ahead, which you need to quickly control by applying brake and NOT clutch. Once it starts to roll, you will enjoy the diesel engine punch on a wide band of speed.

Go for diesel. Am sure you will love it.
livetodrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:27   #14
BHPian

I've had one long test drive of the diesel and driven a petrol Compass from Mumbai to Jaipur. Even with that long a drive I couldn't find a reason to like the petrol, there's just no comparison between the two. Diesel is significantly more efficient (petrol returned 12 kmpl on a spirited highway run!!!, My Vento TDi although a different engine routinely returns 22+). Diesel also has better low-end and builds up speed without effort. I found petrol to be terrible although that may be more the gearbox.

And as for gremlins, diesels are just so much better - given their longer, far more common marriage with turbos and DI vs petrols. I've also found FNGs to be more comfortable with diesels vs turbo petrols and that helps if you want to hold on to the car for long.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 14th September 2021 at 11:29.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:36   #15
BHPian

I have a Compass petrol AT 2020 model. I had test drove both petrol and Diesel last year and liked diesel more overall (especially low end torque). My requirement was an AT gearbox, and the cost difference between for diesel AT and petrol AT was 5+ lakhs, so I went with petrol. I had to compromise on the Petrol AT gearbox which is not that great in city traffic but my 70-80% runs are on highway, so I am okay with it.

In your case, since you are looking for manual transmission, I would suggest to go for Diesel. The only thing you should be looking out for is your acceptance level for the NVH Diesel. I found it little more than my comfort, but that could be just my perception as I have been driving only petrol cars. Have long test drives and take your time to chose.
sushantk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks